Author Topic: Group Re-Read: #34 The Prophecy  (Read 3618 times)

Offline Adrian Malacoda

• Break me off a piece of that
  • Gold Donor
Re: Group Re-Read: #34 The Prophecy
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2009, 05:48:08 PM »
Taylor was in book 49? Wait, wasnt that the diversion?
#43, The Test.

Anyway, the premise of the book was interesting enough. I did, however, think Aldrea was a bit out of character here. She comes off as a typical holier-than-thou Andalite (what with all the comments about how inferior humans are and whatnot) when the whole premise of HBC was that she was going against that kind of attitude. That she tried to keep Cassie's body at the end sort of falls into that vein. She must have agreed with Dak's comment in HBC about the Hork-Bajir being used by the Arn, Yeerks, Andalites, etc., or else she wouldn't have given up her Andalite body to live amongst Hork-Bajir; but she's content to treat Cassie like a tool.

Also, minor quibble here - but how exactly does Aldrea know about Taxxons? If I remember correctly HBC was set in the very beginning of the war, and no Taxxons were mentioned in HBC, so I'd assume that the Yeerks didn't get Taxxons until after the battle of Planet Hork-Bajir.
Free Software Foundation associate member #8136

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2009, 05:52:26 PM »
The Taxxon Homeworld was taken efterwards, but not too long afterwards. It was taken before TAC started, and Elfangor said it was five years into the war when he was an Arish. Meaning that if she had lived five or so years after becoming a nothlit, Aldrea may have still seen or heard of Taxxons.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2009, 11:22:03 PM »
That she tried to keep Cassie's body at the end sort of falls into that vein.
I thought cassie lied about that as part of the plan to have toby return to earth...

Offline rocklobster

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 07:32:05 AM »
She did lie. 

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2009, 01:52:29 PM »
Yeah, because Toby wasn't going to willingly go back to Earth. She thought that she should stay and help her people reclaim their world, but Aldrea didn't want another Dak situation, so they worked it out so he returned as a 'hostage'.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Adrian Malacoda

• Break me off a piece of that
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 02:00:27 PM »
Wow. Must have completely not noticed. I feel stupid now :P

I need to read these more thoroughly next time.
Free Software Foundation associate member #8136

Offline filmstu2005

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 04:52:33 PM »
Actually, Aldrea WAS a holier than thou Andalite in HBC. She manipulated Dak, knew she was smarter than him, n figured she could use his growing intelligence to her advantage. There were times when she was just ur basic connivingly clever Andalite.

Initially she thought she was better than him. Maybe in the end I'm sure she changed, but it probably wasnt before her Ixillia (? was that it) was taken from her memory.

Offline dolphin4077

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2009, 11:47:33 AM »
Yeah, Aldrea was a typical Andalite in HBC, but I liked her more in HBC than in this book.  Why are characters from Chronicles that show up in main series never as cool as they were in the chronicles?  The only exception I can think of is Elfangor.

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 02:12:59 AM »
Cassie surprised me in this book, too. I always wondered WHY Aldrea chose Cassie and not a fellow Hork-Bajir youth or Rachel (surely she sensed the aspirational future Hork-Bajir leader or the fearsome brave capacity in Rachel).
...Aldrea chose Cassie because she noticed how strong Cassie was, not strong like Rachel and Toby, but mentally strong willed, sympathetic with a great deal of empathy. Right before the ceremony started she started to feel admiration for Aldrea, and i think thats what drew Aldrea to her, someone who understood her actions...
What filmstu2005 wrote answers the question for me. It finally makes sense.

I reckon the Anis had been offworld THAT many times, they felt another one would be simply put 'another one' in their list. Showing some sort of stress or awe in this aspect would only be repetitive.
On the topic of repetition, Cassie's stunt was a bit of a let down. Almost as if the writer got slack and ripped off the 'anvil'-idea from MM1.
Though I liked what Cassie had to do in order to succeed (6xmorphs consecutively, focus while fighting off Aldrea, concentrate on keeping her wings, NOT GET SHOT AT)... her stunt in the end, saved the day, yes!

I think, however, the book had a more memorable scenes towards the start. Where upon arriving just before the HB-Homeworld, they tangle with an Andalite fighter and 2 Yeerk-sentinels. There's some gold moments here, between Jake, Ax, Aldrea.