Author Topic: Animorph Game?  (Read 6897 times)

Offline senter.pat

Re: Animorph Game?
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2009, 08:26:18 PM »
I dunno, I'd be pretty pissed if I came across a rare morph only to see "You can't acquire that, yet!". I mean, that's like coming across a rare Pokemon, and noticing that you have no Pokeballs left. MAJOR annoyance.

The characters never had any limits on what they could morph. If they can manage to get close to it, then they can acquire it. Simple as that. The way you stop people from going on acquiring sprees is to make the animals harder to approach.

And, as has been suggested, have the morphs level instead of the characters. That way, it'll still encourage people to use their "main" morphs, and the rest of them will just be for fun.

Thats why i said, in order to limit the morphs, use leveling as you said, and then id use the gardens and cassies barn for morphs, maybe you can help cassie find wounded animals as a minigame to get new local morphs, and something else to get more at the gardens. maybe more as you level or progress through the story line.

I was thinking about the leveling and it seems that the main char should have some stats that control skills, such as aquatic morphs or aerial, or if you could use weapons leveling those skills to upgrade damage and accuracy. and then your individual morphs could level things like agility or strength or speed.

Offline Hylian Dan

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2009, 09:03:14 PM »
I'm planning on going into the game industry, so if there's no big Animorphs game in the near future, I definitely would work towards making one a reality sometime in the long-term future.

Someone commented about the series' fan base being too limited at this point for it to be feasible. That's not really the case. The original fan base is no longer entirely relevant. A big-budget Animorphs game would absolutely be designed to draw in a new audience unfamiliar with the books, not just the kids from the 90s. So the target audience could fairly easily be nudged up a bit from the middle school level, as long as it stays within certain parameters. Sequels are huge in the game industry, so the pitch for the initial game should absolutely make a point of showing that the series has huge potential for sequels and side games (Chronicles) if it's successful.

I'm not into MMORPGS, so I'd prefer making a single-player, maybe cooperative multiplayer action-adventure game. The story and its themes are very important to me. The books don't need to be directly translated of course, but I would be committed to preserving the fundamentals and key points of the story.

Morality issues seem like they could be interesting to work with. First of all, straight up good vs. evil choices would be totally out-of-place here. They're overused in gaming, they're boring as hell, people don't approach them as they would real life decisions, they're unrealistic, and on top of all that they betray a major thesis of the Animorphs story, which is that "You don't get a lot of straight-up good vs. evil choices. You get shades of gray." (Book 53)

The big moral question of the Animorphs story is "How far into savagery do you descend to defeat the savages?" (Book 17) The gameplay mechanics should be designed with that question in mind. How do we let the player explore and feel the ramifications of that question? Not, "Hey player, do you want to make the good choice or the evil choice?"
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 09:06:56 PM by Hylian Dan »

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2009, 04:50:16 AM »
in regards to the morphing, how about powerful morphs like gorillas become less rare as you level up? like in level 1 you usually just come across bugs and pets and stuff, then as you get higher, the chances of finding strong battle morphs is higher...

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2009, 12:05:07 PM »
Something like that could work. Like, using Cassie's barn as a sort of "random morph generator" kinda thing. The more you level up, the higher the chances of there being something useful there. (Though the more powerful stuff would obviously be at the Gardens)
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline senter.pat

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2009, 12:16:18 PM »
in regards to the morphing, how about powerful morphs like gorillas become less rare as you level up? like in level 1 you usually just come across bugs and pets and stuff, then as you get higher, the chances of finding strong battle morphs is higher...

only thing about that, the game isnt going to be like oblivion or anything, only things you would come across during regular gameplay would be controllers or other aliens. you would prolly never come across a useful battle morph in the wild. the gardens would prolly be the only place that people could use for acquiring powerful morphs, then their town also has an aquarium, and cassies barn, between those three locations,  you should be able to acquire any morph you need.

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2009, 12:18:27 PM »

seems to me that a tranqualizer gun would be useful, possibly kept in a pack and hidden before you morph. maybe you could have a teammate scavenge for weapons after battles, could even develop new weapons for beetter game play

its a good idea to have to be a certain level for morphs, but another way to control the available morphs is the gardens since that would proably be the main place you would be getting morphs

I dont know if guns would really fit in the game. The animorphs only used them like once or twice and you'd have to develop a whole weapons system that would just take away from the morph battle system

I dunno, I'd be pretty pissed if I came across a rare morph only to see "You can't acquire that, yet!". I mean, that's like coming across a rare Pokemon, and noticing that you have no Pokeballs left. MAJOR annoyance.

Well in pokemon you can attack a pokemon but cant capture it unless you beat it. Maybe you can TRY to acquire any animal, but until you reach a certain skill level you will lose. or maybe like morf said at the beginning the best morphs will be alot rarer so you might not come across em.

Or maybe there can be some kind of Gardens mini game so you will need to do special tasks to get access to the bigger exibits you know, like you need to get a certain bug morph to slip past a lock and that will give you access to half a dozen battle morphs, and then a certain bird morph will let you fly over the fence and unlock another half dozen morphs, something like that

I just think that if every morph is available from level one then theres nothing for the player to build on, half the fun of a game is unlocking new stuff and progressing your character. Thats why all games upgrade abilities over time, or unlock certain guns every level, its better that way. buut maybe thats just me lol

Offline senter.pat

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2009, 05:54:02 PM »

Well in pokemon you can attack a pokemon but cant capture it unless you beat it. Maybe you can TRY to acquire any animal, but until you reach a certain skill level you will lose. or maybe like morf said at the beginning the best morphs will be alot rarer so you might not come across em.

Or maybe there can be some kind of Gardens mini game so you will need to do special tasks to get access to the bigger exibits you know, like you need to get a certain bug morph to slip past a lock and that will give you access to half a dozen battle morphs, and then a certain bird morph will let you fly over the fence and unlock another half dozen morphs, something like that

I just think that if every morph is available from level one then theres nothing for the player to build on, half the fun of a game is unlocking new stuff and progressing your character. Thats why all games upgrade abilities over time, or unlock certain guns every level, its better that way. buut maybe thats just me lol

i agree completly, i love going through games when i play and getting everything i can levelling up as much as possible. if everything was available from level one, then that would take half the fun from the game. i dont know about fighting the animals to acquire them, thats not very animorph-y, though neither is a tranq gun. but i was thinking about the yeerk pool, think that itd be available to attack at any time, or just for story points?

Offline Xan

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • It's a Trap!
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2009, 12:50:07 AM »
It should be available for attack anytime, except in most (non-story) battles, there are so many hi-level controllers you get your ass handed to you unless you have mad skills.

Offline senter.pat

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2009, 01:56:56 AM »
you think the gleet bio filters should be taken out? kinda makes getting in impossible... visser 3 would have to be in the pool most of the time, as he would probably be the main opponent in the game. though there would have to be a couple of different controllers, game-specific in order to make battle more interesting.

Offline Shock

• Xtreme Member
  • Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2009, 01:47:16 PM »
you think the gleet bio filters should be taken out? kinda makes getting in impossible... visser 3 would have to be in the pool most of the time, as he would probably be the main opponent in the game. though there would have to be a couple of different controllers, game-specific in order to make battle more interesting.

great... now i have the idea in my head that you can turn the yeerk pool into a Wowish Raid type thing..
Cannibals are seriously messed up
[17:05:27] Reiyn: Shock's tact and diplomacy is unparalleled.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information. For in his heart, he dreams himself your master
Quote from: K.A. Applegate
So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack.

Offline senter.pat

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2009, 02:03:02 PM »
oh i dont know what that means :P i never played wow

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2009, 02:01:04 AM »
Heh. Thinking about it, it DOES seem very WoW-raid like, doesn't it? Well, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

As for stuff like Gleet Bio-filters, maybe add them as the game goes on? So like... Obviously the first few times you go into the Yeerk pool, the filters won't be there, but then as you level up (and after doing a few Yeerk pool missions), the filters are added, and then eventually the hunter robots, etc, etc. That way the "raids" on the Yeerk pool get progressively more difficult.

And I'd agree on making up some high-ranking controller to be at the Yeerk pool instead of Visser Three all the time. I mean, really, the fact that EVERY time the Animorphs visited the Yeerk pool, Visser Three happened to be there? When he supposedly spends most of his time on the Blade Ship? So not likely.

So, yeah. Have some made-up, but still difficult controller for most of the Yeerk pool "raids", and then stick Visser Three in there near the end of the game.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline senter.pat

« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2009, 12:04:09 PM »
Ah i wish i knew what a WOW raid was like so that i could disagree or agree... but ya thats a good idea to make the pool progressivly more difficult. if the game was a success, they could even do a sequel at the point where the books left off, maybe even add in space combat. :D sounds fun. But about the "raids" ya, they could even make up some aliens that werent in the book. May casapin controllers. garatran would be fun.

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2009, 03:15:12 AM »
Anyone else wish that a new game would be made using animorphs? I played the old ones for game boy and psx, but I would really like a game where you could actually get all the morphs you want. Its one thing to read it, and i always thought that the show was cheesey, not to mention that so much more could have been done with it, and the effects were cheap. But I would like to play the game where you could go and pick your morphs and they all have different abilities... Like a open RPG game. Any thoughts on this?
Yeah, senter.pat, the way games are being done now days (I too am thinking GTA-style and those first person shooters), the amount of detail and game play is astonishing in comparison to the old Animorphs game, which left so much to ask for.
If only the series would pick up again, or if a movie indeed is made, then we Anifans can be CERTAIN a new game will come up.

I'm planning on going into the game industry, so if there's no big Animorphs game in the near future, I definitely would work towards making one a reality sometime in the long-term future.

Someone commented about the series' fan base being too limited at this point for it to be feasible. That's not really the case. The original fan base is no longer entirely relevant. A big-budget Animorphs game would absolutely be designed to draw in a new audience unfamiliar with the books, not just the kids from the 90s. So the target audience could fairly easily be nudged up a bit from the middle school level, as long as it stays within certain parameters. Sequels are huge in the game industry, so the pitch for the initial game should absolutely make a point of showing that the series has huge potential for sequels and side games (Chronicles) if it's successful.

I'm not into MMORPGS, so I'd prefer making a single-player, maybe cooperative multiplayer action-adventure game. The story and its themes are very important to me. The books don't need to be directly translated of course, but I would be committed to preserving the fundamentals and key points of the story.

Morality issues seem like they could be interesting to work with. First of all, straight up good vs. evil choices would be totally out-of-place here. They're overused in gaming, they're boring as hell, people don't approach them as they would real life decisions, they're unrealistic, and on top of all that they betray a major thesis of the Animorphs story, which is that "You don't get a lot of straight-up good vs. evil choices. You get shades of gray." (Book 53)

The big moral question of the Animorphs story is "How far into savagery do you descend to defeat the savages?" (Book 17) The gameplay mechanics should be designed with that question in mind. How do we let the player explore and feel the ramifications of that question? Not, "Hey player, do you want to make the good choice or the evil choice?"
"How far into savagery do you descend to defeat the savages?"
This is a great game concept, Hylian Dan.
With your talent and already made stuff, you oughta thing about keeping an eye out for this thing, because we all know this is potentially good material to have a good new game in the making. You would do real well, man!

Personally, I would love an Animorphs game that was more directed at an older audience, emphasizing the 'conspiracy' concept of the series. Or something new that wasn't done in the book series, but still following the storyline. Like a new plot that could have been inserted somewhere in the series, but not a repeat, you know.
Scratching completely the platform game type. Making it an RPG-like single-player thing where you get the false-impression of making free choices throughout the story. Think MaxPayne or the Assassins Creed and so on.
One could make their own character and selectively pick animals and through morphing changing the style of the perspectives. Though I do think there should be some sort of a limit thing, or it will undesirably end up like some Pokemon gotta catch them all thing.
So one would pick ONE wild animal as their battle morph, like the Anis had mostly throughout the series. The other animals like the birds, the insects and other smaller ones would be freely acquired.
A bunch of player COULD MAKE A TEAM on an online or a LAN game thing.

Then of course comes the different environments. Any of you played that Deadly Creatures game?! It has some brilliant scenes, of the miniature scapes where the animals fight in. Sensational!

...it would be cool if you gain points for accomplishments and stuff, and then those points can be used to buy new morphs, like you go to the zoo and theres a menu of different morphs for different prices

So certain missions involve getting staple morphs like bird of prey, dolphin, bug etc. So the gameplay will give you the morphs you absolutely need, but then if you want better morphs they'll cost you. Like you go through a mission to get a red-tailed hawk as your basic bird morph, and then you can buy a peregrin falcon for speed or an eagle for power and you get a dolphin but then you can buy a shark. And maybe for battle morphs you start with a wolf and buy more powerful or different morphs.

It would also be cool if you could level up your morphs, so if you use the same battle morph throughout it will get progressively stronger and you'll learn new moves and stuff...
The health thing would have to be regained via morphing or demorphing, in order to be realistic with the series. Like, NOT HAVE any chocolate health bars or whatever for raising health.
Earning points in mission and all is a great idea for augmenting the resistance and strength levels in the morphs, though I am not sure about the 'cost' thing. But the 'missions to get greater morphs' is sound.

...yea this game could be absurdly cool lol
Yeah, dude! But just the stupendous amount of programming and work behind such a thing is seriously challenging!!!

what kind of like mini quests or stuff do you think it could have? like gta has gang wars and stuff like that thats extra gameplay outside the main story. Maybe you could have like busting up sharing meetings, free hork bajir and bringing them to the valley, and maybe you'll just come across a random stereotypical yeerk plot to stop right then and there, like logging in the forest or something. Cause the key to a good sandbox is replayability and being able to just run around the world doing stuff without having to play the story
These are great ideas.
I think being 'Sharing'-related and starting off 'quietly' and 'avoiding detection' type missions that inevitably turn into battle situations sound excellent. Maybe even have them doing missions with The Chee.
There needs to be one with a smart new way of infiltrating the Yeerk pool. A battle in the Yeerk Pool DEFINITELY needs to be featured.
And let's not forget Visser Three's monstrous morphs. He would def have to be the big boss at the end of world stages.

The characters never had any limits on what they could morph. If they can manage to get close to it, then they can acquire it. Simple as that. The way you stop people from going on acquiring sprees is to make the animals harder to approach.

And, as has been suggested, have the morphs level instead of the characters. That way, it'll still encourage people to use their "main" morphs, and the rest of them will just be for fun.

Thats why i said, in order to limit the morphs, use leveling as you said, and then id use the gardens and cassies barn for morphs, maybe you can help cassie find wounded animals as a minigame to get new local morphs, and something else to get more at the gardens. maybe more as you level or progress through the story line.

I was thinking about the leveling and it seems that the main char should have some stats that control skills, such as aquatic morphs or aerial, or if you could use weapons leveling those skills to upgrade damage and accuracy. and then your individual morphs could level things like agility or strength or speed.
I would use Cassie as the animal expert that she was and have each level start at the barn or the Gardens or something, with her dictating the morphs your player should acquire. Any new morphs to pick up during the mission, should just be deliberatly directed during the gameplay. Like, the player shouldn't have the freedom to see an ant in the eagle laser-vision and go 'Oh! I feel like acquiring that!'... It would just be too complicated to have that.

I would scratch the weapons idea. Though the alien tech is a big gimmick in the series, guns and that were never really a part of the Animorphs philosophy. It was in VERY FEW occasions the Anis made use of the Dracon beams and such. The thing that made the Anis so great is their melee stuff. The bad guys always had the long-range destructive weapons. Up close and personal in their battle morphs, the Anis had their fair match.

Offline senter.pat

« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2009, 04:04:59 AM »
Wow dude that was alot to read lol. But that game looks awesome might have to get it now :D

I dont know about limiting the morphs now that i think about it. I mean only hard core gamers will really go through the trouble (i would) of getting them all. Especially if there was some sort of levelling system for your morphs. It would even probably be some xbox/ps3 achievment or something.