Author Topic: Group Re-Read: MegaMorphs 2, In The Time of the Dinosaurs  (Read 6601 times)

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
Group Re-Read: MegaMorphs 2, In The Time of the Dinosaurs
« on: January 15, 2009, 09:51:12 PM »
Summary
We could blame everything that happened on Marco. He was the one who heard about the downed submarine. He was the one who thought we should check it out. And everyone knows that if Marcos up to a challenge, I'm definitely there.
Everything was going fine. Until the explosion. An explosion that blows us millions of years back n time. Back to the age of dinosaurs. Now Tobias, Cassie, Marco, Ax, Jake, and I are fighting for our lives with every step we take. But that's not our biggest problem. Our biggest problem is we have no idea how to get back to our own time...

Questions
1) The entire debacle gets started because Marco hears about a downed submarine and alerts the group in a non-war related rescue mission. This is basically one of the only times we see the Ani's do something like this actively. Do you think they should have used their powers to help people (in ways unrelated to the war) more often?

2) This is one of the few books (the only book?) that has absolutely NO Yeerks in it. Did you find the book completely irrelevant, a nice break from the war, or something else?

3) In general, what'd you think about the idea of the Ani's in the dino time? Did you think KA's portrayal was well-done?

4) What do you think of the portrayal of the Nesk and the Mercora and the idea that Earth was being fought over millions of years before humans popped into existence?

5) Based on this book, the Animorphs are basically the cause of not only the extinction of the dinosaurs, but also the evolution of humans. What do you think the world would be like if the comet had never struck Earth? Pure speculation, of course, but how do you think the Earth may have evolved in 65 million years if nothing had wiped out the dino's?

6) Rachel briefly brings up the idea of Tobias staying in morph permanently. Then, when the dino morph takes over Tobias' mind temporarily she revives him not by saying he's human, but by saying he is a hawk. What do you think about these scenes? What does it say about their characters and their development?

7) Cassie, the moral one, gets caught up in the T-Rex morph and kills a triceratops. She is extremely distraught by the fact that she's killed an animal. Do you think she over-reacted? Considering what happens in the next book, do you think this was one of the things that led to the breaking point?

8) Anything else?

Next week: #19, The Departure

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
Re: Group Re-Read: MegaMorphs 2, In The Time of the Dinosaurs
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 10:27:26 PM »
1. more often? I can't recall one time they heard about something like this, and didn't help.

2. you know I just realized there were absolutely no yeerks invovled in this...I just thought it was cool that there were dinosaurs...

4. creative, and nice way to explain death of the dinosaurs...

5. good news, no yeerks. bad news, no humans either...and I don't think we'd have sentient dinosaurs because of something the ellimist said...

7. for once, I think she did indeed over-react... I mean yeah, it was bad, and horrifying, but not that much more so than killing hork-bajir or something...why was she that devastated this time?

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 11:12:35 PM »
Morfowt, you have to remember, she never ate a Hork-Bajir.  I think that was the intention until she came to her senses.  (And I have to say something about Jake's bravery -- I would not demorph in front of a T-rex.)

1) I don't blame them -- I've have somewhat of a Harry Potter syndrome ("playing the hero") myself.

2) I'm a paleontology buff, so I enjoyed the departure.  Especially because we see some triceratops (my favorite dino).

5) Humans are overrated. ;) Kidding.  Couldn't resist.

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 11:15:58 PM »
she had hork-bajir flesh in her mouth before...that seems close enough to me...

Offline dolphin4077

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 12:32:28 AM »
1.  I don't remember them ever turning their backs on someone in trouble.  However, I think it was better they were focused on the Yeerks because no matter how good they were, they could never stop every crime/disaster, and it would have distracted them.
2.  Because I liked the book, it didn't bother me that the Yeerks werent in it.
3.  I thought it was well done. 
4.  I liked the Nesk and the Mercora.  In a way Earth being fought over before human existence kinda makes sense.  Fighting/surviving is such an integral part of the planet's history.
5.  If humanity managed to survive with the dinosaurs around then I don't life would be that much different, except for being more prepared for all the Godzilla situations.
6.  It was a good way to bring up is Tobias more hawk than human.  However, when Rachel was talking about him as human, she just saying "you're human."  When she talked about him as a hawk she managed to give more details, make it a stronger argument.  Along with her being surprised with his dino knowledge, I think MM#2 shows that Rachel doesn't know everything about Tobias as a human.
7.  I think with everything being so heightened: the situation, the morph, the mission; the emotions are amped up too.  However, it is kind of weird considering how okay she was with Ax killing the T-rex and using it as a food source.  Does that prove Cassie is ok with violence as long as others do the dirty work?  I do think does cause a breaking point because in #19 she does have a dream about being the T-rex.  Funny how that is about the only time MM2 is mentioned afterwards.  Do you think the series should have made more allusions to it later on? 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 12:50:58 AM by dolphin4077 »

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 12:50:40 AM »
5.  If humanity managed to survive with the dinosaurs around then I don't life would be that much different, except for being more prepared for all the Godzilla situations.
what teach meant was if dinosaurs ruled the earth and humans never existed...after all if the dinosaurs never died, mammals wouldn't be able to evolve into humans...

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 07:28:41 AM »
5. good news, no yeerks. bad news, no humans either...and I don't think we'd have sentient dinosaurs because of something the ellimist said...

Well, not necessarily no yeerks. Yeerks may still exist and just have a plethora of dino hosts to choose from. You think Hork-Bajir are bad? What if there were a bunch of T-Rex Controllers running about?

Plus, if you're right and sentience never comes out of the dino's (which is arguable, since some obviously had heightened intelligence of some sort) then they can't put up much of a fight against invasion.

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 07:51:42 AM »
but would yeerks even be able to fit inside a dino brain? they're supposed to be pretty small, and sharks were already too small...besides...i f they don't mind not having sentient species, why don't they infest sharks or gorillas which are much more powerful than humans in raw power...

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 04:37:41 PM »
but would yeerks even be able to fit inside a dino brain? they're supposed to be pretty small, and sharks were already too small...besides...i f they don't mind not having sentient species, why don't they infest sharks or gorillas which are much more powerful than humans in raw power...
Some dino's had larger brain's than others. I'm sure it wouldn't work on ALL dinosaurs, but it may work on some.  And that's true that they like sentience....which is probably because they have characteristics like opposable thumbs and whatnot that make them more valuable on a spaceship...but then again, how sentient qualifies as sentient? Velociraptors were relatively intelligent. They weren't doing math, but still...

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 06:32:50 PM »
I can't imagine them building spaceships or weapons though, no matter how intelligent they got...

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 06:33:51 PM »
Besides, I don't see anyone really forcing a T-Rex's head into a Yeerk Pool -- not without harming the host. . . .

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 07:00:45 PM »
1) The entire debacle gets started because Marco hears about a downed submarine and alerts the group in a non-war related rescue mission. This is basically one of the only times we see the Ani's do something like this actively. Do you think they should have used their powers to help people (in ways unrelated to the war) more often?

I liked it. I find it interesting that this isn't the first time Marco has volunteered (despite his care free attitude) to use morphing to help people in a way that has nothing to do with the Yeerks. He did the same thing back in #5 the first book he narrated, when he came to the aid of a man being beaten by thugs.

2) This is one of the few books (the only book?) that has absolutely NO Yeerks in it. Did you find the book completely irrelevant, a nice break from the war, or something else?

Like in the previous question, I enjoyed seeing them help people in a way that had nothing to do with the Yeerks. Especially since it lead to one of the coolest books ever! Also it would have been weird trying to include the Yeerks in that kind of plot.

3) In general, what'd you think about the idea of the Ani's in the dino time? Did you think KA's portrayal was well-done?

I thought it was done pretty well and I loved the idea of them being trapped in the past with Dinosaurs. If there's anyone on the planet that doesn't think that's awesome, then they're insane.

4) What do you think of the portrayal of the Nesk and the Mercora and the idea that Earth was being fought over millions of years before humans popped into existence?

I liked the fact that even in the millions of years before humans were around, there was still people fighting over Earth. Has a kind of ironic symmetry to it. And of course I always love seeing an interesting interpretation of how a major event in history happened, especially if it involves time travel and aliens!  ;D

5) Based on this book, the Animorphs are basically the cause of not only the extinction of the dinosaurs, but also the evolution of humans. What do you think the world would be like if the comet had never struck Earth? Pure speculation, of course, but how do you think the Earth may have evolved in 65 million years if nothing had wiped out the dino's?

If you know anything about that period in history, you'd know that the Dinosaurs were already a dying race. Granted the comet certainly helped things along, but it was only a matter of time before the Dinosaurs became history. Maybe they would still have died out, or maybe they might have evolved into new creatures, but it still seems likely that mammals would have become the new masters of the planet eventually. It's even possible that humans would have evolved at some point, although it would have taken longer to happen.

6) Rachel briefly brings up the idea of Tobias staying in morph permanently. Then, when the dino morph takes over Tobias' mind temporarily she revives him not by saying he's human, but by saying he is a hawk. What do you think about these scenes? What does it say about their characters and their development?

It's pretty much the start of Rachel's "stay permanently as a human" campaign, which she pursues throughout the rest of the series. As for the hawk thing, it worked because the hawk is a part of who he is now so it's something he can identify with.

7) Cassie, the moral one, gets caught up in the T-Rex morph and kills a triceratops. She is extremely distraught by the fact that she's killed an animal. Do you think she over-reacted? Considering what happens in the next book, do you think this was one of the things that led to the breaking point?

I think it's a big part of why she breaks down in #19. If you recall she does seem hesitant in leaving the Animorphs until she has a nightmare about the events of this book, so I think it's fair to say it had a major impact. Honestly I think it's something that would have bothered all of them, but being Cassie it affected her a lot more deeply than the others.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Yarin

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Per scientia totus est ostendo sum
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 12:47:48 AM »
I can't imagine them building spaceships or weapons though, no matter how intelligent they got...
apparently you've never heard of the Voth lol
Live in peace and let your enemies be, but fiercely protect the ones you love. The Nyac Credo.

"Take me to jail please a Klingon is after me" Cave Guy Freakazoid  Freak-A-Panel.

"The fiction will see the real. The answer will question still."  Coheed and Cambria The Willing Well I: Fuel For The Feeding End 

The Pentagon has no contract with aliens or with afterlife entities... That I'm aware of... At this time

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 01:53:43 AM »
Yes and No... Elfangor had given the Anis the Morphing power to help save Earth. But this was to fight the Yeerks. Not exactly to go save people that are being mugged or drowing in the middle of the sea (incidents that were human led). BUT doing these things on the side DOES SAY A LOT about our heroes; going in a tangent when they can to rescue fellow humans. They had the power to help and they USED IT! Simply as that.

I never realized this fact. I can't remember the circumstances of the submarine incident right now.
But it WAS a nice change of pace for the series. An Animorphs adventure CAN BE done without the Yeerks.

I enjoyed her portrayal of the dinosaurs, Velociraptors, T-Rex and Triceratops. I don't think there was anything 'new' there, but it was well-done. Particularly liked the scenes where Tobias and Rachel face off the Velociraptors.

Nice concept, not hard to grasp, really. Important to also note, that it was at this time that Earth was ALMOST molested by The Cryak in the Animorphs Universe.
I didn't like the idea that one of the races (can't remember which one) had the whole colony-for-one creature... It was too similar to the Veleek concept, I think. And both those races being technologically superior and all.
What was up with the 'thought-speech-detector-alarm' thing?????!!!! Not even the Andalites or Yeerks have shown that!!!

This is really pushing the whole concept of time-travel and rarara. I remember thinking that Cassie's description of how the time fast forward and they returned to the present was really hard to grasp.

I actually can't remember this scene. But it is so contracdictory, isn't it!?

This was d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y the experience that culminates her feelings to what will happen to her in The Departure!
What I don't understand is that Cassie has morphed a predator before, ( I am thinking the wolf and the shark) and SHOULD have known what to expect of the dinosaur's mind. But the T-Rex overpowered her. How could the others handle it better than her, the 'animal-lover' of the group?!

...7.  I think with everything being so heightened: the situation, the morph, the mission; the emotions are amped up too.  However, it is kind of weird considering how okay she was with Ax killing the T-rex and using it as a food source.  Does that prove Cassie is ok with violence as long as others do the dirty work?  I do think does cause a breaking point because in #19 she does have a dream about being the T-rex.  Funny how that is about the only time MM2 is mentioned afterwards.  Do you think the series should have made more allusions to it later on? 
UHHHHHHH! You do bring up a very good point about Cassie here. Cassie comes of as a bit hypocrite at times. And this is what makes her person very confused and numb in #19.

8) Anything else?
I thought Tobias not being able to fix his broken wing... the whole thing with the 'unhealing-demorphing' because of the time difference was a load of bs on KA's part...
And Jake surviving inside the T-Rex's mouth was something many writers have done to the point of cliche, too. Nevertheless, the acquiring through holding on to the tongue was brilliant!

I liked Tobias endnote, too. It was refreshing to see the realism in the character's fond in Dinosaurs. Really connected with the Dino-phase.  ;)

Question: Cassie spoke at the end as if she had total memory recall of the Sario Rip episode in #11: The Forgotten. Sounds like a KASU to me...

Question: The Nesk seemed to be possessive ruthless evil beings. They showed that in those days, already there was evil manifestations happening on our planet. Who thinks The Nesk may well still be alive and active 65 million years in the Animorphs Universe?!?!?!?

Question: The nuke explosion didn't seem to be THAT far out from the coast. Can an underwater nuclear explosion, of the Sario Rip magnitude, TRULY not have caused any human casualties?! Especially with the whole rescue crew being very much near its epicenter?!

Next week: #19, The Departure
OH MY GEE!!! The Departure is POSSIBLY MY FAVORITE ANIMORPHS READ!!!!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 01:54:18 AM by Gafrash »

Offline amy_animorph

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 06:56:14 PM »
Summary

there aren't Yeerks in 44 after the first three or so pages.