Author Topic: Group Re-Read: #22 The Solution  (Read 5263 times)

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
Re: Group Re-Read: #22 The Solution
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 05:09:42 AM »
I'm willing to bet anybody could handle the situation better than David did
I'm willing to bet I wouldn't. I'd quit just after the first major battle...

1) The subtle approach doesn't work with the summit meeting, so the Ani's go with direct. Think this is a good strategy?
I'm not sure I would call it great strategy, but it was a good scene...

2) David attempts to regain a "real" life by taking over Saddler, Jake and Rachels dying cousin. The theory is that David gets his life back and Saddler's parents get their kid back. What do you think about this solution?
well if you look at it a certain way, it's justifiable. of course, everything is justifiable if you look at it a certain way...

5) The final solution: David's nothlitism. Was it the right decision?
No, in almost any way possible... it's bad security-wise, strategy-wise, moral-wise... the only way it's a yes is if you don't want to kill a human...

P.S. I believe we are going by publication order, so wouldn't next week be Hork-Bajir chronicles?

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 05:28:31 PM »

P.S. I believe we are going by publication order, so wouldn't next week be Hork-Bajir chronicles?

That's what I thought originally, but when I checked on the Anibase they had HBC being published after #23.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Hylian Dan

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 06:41:35 PM »
That's what I thought originally, but when I checked on the Anibase they had HBC being published after #23.

Did they come out the same month? I remember #23 references HBC.

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 10:30:37 PM »
well I don't have the books so I can't check the publication dates, but yeah, I'm pretty sure they were published the same month, and yes #23 does reference HBC...

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 03:30:54 AM »
Yeah, HBC would come first, since in book 23 Tobias already knows about Toby, and he met her for the first time in HBC.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »
Ok, I'll change it then. Next week is HBC. :) Well, this week technically, but I'll be posting it Monday or Tuesday, so....

Offline Mapleman555

Group Re-Read of Book #22 The Solution
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 09:43:55 PM »
that was perhaps one of the most shattering animorphs book I have read, since book 54, 19, and 52 it truly showed how far the animorphs will go to keep their secret

Offline Mr. Guy36

• Xtreme Member
  • im still in ur ear, still controllin ur body
Re: Group Re-Read of Book #22 The Solution
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 06:41:49 AM »

I refuse to remove this sig because of some petty argument. RAF must remain solid.
By popular demand, now with Gaz!

Above silence, the illuminating storms - Dying storms - Illuminate the silence above

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 05:26:14 AM »
Holy! Thanks to Mr.Guy 36, I just realized I haven't posted on this re-read. And what a shame, The David Trilogy was an EPIC READ!!!

1) The subtle approach doesn't work with the summit meeting, so the Ani's go with direct. Think this is a good strategy?
Well, they had tried the sneaky and subtle. The Yeerks were already onto them, PLUS they were fatigued and worn out from having to handle David.

2) David attempts to regain a "real" life by taking over Saddler, Jake and Rachels dying cousin. The theory is that David gets his life back and Saddler's parents get their kid back. What do you think about this solution?
This was a bizarre move on his part, in my opinion. Here we have the first human character that is perfectly fine with, not only, masquarading as other humans (he does it to Marco, too!), but thinks it's ok to morph acquire a dying person and dump their corpse somewhere. Saddler practically looked and acted like David, from the impression that I got. But David had clashed with Jake prior to this book, why would he want 'to be' in the same family branch?! Supposedly, he wouldn't really be 'gone' from Jake's life.
I won't say it was evil, because I actually don't take David as evil. He is just a selfish spoilt rich kid, who doesn't measure the means of achievement, a kid who wasn't really cut for the demands of fighting for Earth. For him to think that he could become rich with the morphing power was just ludicrous, given the circumstances of an alien invasion and war he gravitated to. David had shown signs he could have been an awesome fighter against the Yeerks, much like the others, but he was to self-centered to be fighting for the good of the Earth and human race. This really came off in The Return, to me, also.

3) Why do you think David pursued the Animorphs, instead of disappearing and going about his own business getting rich?
He wanted the Blue Cube, didn't he?!

4) Why do you think things got so personal between Rachel and David?
Though I never really saw them as alike, I think, the two characters themselves, David and Rachel, felt they were becoming more and more alike in that brief time they met. But I think, deep down, after the fork incident, Rachel was trying to differenciate herself from him.

5) The final solution: David's nothlitism. Was it the right decision?
Holy! That's a tough question.
We gotta take into consideration the time that the decision was made. There was NO outlook on the Animorphs winning the war, and their secret identity was one of the few major advantages that the Anis had over the enemy. Not to mention that the Yeerks COULD NOT get a hold of another morph-capable host, such as the one they would find in David, had he walked away.
As it was, David had proven himself NOT TRUSTWORTHY in more ways than one. Turning him nothlit was virtually THE ONLY peaceful solution. One which I found gratifyingly fit, horrible of me, I know, to a person of David's calibre. In some ways, the kid had caused more damage to the Anis than the Yeerks.
Did anyone else get really surprised with that ending the first time they read it?! When I read the title of this book, all the things kept pointing to a 'David MUST DIE' finale. But the nothlit-spin was a good one!!
I really see no other alternative...

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 05:31:35 AM »
I think a quick nearly painless death would have been a better way. But I probably already mentioned that.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline roguebluejay

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2010, 11:38:45 PM »
When I was a kid and I first read it I remember thinking that it was the right decision. But reading Davids description in the later book about what it was like to be trapped as a rat specifically makes me doubt myself.

I kind of wish that he could have been trapped as a dolphin, or a whale or whatever... But of course he never would have gone along with that.

There was never a good solution in regards to david. I think that kiling him, sick as it is to say, was always going to be the kinder thing.

Also, one of the most powerful moments in the books for me was imagining listening to David screaming to two hours as they trapped him.
Less the actual scene, I kinda felt like it was glossed over a little. Ax's reaction is pretty intense too.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2010, 05:18:55 PM »
I think that by glossing over that scene it added impact to it. You don't need to describe it in detail. Let the reader's imagination take over, and make it even worse, you know? Applegrant was good at that.

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2010, 09:49:23 PM »
Totally agree there. That scene is powerful because we can visualize it and it's not pretty.
roguebluejay, you're quite right, Ax's reaction was pretty hardcore, even for him. Which shows just how heavy this decision was.

Offline roguebluejay

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2010, 08:12:13 PM »
I think that by glossing over that scene it added impact to it. You don't need to describe it in detail. Let the reader's imagination take over, and make it even worse, you know? Applegrant was good at that.

In fact, thats kinda a staple of the series. The books are so brief and the description is so little that it allows you to imagine alot! Stupid things like how the barn looks or what the school is like or whatever. Then that continues right up to the David decision stuff and imagining what it would be like to be a rat.

Offline xXxAntz 313xXx

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 11:38:29 PM »
how do we actually read the books???