Author Topic: Illustration scans for Animorphs #1 (Japan edition)  (Read 4787 times)

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
Re: Illustration scans for Animorphs #1 (Japan edition)
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 06:06:45 PM »
Oh man, when Dave and I were visiting our friends in Japan I looked in every stinkin' bookshop we came across for Animorphs...even had help from my Japanese-speaking friend to try and figure out how to write the Japanese title XD  "'Animofu' wa arimasu ka?"  Sigh...to no avail.  These are awesome  ;D

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 08:57:24 PM »
lol Myitt, you should try by Internet. You can't find them in shops.
I don't remember if I gave the link, so:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?__mk_ja_JP=%83J%83%5E%83J%83i&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=%83A%83j%83%82%81%5B%83t&x=0&y=0
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline wildweathel

• Werret of Portland
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2009, 09:26:36 PM »
Why?

Why is Japanese stuff so much cooler?

Actually, I wonder how good the translation is--I certainly hope it's as nice as the illustrations.  My Japanese skills are not anywhere near good enough to tell the difference between a good and bad translation yet, but, heck, at a couple bucks a piece I can afford to buy two copies of each and scan one. (Destructively.  A good scan requires unbinding.  But, oh, how I hate to do that to a book!  :'()

Which reminds me... Anyone interested in a Japanese-language study group?  I am not currently actively studying the language, but mostly because I don't have much study material nor a discussion group.  I wonder how difficult these books are.  Yes, I see that there are kanji, but it is possible for an adult learner to jump right in.  Beneficial even--that way you don't build up a huge backlog of kanji to learn later.

Tomorrow I'll see if I can pick up a textbook (since I'm going to the bookstore anyway), but there aren't any classes in the area, unfortunately.
Kony 2012
arrest the worst

Sharing a special bond of RAFenmity with Tocade since Dec '08.

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2009, 09:39:52 PM »
If you want the text in Japanese, I can do that easily ^^ And we have scanners in the university... So if I can enter the University during holidays, I can scan (a part of) the first book...
And Japanese stuff isn't really cooler: they had only 5 books translated!!

Edited: If you make a group of study, I'll come.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 03:08:28 AM by Dameg »
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
My Forum

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2009, 02:12:11 AM »
Why?

Why is Japanese stuff so much cooler?

Actually, I wonder how good the translation is--I certainly hope it's as nice as the illustrations.  My Japanese skills are not anywhere near good enough to tell the difference between a good and bad translation yet, but, heck, at a couple bucks a piece I can afford to buy two copies of each and scan one. (Destructively.  A good scan requires unbinding.  But, oh, how I hate to do that to a book!  :'()

Which reminds me... Anyone interested in a Japanese-language study group?  I am not currently actively studying the language, but mostly because I don't have much study material nor a discussion group.  I wonder how difficult these books are.  Yes, I see that there are kanji, but it is possible for an adult learner to jump right in.  Beneficial even--that way you don't build up a huge backlog of kanji to learn later.

Tomorrow I'll see if I can pick up a textbook (since I'm going to the bookstore anyway), but there aren't any classes in the area, unfortunately.

The translation seems pretty accurate from what I can tell.  I think a study group would be a great idea!

I skip a lot of the kanji myself (I only know up to second grade and a few from the higher grades), but I can get the meaning from context and already knowing the story.  There are some furigana though, which also helps.

And I could scan my copy if I ever get the time.  Which I don't see happening this semester.  :P

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2009, 09:11:40 AM »
Unfortunately shipping and the exchange rate makes the total for just one book over fifty bucks!  :o  The book alone is 16, and the marketplace sellers can't ship to the U.S....;__; 

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline wildweathel

• Werret of Portland
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2009, 09:20:38 AM »
Sure if you buy and ship them individually from Amazon.  ::)

Pay a friend/casual acquaintance/pen pal/random Japanese person met on lang8/business contact/whomever to order several at once, throw them in a box, and ship it.  Along with a couple volumes of your manga/dorama/consumer-electronics/cute-stuffed-animal/whatever-addiction-of-the-moment.  Shipping per item is less expensive for larger packages.
Kony 2012
arrest the worst

Sharing a special bond of RAFenmity with Tocade since Dec '08.

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2009, 07:28:11 PM »
You could use a shopping service.  I've heard good things about Celga and Crescent Shop.

I won't be buying anything from Japan for a while, myself, with the exchange rate as it is.  :-\

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2009, 12:21:21 AM »
I could help... of course I could... but I don't do that for free ^^' If you want I buy and send things from Japan for you, you should pay for it...
But you can ask...
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
My Forum

Offline Aila

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2009, 07:26:24 PM »
I'd be careful with Celga, they ripped me off a while back.

But anyway, awesome scans.  I never knew Animorphs has a Japanese release, and it was a plesant surprise to see how un-manga-like the artwork is.  Not that I have a problem with manga-style, I love manga.  I just don't like the illustrations in all my Japanese language books.

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2009, 03:55:38 AM »
haha yeah, it was a big surprise to see it's really different to usual Japanese drawings... I don't really like the front pictures, but the black&white ones are great ^^ And there were only 5 books translated in Japanese, and not famous, not easy to find... So if you wanna own them, buy them soon ^^ They'll disappear slowly, like the other old kid books in all the languages after 10 or 15 years...
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
My Forum

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2009, 01:15:33 AM »
Wicked!!! Nicely done sketches. So these were actually used in the translated Japanese Editions? Kewl!
They all managed to capture scenes from the books real well.

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2009, 01:51:05 AM »
yeah ^^ maybe it can help you for some scenes.
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
My Forum

Offline Mr. Guy36

• Xtreme Member
  • im still in ur ear, still controllin ur body
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2009, 01:36:25 PM »
Those are awesome looking. I always assumed they didn't change anything else when they translated.

I refuse to remove this sig because of some petty argument. RAF must remain solid.
By popular demand, now with Gaz!

Above silence, the illuminating storms - Dying storms - Illuminate the silence above

Offline Early

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2009, 04:08:51 AM »
These are outstanding.  Never liked the cover art or bindings on American Animorphs books.  I used to call it my "Skittle shelf".

"Something witty and compelling in quotation marks... Heck, why not, it rhymes too."