Author Topic: Why would Yeerks make it illegal to have hosts reproduce?  (Read 4250 times)

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
Re: Why would Yeerks make it illegal to have hosts reproduce?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 01:12:53 AM »
Okay, so you've necromance'd a thread; anything to add to the content itself, planetstella?

Looks like the replies break down as

1) because eugenics
2) because Yeerk society has a 1984 feel to it, with sex being a controlled commodity rendered as unenjoyable as possible so that it doesn't become an expression of individualistic goals and enjoyment
3) because if a Yeerk has human kids, they might love those kids too much to surrender them for infestation
4) because pregnancy creates a hormonally compromised situation that might make a host harder to control, or a Yeerk less effective at their job
5) because allowing Yeerks to bond closely with each other would diminish the competitiveness of Yeerk culture and encourage divisive personal loyalties
6) because pregnancy renders the uterus-having host a lot less physically capable of work, for the last few months before the birth, and for a month or two after birth

and on a meta-level relating to the authors' own ethical insights,

7) because it would be really creepy and demographic-inappropriate to write any situation where an infested human has sex, since in a majority of cases, the consent issues here are huge and obvious, and the authors preferred to draw the line at making hosts kill other human beings

Have we missed any?
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline Chad32

• God
Re: Why would Yeerks make it illegal to have hosts reproduce?
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 07:48:25 AM »
Hey, I thought I'd dig out the oldest thread in history, just for fun (I'm that kinda person). It was last commented on on the 26/06/2008 which means that this is the first comment to this particular post in nearly 7 years! I am sure I just broke a record of some kind :P

You necro'd a thread, just to necro a thread? Well it was one of my threads, so I will forgive you.

Ani-Master 2014!