Author Topic: Animorphs Movie Announced!  (Read 11282 times)

Offline NothingFromSomething

• Xtreme Member
Re: Animorphs Movie Announced!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 04:49:36 AM »
Just checking in here after a while, upon hearing the news.

Ehh, pretty skeptical personally, given the company and (Potter aside) track record.  And undoubtedly it's all going to be pretty tonally-neutered, no way they hard-PG-13 this thing.  Probably end up something akin to the Goosebumps flicks, sanitized & safe, best case scenario more like Maze Runner or Hunger Games or all that other generic-as-it-gets YA stuff lately.

I'm not even into Potter, but those things at least had the grade-A production values and teams behind them.  Can't visualize this being in that league, personally - hopefully Katherine & Michael have at least some voice/sway with the project, but yeah, end of the day I can't see it.

Cynicism ahoy!

Person Of Interest re-watch.  Still stunning as ever.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 05:03:04 AM »
Yup, even morphing in and of itself is too graphic, unless they're all Cassified.

I'm wary due to it being a 2 hour movie and not a show. Streaming format works so much better for this kind of thing, book by book. Not even sure how this can work at all unless it has planned sequels; way too much to fit, unless they do something completely unexpected...

Standalone Hork-Bajir Chronicles Film?! Do it, we all want it! :hork:

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 08:38:33 AM »
I don't even know that structure/format is an issue for The Invasion as such, the first book basically plays like a Spielberg/Amblin flick from the glory days as it is.  Beat-for-beat, page-for-page, you could transcribe #1 as it is and it works as a movie.

It's after that where it becomes a problem.  Yeah, there are filler books no doubt, but like 2/3 of the 54 books have important lore/setup stuff you can't just omit.  I kinda feel when you start playing the mix-and-match game with plot points and trying to condense stuff into other stories, that's where it's going to get messy and potentially lose impact.

A show's a cool notion format-wise, sure, but effects and budget aren't there, not even now.  You kind of need a movie budget for the full potential of the Pool, of the scrappy (undoubtedly CG animals) fights, all that jazz.  Not even sure movies do living creatures all that convincingly with CG personally, but at least there's precedent for getting close among the really high-end A-level productions.

Tone's more what I'm worried about.  Animorphs is a weird one in that the light & silly stuff is really light & silly, and the dark stuff is dark.  It's not out of the realm of possibility that the suits decide to just really go for it, and they find a director with the chops to go there, but...yeah.  It'd be the exception rather than the rule, and I doubt Katherine & Michael have much say in the matter once Scholastic has decided the thing's going ahead. 

Honestly, Animorphs probably needs to be somewhere in the vicinity of, like, Terminator 2 without the cussing or 80% of the blood, methinks.  Harder-edged than the superhero movies.  Obviously with all the humor & playful sarcasm & weirdness in-tact, yeah, but when the stuff's going down, it's gotta really go down. 

Also, does this even work in a world of cell phones & social media & the current zeitgeist?  Animorphs was so 90s - and that's not a criticism - I'm just trying to figure it out.  Insidious threats & guerilla warfare on home turf & general paranoia aren't exactly foreign concepts to kids these days in a post-9/11 world.  Half of the thing with the books was taking these 13/14 year old suburban kids who'd never even had to consider such things, and really throwing them in the middle.  1990s Bill Clinton peacetime USA.  Nothin' going on that a kid really had to worry about, not at home.  That's all out the window as of the 2000s.  Kinda feel like you lose something setting it now - and they're absolutely going to set it now, too much demographic $$$ in play.

Gonna wait though, no point assuming it'll be as tempered & punch-pulling as we're used to.  To be fair, a lot of the YA adaptations we've seen on-screen are based on some slightly-tamer material anyway, probably even Hunger Games is a bit more restrained in some ways than Animorphs was.  So maybe they'll embrace and run with it?  *Shrugs*

Michael (freakin') Keaton is Batman again, that's not a sentence I thought I'd ever speak.  So, strange things happen.  Could be in 6 months Katherine & Michael come out announcing Scholactic's secured Fincher or Cuaron or someone equally-unrealistic to direct the fricker.   :D  Not gonna happen, but...Michael Keaton's Batman again.  Crazy radness abounds on rare occasion.

Offline goom

• Administrator
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 01:52:40 AM »
I don't even know that structure/format is an issue for The Invasion as such, the first book basically plays like a Spielberg/Amblin flick from the glory days as it is.  Beat-for-beat, page-for-page, you could transcribe #1 as it is and it works as a movie.

A single movie for #1 could definitely work - my format comment was made under the impression it would be a standalone/cram everything about the series into 1 movie.

Also, does this even work in a world of cell phones & social media & the current zeitgeist?  Animorphs was so 90s - and that's not a criticism - I'm just trying to figure it out.

Setting it in the 90s has been a popular request, and definitely would help deal with some of the major plotholes we'd run into with smartphones existing and all.

A good point made in this Youtube Video, they absolutely need to focus on a target audience. The book fans (in their 20-30s) or new generation.

“Do you hate trash cans? Is that your problem? Do you just HATE TRASH CANS?!!” reference is mandatory! :D

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 05:07:23 AM »
In a few of the news articles, they mentioned there'd be a graphic novel coming out in October. This is the author doing that book, if anyone's interested: https://www.amazon.com/Chris-Grine/e/B001JP8EK8/

I know I'll give it a shot.

Offline Ash

• RAF Ancient
  • Social Staff Leader
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 10:09:03 AM »
Dropped in after reading you made a thread on Discord (Hi Gewm!)

Cautiously excited!
You may have been given a cactus. Doesn't mean you have to sit on it.

Generation One

Keep up with RAF! Twitter | Facebook

Suspicious activity? Bot alert? Report the post or PM a staff member!

Offline goom

• Administrator
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 12:05:58 AM »
Dropped in after reading you made a thread on Discord (Hi Gewm!)

Cautiously excited!

waves

meee too! any Ani news is good news in my book. if only to bring it back into circulation.

Offline AniDude89

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 12:41:31 AM »
I think the series is long overdue for a reboot.  What's popular with kids these days?  Long running epic shows on Netflix, movie remakes with a gazillion sequels, and comics/manga with later animated adaptations.  Animorphs is doing all of those to stay relevant.  Well, minus the series on Netflix, but it was rumored way back.  Maybe the movie will lead to it or the graphic novel series?  They can't cover everything in the movie or even potential sequels.  Some stuff is going to be adapted in other forms of media.  An animated series would be best if that were the case.  How about some new video games?  Or even some new toys and merch?  I always wanted a Hork-Bajiir can opener.  And what better way to say I love you than a pair of Yeerk earrings?     

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 02:48:47 AM »
Dropped in after reading you made a thread on Discord
Where can I locate a link to that?

Offline movingthestars

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 12:45:25 AM »
Tone's more what I'm worried about.  Animorphs is a weird one in that the light & silly stuff is really light & silly, and the dark stuff is dark.  It's not out of the realm of possibility that the suits decide to just really go for it, and they find a director with the chops to go there, but...yeah.  It'd be the exception rather than the rule, and I doubt Katherine & Michael have much say in the matter once Scholastic has decided the thing's going ahead. 

So they’ve been pretty candid about their level of involvement. And while they have been clear this could change, at the moment it seems like they are being taken seriously. I just heard Michael talk about how they were asking him about the rating, and he said it needed PG-13 for sure.

I think they’re being cautiously optimistic about the whole thing— and so that’s what I am choosing to be as well. It’s pretty clear they care a whole heck of a lot.
Follow me on Instagram: @theanimorphscollector

"We do not interfere. But sometimes we repair what has been shattered.”

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2020, 06:35:48 AM »
I mean, yeah, there's an outside chance it's done right for sure.

Just been burned a bunch of time before with this sort of stuff, and writers theoretically getting to have their say doesn't necessarily pan out that way in practicality.  All it takes is one influential suit to throw their weight around and overrule them, not much they can do at that point once the rights have been signed away to the movie house.

For whatever reason, I just can't personally fathom a movie studio really leaning into the harder-edged stuff with this.  Even skeptical on them taking the fans remotely seriously with their "set it in the 90s" request, if that's indeed happened (haven't really been following the social media and stuff).  Just seems like from a business standpoint it'd make more sense for them to update it to now and go with a breezier Goosebumps movie type of vibe.  Can't fault their logic, but it'd suck for us.

But yeah, stranger things have happened, not going to write it off as dead on arrival.  Sometimes the universe throws out a wacky positive curveball.

Offline .: Asmo

• Elder One
  • Xtreme Member
  • :(){ :|: & };:
    • Some Name Space
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2020, 09:59:00 AM »
I'm seeing an Avatar 2.0 for some reason.
.: Asmodeus
GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
Sole Zombie Apocalypse Survivor 2012/2014/2015
James Bond Villain 2013/2014/2015
Most Likely Harbinger of Armageddon 2014
Best RAFian Superhero/Sidekick (or Supervillain/Minion) Duo 2014

Offline movingthestars

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 05:46:20 PM »
I feel you @nothingfromsomething
I see you said something about picturestart? I honestly thought their social media was satire when I first saw it, but no that’s really how they are. I totally get your feelings and I’m worried about it too— but with this combination we might do okay, is how I felt. Did picturestart do badly previously?

This is what I think about when I think about the 90s thing. I think about
1) Cobra Kai — a show clearly made for 80s nostalgia but set in present day. I feel like they did an amazing job of keeping the necessary vibe
2) The Babysitters Club— also had to bring to present day a series from the 80s/90s. To me, this show was well done too.

Set in the 90s is obviously best. But even if they couldn’t do that, there are other ways maybe.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 06:02:44 PM by movingthestars »
Follow me on Instagram: @theanimorphscollector

"We do not interfere. But sometimes we repair what has been shattered.”

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2020, 04:46:05 AM »
I've heard bad things about the modern Babysitter's Club adaptation.

Offline Quaf

• Andre, the seventh animorph
  • Gold Donor
  • be excellent to each other and party on dudes
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2020, 11:59:38 PM »
Really? About what? I personally loved the babysitters club show and have only heard good things from other people. They managed to keep the plot, characters, and themes really true to the books while bringing the setting forward in time.
Gives hope for if they decide to make animorphs present day, but with the success of stranger things and the like, I feel like there's a high chance they'll go for the 90's nostalgia factor.

Well, I'm the boss... Head Honcho. El Numero Uno. Mr. Big. The Godfather. Lord of the Rings. The Bourne... Identity. Er... Taxi Driver. Jaws. I forgot the question quite a while back. Who are you, again?

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2020, 04:04:53 AM »
Katherine & Michael just bailed on any involvement with it.   :rofl2:  Probably get the ol' "Executive Producer" tip-of-the-hat name drop and a "based on the work of..."  in the credits and that's about as far as it goes.

Yep, this is gonna suck if it even does come to pass.  We're looking at Jack Black Goosebumps here people, not movie-Potter.

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2020, 01:40:15 PM »
Hey, Nothing! I've missed arguing with you, old bean! (And occasionally agreeing with you when you talk movies. :] ). Tbh you're one of the five reasons I haven't completely thrown my more libertarian or conservative associates under the bus. I know it sounds weird that I hold nothing against you, considering that we got occasionally nasty, but like ... I'm a lawyer. I like arguing for its own sake.

How've you been?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 01:43:21 PM by Shenmue654 »

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2020, 09:17:38 AM »
Eep, politickin'.   ;D

Yeah, pretty good pretty good.  Kinda bailed on the site a while back due to inactivity, but likewise cool to check back in here with the movie news after so long and see some of the regulars around!

• Elder One
  • Xtreme Member
    • Some Name Space
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2020, 11:53:37 AM »
Any new news on the crap shoot?

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2021, 08:18:35 AM »
Honestly I'm kind of mock-dreading the first news.   :P  Seems the project's like 99% a go at this point, as good as greenlit, so I guess chances are 6 months from now we could be getting cast & crew announcements public.

But after Michael's social posts, yeah...

Not.  Expecting.  Much.  Whatever "wait and see" attitude's kinda evaporated, if Michael had felt the need to allude to the Percy Jackson author dude's take on his experience with those movies.  Situation seems grim.

Sucks, too, 'cause in a perfect world with them approaching this with some grit & grime and 90s-feel (movie style as well as period setting) along with commitment to sticking true to Katherine/Michael's writing, an Animorphs flick I feel could really be something special.  Like even in an objective sense outside of being a fan, just seems like this world done right could really hit home with the public & critics alike.  But yeah, kinda just overall surprised how little I seem interested in this beyond some curiosity, like I owe it to the books and childhood memories to check it out, but not much more.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 08:23:51 AM by NothingFromSomething »

• Elder One
  • Xtreme Member
    • Some Name Space
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2021, 10:32:44 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/Animorphs/comments/m5k76k/the_full_reason_why_michael_grant_and_ka/

Did not do it any justice ... but it's typical of the Hollywood of things.

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2021, 10:19:49 PM »
Yeahhhh.  My prior cynicism pretty much panned out, huh?

A shame he seems so bitter about it though (not that it's not totally justified, of course it is, just...would be nicer for them if they were a little more ambivalent with the time passed and all).

The *real* sh*tty thing is, I'm still gonna watch it.   :(  Not in theaters or whatever, but due it it being f*cking Animorphs I'm still checking it out sometime while bored on Netflix or whatever, down the line.  The people making these crappy decisions pretty much get rewarded for it, anyone who was going to see an Animorphs movie is still going to end up seeing it.

100% convinced by now it's going to...well, not even necessarily *suck* (Michael said he does like some of the writer's work), but it's sure as hell not going to be faithful.  Just feel bad for Katherine & Michael, basically, at this point beyond curiosity I don't much care how the flick actually turns out.  Expected nothing, so when you get nothing it's not some punch to the gut.

• Elder One
  • Xtreme Member
    • Some Name Space
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2021, 09:01:46 AM »
Think it can be worse than the TV show?

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2021, 01:48:44 PM »
Eh, I never held anything against the TV show, it was what it was.  Cheap cash-in, they did it all the time with everything back in the day.  The show never had any expectation of being quality (and even then, I kinda felt they at least got the paranoia vibe more or less right, for some G-rated Nick thing).

This is a movie, supposedly with some substantial producers and money behind it.  If it bites, they don't have the same slack to cut them as the show did.  This *could* be good theoretically, if they wanted to actually include Katherine & Michael and hire a director willing to "go there".  The show was just like...Scholastic going "hey, this is hot property among the kiddies, let's milk another million or so out of it, license it to Nickelodeon or something!".

I get Katherine & Michael feeling p*ssed about the show back in the day too, sure.  But the movie's gotta feel like more of a kick in the guts, considering there could have actually been something here.