Author Topic: Animorph Game?  (Read 6905 times)

Offline Gafrash

Re: Animorph Game?
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2009, 08:41:27 PM »
Senter.pat, reckon you're certainly thinking ahead with an Animorphs game. There's a feel that it's only a matter of time until someone picks up on this-what-we-know-to-be-a-good-series and revamps it into a movie trilogy or something, and WE KNOW what franchise follows after that. Look at all the superhero movies being made and their games.
You've got the creativity and I sincerely hope you do well in the games field, dude!!

How do you mean?! The idea of the-more-morphing-the-more-experience-the-better-you-get is a good one. But what kind of a programmer is going to do 100 different sets of graphics for 100 different types of morphs?! If there is any need, do you think there is game console that can hold that much information?!
Hmm I thought you had said something about limiting the player from acquiring any animal they wanted to. o ya:
Eg: player is flying as a bird of prey, spots an ant, a roach or some other bug. Flies down, demorphs, selects which to acquire and does it. If only the one small morph would be necessary for gameplay, that's where that level should finish. With whatever small morph the player picked.
Eventually, when they finish the game, and they want to satisfy curiosity, they can re-play selecting a different small animal morph.
Ya that, i was saying they should be able to do both if they want, suppose that they acquire one and dont like the senses?...
I agree with what AniDragon stated about the similarities in senses and abilities. But we all know that there is technology now days push the boundaries, to do what we are asking here in this thread.
I just wish there was a good story to it. My bone-to-pick-at-most-action-movies is that they sacrifice this important element, that of the story itself, in order to have some kickarse special effect or guimmick.

What Starsord just stated above is what I was trying to say in terms of the game consisting of a wide variety of morphs in which the player can freely acquire, but have the abilities and perception graphics virtually the same.
So the designer wouldn't have to create hundreds of different visuals for each of the hundred morphs the game would have.
Some people may like to have a 'catalogue-of-morphs' thing to it, and though walking around with a somewhat-freedom to acquire whatever animal morph you want is appealing to me as a player too, my only fear with that is that it's sounding waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too close to Pokemon to be Animorphs-good.
Though a limit to the number of morphs wasn't explored in the series, The Animorphs WAS NEVER about acquiring as much morphs as possible.

...I had said this a few pages back, but how about if you have to do certain sidequests at the gardens, like break in and have marco or ax hack the computer, then do whats needed to have the animal you want brought to the gardens, or help cassie find a hurt animal for her barn. I think it should be done for every new morph that the character wants. Like the gardens has its starting morphs, then you get more, but cassies barn the animals are in and out weekly.

Any missions come to mind, I'll post them here. It may be through these missions that the plot itself will spring up.
A mission where you turn into some wild animal at the Gardens and 'loose control' and by the time you 'regain control' you have to escape Cassie's mum and her tranquilizer darts, could be a good and entertaining one! ;D

Offline senter.pat

« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2009, 04:08:46 PM »
Movie trilogy? I would take each book, expand on it and make like 72 movies. BANK!!!! Lol..

Offline senter.pat

« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2009, 04:16:53 PM »
Thanks Gafrash, if i do get to making the game before anyone else gets to it, this is definitly the planning stages lol.

I dont think it would be like pokemon, I mean in pokemon there were all the rumors that you got all them you would find super rare pokemon or whatever, which drove people to find them. There wouldnt be anything like that, maybe an achievement, but nothing really good. Only really hard core gamer will bother going through the trouble of actually getting all of the available morphs in one playthrough. Or people would want to get them all at once so that they could compare and decide which they wanted on their later playthroughs. If it was absolutly necessary to limit the morphs, you could always just make it limited via the gardens, like they only have room for one big cat exhibit, one bear exhibit, either a dolphin tank or a whale show, which the player would decide via side-missions. whatcha think?

While the animorphs was never about acquiring more morphs, i always wondered why they didnt switch it up a bit.

Offline senter.pat

« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2009, 07:12:50 PM »
I was also thinking, what if the expansion or downloadable content had missions entailing the all of the chronicles. well, not the visser or ellimist chronicles, but putting the chronicles in would add more depth to the game and history of its world.

Offline Hunter

• The RAFdoctor
  • God
  • The resident Furry!
    • My FA
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2009, 09:40:59 PM »
good ideas, but next time, could you just edit ur posts, instead of triple posting?

GESB Character: Subject #2218
Intro Rando Character: Hunter

'There are days I hate being me, but then again, I'm not you.'

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2009, 10:10:22 PM »
I was also thinking, what if the expansion or downloadable content had missions entailing the all of the chronicles. well, not the visser or ellimist chronicles, but putting the chronicles in would add more depth to the game and history of its world.

that could be cool, would def take alot of work. I was thinking we could include the out of town missions the animorphs go on. Like the arctic in #25 and aussieland in #44, which would probably have to be left out of the main game to keep things simple and to have the money to make the town as detailed as possible

Offline senter.pat

« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2009, 10:20:36 PM »
good ideas, but next time, could you just edit ur posts, instead of triple posting?

Sorry Hunter, I didn't realize that I could.

Actually Macduff, the books arent exactly going to be in the game(if i end up doing it) It would have to be a completely new storyline, of course some things would be the same, but for the most part I would go for originality. The chronicles explain things that happened before the character got morphing powers, more for the use of people who arent familiar to the storyline, giving background to the andalites and hork bajir.

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2009, 11:18:47 PM »
yea but the chronicles would have to be completely different games. The main characters are different species and the combat and gameplay would be alot different. The focus wasnt really about morphing so there would have to be a weapon system in the game, and completely different levels and format.

I'm not saying it shouldnt be made, but it would have to be a completely seperate game that would cost just as much as the actual game. And it would be an amazing game lol

I think people would like if they recognize a few of the missions as the good ol book missions as long as they are framed with great new mission ideas and a strong main story.

Kinda like the tv show, how the disc thing was such a big part of the show and then there storys to move that forward but then there were stories that supported that. Terrible example cause that story was just awful lol but yea

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2009, 12:05:12 AM »
Maybe instead of making the chronicles part of the game, have some videos of scenes from the Chronicles that you can unlock.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline senter.pat

« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2009, 12:18:19 AM »
Your probably right about that Macduff. Doing it in videos wouldnt really do it as much justice as a whole game could, a prequel would definitly be in order should an animorphs game do well. It would be awesome to jump around in the hork-bajir homeworld and fight with a mini army. lol now that thats been brought up im thinkin about it too. but  first things first. :D

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2009, 12:19:18 AM »
i'd like a lot more morphs and a more intriguing battle system.
something to set it apart.
energy bars are overrated. ::)

definitely better voice acting as well.

Offline senter.pat

« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2009, 02:47:18 AM »
definitly no energy bars, most likely having a system where your limbs get damaged, from just weakening your strikes to making the limb unusable. there probably wouldnt be a health bar, just getting to the point where your so damaged you cant fight and are forced to demorph and morph again. also, there would have to be a fatique system in human form, since in the books morphing repeatedly made them tired, morphing again and again would make you tired, also sleeping daily in the game might be necessary. to restore your fatigue after days with missions.

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2009, 11:12:09 AM »
I would scratch the Chronicles and focus on a main game, with human main characters. If it has to be an alien main character, I would make it an Andalite, but then I wouldn't make the Andalite's gameplay limitted to Earth, so making it an Andalite would go on a tangent...

I think it's kewl to base gameplay on the missions, with the aim to use the morphs to protect your identity and stop the Yeerks. But I don't think it should be a predictable script once you have the mission on.

i'd like a lot more morphs and a more intriguing battle system...
See, this is a valid point. I will bet my money, the demographic (either the readers from the 90s or the new readers) will want to buy this game for this reason, too. The 'morphing guimmick' will be the main attraction.
It's up to the designer to come up with a creative new way to do the graphics and button systems.

Before you know it, people online would do wolf pack gangs and seagull-dropping-deliveries...
It leads me to think, that much like how in GTA they have the cops show up as a consequence to the player's deliquencies, this game would need something to make it challenging for players to do that. A group of unwitting players that decide to do a random waltz through town as a lion pride, for eg:., could inevitably attract the attention of Dracon-beam wielding Controllers or Bugfighters. This could be kinda kewl!

that could be cool, would def take alot of work. I was thinking we could include the out of town missions the animorphs go on. Like the arctic in #25 and aussieland in #44, which would probably have to be left out of the main game to keep things simple and to have the money to make the town as detailed as possible
I concur! I would aim to make game set around the Animorphs' town. Including the coast, downtown and the forestry. Literally mimicking a GTA-type environment, where the player would find virtually nothing should he or she 'fly' outside the boundaries.

Post Merged: November 12, 2010, 06:43:20 AM
Man, Black Ops has just been released in Australia. The graphics, environments, characters---THE DETAILS--- are SENSATIONAL! The gameplay? INSANE!!
And it's re-awoken my fantasies of an Animorphs Game. They certainly have the tech and means to do it. I can't help thinking how game designers COULD REALLY push the Animorphs' story/style with an engine like this.
I kept looking for inspiration walking around. On the sidewalk, I saw some magpie being chased by miners. A dogwalker pulling his dog from wanting to sniff another canine. A black cat unwittingly crossing the road in the dark. At the trainstation, I saw a little sparrow dodging an arriving train at the very last minute.
All these things, would prove great realistic obstacles in an Animorphs game.

If I was to do an Anis game pitch, there would be no 'health candy' items per si. If anything, the 'candies' could be them items that build up experience batches, but that's on the part of the character, more.
The human morphs would be weakest in terms of raw power. Each morph would have individual levels of raw power, speed, resistance and resilience, stamina/endurance in their health status (I would even include a cry option). These would subside and decrease the more you take hit/physical damage during actions.
The morphing/demorphing would re-set everything.

There would be a 2hr clock exponential to real-time. Needless to say that if they get stuck, it's game over.
The player should have free reign of what morph to take, and a wide variety of places for he/she pick their places to morph. The idea is to stimulate creativity.

Upon blowing their cover, the enemies would raise an exclamation mark, kinda like the ones in Metal Gear Solo to indicate the player that they've been spotted. The colour in the screen would change, and, since being seen in human
 they would not be able to demorph, fearing being seen, until they've reached saefety and the danger passes and the colour goes back to normal (in this case, it would be kind of like Assassins Creed). You could also play as Ax, so the player gets a sense of not having this disadvantage.

Example: I was crossing the road the other day, picturing what it would be like to be really little and having to cross the busy strip.
The mission would be as simple as crossing a busy strip, whilst being undetected. That means going small.
The smaller you go, the more 'invincible' you are. But the less senses of your surroundings, you get.
Turning into a ****roach, for example. The pressures of cars
But the biggest problem would be direction. Player may be forced to demorph and get runned over or spotted or so on. Crossing the road, gets them to the next level.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 06:43:20 AM by Gafrash »

Offline Cloudbreaker

• My activity may be at/near 0% but I'm still here.
    • Animorphs: The Revival
« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2010, 02:20:56 PM »
Whenever I think about all the potential an Animorphs video game has, I get really excited too.  My brain practically explodes when I think of all the neat features that could be included.  I think that even people who aren't familiar with the Animorphs series could get a lot of enjoyment out of it.  In fact, it would probably sell even more copies if most people don't know it is based on a book series.  I don't know about other people, but I am usually wary about purchasing a game based on a movie or tv show or a book, no matter how much I liked the original media.

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #104 on: November 21, 2010, 11:38:02 AM »
I never buy a game made from a movie/TVshow, even if it's one of my favorites.
The only exception is Kingdom Hearts, because these games are cool.
But usually, video games made from other medias just s*ck.
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum