Author Topic: Animorphs: Redux  (Read 9963 times)

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
Re: Animorphs: Redux
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2009, 09:49:23 AM »
Don't forget, still three chapters left.

Chapter Six

It was a viciously gruesome sight. The Veleek tore into David in a whirlwind fury. As the boy threw a gorilla shaped fist into the cloud of death, it was instantly sheared away, leaving him staring blankly at a bloody stump before quickly reforming it. David grew larger as a set of scales emerged to cover his hide, becoming a strange sort of bipedal crocodile. The scales flickered and then turned reflective, like armor. He snapped at the tornado and lost part of his snout for it, howling in agony as he stumbled back, reforming himself into an even larger type of bull. <Arggghh, what is this thing?! What did you do?! You crazy little ****!>

As the Veleek attacked the bull, trying to engulf it while David continued to frantically morph, searching for a form powerful enough to break the tornado, I heard a high pitched scream. "It's okay, Melissa. I sort of know what I'm doing!" I shouted over the noise.

The scream continued as Melissa responded with a shaky yell. "It's not me!" Sure enough, though she was wide eyed in fear and confusion, the scream wasn't coming from her.

I cast a quick glance over and rolled my eyes. "Oh, shut up, Marco." 

"No!" He shouted back at me. "You're insane! I knew you were insane, but this is INSANELY insane! Did I mention insane!? Where did you find that thing!? I thought it was destroyed!"

"Argue later!" Jake's firm voice rose above our yelling and the vortex of destruction. "Damage control, we can't let the security guards get involved in this. They'll be torn apart. Melissa, Marco, Tobias, keep them out of here!" Marco and Melissa ran to the door while Tobias swooped down between them. I didn't have time to wonder how they were going to accomplish that. Jake gave me a look. "I hope your plan didn't consist entirely of get the Veleek here and let them solve it Godzilla versus Mothra style."

"That's most of it." I admitted before adding quickly. "But it won't work if Mothra bails!" David had already decided he couldn't beat this thing, so he was fighting his way free of its grasp and breaking for the window to escape. He'd gone through several new forms, each one being torn to shreds. Right now he was rapidly morphing what looked like a massive red lion with long patches of blood running down his side. As powerful as the creature was though, it was useless against the Veleek. David obviously realized this, because he ran for the window as soon as he was on all fours once more. As soon as he was in open land, he'd disappear. I had no doubt that whatever form he'd assume could escape if he got free of the closed room. .

Jake yelled for Ax to stop him while starting his own morph quickly. I knew it wouldn't be quick enough. It was up to Ax, who sprang forward on deceptively dainty looking hooves. His tail flashed once, twice, three times! Both of David's front legs were gone, sending him crashing to the floor. He'd be up in a second, but by then it would be too late. The Veleek would have him!

Except it didn't, because the Veleek was suddenly focused on Jake. I realized the problem immediately. David hadn't morphed anything in a few moments and the Veleek had zeroed in on Jake morphing his tiger. I abandoned my own initial attempt to morph and threw myself into the half-morphed Jake. We fell in a sprawling heap while the tornado eradicated the television and desk, as well as part of the wall into the next room over. It was so close that I could feel the blades tear through by my back, drawing long lines of blood.

We hit the floor, crashing into the other wall with a dull thud. We were a jumble of tangled limbs, fighting to get free of each other before the Veleek ripped into us. I braced for the deadly embrace of the swirling blades, but it didn't come. Finally, I managed to roll onto my back. From there I could see Ax standing between David and the window. They both tensed, even as the Veleek came at them. David had fixed his legs and that drew the monster back to him. He had to make a move, but Ax could slow him long enough for the Veleek to get there. However, David had realized he didn't need to go through the window. His legs bunched as he prepared to leap through the hole that the Veleek had created when it crashed into the room.

There wasn't time to morph, or David would be gone. We'd never get him trapped this well again. If he escaped, none of us, or our families, would be safe. David was taking a running start to escape through the hole when I scrambled to my feet. He needed three steps to clear the hole. One step, and I was on my feet. Two steps, and I was hurling my frail human body at the enormous lion. On his third step, as he braced himself to lunge to freedom, I collided into David's side with all my strength. It was like hitting a brick wall, and he barely missed his last step. I grasped for his mane, hauling back hard on it as I threw myself haphazardly onto his back and jerked up and back violently, like a cowboy trying to halt a horse with the reins.

Suddenly I was holding air as David morphed himself around so that his head was facing me. His body was oriented the other way so there was nothing under me except floor, which I I fell to with a crash. Honestly, if he'd finished his escape right then, as Jake fought to pick himself up and with Ax too far away, he would have made it. But I was prone on the floor, and he couldn't resist the target. His head loomed over me even as the Veleek came at him. <Rachel.> He started to gloat. <Your sister-->

I didn't give him the chance. Bracing myself on my back, I kicked up as hard as I could with both feet, colliding with his snout. His head jerked up, straight into the embrace of the whirling cloud that was the Veleek. <Arrgggggghhhhh!!> His scream was beautiful music, until I was hauled straight up with him by the feet, jerked off the floor as the Veleek grabbed me. Each of the millions of tiny creatures that made up the monster swirled around us, slicing easily through my skin. My scream joined his as long gashes cut through my legs, arms, and even through my shoulder straight down to the middle of my back. Life was agony, and nothing existed but the next cut.

I would have died. I had no doubt about that. If I'd been drawn into that beast alone, I'd be dead. But I was just an incidental capture. The Veleek's focus was on David, who was constantly morphing as he screamed and howled. He was a dog and then a man, then a great lizard, then a massive bird with a two thickly muscled club tails. Every form he assumed was torn through in seconds, but his swift changes worked to shelter me just enough that I survived. Survived, but with hundreds, maybe thousands of cuts all over my body. I'd bleed out in minutes, even if the Veleek didn't shred me first. My entire body was on fire, as I nearly tore my throat out in a scream that matched David's.

One thing, and only one thing stopped me from morphing. If I morphed, the creature would focus on me. If that happened, David would escape. So I took the pain. I took the cuts and screamed, my vision so drenched with blood that I couldn't even see. He was morphing over and over again. I could feel the shifts as the Veleek compensated for each form. I was cut again, and again, this time through my forearm straight down to the bone. Nothing existed but agony, and anger. I ignored the first and embraced the latter as I never had before. Even through the pain, even through the terror, I forced myself to reach out. The Veleek tore my pinkie finger away. It was there one second and gone the next, as though it never existed. The only evidence of its passing being the small gushing wound that joined all the other wounds. I was dizzy, losing my mind, but I focused on that anger and reached. My hand caught hold of David's hair, and I hauled myself against him. It took a shattering amount of effort, but I managed to lock my arm around his throat. I had no strength, none at all, and yet I somehow managed to hold on. I clenched tighter against his throat, clinging desperately, as hard as I had ever clung to anything in my life. David, in his panic, couldn't stop me. He couldn't morph away, because he was being assaulted, savaged on every side by the deadly creature that held him in its hellish grip.

Somehow I found my voice, screaming in David's ear. "Try breathing now, you son of a ****!" I tightened my grip on him, praying he'd go for it. He had to go for it. I couldn't hold on. I had to hold on. My grip was failing, but I couldn't fail. I was slipping. He had to take it. He had to take the bait. "Take it!" I screamed, belatedly realizing if he had the slightest idea what I meant, he'd never do it. I was dizzy, losing grip on reality. My vision was gone. Nothing made sense any more. Where was I? What was I doing? Dimly I heard screaming and realized it was my own. I had no thoughts anymore. Nothing existed, except holding to David's throat as he choked.

Then his skin hardened, turning metalic. I was clinging to a robot, who had no need of air. David had morphed the Chee. How it was possible, I had no idea. All I knew was he was suddenly invincible.

Just like I wanted.

Somehow, with a strength that seemed to belong not to me, but to some mythical creature that the others seem to think I am, I managed to scream above the roar of the Veleek. "NOWWWWW!!!"

And then the Veleek was gone, dropping both of us. I fell to the floor in a bloody heap. I could see Belle holding the blue box in her hand. It glowed, its activation drawing the Veleek away, to the ultimate source of morphing energy. Belle ****ed her arm back and threw as hard as she could. The cube sailed up and into the sky. The Veleek was on it an instant later, engulfing the cube before swirling away with it. It disappeared through the atmosphere seconds later. It was free. Visser Three's scientists hadn't gotten around to retraining the creature to bring the morphing energy back yet after they had to scavenge the thing off the bottom of the ocean and practically bring it back to life. They'd given it the hunger for the morphing energy but that was it. With the cube, it could disappear into space, far away from any of this, and never need to return. It had all the energy it would ever need.

Jake was at my side an instant later. "Rachel!" He looked mortified, afraid to touch me. "Rachel you have to morph! Morph something, anything! You have to morph away... you'll heal... come on..."

"Not... yet..." I pushed my head up, every movement pure agony. There was almost nothing left of my morphing outfit. My hair, previously perfectly cut, was nearly sheared off. There wasn't a full inch of skin on me that wasn't bleeding through some cut or gash. But I saw David, and smiled.

Jake followed my gaze and stood. "David..." His fists were clenched.

David looked at his metal hands and then up again. He seemed to smile, but he hadn't figure dout how to use the hologram yet, so he was just a blank faced slightly canine looking robot. "Hey, Jake. Look at this, neat trick huh? Sorry your precious plan didn't work, but--" He cut himself off, lunging forward with his fist raised to deck Jake with the strength of a dozen hork bajir.

The blow never landed. David's fist stopped an inch before Jake's nose. Even David, with his expressionless metal face, looked startled. "Huh?!"

"Sorry, David..." I groaned out and pushed myself up. No matter how much it hurt, no matter how badly it killed me, I was going to be standing for this. "The plan... didn't fail. You can't hurt us. See with all that... uggn... with all that power, you get a real great price. Pacifism. You could rip us apart, but see, you really can't." I managed a laugh, then whimpered in pain before gritting my teeth. "You sick... demented... creep. You can't fight."

The fury rolled off of David in waves, but he wasn't afraid, not yet. "Fine then. I'll just--" He stopped, and if a robot could look confused, he would. "Morph. I can't... why can't I morph!?"

This time the laugh didn't hurt one bit. In fact, it felt pretty good. "That's the Chee programming. You morph, the chee programming knows you'll hurt someone. So it won't let you. This is you, David. This is you for the rest of your life. You'll never hurt anyone again."

I paused, trembling in agony, exhaustion, and utter reckless victory. "You lose."   

Offline dolphin4077

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2009, 01:59:24 PM »
excellent!

Offline OrcaMorph

• Transient Resident
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2009, 03:24:16 PM »
I repeat: oh shiiiiiiit. Very clever.
<OrcaMorph>

Read my blog on RAF: Transient Resident

Coming Soon

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2009, 06:40:53 AM »
Chapter Seven AKA Drode is an evil bastard.

In the end, it was hard to say who was more surprised, David or Jake. Both of them stood staring at me in silence for several seconds. I think the shock made their brains shut down simultaneously. That was okay, I was content to lean on the wall and bleed. I would have morphed so I could heal, but honestly, just the thought of morphing was enough to make me whimper. I was beat. No, scratch that. I was cut, bleeding, bent, bruised, and half dead, but David was the one who was beat. And the thought of his shock at how he'd been played supported me, gave me just enough strength to smirk at him. "It's not so... fun now.... huh...?"

I honestly think that if the Chee programming wasn't holding him back, David would have lashed out and killed me then. He raised both fists and held them there impotently, while I just stared evenly back at him. Our gazes met and I could feel his hatred rolling over me. That was okay, I hated him too. If I lost Jordan and Cassie, he'd see just how much.

Ax was the first to recover, walking over to stand between us. He kept his stalk eyes on David while looking to me. <You planned on David becoming trapped in the Chee morph where he would be unable to harm another?> There was a slight pause, and then he smiled in that way andalites have with their eyes. <Very good.>

"Rachel..." Jake had found his voice, turning back to me. "That was insane. Do you have any idea how... utterly... and completely... "

"Jake, I think I'm... aware of how... insane... it was." I took one step and then lost my footing and fell into Jake's arms. I managed to scowl at him for that. "If you tell Marco you had... to catch me... I will.... call that Veleek back here... I swear." It was hard to talk, and my vision kept getting darker as it became harder to focus.

"Don't worry, we'll get the--" Jake cut himself off, staring at me. "Rachel? Morph, okay? You've gotta morph now. It's over. You can morph. Rachel? Rachel!" I could hear his worry, and felt bad about whoever he was yelling at. I tried to tell him to chill out, to stop sounding so scared, but right then all I could do was drift off. A nap sounded good. I'd just take a little nap and then tell Jake to cool it and quit yelling over every little thing.

I think I dreamt after that. There was a spaceship, and Tom was there. I think there was a polar bear too, and I was supposed to do something. But what I was supposed to do didn't make any sense. It was a jumble in my head and nothing could straighten it. I was alone. Why was I alone? Why would I be so empty? It didn't make sense. I had Tobias, and Jake, and Cassie... but... did I have Cassie? No, she was gone. I'd trapped David in the Chee form. What chance was there that I would ever see my best friend again? I wanted to cry, but it didn't matter, because I was gone too. Wasn't I? Why was there a polar bear?

Someone was shaking my shoulder. I sat up with a start and swung my fist. I felt it connect with something and heard a loud yelp. Then I blinked as Marco fell back with his hand over his nose. "Owww, by node!" He squinted away from me, taking his hand from his face. "That's why you wanted me to wake her up." He was glaring at Jake, who shrugged innocently.

"What happened? What's going on?" I straightened up, confused to find that we were on the beach a short distance from the resort. My skin was clear. The cuts were gone, and even though I was exhausted, I felt pretty good all things considered. A loud roar made me look to see a helicopter soaring over the resort itself, running a spotlight over the hole the Veleek had created.

Tobias, who had been sitting on a log, flapped over to land next to my knee. He turned his raptor gaze up, seeming to stare through me. <Rachel, are you all right?> None of the others reacted, so I could tell that he had spoken only to me. In response, I put a hand on the back of his head softly.

Jake answered my question. "We're pretty sure the summit is cancelled. If half the building being torn in half wasn't enough, Marco, Tobias, and Melissa had a little too much fun with the security.

Melissa humphed. "It's not our fault they tried to taser a hippopotamus."

Folding his arms, Jake gave them his best exasperated look. "So whose fault is it that there was a hippo in the first place? You guys realize when I said keep them away, I meant like, pull a fire alarm or turn into dogs and bark at them?"

"Next time make the panicky leader instructions more specific." Marco replied coolly "Say, 'Go distract the menacing policemen with anything except a hippo'. And besides, I mean if you didn't want a hippo, you shouldn't have let her get a hippo morph. You were asking for hippos."

Jake raised an eyebrow. "Are you done saying hippo?"

"That depends, do you have a funnier word for me to say?" Marco asked with a straight face.

Losing the resulting staring match, Jake coughed and looked back to me. "We got out of there. Your new friend carried David." His gaze moved off to the side, and I saw the blank android body that was David standing next to Belle. They were faced away from us. Jake added quietly. "We think they're talking about what's going to happen to him. She did something to his programming and he's sort of frozen for now."

"He wants to know what's going to happen to him?" I was on my feet then, my anger renewed along with my flesh. "I'll tell him exactly what's going to happen. We're going to find the nearest smelting plant and..." I cut myself off as my eyes went wide. "Jordan. Jordan!" Already I was starting to morph. I had to get back to the hospital. I had to find out what happened to my sister. I had to know.

"Rachel, wait." Jake's hand was on my arm, even as the familiar feather patterns formed over the skin. "I want to get there too, but you can't go like this." He gestured, and I realized that I was still in my all but destroyed morphing outfit. If any more of it was missing, I would have had to die of embarrassment.

"I don't care!" I retorted, resuming the morph. "I have to get there."

<You will.> This time it was Tobias who spoke. <The Chee girl said she has a car. She's going to drive you and Jake to the hospital. Meanwhile, the rest of us will fly ahead and find some clothes for you.>

I guess the fact that Marco didn't make a joke about my trusting Tobias and him to find clothes for me proved the situation was pretty bad. It also made me, irrationally, want to slap him for not doing it. I looked away and then stepped to Belle. "We're leaving. Now." I kept my gaze rigidly on her. I couldn't even look at David. I couldn't think about him, or I'd lose it and start choking an android.

She simply nodded. "Of course. David is evaluating his current circumstances in a sealed environment. I shut down his motor and speech capabilities. We'll put him in the trunk and go to the hospital."

The others stayed behind to morph while Jake, Belle, and I made our way to the car parked at the edge of the beach. She carried David, who was as rigid as a mannequin. I couldn't help smiling a little as he was shut away in the trunk like a forgotten boot.

It took a few minutes to get to the hospital, and I sat rigid the entire time. Jake tried once or twice to talk to me about what had happened, but I couldn't get myself to respond. All I could do was grip the seat and wait. I wanted to scream for her to go faster at the same time as I wanted to tell her to turn away and drive somewhere else, anywhere that I wouldn't have to hear bad news. As long as I didn't know for sure, Jordan could still be okay.

Eventually we parked and waited an agonizing couple of minutes before Marco and Melissa found us. They had a couple pairs of stupid beach shorts and flip flops as well as tee shirts from a dinosaur museum down the street. I didn't care. After hurriedly tossing on the clothes, the four of us went inside, leaving Belle in the parking garage to wait. I almost walked right past the tall pretty boy and the scraggly haired blonde guy by the doors before realizing it was Ax and Tobias, both in their human morphs. Ax had gained his human form by combining parts of Jake, Marco, Cassie, and me. The effect was a very pretty guy.

Halfway down the hall, I felt fingers grasp mine and looked to see Melissa smile slightly at me. She had shown more life since we told her the truth than she had in the last year or so. She finally had a way of fighting back. She knew what was wrong with her parents, and even if she couldn't actively help them, she was doing something towards that. I returned her silent hand squeeze before letting go as we reached the waiting room.

Jake and I continued on while the others peeled off to wait. They would wait here as long as it took, even if some of them had to visit the bathroom every couple hours. At the last second, I felt Tobias touch my back. I turned, but he didn't say anything. He just gave me a probing look that could have been his way of telling me silently that he'd be there regardless of what happened, or it could have been his normal way of looking at people since he's been a hawk for so long he forgot how to make facial expressions. I chose to believe it was the former.

I wish I could say that there was a miraculous movie ending. I want so badly to say that we found mom and dad and Jordan and Sara bouncing on the bed like idiot hobbits over the last minute recovery. I want to, but I can't. As Jake and I neared that room, his mother stepped out and froze upon seeing us. My father was right behind him, and one look at his face told me what I needed to know.

The next few minutes were a blur. I spun away, intending to run, but Jake caught me. I fought him, beat against his chest and screamed for him to let me go, but he held tight. Then I felt arms pull me back and my dad had me. He was on his knees, holding me tight against his chest. Even now, I don't know how he had the strength to put his arms around me, but he managed it. He held me and together we almost fell to the floor. I felt tears on my cheek and realized they were my own, and his as well, as he laid his head against mine.

I wanted to be angry. I wanted to lose myself in fury, because then I wouldn't have to feel empty. I hate feeling weak, and sadness, to me, has always felt like weakness. All I wanted to do was get angry and attack David, but right then, there was no anger in me. There was nothing in me. My sister was gone, and nothing would ever bring her back.

"Except, what if something could?"

The words were spoken aloud, but it took me a few moments to realize I hadn't just thought them. My dad's grip had gone lax and I hitched my breath a few times before drawing my hand back over my eyes as I slowly pulled back in confusion. Jake was frozen in mid motion of moving both hands back through his hair as his mother's hand touched his shoulder. It took me a minute to find my voice, which cracked partway through. "C-Cassie...?"

A creature stepped into view, a creature that I'd never seen before yet instinctively hated. It as tall, vaguely dinosaur shaped, with purple skin and a human face. It was disgusting, and vile in a way far beyond simple appearance. It reeked of evil. "Don't insult me. It's your old friend, the Drode."

"What--" I couldn't make myself speak anymore. I didn't even care. Covering my mouth with my hand as I retched, almost throwing up from the thought of Jordan, I shook my head, managing a weak protest. "Go away."

"Ah. But you don't want me to do that." The Drode thing smiled, and continued while I folded my arms around myself and shuddered. "Because then you don't get to hear the deal."

I didn't respond. My head was down as I cried. I didn't care what the thing wanted. I didn't care who he worked for. I didn't care about anything just then. Somehow I managed to mumble something that made the creature continue. "Of course, if you're not interested in the life of your sister."

That made me look up, catching my breath. My voice cracked once more. "Wh-What? What did you say?"

The Drode raised its arms graciously. "You have done my Master Crayak a great service. You allowed him to test his new servant. He was found lacking of course, but still, a test is a test. For that, he offers you a reward."

I spoke hesitantly, raising a hand to my mouth in disbelief. "He... you... you want to bring Jordan back."

"Oh hell no." The Drode responded flatly. "I don't want to. But we pay our debts." There was a hint of mockery of in voice that grew more pronounced as he went on. "Here's the thing..." He trailed off, and when he caught my gaze, he continued. "You've got a sister that needs help, and a bestest best friend." My breath caught as I realized what he was saying, and my stricken look made him smile openly. "Cassie or Jordan, Rachel. Which one do you want to make the deal with the devil to save?"

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2009, 04:43:05 PM »
LAST CHAPTER GUYS. This is the FINAL chapter of this book, this trilogy. After this I'll make a new topic for the next book, with Tobias. But this finishes the David storyline.

Chapter Eight

There were no words for the feeling that came over me then. It wasn't anger. It wasn't grief. It wasn't even horror. I felt all those things, but there was something else, a nameless emotion that was so much more than any of them. My voice shook as I said. "You can't tell me to choose between my sister and my best friend."

The Drode heaved a sigh like he was disappointed before speaking in a bored tone. "Really? Let's see." He slowly enunciated each word. "You will choose between your sister and your best friend." In mock surprise, he lifted his arms. "Well what do you know, I actually can say it. You humans are so silly."

I was on my feet without realizing how I'd gotten there. Anger propelled me. It was familiar, almost comforting. Not like this alien sickness, this grief that had coiled up inside my stomach and rooted like a creature that fed on guilt and anguish. "You piece of--you...." Words spun through my head, but nothing fit. I was so through being used by these people. "You could bring them both back! Bring them back! What do you gain from this? What do you get?!" I shouted the last, flailing my arms up in emphasis. "What do you get out of this?!"

"You mean besides seeing you agonize over it?" The Drode retorted with a sly smile. "Oh but it's much more than that. Much more." He raised one hand with a finger extended, then the other hand the same way, as though weighing them. "Do you put the life of your sister, dear innocent Jordan, taken before her time, first. Or.." He raised the other hand higher. "Do you give the Animorphs back their heart, the Ma-Ti to your Linka? Which is more important, family or saving the world? Would you hurt the earth's chances by losing one of your tragically small band? Would you condemn your own flesh and blood to death? Would you let your best friend rot? Would you look at your grieving mother every day and know that you could have saved her little girl?"

"Shut up, just shut up!" I shouted at him, raising my hands to cover my ears. I couldn't hear anymore. He was right. No matter what I chose I would be betraying someone. My sister was dead. My best friend was gone. I could save one of them, but only one. How could I decide something like that? I couldn't just say who lived and who died.

Save Jordan, or save Cassie? It was an impossible question. I felt sick, like I was going to break down completely. I clutched the wall with one hand and opened my mouth to plead with the creature not to make me choose. If he'd bring them both back, I'd give my life for the second one. I'd do anything, even, as evil as the being was, beg him. To save the life of Jordan and Cassie, I would forget my pride, and beg this creature to do what he could do with a flick a finger.

Then, I heard a voice. It spoke only four words, but with those four words, I knew what choice I had to make. The voice said. "Free or dead, Rachel."

Free or dead. The phrase that not so long ago, had defined the choice we'd made to help save the only pair of free hork-bajir in the entire galaxy. When we weren't sure if we should reveal our true identities to them, for fear that they could be reinfested and our secret would be lost, they had responded with those words. Both of them would have died before they allowed themselves to be taken by the yeerks once again. They would be free or they would die, but they would not be slaves.

With those words in my head, I closed my eyes. Unlike what many movies would have you believe, coming to a decision did not ease my guilt. It didn't make me feel any better. Actually, I felt worse. But unlike any other decision I could have made, I knew this was the right one, if there was such a thing as right in this situation. But it was still the hardest thing I have ever done.

Raising my head, blinking through bleary eyes at the creature who stared back at me impatiently, I answered. "Neither."

The only hint of satisfaction I felt was the look of confusion on the Drode's face, and even that was a hollow, painful feeling. He opened his mouth and shut it again, like he couldn't think of what to say before speaking. "Wait, what? What did you say?"

Taking my hand off the wall, I stepped toward him. My legs were shaking so badly I was about to fall down. My hands shook as well, and my voice broke when I tried to speak. "I s-said, neither." My anger at what they were trying to do to me, to us, gave me a little strength and I raised a hand to point to the Drode. "I choose neither. You... you aren't going to get your filthy claws into Cassie or Jordan. If I let you..." I almost lost it then, tears swimming up before I forced them down and caught my breath. "If I let you bring one of them back, we'll owe you. They'll owe you. If they owe you, then you own them. You own us. Free or..." I couldn't speak for several moments, and this time the tears came fully. "Free or dead."

I clenched my pointing hand back into a fist. "I love my sister. I love Cassie. I.. won't let my grief let you buy either of them. I won't sell our souls so you can have something over us. I love them. I miss them. I--" My voice caught again, but I forced myself to go on past the lump in my throat. "I won't betray them just so I don't have to feel bad." My jaw was so tight it hurt, and my voice shook uncontrollably as the tears fell, blinding me. "Now get out of here, you son of a ****."

The next thing I knew, the Drode was gone and my dad and Jake were holding onto me once more. I raised my head to look around. My eyes found her. Cassie, the older Cassie, was standing at the end of the hall. Moments earlier, she had said the words that let me decide what to do. Once again, she'd known exactly what to say. She smiled and raised a hand. I heard her voice even though her mouth didn't move. "I love you, Rachel. You did the right thing. Be careful. I'll see you again, but it's going to be dangerous." My tears blinded me briefly then, and when I blinked them away, she was gone. I choked a little before clutching my dad tighter and turning back to him. For my sister, and for my best friend, I grieved.

---------------------------------------------------

Two weeks after all of this happened, life went on. Obviously they had cancelled the summit completely. The yeerks were out of luck. The six of us were walking along the beach. Jake and Marco were talking about some assignment Marco was ignoring, as usual. Melissa was hanging a little back, near the water. I was walking ahead of the others, thinking about life. Ax was in his human morph, and Tobias flew overhead, complaining about the mobs of seagulls.

<I'm telling you, people think telemarketers are annoying? Try dealing with these flying rats getting in your face. Hey! Yeah, I'm talking about you, birdy.> He was flying low enough that we could talk to him, hopefully without attracting any attention from wandering bird watchers. But this put him down near where the gulls flocked.

Ax frowned, an expression he's picked up from us. "I do not believe that these birds-urds-suh have any relation-lation-ation-tiontiontion--"

He was interrupted by Marco, who slapped him on the back like he was a skipping record player. "It's a figure of speech, dude. He knows they're not really rats."

Overhead, Tobias disagreed. <They're vermin, they get into everything, they don't serve any sort of purpose. They sound like rats to me.> As a hawk, Tobias can be a bit of an elitist when it comes to other birds. Sometimes it makes me feel bad, that he's this at home with his new life. He has the power to become human again, and to stay that way. But if he did, he'd be out of the fight. He couldn't help us, and he wants to help. This is as much his fight as anyone else's. He's earned that much.

We haven't seen Cassie since that last day. I never told the others about the choice I made. Half of me didn't want to burden them with that knowledge, and the other half was afraid of what they'd think of me. I had doomed Cassie with my choice, and even if it still seemed right to me, it didn't make me feel any better.

Her parents thought she was missing. They had her picture up everywhere, and search teams kept combing the woods. It nearly killed Jake and me to actually help them look, like they had a chance of finding her. But we couldn't let on that we knew otherwise. We had to go through the motions. But it was almost over. The search wasn't going to turn up everything, and then we would grieve openly as we had been doing privately for all this time. I could see the haunted look in Jake's eyes whenever Cassie's parents said something hopeful, and I knew it was reflected in my own.

The only thing that made it at all bearable was the absolute certainty that I would see her again. She was with the Ellimist now, doing whatever he had her doing. But she was still my best friend, and I knew without a doubt that our paths would cross.

"How's ummm... David?" Melissa asked while flicking the sand from a shell she'd picked up. She worked at a dirty spot with her finger, then held it up to her ear to hear the ocean. Which was rather silly since she was standing right next to the ocean, but that was Melissa.

Jake visibly bristled a little, but he answered her. "The Chee have him in their underground park. They reprogrammed him so he can't leave that area. They say he's furious." A tight, small smile came to his face. "Good."

My watch beeped, and I looked down. "I've gotta go, guys."

Melissa dropped the shell she was holding and brushed her hands off. "It's time?"

I nodded "Three O'clock." Smiling weakly, I started walking away. "I'll see you guys later." I left the others there while Tobias flew over me. He followed me to the bus station, then winged away once the bus started off. He'd meet me there.

Twenty minutes later, the bus deposited me where I needed to go. I checked my watch again and then crossed the sidewalk and cut across the grass. I was already late. Jogging around the corner, I looked around. Please tell me I hadn't missed them. I couldn't miss this. Out of everything that had happened, this was something I absolutely had to be here for. 

Overhead, Tobias came in to land on the roof. <Other doors, at that end. They're coming out.>

I flashed him a grateful smile and then ran that way. I made it to the doors just as they exited. My mother and father were, not quite together, but at least not arguing. Between them, Sara scribbled something in a notebook that she'd taken for her diary and couldn't ever be seperated from.

And ahead of them, Jordan, yes, Jordan, walked with the help of a pair of crutches.

I have no idea how it happened. I don't know if the Ellimist stepped in, or if some even higher power was responsible. Jordan was legally dead for seven minutes, declared just as I arrived. But she woke up. The doctors can't explain it. No one can. But she's alive, and somehow, I don't think that needs explanation. She was being released from the hospital today.

As I came to a stop and hugged her tightly, making her complain about nearly making her fall, I thought about Cassie. I lost her, but like Jordan, she survived. Maybe she wasn't here right now, but she was still out there, and she would always be my friend. I'd help her, no matter what. And she would help us. The Ellemist had gained an ally, but Cassie was, and always will be, an Animorph.

And now, whenever Marco or someone asks why we're fighting this war when we are so pathetically outnumbered, why we fight no matter how many times we lose and how hopeless it seems, I have an answer. I look to Jordan, my sister, who was dead for seven minutes and condemned to her fate by what should have been the only power that could have saved her. But she was here, alive.

So, when anyone asks why we fight a hopeless battle. I tell them there's no such thing.

Miracles do happen.

END

Next: The Pretender

My name is Tobias...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 05:02:03 PM by Cerulean »

Offline dolphin4077

« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2009, 11:09:44 PM »
Wow, I've read fanfiction I've really liked, but this is the first one that made me cry.  You've done an awesome job with plot, character, etc.  I love how snarky you made the Drode; he shows more personality in your fic than in the books.  Anyways, can't wait for the next one, especially if it will deal with the "elfangor is my father" issue.  I feel just as excited for your take on it as I did when the original came out. 

Offline OrcaMorph

• Transient Resident
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2009, 09:07:59 PM »
Agreed, I almost teared up as well.
Freaking amazing job.

Also, I really liked the Captain Planet reference.
<OrcaMorph>

Read my blog on RAF: Transient Resident

Coming Soon

Offline acdc00420

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2009, 04:23:34 AM »
awsome really freaking awsome i cant wait for the next book best fanfic ive read of any book period

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
Thanks. :) The next book is already through four chapters, located here: http://animorphsforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,2189.0.html

warren_bearclaw

« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2010, 12:03:49 AM »
Okay. I've read all the way through chapter 3 of The Solution, and I have to say that this is plain awesome. If it wasn't from '09, I'd vote for it for 'Best Fanfiction'. I've never read a fanfic I liked, but this.... whoa. There's so much awesome in here!!! Jake and the shovel, Rachel vs. David, Sara comforting Rachel (I nearly cried, dead serious....), and Cassie's situation... wow. That's the best way to put it; wow. I don't know how often you're on here, Kitulean, but I'm impressed. I know you've been getting that a lot, but it's true. This is something to be proud of, IMHO. I can't wait to move on to the other Redux books.