Animorphs Section > Animorphs Forum Classic

Visser 3 as a leader

<< < (2/3) > >>

Shenmue654:

--- Quote ---V3 always came off to me like Vader in that very first scene in A New Hope where he's just storming onto the ship with a bunch of troopers choking people and screaming in their faces.  A very different Darth Vader than in Empire or Jedi where he's all calm & collected & wise, but cool in its own right.
--- End quote ---

I love DinosaurNothlit's point (it is almost like V3 literally got the Animorphs equivalent of my book's "Esper Backfire Syndrome" upon infesting Alloran!), but I can see Nothing's as well. When he was done right, that is exactly the impression you got from K.A. in the main series. The real problems set in when Visser Three tried to get lunchmeat to alter free will; I am not even making this up. :P Or like...got hit by a skunk. Granted that was absolutely there because people like V3 are intensely fun to humiliate. XD

Like, I think that there absolutely needed to be more quality control. So that the best books held up to the series worst.

tigz:
Keeping in context with story, I agree with Dino
--- Quote from: DinosaurNothlit on August 02, 2017, 06:35:34 PM ---and also: I think he did actually go crazy. 

--- End quote ---
Over time and after repeated failures in defeating the "andalite bandits", anger and desperation would have an effect on his mental state. His goal at the beginning was to take over Earth but over time his goal becomes to kill the "andalite bandits", his desperation and desire to do so increasing with every defeat and blinding his mind and judgement leading to numerous errors and oversights.
Not to mention that behind the scenes hes getting more and more pressure heaped on him from the council, having less and less patience over time.
That could all account for his wild and impulsive (and generally foolhardy) behavior.
As a side note, I also have a personal idea that he knew full well they were human at some point midway through but that his insistence on broadcasting them as andalites would give him extra wiggle room (for lack of a better sounding term) with the council for his repeated failures. I'm sure andalites were seen as formidable foes whereas humans possibly wouldn't be. But thats just personal idea and doesnt exactly fit with the canon in places.

ViciousVisser:
Visser Three is definitely an interesting character, but he is at times incompetent!

He almost kind of reminds of the villian in Scooby-DOO who says "I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling kids!" Haha I don't know why I always think that but I do.

NothingFromSomething:
I sort of think that was kind of the point though, Vicious.  He's a trope, y'know?

Contrasting with the fairly-believable, totally three-dimensional characterizations of the kids themselves, the villain is this big larger-than-life, tried-and-true irredeemable "one of my lower-ranked guys failed me, OFF WITH HIS HEAD!" mustache-twirler type.

It sort of worked really well, especially given all the cool cheesy 1950s sci-fi elements the series is drawing from, among the Spielbergian/Amblin movie vibes.

Shenmue654:
Well, sort of. The problem is that he wasn't this all the time. It was as if Bowser had moments where he was *brilliant,* interspersed almost at random with his Scooby Doo mustache-twirling villainy. And other moments where the writer wrote the Scooby Doo villainy far better. Granted, there's something interesting about that statement. Bowser as he was written in Super Mario 64 hadn't acquired his characteristic cadence. Instead, he sounded like he had gone to Hork'Bajir Harvard. XD Check for yourself: They fix it by the DS version, but man is it odd.

All that said, I adore the old bastard, right down to the crazy. ;) But I do wish he didn't have that one time where he created GMO beef. XDD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version