Author Topic: Ear Piecings And Morphing  (Read 378 times)

Offline Tim Bruening

Ear Piecings And Morphing
« on: June 24, 2015, 02:10:12 PM »
The Separation: Rachael wears earrings on a field trip to the beach.  This means that she has holes in her ear lobes.  Why don't the holes disappear whenever she morphs and demorphs?

Why was she wearing the valuable earrings that she had gotten from her Dad anyway?

Offline Tim Bruening

Re: Ear Piecings And Morphing
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 05:18:17 AM »
I'm surprised that no one is interested in the possible effect of morphing on ear piercings.

Offline Quaf

• Andre, the seventh animorph
  • Gold Donor
  • be excellent to each other and party on dudes
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 05:22:32 AM »
Maybe earrings are like skin tight clothing.
Well, I'm the boss... Head Honcho. El Numero Uno. Mr. Big. The Godfather. Lord of the Rings. The Bourne... Identity. Er... Taxi Driver. Jaws. I forgot the question quite a while back. Who are you, again?

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 05:27:49 AM »
Maybe earrings are like skin tight clothing.

The earrings I have seen hang loose from the ears, often several inches from the body, so should not be included in the morphing field.  I figure that the holes in the earlobes made to hang the earrings from would count as injuries that would be eliminated by the morphing process.  Humans don't naturally have holes in their earlobes.  Such holes aren't part of our DNA.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 06:45:14 PM »
Why doesn't morphing fix haircuts, then?  Why doesn't morphing eliminate scars (we've read about scarred Andalites)?

My theory is that morphing takes into account your mental image of yourself.  It'd have to, because there are loads of things about your appearance that aren't determined by DNA alone.  Weight, for example, and even height, have to do with how healthy/malnourished you are, and that isn't written into your DNA.

Thus, certain things about yourself (height, weight, haircuts, piercings, scars) are taken from your subconscious mind, rather than your DNA.  And since it's your subconscious mind that determines it, you can't alter your appearance consciously (Rachel complains about not being able to fix a bad haircut by morphing, at one point).

So there you go.  The morphing technology is thought-controlled in more ways than one.

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 08:05:45 PM »
Why doesn't morphing fix haircuts, then?  Why doesn't morphing eliminate scars (we've read about scarred Andalites)?

My theory is that morphing takes into account your mental image of yourself.  It'd have to, because there are loads of things about your appearance that aren't determined by DNA alone.  Weight, for example, and even height, have to do with how healthy/malnourished you are, and that isn't written into your DNA.

Thus, certain things about yourself (height, weight, haircuts, piercings, scars) are taken from your subconscious mind, rather than your DNA.  And since it's your subconscious mind that determines it, you can't alter your appearance consciously (Rachel complains about not being able to fix a bad haircut by morphing, at one point).

So there you go.  The morphing technology is thought-controlled in more ways than one.

Maybe a mentally disciplined Rachael could fix a bad haircut by focusing on an image of herself with perfect hair!

Have any Animorphs tried to fix acne via morphing?