Author Topic: The Encounter: Too Dark?  (Read 7105 times)

Offline nightallaround

• Nevermore.nu
The Encounter: Too Dark?
« on: May 11, 2018, 12:06:23 PM »
Hey guys,

I just finished reading The Encounter for my recaps, and it had never occurred to me as a kid how dark that book is. Tobias contemplates and actually attempts suicide when you think about it. How do you feel about that being in a book targeted toward children? Do you think the material is too dark?

Offline Dylan

• Jeremy Jason McCole's #1 Fan
  • Xtreme Member
  • Do you just hate trashcans?
Re: The Encounter: Too Dark?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 07:12:40 PM »
The last time I remember reading this book was I was 12/13, so I was right at the age level targeted. From I remember, this one was actually one of my favorite books. I loved all the tobias books, so I think that's why I liked it. I do remember being completely shocked by the suicide attempt in the book, but it made me want to read it. I reread it a bunch of times.
Waffles. Nuf' Said.
2015: Best Newcomer to RAF
2015: Most Insane Member

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 10:54:53 AM »

The series was geared towards kids between the ages of 9-12, which, as an adult re-reading the series, surprised me. There's A LOT of dark stuff in Animorphs: genocide, slavery, shades of grey morality, cannibalism/auto-cannibalism, and, in the second book, Rachel nearly gets sexually assaulted.

I think the series should have been targeted towards the older, young adult audience, but I'm fine with it being a dark 9-12 series, too, because I don't believe in talking down to kids.
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline TheWolfEmperor

• The Salem Author From Bennington
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 01:44:49 PM »
People call it dark, I call it realistic. This has always been the reality that children of all ages have had to face since the dawn of time. They'll face it long after the last of us have turned to dust.

Tobias has been the character I have most strongly identified with from the word go. Unfortunately, not even Pop Arena's analysis of his character has changed that view. I very nearly was the kid who either got himself a whole page in the year book or ended up in the news for a completely different reason. And if I suddenly had powers well, I'd be the victim who got powers. That's a scary thought.
Author, Blogger, Soldier, Spy

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 03:35:51 PM »
The series had some really dark stuff in the early books. I think it lightened up later, but still had some dark vibes. And then you get to the last books, where a bunch of people die, and the heroes lead broken lives until they have a reason to go on a suicide mission. You know, for kids!

Ani-Master 2014!