Author Topic: How and when did you hear about and start reading and/or watching Animorphs?  (Read 4176 times)

Offline LorenF15

Re: How and when did you hear about and start reading and/or watching Animorphs?
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2011, 08:07:22 PM »
It was the summer of 1996, so I was 11 and out shopping with my mom. I was wandering around Media Play (kinda like a Best Buy) when I found the book section. I've always been a voracious reader, so when I saw  these cool book covers, I begged my mom to get me all 3 that were out. The rest, as they say, is history. Animorphs remained a part of my life through middle school and high school, until it ended when I was in college. It isn't hyperbole to say these books changed my life!

Offline sublime88stang

Re: How and when did you hear about and start reading and/or watching Animorphs?
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2011, 10:32:29 PM »
I first found out about animorphs at a book faire in 3rd grade if I remember correctly. I think it was around September of 96' at one of the first book faires I ever went to.

Offline Blake (xtrunkzx)

• Holy Frell...
    • My Tumblr
Guys... I was at the Scholastic store in NYC not to long ago, and I walked up to one of the employees asking where the republished editions were. I spotted them before she could even answer and she just says "well that was easy" as i walk towards them. I reply with "No, you do not understand! The mother-effin books changed my life as a kid when they were first published!!" And we go into this whole rant like conversation about cult 90s book series before she's pulled away by other costumers... Nerd life moment success.
Formally possibly known as Ty[ler]
I am active on tumblr and always can use more people to follow that post KA stuff.

Not an active member but pops in whenever possible or whenever remembered which is almost never...

Offline Valennia

My local library had a few worn paperbacks of the series...the first one I read was book 2 because book 1 was already checked out by someone else and I just thought it looked so cool...this pretty girl turning into a cat    :kitty:
My family wasn't the type that would spend money on books so I read about 20 out-of-order books that my library had and kept wondering how it ended. Kids at school kept bragging like, ohh I finished that series it ends like bla bla bla but everyone said something different  ;D
Now I'm rereading the series as an adult thanks to a lovely website I found with completely organized pdfs. My infinite gratitude for all the effort! :-*

Offline Blake (xtrunkzx)

• Holy Frell...
    • My Tumblr
Ooo speaking of libraries... I also recently went back to the one I grew up with, and just because I could I started trolling the kid's section. You have no idea how much pride and excitement there was in my brain when I saw well used first editions AND second editions. I actually laughed when I saw this juice stain in #4 of the 2nd because I was one of those kids that sat in the corner in lunch and recess with my nose in them. Then there's the librarian who I thought retired or w/e that recognized me and went on to this other patron about Animoprhs because not only did she know I was a huge fan, but because I donated all my animorphs books in my late teens. Apparently there's such a high demand for them that they keep ordering them and still they seem to disappear like air.
You have no idea how awesome that is to me.
Formally possibly known as Ty[ler]
I am active on tumblr and always can use more people to follow that post KA stuff.

Not an active member but pops in whenever possible or whenever remembered which is almost never...

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
I first saw them turn up in those Scholastic book fair things. I started reading them after the TV show aired (it was 1998, I was 10, and it was on Nickolodean. If it came on before bed time, I watched it. XD) So... started watching in September 1998, started reading in October 1998.

redtailedsaffa

Well it was actually when I was in 6th grade, and that was around 2006. I'm from India and it wasn't released here, but my Amerixan cousin (also called Rachel) introduced me to the series and got me hooked.

Offline Blaise Zebrataur

• Ranked 56th in Most Posts
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's MVP of Roleplaying
    • Oreius Nascar Leagues
Saw them in middle school one day in the early 2000's and I thought "Hey these look cool" so I got hooked to them right off the bat.

The TV show is a different story, I never even knew there was one when I was bored reading about the books I saw there was a TV show, next week found the first VHS, got it and now have all four and seen all the episodes online but the last three in Season 2.

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
  • "I'm honestly a huge dork."
    • My Book
I first found them when I was in fourth grade. I was working in the library (I loved to do that) and came across book #4, the Message. Being the little girl that I was, I saw that a girl was turning into a dolphin and flipped. Checked out the book, looked for the rest of the series, and bada-bing, bada-boom. Here I am. Jjust finishe the series a few weeks ago. :)
My Tumblr
Saffa is my shorm and RAFtwin. :D Lumy is my awesomeful RAFbrother. ;D
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer 2013
Best RAFian Supervillan/Minion Duo 2013 (Saffa/Abby :D Morph Twins)
RAFian Artist of the Year 2016

Offline Magdaleen

• wow, i sure haven't been here in a while. hello
Spring/summer of 2010:
I was 14. My brother had just found this awesome book series that he wanted me to read. So I did. I read it in order, of course.

Needless to say, I got really hooked. Ended up getting ahead of him in the series, reading while I didn't have computer access. And the last regular book was read while I was tired and in bed, so of course I sobbed and myself to sleep when I found out what happened in the end..

Offline Alan Fangor

Well....I heard for the first time in May 1998. I was 11 and a fan of Goosebumps. The publishing house distributed a booklet that advertised this new series with aliens and boys who become animals, with the covers and titles of the first four books. My cousin was enthusiastic  and convincend me to read them, but I was skeptical. Then he stopped with book #6. I had read until book 5, but I forgot quickly about it, I continued to prefer Goosebumps. A few months later, by pure chance I found those five books in my bookshelf, I reread and it was the beginning of a passion, which, almost 15 years later, is not yet finished  ;D

Offline Chad32

• God
Why are these old threads getting necromancied. Anyone got a turn undead spell?

By the way, I got into the books at about book 15. They were in a bookstore I hadn't been in before. I saw book 8's cover and thought this guy was turning into an alien/monster. I started watching the show as soon as it came out. I was unimpressed with the show.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
  • "I'm honestly a huge dork."
    • My Book
I was unimpressed with the show.
I agree, I agree. The show was pretty crappy. :(:(
My Tumblr
Saffa is my shorm and RAFtwin. :D Lumy is my awesomeful RAFbrother. ;D
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer 2013
Best RAFian Supervillan/Minion Duo 2013 (Saffa/Abby :D Morph Twins)
RAFian Artist of the Year 2016

Offline Bealocwealm

My sister was into it, we had a small library with a lot of the books a few blocks from our house, so on weekends and sometimes after school we'd go down there and read 'em. I was like 6 or 7 at the time, so this was around '97 to 2000 I was reading them. I never got further than the David arc at the time (it just got WAY too dark for me), save a few random books I read out of order (#28, I remember). I never watched the TV show (as bad as everyone knew it was at the time, I probably would have, if I actually had cable.) Picked them up again a couple years ago when I realized the series is where I got my phobia of sharks. XD

Offline ryuki

I was 7 at the time, so that meant the book had been out for close to a year. I was in the school library looking for something to read for a book report when one of the older kids threw the first book down on the nearby table and walked away. I grabbed it thinking the cover looked interesting, read the first couple pages and never looked back.