Author Topic: Do we really want an adaptation/general adaptation discussion  (Read 14065 times)

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
Re: Do we really want an adaptation/general adaptation discussion
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2015, 07:47:34 AM »
[whiny13yroldgirlvoice]Buttttt I want a movie!!! ****uuu decently-budgeted web series!!!! :explode: :'( :'( [/whiny13yroldgirlvoice]
(But seriously, why web animated? Why not real TV show.)

A small fanbase would get it screwed by the network. The only way it could survive would be on the internet. Also, nobody would have to worry about censorship and executive meddling is a tad less likely.

Not a good thing.  You want a movie to be made because it merits making and someone has a coherent vision for it, not as simply part of some broader resurrection trend.

I really, really believe you need to wait until this YA-reader teen series adaptation thing dies out, too.  It'd get lost in the stampede at this point, real risk of coming off as just another Maze Runner/Percy Jackson type of thing, down in the B leagues.  If it's going to happen, give it a decade or so, see what the landscape looks like then.

This.
yeah

Offline Dylan

• Jeremy Jason McCole's #1 Fan
  • Xtreme Member
  • Do you just hate trashcans?
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2015, 05:12:44 PM »
Not a good thing.  You want a movie to be made because it merits making and someone has a coherent vision for it, not as simply part of some broader resurrection trend.

I really, really believe you need to wait until this YA-reader teen series adaptation thing dies out, too.  It'd get lost in the stampede at this point, real risk of coming off as just another Maze Runner/Percy Jackson type of thing, down in the B leagues.  If it's going to happen, give it a decade or so, see what the landscape looks like then.
I'd actually say the YA book trend is becoming less popular. After the huge critical farts like The Host or Divergent, there are whole lot less kids I know (And it's kids in my generation who fueling the whole YA thing) going to see these things. (or comparatively, it's less popular since back in the days of Twilight and Harry Potter)
It's the 80's/90's superhero angry Megan-Fox-is-April-O'Neil internet nerds stuff that's getting popular in the movie world.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 05:14:43 PM by Dpsb5 »
Waffles. Nuf' Said.
2015: Best Newcomer to RAF
2015: Most Insane Member

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2015, 07:05:06 PM »
I reserved tickets for Mockingjay: Part 2. Gonna see it on Friday! :D

But yeah, considering that one of the big series is ending, it's dying out. But still, I really don't want an Animovie.
yeah

Offline NothingFromSomething

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2015, 10:07:50 PM »
Dpsb, pretty much every other blockbuster coming out these days is a YA book adaptation, between that and superheroes it's the hot thing right now.

You need to separate Animorphs from that somehow if it's going to be more than a drop in the bucket, be remembered. 

Person Of Interest re-watch.  Still stunning as ever.

Offline Dylan

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2015, 01:16:03 AM »
Dpsb, pretty much every other blockbuster coming out these days is a YA book adaptation, between that and superheroes it's the hot thing right now.
Meh. I still feel like those have already peaked in popularity (compared to 2009-2012, In which I'd say your right about that time period). We had like four real YA blockbusters this year (Mockingjay: part 2, Insurgent, Scorch Trials, and PaperTowns (which just did fine)). Compare this to the 90's/80's reboots (Mad Max: Fury Road, Poltergeist, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fantastic Four, Goosebumps, Jurassic World, Godzilla, The coming up all female Ghostbusters, the coming up Jumanji , RoboCop, Terminator: Genesis)(not saying these movies are bad, just pointing out all the reboots) from this year and last year. If Animorphs becomes a movie, it's gonna be for the I-love-the-90's reboot machine.
Waffles. Nuf' Said.

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2015, 11:42:32 AM »
YOU PUT "PAPER TOWNS" IN CAMELCASE

YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGIVEN
yeah

Offline Dylan

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2015, 12:29:33 PM »
WHAt iS cAMeLCasE? ToO LaZy tO loOk It uP. I'M noT quITe Sure WhY yOu wOULd GEt mAd THat i PuT tHe TiTLE AS PaperTowns
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 12:33:19 PM by Dpsb5 »
Waffles. Nuf' Said.

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2015, 02:26:11 PM »
BECAUSE THERE SHOULD BE A SPACE BETWEEN THE WORDS, DAMMIT
yeah

Offline Dylan

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2015, 03:42:37 PM »
Paper.Towns
==+PAPERTOWNS+==
\\PaperTowns\\
baber tomns
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 03:45:02 PM by Dpsb5 »
Waffles. Nuf' Said.

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2015, 03:52:40 PM »

Sorry about all the images lately.
yeah

Offline Dylan

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2015, 12:29:44 AM »
I think I've figured out a way in which to put the main animorphs series into 5 movies. (I did not put any of the MMs or the Chronicles in)
[spoiler]
Movie 1
The Invasion
Important Characters: Jake, Rachel, Tobias, Cassie, Marco, Tom, Elfangor,Visser 3,
Secondary Characters: Chapman, Visser 1, Marco's Dad, Ax
Minor Characters: Jake's Parents, Rachel's Parents, Cassie's Parents, Melissa, Erek (He get's an early cameo :) )
Main Plot Points: Introducing The Animorphs (and their motivations to fight), Introducing The Conflict and Villians, Setting up the Universe, Finding Ax, Finding out about the whole Marco and Visser 1 thing, and Tobias geting stuck as a Hawk
Books Covered: 1-5
Stuff to cut out: Allot of stuff from 2 and 3. (Rachel and Tobias's reasons to fight will be given in a different way in the plot.)

Movie 2
The Stranger
Important Characters: Jake, Rachel, Tobias, Cassie, Marco, Ax, Ellimist, Erek
Secondary Characters: Jara, Ket, Visser 3, Marco's Dad , Rachel's Parents
Minor Characters: Jake's Parents, Cassie's Parents, Melissa, Chapman, Visser 1, Tom, Jordan, Sarah
Main Plot Points: Introducing the Ellimist, Introducing the Chee and Erek, Free hork-bajir, Tobias getting his power back, the Animorphs's first major victory with distroying the Kandrona
Books Covered: 7, 10, 13
Stuff to cut out: allot of the stuff from 10 (we just need the introduction of Erek and some of the dad drama from that book)

Movie 3
The Threat
Important Characters: Jake, Rachel, Tobias, Cassie, Marco, Ax, David,
Secondary Characters: Visser 3, Visser 1, Erek,
Minor Characters: Ellimist, Chapman
Main Plot Points: The rise and fall of David, the beginning of the break down of the team, the fallout from them destroying the Kandrona in the last movie, The infest the world leaders plot, tensions between V1 and V3 as a subplot
Books Covered: 20-22
Stuff to cut out: Not much, The David trilogy is pretty cohesive

Movie 4
The Answer pt 1
Important Characters: Jake, Rachel, Tobias, Cassie, Marco, Ax, Visser 3, Visser 1, Eva, Marco's Dad,
Secondary Characters:  Erek, Tom, Loren, James
Minor Characters: Ellimist, Jara, Ket Chapman, Melissa, Rachel's Parents, Cassie's Parents, Jordan, Sarah, Other Auxiliaries, Elfangor
Main Plot Points: Marco killing Visser 1 and getting his Mom back, Tobias finding out that Elfangor was his dad and about his family, the war going public, them telling their parents, the Auxiliaries,Jake's Parents getting captured,Cassie letting Tom get away with the morphing cube
Books Covered: 45-50
Stuff to cut out: Mainly 46, 47, 48

Movie 5
The Answer pt 2
Important Characters: Jake, Rachel, Tobias, Cassie, Marco, Ax, Visser 3, Tom
Secondary Characters:  Erek, Ellimist, James, Eva, Jara, The Governor
Minor Characters: Ket, Marco's Dad, Chapman, Melissa, Rachel's Parents, Cassie's Parents, Jake's Parents, Jordan, Sarah, Other Auxiliaries, The One, Loren, David (he get's a cameo)
Main Plot Points: The war at it's highest stakes, the group crumbling apart, the subway train full of explosives, dumping yeerks into space, taxxons becoming jungle snakes, death of the auxiliaries, death of Tom, death of Jara, death of V3, death of Rachel,  Aftermath of the war, The One.
Books Covered: 51-54
Stuff to cut out: 51 would be seriously condensed
[/spoiler] 
Waffles. Nuf' Said.

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2015, 01:08:10 AM »
You can't find Ax in a first movie, man.  That's a whole thing.

Offline Dylan

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2015, 01:28:41 AM »
You can't find Ax in a first movie, man.  That's a whole thing.
soooooo, you would want 4 to have it's own movie?
Waffles. Nuf' Said.

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2015, 02:02:45 AM »
It's a pretty big deal between Ax and the Marco/Eva revelation in the next book.  I think you might combine those two.  But The Invasion, book 1, I've noticed is really cinematic in itself.  You could pretty much do close to a page-for-page adaptation of that, just as it is, and it'd work as a movie.  Sets things up, ends making you want more.

It's going to get messy and really jumbled if you start mish-mashing books.  Just omit the filler ones entirely, you're left with say 30-35 essential plots.  Probably could get away with 5-6 movies for the bigger, broader arc stuff, and fill in the remaining 30 in-between movie releases with a high-quality animated series.  Include the animated stuff free with the DVDs/Blu-Rays of the movies, so as to maximize the general audience having seen it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 02:05:38 AM by NothingFromSomething »

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2015, 07:55:09 AM »
Any movies seem packed and messy, with no real, single storyline. It's too episodic.

Also, Insurgent and ST didn't seem blockbuster-y to me. I barely heard about either.
yeah