Author Topic: Estelore's Poetry  (Read 13654 times)

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
Re: Estelore's Poetry
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 09:44:13 AM »
I get it, and it nauseates me.
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 08:49:29 PM »
Ah, now. Back to the poetry. I like occasionally to do pieces on my musical instruments. Here is one from scratch, so we'll see how this works out. Be warned, beloved readers: I personify my instruments. My clarinet is Claire (and she has been Claire for as long as I've played her, long before I met SuperClaire), and my violin is El Violeta (Spanish for The Violet, as opposed to El Morado [the purple], in a male-gender sense. My violin is distinctly a 'he'). My keyboard is Caius (as in Caius Cassius from Julius Caesar, my favourite character in the tale...plus, the keyboard is a Casio). No, I'm not a lunatic...I think.
---
Violin

I am in my easy chair, my happy place,
with a cat on my lap and a book in my hands.
The cat purrs softly, a musical rippling sound
that buzzes warmly against my chest.
I try to resist the insistant tingling in my fingertips,
but it cannot be denied.
I sigh deeply, resigned, but just under my skin,
every nerve ending is popping and crackling
like lightning and white fire.
The book in my hands closes
with a rustle and a snap.
The cat leaps from my lap,
and I cross the room
in an instant.

My ears ring with anticipation,
and I force myself to go slowly
and patiently when I open the case.
There he is, the other half of my soul.
His four strings cry out to me
as the air whispers across them,
a purple sound like light and wind,
elegant and yearning.
I know in an instant that he has been
faithful and true, keeping always in tune.
I pull up the straps that hold him down,
and that radiant, royal voice,
so heartbreakingly sad and human,
chimes its lament for our lonely hours,
when we were apart.

I balance him lightly against my chest
while I draw and tighten the bow.
The rosin lingers there, still fresh and sweet,
a thick, wild scent that speaks of shadows
under spruce and pine.

Gently, so unbearably slowly,
I raise my violin to my shoulder,
until he rests snugly against my face,
nestled perfectly in the curve of my throat,
as though we had been built together in one piece.

I lift the bow.
I strike the first note.
The world falls away, and the song fills my mind and my soul.
Each chord burns like ice in my veins, pulsing against my face and chest,
great roaring waves of sound.

My soul soars, and my violin sings with agony and rapture,
as though an angel were trapped inside,
bound for all eternity
by four delicate strings and a tiny box of spruce and tiger-maple.
I feel the song in my teeth and my fingertips,
a sweetness almost like pain,
a sorrow almost like love.

Then, it is over, and nothing is left
but an afterglow that resembles moonlight.

I loosen the bow and put it away.
I clean the fingerboard and chin rest
with a soft cloth, leaving no rosin dust,
oil, or fingerprints to mar his beauty and grace.
Tenderly, I place him back into the case.

Just as the securing strap tightens down on his neck,
he crys out to me, again.
It sounds like a farewell.
Or a blessing.
Or a prayer.

I can't help making a soft, silent cry of my own,
as the last latch clicks shut with a small,
but final,
"Snap".
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 04:42:27 PM »
I just felt like doing these.

OWL.

{o,o}
l)___)
-"-"-

Kirby Dance.

<(^_^)>  (>^_^)> <(     )> (>^_^)> <(^_^)> <(^_^<) <(^_^)> ^(^_^)^ <(^_^)>

Rose.

@---,---`---

Offline zaprowsdower

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Ancient of Days
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 06:40:32 PM »
 ???
Not caring about what's popular since 2006.

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 06:41:12 PM »
What? I just felt like doing those.

Offline zaprowsdower

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Ancient of Days
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 06:41:35 PM »
Uhm, OK

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 06:46:24 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly. I loathe rap, though.
Everyone misspells it; they forget the k in the front ;D.

I hate rap too. I just don't get it.

And rap hates the both of u!!!!!!!!! Jk u guys r entitled to ur opinions just like how I hate all kinds of country, metal, and Green Day
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 06:49:08 PM »
*chuckle* Okay, you've commented on my musical tastes. What do you think of the poetry? (Don't worry, I'm brutally honest, so I can take it.)

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »
Im not a fan of poetry so  I wouldn't know whether it's really good or not but It's better than anything I could write

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 06:51:26 PM »
Gee. Thanks!

Offline zaprowsdower

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Ancient of Days
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2008, 06:52:01 PM »
What?!! You like a rap but not poetry??
Does not compute.

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2008, 08:05:10 PM »
I don't like things that ryhme but dont have music.

Glaflafock

Offline Qwerty the Charliecorn

• The cannibalistic pipe-dweller
  • Xtreme Member
    • My deviantART
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2008, 10:22:47 PM »
All I can say is... Wow. I know, lame way to review someone's poetry, but "wow" is the only word to describe it. I think Shard of Night is my favorite. I also loved your most recent, Violin. The descriptive words you use are perfect. The mental images are so vivid and clear. And the emotion in each piece is so powerful. You really are a wonderful poet, and you should seriously consider getting some of your work published.

OWL.

{o,o}
l)___)
-"-"-

Kirby Dance.

<(^_^)>  (>^_^)> <(     )> (>^_^)> <(^_^)> <(^_^<) <(^_^)> ^(^_^)^ <(^_^)>

Rose.

@---,---`---

Very poetic, by the way. :P
If you are not in my avatar, and would like to be, or if you changed your name and avatar and would like me to update it, PM me. I cannot add or change anyone at the moment as I lost the file I use for this, but if people still want in, I'll work on it.

I am RAFmarried to my sweet shnukums, Rachel. ;D

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2008, 02:01:03 PM »
THANKS!!!  ;D ;D ;D
I LOVE getting a sincere review! I'm glad that you enjoyed my writing.

Shard of Night was written during a time in my life when I was hurt, sad, and angry, but I knew that I had more important things than my emotions to demand my attention. I had to force myself to focus, by creating a state of icy calm inside my mind and heart. It reminded me almost instantly of the way that Jake described the mind of his tiger morph: cold, emotionless, fierce, in the way of a predator. I had that sense that, despite it all, nothing could touch me, as long as I kept solidly within that state-of-mind. It helped me survive through a lot of suffering, because I was able to feel, as the poem states, 'like ice and glass': delicate, but hard, cold, and sharp-edged...impermeable, despite its temporary nature. I felt the emotional equivalent of that perfect, frozen, clarity. However, through all that, I could feel a fearsome darkness trying to build inside my soul, and I had to figure out how to fight off the darkness before I became a permanent part of it, without letting my emotions swallow me whole. The poem is the result of those conflicting feelings, and the absence of feeling, which is infinitely worse than any pain.
Pain tells you that you are alive.

Violin is almost a love-poem, to be perfectly honest. That violin is a part of me, the way my hands and eyes are part of me. To play it is to lose yourself and to love yourself...to let go of everything that inhibits the passions of your soul (no, I don't mean that in a dirty way. There is more than one kind of passion, and this is more like religious passion than anything else.), allowing yourself to just...BE. I am never more truly myself than when I am writing or creating music. I've played piano longest of all my instruments, but there is something...intimat e (NOT in a dirty way, but in a PERSONAL way) about playing a violin. You literally FEEL each and every note, through your skin, through your fingertips, and through your teeth and the bones of your face and torso. The lower notes resonate your vocal chords, too, so sometimes it is almost like singing. It also feels very natural, the way its shape follows the natural curve of your neck and collarbone. I could honestly play until my fingers bled, and love every instant of it.

Offline Qwerty the Charliecorn

• The cannibalistic pipe-dweller
  • Xtreme Member
    • My deviantART
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2008, 02:13:40 PM »
Violin is almost a love-poem, to be perfectly honest. That violin is a part of me, the way my hands and eyes are part of me. To play it is to lose yourself and to love yourself...to let go of everything that inhibits the passions of your soul (no, I don't mean that in a dirty way. There is more than one kind of passion, and this is more like religious passion than anything else.), allowing yourself to just...BE. I am never more truly myself than when I am writing or creating music. I've played piano longest of all my instruments, but there is something...intimat e (NOT in a dirty way, but in a PERSONAL way) about playing a violin. You literally FEEL each and every note, through your skin, through your fingertips, and through your teeth and the bones of your face and torso. The lower notes resonate your vocal chords, too, so sometimes it is almost like singing. It also feels very natural, the way its shape follows the natural curve of your neck and collarbone. I could honestly play until my fingers bled, and love every instant of it.

Wow. You just described the way I feel about music. When I play my piano, I feel like I'm somewhere else, like the world is far behind me and I'm where I belong. It's like each note, each chord, is taking me somewhere far away. Heh, there are very few people I know who understand why there's so much more to playing an instrument than just moving your fingers and playing notes.
If you are not in my avatar, and would like to be, or if you changed your name and avatar and would like me to update it, PM me. I cannot add or change anyone at the moment as I lost the file I use for this, but if people still want in, I'll work on it.

I am RAFmarried to my sweet shnukums, Rachel. ;D