Author Topic: Favorite Animorph  (Read 18673 times)

Alic

Re: Favorite Animorph
« Reply #240 on: April 30, 2010, 02:09:31 PM »
He gave me a funny face, I put a lot of emotion into my readin. ;) at first when I was explaining what Elfangor looked like he thought it was going to be scary

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #241 on: April 30, 2010, 02:16:19 PM »
He said Visser three! Wow. Just wow.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline KitsuneMarie

• On the move
  • Gold Donor
  • Fantastic Ms Fox
« Reply #242 on: April 30, 2010, 02:23:26 PM »
Ah, ok, so Visser Three gets brownie points for being an exterminator of scary blue aliens. I get it now. And even though V3 can be a scary blue alien dude, himself, he spends some quality time not looking like an Andalite, too.
Aluminator's RAFsister

Offline Blaise Zebrataur

• Ranked 56th in Most Posts
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's MVP of Roleplaying
    • Oreius Nascar Leagues
« Reply #243 on: April 30, 2010, 02:31:57 PM »
My favorite of course will always be Tobias without a single doubt.The chracter is just so awesome and amazeing to see him to be like that in the books and I can really relate to him by looks and feelings most of the time.

Alic

« Reply #244 on: April 30, 2010, 02:48:48 PM »
Tobias is emo.

Marco ftw.

Offline KitsuneMarie

• On the move
  • Gold Donor
  • Fantastic Ms Fox
« Reply #245 on: April 30, 2010, 03:02:57 PM »
So... I wonder why people who like Tobias like Tobias. Is there some kind of trauma in their pasts? Are they especially empathetic people? Were they prone to being bullied as kids?

Tobias's situation was just so pathetic from the beginning that I have trouble relating to him. The other Animorphs have a more relatable level of anxiety and stress--for me, at least--so that, as their troubles grew during the war, I could continue to sympathize with them. Tobias is more alien to me than Ax.
Aluminator's RAFsister

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #246 on: April 30, 2010, 03:06:14 PM »
I was bullied, and have trouble making friends, which is why I empathise with him. I'm the loner too.

Ani-Master 2014!

Alic

« Reply #247 on: April 30, 2010, 03:07:50 PM »
Tobias was okay. But it got kind of pathetic for me. He's like the boy version of Bella (twilight) that's how bad he's is to me.

I need humor. Marco has the funnies. He's closest to my personality and can find a joke in everything.
I want a real life marco... Just older...

Offline Blaise Zebrataur

• Xtreme Member
    • Oreius Nascar Leagues
« Reply #248 on: April 30, 2010, 03:10:21 PM »
*Ignores all the bad things being said about the Tobias chracter.*uh...huh.

Offline arzwlf

« Reply #249 on: April 30, 2010, 06:15:35 PM »
you know, i wonder... if marco hadn't been given/taken on jake's responsibilities, i think he would've been able to make decisions the same way jake does. but then, i never knew the reasons for jake wanting to keep everyone alive.... as in, his real motivations. was it really all duty and honor? like, a superficial 'i'd be a terrible leader if i let them die' thing? because that would never hold much water with me... and i doubt it would for him, under pressure. so did he actually care? was it emotional at all? or was it logical: 'if i let them die, i have fewer resources with which to win this war'?

someone's going to cop out and say 'both', but i think that it's unusual for 'both' to be the answer. ultimately, we're driven by one or the other, to a greater or lesser extent. imho. i could also be simplifying things, but the fact that i don't even have a simple answer says a lot. i think that's my greatest issue with jake's character- for all that he narrates so many books, we really don't get into his head.

but again, he makes decisions that i respect, so hence why he's my fave. :)

i agree with all the above mentioned. and yes, i will take the both route but i'll explain

i think in the beginning (literally, not the book) he was more idealistic, and felt he had a responsibility to the team not to get anyone killed, remember they were just a stop gap before the andalite fleet arrived, they never imagined they were gonna win the war without them. after enough battles and enough chaos i think he changed, and the cold calculating side came out. i seem to remember at one point him studying up on old war generals, and almost all of his books had some darker tones. finally in the end [spoiler]he makes the ultimate tough decisions. he sends his best friend on a semi suicide mission to find erek who *might* be able to help, and sends rachel on an ACTUAL suicide mission to keep the rest of the team alive, and to kill his own brother[/spoiler] if that all isnt cold and calculated i dont know what is. he saw the way to end it and did what needed to be done. as marco would say he saw the clear line from A to Z and took it

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
  • your daily dose of skepticism
« Reply #250 on: April 30, 2010, 10:21:39 PM »
^^ i can agree with that shift in priorities. earlier on, the idea was to stay alive. later, it was really up to them to actually win the war or lose everyone.

but there's really nothing emotional in there, that i see- that's a really logical take on things on both ends.... i.e., neither situation has to do with how anyone feels about the outcomes. which implies that jake could have sacrificed them all for a logically sound, yet entirely different long-term return if the situation had been different. i'm not going to say that he never made a human, emotional connection with any of them, but it feels as though he was distant from them all... and i wonder if he did this intentionally or not, and what his reasons were for doing this if it was intentional.

so, again, i get back to whether marco couldn't have taken jake's place easily. they can both make those logical decisions... and i think marco could have intelligently factored in emotions the way i suspect jake did, when planning theoretical missions.

so... blah-dy blah-dy blah. just some personal musing. :P
“The President and a small group of people know exactly what he meant."

Offline DeadlyNightshade

« Reply #251 on: April 30, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
Marco.
We have the same perspective :)

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #252 on: May 01, 2010, 07:44:41 AM »
I think the only thing preventing Marco from being the leader is that he's the second least willing to be in the war. Yes he wants to save his mom, but I think that's about as far as it goes. I don't think he wants to save the world or the Human race. He'd probably be happy with saving his mom and hiding out with his parents in a bunker or something for the rest of their lives.

Though Jake is the third least willing to be in the war, so he's not far behind Marco. It kind of goes Ax-Tobias-Rachel-Jake-Marco-Cassie. Anyway, he's better fit as the chief advisor or second in command.

I consider him the lancer, though he's not the only one who could be considered the lancer.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline arzwlf

« Reply #253 on: May 01, 2010, 07:53:24 AM »

so, again, i get back to whether marco couldn't have taken jake's place easily. they can both make those logical decisions... and i think marco could have intelligently factored in emotions the way i suspect jake did, when planning theoretical missions.

so... blah-dy blah-dy blah. just some personal musing. :P

i think he could have, though it wouldn't have been as effective. everyone misses things, and i think marco acting as jakes "sanity check" was most effective. i think after the first couple books he was motivated enough to stay in the war and lead. but every commander needs an XO that will make sure he doesn't miss anything, i thought they worked very well together. i guess long story short, if jake up and died, yes marco could have made it work, but if jake was still around, i think their current relationship was the most efficient and beneficial

Offline Blaise Zebrataur

• Xtreme Member
    • Oreius Nascar Leagues
« Reply #254 on: May 03, 2010, 09:31:55 AM »
Go Tobias for #1 Animorphs Character  :tobias: