Author Topic: Group Re-Read: MegaMorphs 2, In The Time of the Dinosaurs  (Read 6599 times)

Offline Kotetsu1442

Re: Group Re-Read: MegaMorphs 2, In The Time of the Dinosaurs
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2010, 11:53:49 AM »
The way I see it the book accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do-the Animorphs go back in time and have an adventure with dinosaurs. It puts our heroes into a real wilderness survival story and introduces whole new aliens.

Well yes, it does; and I'm all for "go back in time, dinosaur adventures." But in a very B-movie sort of way (which isn't to say that I am not capable of appreciating the entertaining aspects of a B-movie despite their flaws), where the time-travel didn't make any sense but it was just given to you and you have to just accept that it happened anyways. I think sci-fi literature has come a long ways in the last half-century due to reliance on high standards of scientific and engineering plausibility even when (perhaps especially when) the science is only theoretical. I almost said something along the lines of "this isn't fantasy," but even in a world ruled by magic, fantasy novels still make sure that the events in their universe take place according to the rules and methods that explain how magic functions within it.

Again, in general the adventure itself was good, but it is fairly poor literary form to tell the reader "It happened this way, don't worry that it doesn't make sense" when it really could have worked in a plausible way without effecting the plot at all; I really think it was entirely within KA's capabilities to have created it in a cohesive, reasonable manner.
If your attack is going well, you have walked into an ambush.

Offline t0bias

• vote for toby '09
Re: Group Re-Read: MegaMorphs 2, In The Time of the Dinosaurs
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2010, 06:23:06 PM »

2) i think it was a very nice break from the war... i don't know why but i really like the chrinicles and this book better than any others

4) i think that it was pretty cool that th nesks and mercora were the masters of our planet before we were...

8) if you think about it the humans only exist BECAUSE the humans exist
never give up, never surrender,