Author Topic: Favorite Animorph  (Read 18678 times)

Offline arzwlf

Re: Favorite Animorph
« Reply #225 on: April 26, 2010, 05:20:59 AM »
Favorites

Rachel-willing to do anything for the mission, got the job done whatever the cost (especially #54)
Tobias-very sad story, interesting personality
Jake
Ax
Marco
Cassie-SO sick of her whining

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
  • your daily dose of skepticism
« Reply #226 on: April 26, 2010, 07:26:34 PM »
My favorite animorph is Cassie. Shocking, huh?
;) after everything everyone has said about her in this thread.... yes. ^^ i think your explanation is sweet, though. :3

also like how arzwlf is the opposite in favorite, but identical in second fave. xD

why does everyone here like tobias so much? xD;; i take it back; we've totally been over this before. but STILL! everyone likes tobias! D: or nearly everyone. it's insane.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 07:29:18 PM by itw2009 »
“The President and a small group of people know exactly what he meant."

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #227 on: April 26, 2010, 07:30:29 PM »
He's the woobie! Everyone likes the woobie.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
« Reply #228 on: April 26, 2010, 07:53:23 PM »
lol. woobie.

stands for.... emo-hawk-kid? ^^;

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #229 on: April 26, 2010, 08:09:34 PM »
It's a TV trope that means someone meant to be sympathetic enough that you want to hug him and make him feel better. Though I know many people say he's wangsty because living as a hawk with a group of friends and a real purpose in life is definitely a step up from before.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
« Reply #230 on: April 26, 2010, 09:12:48 PM »
that sly wangster.

sorry, the word just sounds wrong. xP

all right; i get that. sort of. i have absolutely no desire to hug him, however. ^^; i don't think i ever sympathized well with him. i'm just gonna leave you guys with all your sympathy-empathy to coddle the poor kid.

("cheer up, emo hawk." is what i want to say every time. xD)

Offline arzwlf

« Reply #231 on: April 27, 2010, 03:27:45 AM »
i think another reason that alot of people like tobias is because it is so evident that KA hates him. everytime something good happens to the kid he gets punched back down.
[spoiler]
oh? your cousin wants to adopt you? POW she's Visser 3......

ah, you want a family with your mom and go through hell to save her? WHAM you have nothing in common and dont even wind up hanging out with her.......

oh you fell in love with a girl that might actually let you enjoy being human? BAM polar bear on the blade ship.....

[/spoiler]
dam kid couldnt catch a break

the only time the whole series he was happy was when he was getting eaten by dinosaurs.....

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
« Reply #232 on: April 27, 2010, 07:08:41 AM »
haha; yeah, i get that, too. katmike never did give the kid a break. say, ever.

still, what happened to him was just so outrageous that i find it impossible to feel for him. i mean, what does it feel like to lose everyone close to you? i have no idea.

...pfft. sorry; when you mentioned the 'happy' bit, i couldn't help but remember tobias' semi-conscious reliving of a clue game while rachel and marco were trying to grab the escafil device from david's room.

"PROFESSOR PLUM! IN THE CONSERVATORY!"

Offline KitsuneMarie

• On the move
  • Gold Donor
  • Fantastic Ms Fox
« Reply #233 on: April 27, 2010, 09:24:41 AM »
I'm with you on this one, Court. I've never loved Tobias the way a lot of RAFians seem to. Woobies are cute and huggable and all, but I can't relate to them. I tend to like strong characters who struggle with what it is they're doing, rather than their role in the first place. Stories about identity crises can get hackneyed if the writer isn't really careful--and the "my mother abandoned me and my father is a dead alien" story just doesn't really cut it for me. I respect Tobias's character a lot, his development is great, and I think he makes impressive strides throughout the series, but, ugh, it's just so sad it's almost ridiculous. So... to answer the topic's question, my favorite character when I originally read the series was Jake, and now it's both Jake and Marco.
Aluminator's RAFsister

Offline medomai

« Reply #234 on: April 27, 2010, 01:36:50 PM »
My favourite is Marco, and always has been. I always liked the funny guys, and the fact that I identify the closest with him is just icing on the cake.

He's not emotional to a fault, and he realizes that there is a separation in his mind from the right thing, what needs to get done and his emotions that isn't there in the majority of the population surrounding him. It's not something that he can just up and change it, he just runs with it. I don't think he's cold for not feeling as much, it's just... him doing it. He gets frustrated with emotion from others or sentiments he sees as useless (pretty much why he and Cassie are the ones to clash over some mission details), because everyone should be able to make decisions clearly with the emotion not a part of it. I'm definitely an A-to-B kind of thinker, so I would always be nodding along to Marco's thoughts, "Yup, yup, it sucks, it's horrible, but necessary (you know, agreeing with him) - " Cassie interjects. " - oh, you can't be serious."

Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not saying Marco was inhuman, but just his whole paradigm of the world, making decisions, how he sees things is very similar to how I do. He does feel, I find him the most emotionally intense of all of them, actually. The fact that he feels so much pain and still makes the hard - but right - decision. (Like, you know, in book eight, when Ax didn't kill Alloran for honour's sake or whatever? Marco would have killed him. (Although for complicated reasons, I think it's a good thing Alloran didn't die, however frustrating that was.))

He doesn't lay down and say, "Oh... My life kinda sucks..." He'll complain, sure, but when the bite of that fades, you know he's sold on it. He thinks about what he really believes before committing himself so later when things got hard, he rest assured that he knew what he was doing when he signed up for the Animorphs. Maybe he felt doubt, sure, but he sits down and thinks about it. Marci is very introspective. Once he got over his initial ambivalence, Marco was in. He let his head guide his heart.

Plus, I always respect witty people. I'm not terribly witty and I laugh easily. Teh funny is very important to me. I love jokes, sarcasm, snide comments, puns... Love it all. No one else had a chance to be the fav, except in the last book when Jake took the cake because I wasn't too impressed with Marco after everything and Jake was just more compelling at that point.

Post Merged: April 29, 2010, 10:05:38 PM
My favourite is Marco, and always has been. I always liked the funny guys, and the fact that I identify the closest with him is just icing on the cake.

He's not emotional to a fault, and he realizes that there is a separation in his mind from the right thing, what needs to get done and his emotions that isn't there in the majority of the population surrounding him. It's not something that he can just up and change it, he just runs with it. I don't think he's cold for not feeling as much, it's just... him doing it. He gets frustrated with emotion from others or sentiments he sees as useless (pretty much why he and Cassie are the ones to clash over some mission details), because everyone should be able to make decisions clearly with the emotion not a part of it. I'm definitely an A-to-B kind of thinker, so I would always be nodding along to Marco's thoughts, "Yup, yup, it sucks, it's horrible, but necessary (you know, agreeing with him) - " Cassie interjects. " - oh, you can't be serious."

Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not saying Marco was inhuman, but just his whole paradigm of the world, making decisions, how he sees things is very similar to how I do. He does feel, I find him the most emotionally intense of all of them, actually. The fact that he feels so much pain and still makes the hard - but right - decision. (Like, you know, in book eight, when Ax didn't kill Alloran for honour's sake or whatever? Marco would have killed him. (Although for complicated reasons, I think it's a good thing Alloran didn't die, however frustrating that was.))

He doesn't lay down and say, "Oh... My life kinda sucks..." He'll complain, sure, but when the bite of that fades, you know he's sold on it. He thinks about what he really believes before committing himself so later when things got hard, he rest assured that he knew what he was doing when he signed up for the Animorphs. Maybe he felt doubt, sure, but he sits down and thinks about it. Marco is very introspective. Once he got over his initial ambivalence, Marco was in. He let his head guide his heart.

Plus, I always respect witty people. I'm not terribly witty and I laugh easily. Teh funny is very important to me. I love jokes, sarcasm, snide comments, puns... Love it all. No one else had a chance to be the fav, except in the last book when Jake took the cake because I wasn't too impressed with Marco after everything and Jake was just more compelling at that point.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 10:05:38 PM by medomai »

Offline Vanish

« Reply #235 on: April 29, 2010, 11:41:13 PM »
Medomai, a great analysis of Marco. I completely agree and relate the best to him too. I think he is the best character of the Animorphs. I've written this earlier but I don't understand all the fuss about Tobias. Why do so many fans like him? I found his character way too whiny, yes he had it the worst but everyone had stuff they were dealing with.
O(o_o)O

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
« Reply #236 on: April 30, 2010, 07:14:42 AM »
^^; i think tobias was whiny for some good reasons; note that marco was whiny-er but, by comparison, the guy got off easy (and he knew it). granted, part of tobias' sad life was his own doing... and it's a little difficult to mourn over what you never had (a loving family), but, well, every time he tried to build that family for himself, it ended up getting torn apart again. Plus, the guy was tortured. Literally. it's hard not to whine a bit about that.

and. LOL, medomai.... do you happen to like cake much? xD

you know, i wonder... if marco hadn't been given/taken on jake's responsibilities, i think he would've been able to make decisions the same way jake does. but then, i never knew the reasons for jake wanting to keep everyone alive.... as in, his real motivations. was it really all duty and honor? like, a superficial 'i'd be a terrible leader if i let them die' thing? because that would never hold much water with me... and i doubt it would for him, under pressure. so did he actually care? was it emotional at all? or was it logical: 'if i let them die, i have fewer resources with which to win this war'?

someone's going to cop out and say 'both', but i think that it's unusual for 'both' to be the answer. ultimately, we're driven by one or the other, to a greater or lesser extent. imho. i could also be simplifying things, but the fact that i don't even have a simple answer says a lot. i think that's my greatest issue with jake's character- for all that he narrates so many books, we really don't get into his head.

but again, he makes decisions that i respect, so hence why he's my fave. :)

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #237 on: April 30, 2010, 09:00:28 AM »
It's the first I believe. He's not cold and calculating enough to consider his friends resources, and he has a connection to all of them. His cousin, girlfriend, best friend, and tagalong.

Ani-Master 2014!

Alic

« Reply #238 on: April 30, 2010, 01:55:12 PM »
Jack is finally letting my read them to him! He of course doesn't understand everything.
Book one just left the construction site.. I asked him who his favroite was.

He said Visser 3.

Offline KitsuneMarie

• On the move
  • Gold Donor
  • Fantastic Ms Fox
« Reply #239 on: April 30, 2010, 01:59:27 PM »
Lol, Patty, that is so cute! Was he freaked out by V3's snack?
Aluminator's RAFsister