Author Topic: Group Re-Read: The Visser Chronicles  (Read 5850 times)

Offline Gafrash

Re: Group Re-Read: The Visser Chronicles
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 05:18:44 AM »
1. What do you think about the dynamic between Visser's One and Three?
Classically political, and they seem to almost religiously hate here.
HOW did Visser Three uncover all the proves to charge a Visser above his ranking?!

2. Edriss' initial opinions of Earth are quite interesting. For instance, she surmises that the most influential place on Earth is "El lay", among other things. What do you think of her initial opinions? Are they accurate? Or the result of cultural ignorance?
If you are talking movie culture, yeah, I'd go LA Hollywood and all. I guess it was what the Yeerk decided to tap into. All those popular characters and celebrities seem to come from there. Anything either than pop culture, I am forced to disagree.

3. What do you think about Essam and Edriss' relationship? After all, Yeerks don't mate unless they are ready to die, and it is a union of three, not two. With this in mind, was their love for one another purely the result of their human hosts? Or something else?
I thought it was peculiar, how at this stage of the series, KA hammers in that funny fact that Yeerks are intelligent sentient species capable of love much like humans and all. In a sick and twisted way, these two Yeerks WERE vital in the birth of the twins.
One could argue that it was all the host's feelings and everything, but it was the Yeerks themselves who were in direction of the actions. These Chronicles are the biggest proof that the hosts' emotions and sensations seep through to the Yeerk. And even a merciless ruthless powerful Yeerk can succumb to the simplest capabilities.

4. What are your thoughts on Edriss' children?
I am struggling to remember how the boy-twin got to be a homeless-drunk. And I can't recall what happened to the girl-twin (Madra?!). Did she get away?!

5. This is the only time in the series where we see the Animorphs attack without knowing what planning led up to the attack firsthand. Any speculation (like why Cassie is in polar bear morph and not wolf, for instance?). Fanfic challenge: write the book that WOULD accompany this mission, if it existed.
I always tried to picture this, too.
I reckon the Anis would HAVE NOT taken her tip, but Marco would have realized that his mum was in peril and they all would have voted to check it out. Having contacted Erek, he himself might have confirmed it, and by some luck happened to find a way that didn't conflict with his programming to help them get to where Visser One was without any detection.
Given what Visser One knew about them at this stage, I think they opted to go all out. And hence Cassie in polar bear and Rachel and Tobias (most experient in Hork-Bajir-morphs) were tactically chosen to throw enemy forces off.
HOW they got the uncoscious Visser One to the safety holographic zone in plain sight of the Yeerk pool without detection, I DUNNO!! Heheheh!

6. What did you think about the conversation between Marco and Eva?
One of the most sensitive and touching moments in the book! Eva shows to be a strong woman herself, inspite of all the demise she's been through with Visser One. Marco had to make a tough choice for the greater good. I am not sure I could have done the same.

7. The Council pardon both Visser's, giving them a chance for redemption. Why do you think they did this? Do you think it was a smart move, politically speaking?
It was conscienciously merciful on their part.
I think it's as simple as those 'higher minds' thinking that they COULD NOT afford to lose, not one, but TWO of their greatest military leaders. Though, I think they were prepared to do so, they could not kill one of their own forces at THIS stage of the war. For good or worse, those two Vissers have given the Empire results.
What I hate most is that we never get details of how the whole Anati System assignment went, though we know later on how Visser One fared.

8. Overall opinions on the book? Favorite quotes, scenes, etc.
I thoroughly enjoyed these Chronicles. The cover is c-o-m-p-l-e--t-e-l-y deceiving. But in the end it's worth it, because the reader gets something new and better. That is, we get a lot of insight on the Invasion from the perspective of the one Yeerk who commenced it all. It had lots of reading highpoints: definitely the surprises Visser Three came up with (some of them were like NO WAY! THESE CAN'T BE THE ANIMORPHS! SHE CAN'T SHOOT HER CHILD!!!), but the scene with Marco talking to his free-mum was GOLD! Even if just for that moment.
The trial itself was a good plot for this book. Having said that, I wish there more detail had been given on the Edriss/Eva in Marco's home facade. It's still a little abstract HOW and WHEN the Yeerk came about Eva and for how long she similutated human family living.
And it was a brilliant move on KA to have this book link in plot-wise with the end of The Proposal. I thought it was refreshing to have this change of pace.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 06:34:18 AM by Gafrash »

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 04:35:56 PM »
I am struggling to remember how the boy-twin got to be a homeless-drunk. And I can't recall what happened to the girl-twin (Madra?!). Did she get away?!

The boy-twin wasn't a homeless-drunk. Hildy was. After Essam was torn from Hildy's head he was never the same and ended up a homeless, mentally ill, drunk.

The boy, Darwin, was caught and made a Controller. He was only about 9 when this book took place....I think. And we never find out what happened to Madra, his sister.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline rocklobster

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2009, 06:41:36 AM »
Sounds like that would be ample material for a fanfic, people! What do you think happened to Madra?  Let's see some fanfiction!

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2009, 08:13:32 AM »
A story about her finding out about the Yeerks, and trying to get her brother back.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 11:26:32 AM »
I'd love to, but I'm bogged down with my current projects. :P Maybe I'll put it in the works for down the road. It would be an interesting story, that's for sure!

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2009, 12:40:58 PM »
I seem to recall that a lot of people paired her up with Marco, even though she's a lot younger than him... o_O
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 06:13:00 AM »
The story of Madra would make a great fanfic! And it's a nice move to make Visser One's somewhat-authentic-daughter of the previous host, pair up with the daughter of the current host.

I have another ponder,
In this story we are iluded to the introduction of the Anati system. Nothing ever came out of it, but we know that Visser One was assigned its conquer and ultimately lost. Whatever could have happened there?!
Next thing we know she's tied to a chair, starving and in her last stages as she is tantalized at the Yeerk pool. WHATEVER could have caused them to execute this type of termination on her?!

Visser One was thus sent far away from Earth, I think it's safe to assume she further tried to smear Visser Three by having a hand in sending the Inspector in to make a proper report on his Earth campaign. Visser Three is to be put under the microscope in the following issues.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 07:47:13 AM »
Well, the animorphs do make contact with the Andalites, and warn them of the trap. Perhaos it failed, and everything went downhill from there.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 09:38:07 AM »
Hey, yeah, they do!!! Good point, dude!

Offline Hylian Dan

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 12:23:19 PM »
I have another ponder,
In this story we are iluded to the introduction of the Anati system. Nothing ever came out of it, but we know that Visser One was assigned its conquer and ultimately lost. Whatever could have happened there?!
Next thing we know she's tied to a chair, starving and in her last stages as she is tantalized at the Yeerk pool. WHATEVER could have caused them to execute this type of termination on her?!
In book 43 Taylor goes on a rant about how the Empire is falling apart, and she mentions the recent bungling of the Anati system. Two books later, Visser One is scheduled for execution.

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 01:07:15 AM »

Questions
1. What do you think about the dynamic between Visser's One and Three?
theres a whole lot of hatred there, seems they both hate each other more than the "andalite bandits" definitely interesting

2. Edriss' initial opinions of Earth are quite interesting. For instance, she surmises that the most influential place on Earth is "El lay", among other things. What do you think of her initial opinions? Are they accurate? Or the result of cultural ignorance?
both. does that make sense? we do seem to see hollywood as far more important than it actually is, and edriss was seeing what we see.

3. What do you think about Essam and Edriss' relationship? After all, Yeerks don't mate unless they are ready to die, and it is a union of three, not two. With this in mind, was their love for one another purely the result of their human hosts? Or something else?
again, both. the connection between yeerk and host is very deep. i dont think any yeerk can walk (or slither) away from that completely unaffected. in fact, i wouldnt be surprised if a large part of visser 3's arrogance was thanks to alloran.  they have access to every memory and every emotion, and even if they are mostly detached, i think it affects them on a deeper level than they recognize. yeerks have 3 genders, and yet, they seem to refer to themselves, and in fact often act like the gender of their hosts.  so the yeerks felt the emotions their hosts did, and it awakened something within themselves.

4. What are your thoughts on Edriss' children?
i dont really know what to think, but given what visser 1 was thinking/saying its obvious what she thinks.

5. This is the only time in the series where we see the Animorphs attack without knowing what planning led up to the attack firsthand. Any speculation (like why Cassie is in polar bear morph and not wolf, for instance?). Fanfic challenge: write the book that WOULD accompany this mission, if it existed.
it is curious that the animorphs chose mostly the same morphs that visser 3 faked for them.  cassie was probably just bored of always doing wolf, i dont remember where this was in the timeline, how recently had she aquired the bear?

6. What did you think about the conversation between Marco and Eva?
amazing. marco, basically a kid, manages to make visser 1 sweat about whether or not he is going to save her. he makes one of the highest members of the species invading his planet sweat, freaking awesome.

7. The Council pardon both Visser's, giving them a chance for redemption. Why do you think they did this? Do you think it was a smart move, politically speaking?
yes. despite their failings, they also succeeded quite a lot.

8. Overall opinions on the book? Favorite quotes, scenes, etc.
pretty great. my favorite quote would probably be visser 1's thoughts while in the custody of the animorphs.

Next week: #36, The Mutation

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2009, 10:54:25 AM »
They all acquired polar bear morphs in #25, The Extreme. So at this point they'd all had the morphs for about 11 books or so. What that means as far as actual time passed, I'm not sure.

Offline tobiasthehawk

• Bleh
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2009, 05:48:43 PM »
This was for sure one of my favorite books in the series.  It was full of emotional struggles and an alien look at such emotions as love and attraction really appealed to me.

I cannot believe I managed to let life get a  hold of me so much that I forgot about RAF. I am so happy to be back and among my fellow Animorph fans. It is going to bring tears to my eyes ;p.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."-Stephen Hawking

"I'm sorry, I lost my boots and the legs of my pants in a deadly fight with a giant seaslug, which I won in the nick of time with my clever thinking and my, uh... cleverness."
-- Roger, while procuring pants at the Galleria

[img]http://dragcave.net/image/WL2N.gi

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2009, 12:14:56 AM »
Marco/Madra isn't so bad, my parents have 21 year age gap. Hell Joseph (to have been a qualified carpenter) would have been atleast 24 and Mary would have been 13-15.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2009, 09:52:56 AM »
21 years is just too much. He's old enough to be her father!

And the old days don't count.

My parents have a six year gap, and that's tolerable, but much over that it pushing it. No one should ever date or marry soimeone young enough to be their child. Or old enough to be their parent.

Ani-Master 2014!