Author Topic: Enter RAF  (Read 29635 times)

redtailedsaffa

Re: Enter RAF
« Reply #180 on: July 04, 2013, 09:42:12 PM »
YAY! New chapters! (And I'm in one of them! :D ) I've said it before but I'll say it again, I'm so glad you're back to working on this, because I love this book :) :) Especially your battle scenes, you really feel like you're in there, yanno?

And you've given me something to do over the blank weekend (other than watching The Dark Knight Rises) - I've already made PDFs of every completed Memoirs book so far (for my reading convenience, but maybe I'll also present it to Cloaky as a birthday present ;) ), so I might as well start on this one too. :)

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
  • "I'm honestly a huge dork."
    • My Book
« Reply #181 on: July 05, 2013, 12:08:03 AM »
Ooh! Another RAFfic for me to become addicted to. I will have to read all 13(?) pages of it now. :)
My Tumblr
Saffa is my shorm and RAFtwin. :D Lumy is my awesomeful RAFbrother. ;D
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer 2013
Best RAFian Supervillan/Minion Duo 2013 (Saffa/Abby :D Morph Twins)
RAFian Artist of the Year 2016

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #182 on: July 05, 2013, 12:26:28 AM »
I might PDF-ify how much is done, if you like. I have the whole afternoon and evening to do it :)

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #183 on: July 05, 2013, 12:47:43 AM »
Dude, yeah, PDFs would be pretty awesome, Saffa.  They'd be mostly for other people's benefit, since I've got it all saved as word documents (I've always thought Cloaky was crazy for never saving his work on Memoirs, I always feel bad when he loses a chapter).  But still, I'm sure there'd be people who'd appreciate being able to download them!

. . . You've already done all the Memoirs books, too?  Daaaaaang.

It's always good to see a new reader, Abby!  :)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #184 on: July 05, 2013, 01:52:03 AM »
Yeah, I accomplished that feat in the limbo period between school and college, when all the exams were done and there was nothing to do... As such college is starting proper only on 11th, so till then I'm free to waste my time however I want.

Cloaky did mention that his computer doesn't have a sensible word processor, so he can't save his chapters. I don't think it's his computer, exactly. (This was a while back - I don't know what he uses now.)

:edit: DONE!!! :clap: Everybody come and collect your copy here! Of course, don't forget to give Dino her well-deserved feedback; heck, save this and read it first up fresh off RAF! :) ... Okay, I'm rambling. Good fic. It happens. :P

For those who've read First Flight, there's a PDF prepared - I just need to make a few edits and then I'll post it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 06:15:35 AM by Saffa »

Offline Underseen

• One of RAFs resident ShapeShifters
  • Xtreme Member
  • Feisty Generation Fifteen
« Reply #185 on: July 05, 2013, 03:54:02 PM »
The Champion is pretty creepy when you imagine its face
RAF awards 2012: Best Newcomer... It feels good too

Well, Blue is my RAFcousin.
 Blaze is my RAFbrother and formidable rival.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #186 on: July 06, 2013, 10:00:56 PM »
Not compared to Pootang, but yeah, that's probably still somewhat true, Underseen.

Chapter Fifty-four

The five battling RAFians paused in their efforts against Pootang, as they saw a new figure slowly emerging over the horizon.  Pootang, saw the figure, too.  He seemed to deflate slightly for a moment, some of his fury burning itself out, as he witnessed something that struck fear deep within his animal heart.  After that momentary pause, though, he seemed to swallow the fear, and angrily roared a challenge to the new intruder.

"They did it!" Phoenix shouted triumphantly, pumping a fist into the air, as he realized what the giant figure must be.  The Champion!  The one thing who could destroy Pootang.  RAF's last hope.

That last thought quelled Phoenix's enthusiasm somewhat, as he realized that this battle, win or lose, would determine the ultimate fate of RAF itself.

The RAFians used the distraction provided by the Champion to move quickly out of Pootang's range.  There, on the sidelines, some of the other RAFians who had stayed out of the battle to write the Champion, had already gathered.  Phoenix gave a sigh of relief when he spotted Seal bounding along towards the back of the crowd.

Blue, meanwhile, tilted his head incredulously at someone else in the group.  Was that Underseen, with a box of popcorn?  Blue shook his head and laughed, deciding that he wasn't really surprised.  He quickly flew over and said hello, hoping Underseen would share.

As the Champion and Pootang closed the distance between one another, a few RAFians thought they could hear a steady rhythmic background beat, like an electric guitar.  It was quiet, hardly there if you weren't paying attention to it, but, yes, now the first beat was joined by a second electric guitar, playing staccato chords over the first.

Bear laughed out loud as he realized what was going on.  "Is that Eye of the Tiger?" he said wonderingly.  "Richard, are you seriously playing Eye of the Tiger on your computer right now?"

Richard gave Bear a brief, coy smile, but didn't give any answer beyond that, all of his focus now on the Champion and the looming battle.

With a resounding roar, the two titans clashed.  Though the two combatants towered over the RAFians, something about the way they attacked one another didn't feel huge.  Huge things, creatures or objects or machines, were supposed to be ponderous and slow.  But these two beings, they moved the way something a hundredth their size should move.  Within a flash, a fraction of an instant, they were upon each other.

Pootang struck first, eagerly and frantically clawing and biting into the first prey that wasn't running away from him.  His anger, finally having a definite target, was breathtaking in its raw fury.  But where he bit and clawed, the Champion seemed to reflect the green color of Parker's armor, and he simply shrugged off the hits.

Then, in an action that was delayed but not slow, the Champion struck.  He punched Pootang, Chuck Norris's fist and Super Rachel's claws and the knight-like entity's blade seeming to merge into one, bludgeoning and slicing and stabbing all at once.  A spray of crimson and yellow-green erupted from the wound, like a mist, as Pootang screamed in pain and white-hot rage.  The wound was already sealing itself, almost as soon as it had formed.

The Champion had tried to back off, to try to shield himself, but Pootang's acid blood had left the Champion damaged, too.  Tiny holes had been eaten through the armor, which leaked blood.  But the armor soon began to repair itself, like a living thing.

Realizing the true strength of his foe, Pootang's mouth began to glow red, as the monster charged his most formidable weapon.  After a moment's hesitation, the Champion delivered a second punch, this one to Pootang's mouth.  The laser started to disperse, but not before Pootang bit down on the Champion's hand, burning quickly through the Spartan armor with the intensity of the laser concentrated within that enclosed space.  When the Champion withdrew, he no longer had a right hand at all.

The Champion raised his other hand, and from it issued a greenish glow.  The Champion's own laser, though weaker than Pootang's, didn't need to charge.  The smell of burning fur and flesh permeated the forum, the sizzling scar encircling Pootang's shoulder.

Promisingly, the health bar above Pootang's head was no longer all green.  It showed a blurred divide rather than a clear line between green and red, as though each of Pootang's forms now held onto a different level of health.  But the average seemed to be hovering at about three-quarters now.  The green was already rising again, as the burns seemed to shrink, leaving behind healthy fur where they receded.

The Champion couldn't afford to wait for Pootang to recover.  He spun, throwing all his weight into a powerful roundhouse kick, which seemed to create a shock-wave like an earthquake that knocked Pootang off-balance.  The beast roared in fury.  But, if you were looking carefully, which several RAFians were, you could see that one of his less-threatening forms had just blinked out of existence.

It was working!  The RAFians who had seen it, high-fived one another as they whooped with joy.  The creature, although powerful, was not unkillable.

All of the battle thus far had happened within the space of a few short seconds.  Richard couldn't even afford the time to wipe the sweat from his forehead.  He just kept typing, as droplets of perspiration dripped onto the keyboard.

He was reading and writing as fast as he knew how.  He had about five or six windows open, spaced out across the screen, so he could see Pootang's reactions as well as the RAFians' thoughts.  Punching the mouth, that had been Parker's idea, which Richard had quickly relayed to the Champion.  He had decided that typing was faster than copying and pasting if he could type fast enough.  The roundhouse kick, that was Bear.

Richard barely heard the individual strokes of keys as he tapped away at the keyboard, his movements blurring together into almost a continuous hum.  It was all he could do to keep up, when every stroke of his keyboard was effortlessly matched by Pootang.  It was an unmatched fight, in that sense.  Pootang had only to act out the same actions that Richard had to describe.

But Pootang was designed without a purpose.  No purpose except raw unbridled chaos and fear.  The Champion's purpose, on the other hand, had been carefully honed by every thought that went into him.  That was the edge.

Pootang swiped its razor-sharp claws at the Champion, who responded by striking with his Andalite blade.  But the Champion wasn't fast enough, and Pootang had already struck, the claws screeching across the metal like nails on a chalkboard, but leaving little more than superficial damage.  Pootang's momentum brought him out of the way of the blade, and the Champion missed.

Pootang took the opportunity to bite the Champion's right shoulder from behind.  His teeth found purchase within a tiny chink in the armor.  Although his fangs still didn't quite penetrate, he was able to grip, and didn't let go.  He ground his teeth against the armor, sawing back and forth like he was trying to gnaw through the shield, as the Champion helplessly fought against his bulldog grip.

There was a reddish glow as Pootang charged his laser, at point-blank range.  There was nothing the Champion could do to stop him.  He tried to reach behind himself, but Pootang was much too quick for that.

The explosion threw both of them backward, and the Champion's arm went flying, detached from the shoulder.  Pootang had also taken damage, the laser having reflected back at him and burned away the left half of his face, burns so bad you could see white bone through the charred-black skin.

One of the Champion's forms, the iron-forged robotic creature, flickered and went out.  But another of Pootang's forms had done the same.

At some point Richard had stopped seeing words on a screen, and began to see action and reaction as actual images in his mind.  Almost as though he was actually seeing the battle itself.  He knew that was impossible, but that was what it felt like.  Like the tenuous connection he held with his forum was strengthening, allowing him to transcend the mere written words.  Words that were windows into a whole new reality.

But would it be enough?  Was it enough to see a world with his mind, that he would never be able to see with his eyes?

Pootang, furious, as though the damage done by his own laser had somehow been the Champion's fault, suddenly ran at his opponent, like a charging rhinoceros.  There was no time to dodge out of the way.

With an impact that sent tremors through nearby buildings, the two titans collided.  The Champion was sent sprawling by the sheer reckless force of the collision.  He found himself on his back, looking up at a bright red light that seemed to fill his entire field of vision.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #187 on: July 06, 2013, 10:23:46 PM »
This is really gripping stuff.

Offline Underseen

• One of RAFs resident ShapeShifters
  • Xtreme Member
  • Feisty Generation Fifteen
« Reply #188 on: July 06, 2013, 11:13:30 PM »
Feels like Pacific Rim Evangelion.
RAF awards 2012: Best Newcomer... It feels good too

Well, Blue is my RAFcousin.
 Blaze is my RAFbrother and formidable rival.

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #189 on: July 07, 2013, 08:00:45 AM »
I caught up last night.

I agree with Twinny. It really is gripping.
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #190 on: July 08, 2013, 11:21:58 PM »
Thanks guys!  :D

Since I've never seen Pacific Rim nor Evangelion, I don't really know if that's a compliment, or not, Underseen?  Lol, I should probably take it as one, anyway.  :XD:

Anyway, new chapter.

Chapter Fifty-five

The Champion rolled out of the way mere milliseconds before he would have been obliterated.  But the laser still caught him in the back, generating a sharp metallic sizzle as it nearly melted through his armor.  Another form blinked out.  Tobias's birdlike creature was gone.

The Champion tried to get up, but Pootang stomped a foot on his remaining arm, pinning him down.  The Andalite form was slowly shifting, and the Champion's missing arm was slowly growing back as he morphed.  But not quickly enough, not enough to get his right-hand laser back.

Once again, Pootang's own laser began to charge.

<Put some TAIL into 'im!> Russell cried out, his post instantaneously appearing on Richard's screen.  Richard's fingers flew, and the Champion swung his still-demorphing Andalite tail.  It wasn't enough to seriously injure Pootang, but it was enough to disrupt his focus, dispersing the laser and giving the Champion time to throw Pootang off of himself so he could get back to his feet.

The Champion raised both hands, now that his right arm had almost completely healed, and fired his twin lasers.  But Pootang wasn't going to fall for that trick this time, and had already dodged out of the way, darting behind the Champion, as soon as he'd seen him aiming his hands.

The Champion tried to turn around, but once again, his speed was a disadvantage, and he was not fast enough to reach Pootang as the monster continued to duck behind him.  Instead, he raised his fist into the air and slammed it down, causing a seismic shockwave to ripple through the earth.

Pootang was thrown backward from the force of the blast, another of his forms flickering and disappearing.  But, he got up, and ran at the Champion once more.  The force of the enraged impact destroyed one of the Champion's forms, the red and black saurian creature, and with that, his power to create earthquakes was gone.

But the impact also momentarily dazed Pootang, and the Champion took the opportunity to strike with a powerful backhand, the knight's shield flashing corporeal for a moment as Pootang took the brunt of its impact to the side of his head.  The resounding clang of metal against bone rang through the forum.

Pootang hissed angrily, but wobbled, dizzy from the blow.  Nevertheless he began once more to charge his laser, to which the Champion responded with a sweep of the leg, hoping to topple the already wobbly Pootang.  Pootang danced out of the way, if only just, long enough to finish charging.  But his shot went wild, his vision still swimming, making it impossible to aim.

RAFians scattered in the wake of the laser as it sliced towards the watching crowd, interrupted in the midst of taking bets on the next Champion form to vanish.

The Champion took a defensive stance, hoping to present a smaller target to Pootang's laser.  But Pootang had recovered from his earlier disorientation, and bore down on the Champion with renewed fury.  He struck claws-first, using all the inertia his speed could afford him to drive the points into any weaknesses in the Champion's armor.

But Richard was getting wise to Pootang's running-charge tactic by now.  The Champion ducked underneath the onrushing Pootang, and the monster tripped, his own momentum flinging him bodily into the Media Board.

Pootang was slower to get up this time.  He had lost two forms in the impact, and his health bar was down by an average of nearly half.  The Champion had lost a form too, from the force of Pootang slamming into him from above.  And the chinks in his Spartan armor had begun to widen.

Pootang looked almost hungrily at the cracked armor, drawn in by the promise of weakness, like a shark to blood.  He stumbled wearily to his feet and ran at the Champion again, another reckless charge.  The Champion strengthened his stance and readied his fists and his claws, prepared to let Pootang smash himself against his weapons.

But, at the last moment, Pootang feinted to the left.  In a fraction of a second, he had blazed around the Champion to attack from the side.

Richard was not the only one who was learning from this battle.

The Champion was caught completely off guard as Pootang ripped into his side.  All that saved him was the armor-like force field of his more humanoid Andalite form, but the impact still threw him off-balance, and he landed heavily on his side.

He rolled, and just barely missed being gored by Pootang's scythe-clawed rabbit-like feet.  Once he was behind Pootang, he sprang back into a standing position.

He no longer had the hand-laser.  That had been a part of his most recent form to be lost.  So he now channeled Estelore's fire instead, a column of superheated plasma that seemed to instantly raise the temperature of the entire forum.  The RAFians looking on from the crowd subconsciously took a step back from the heat.

Pootang screamed in pain and renewed fury.  He remembered Estelore's fire.  The familiar white-hot burn of it against his skin.  He hissed with anger at the Champion's insolence, daring to remind him of the insect that had hurt him.

Pootang ducked out of the way before he could lose another aspect of himself.  But then he seemed to notice the smaller RAFians, as though for the first time.  He smiled a savage, twisted grin.  He was tired of fighting an opponent that was as invulnerable as he was.  He wanted something he could hurt.  He wanted revenge for every injury he had suffered.

His mouth began to glow red, but he was no longer aiming at the Champion.  The RAFians screamed, and scrambled to get out of the way.

But the Champion was not about to let that happen.  He wrapped an arm around Pootang's neck from behind, forcing his attention back to his fight.  The laser fired upward, as Pootang's head was bent back by the Champion's headlock, harmlessly discharging away into the sky.

"Your fight is with me," Richard typed, his voice booming through the forum from the Champion's mouth.  The Champion strained, bringing all his formidable strength to bear, lifting Pootang into the air by his neck.  But before Pootang could strike back, he threw the monster to the ground with a resounding crash.

Another few forms flickered out.  Pootang roared, furious that he had been deprived of his rightful prey.  His eyes glowed, actually glowed, a brilliant and vivid red, as he bit and clawed and screamed and raged at the Champion.

The Champion recoiled, raising his arms defensively to shield himself from the sudden ferocious onslaught.  Pootang gave him no opening, no way to strike back.  And the enraged beast wasn't letting up.

The Champion's visage almost immediately lost K.A. Applegate's gentle features.  Blaze's wings vanished soon after.  And then, the stony creature made of gravel was gone.

Richard couldn't let this go on.  Within seconds the battle would be lost.  He wracked his brain for something, anything, that would let him take back the advantage.

Suddenly, the Champion raised his arms in a dramatic gesture.  The stone under Pootang began to rise, lifted by Cloak's power of earth.  But Pootang used the opportunity to drop down onto the Champion from above, continuing his frantic attack unabated.

The Champion was ready for that.  He rolled to the side, leapt back to his feet, and the rock, still suspended in the air, suddenly lurched sideways, bashing with a sickening crunch into Pootang's skull.

The monster fell.  Two or three more forms vanished.  But, though weak, the monster was still driven onward by an undying fury.  That adrenaline, born of rage, propelled him back to his feet.

Some of the RAFians had begun to notice something strange, as Pootang weakened.  As the forms were being peeled away one by one, the tiny infant, the child that was the original baby of Anna and Ken, was slowly becoming more and more visible.

The RAFians weren't quite sure if that was a hopeful development, or a terrible one.  What would they do, if the baby was killed?

What would they do, if it wasn't?

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #191 on: July 08, 2013, 11:27:38 PM »
Listening to "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons as I read this. Awesomeness all around. :D

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #192 on: July 08, 2013, 11:39:46 PM »
Oooh, good song!  I looked it up after you posted it, and it turns out it was one I'd been looking for, after hearing it somewhere.  But I just couldn't find it because I didn't know it was saying "radioactive," I thought it was "ready to rock you."

So, thanks!

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #193 on: July 09, 2013, 12:59:47 AM »
Ooh!! Awesome chapter. Honestly, I think that action scenes are the hardest.
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #194 on: July 10, 2013, 10:51:30 PM »
No kidding, Abby.  Pretty sure this is the longest action scene I've ever written, too.

And I've been listening to Radioactive pretty much non-stop since I read your post, Saffa, lol.  I think it gave me an idea I might use in the next book, too . . .

Chapter Fifty-six

The song Richard had opened in his music player had ended by now, even though the battle had not.  The quiet around him now seemed almost eerie, although the constant hum of the computer keys helped to fill the silence.  But, of course, Richard no longer had the luxury of free time, to click open a new song.

The whirring clack of the keys seemed almost deafening, in that silence.  Yet, somehow, it was a good sound.  A comforting sound.  The heartbeat of RAF beat through Richard's fingertips.

Inside the forum, both combatants were scarred from the fight.  The Champion's armor was too damaged now even to heal, and Pootang had too many injuries for his own healing ability to keep up with.  Both were weak from blood loss.  But neither could stop, neither could let up, even for a fraction of a second.  Or else the other would take advantage of the opening, and the fight could be over in that single instant of weakness.

And both had lost several of the multi-faceted forms that had made them as strong as they once had been.  The question now burning in everyone's mind was, which would be finished first?  Whichever way the battle went, it wouldn't be much longer now.  They were both too weak to go on.

The Champion now brought his Andalite blades and Super Rachel's claws to bear, no longer needing to fear the flesh-eating acid that had once been part of Pootang's blood.  Pootang had lost the form that had given him that strange, alien trait.

But, however weak he was, the ferocious Pootang was still driven onward by his own animalistic rage.  He wanted, with every fiber of his being, to see the Champion defeated.  And he would not stop until either he was dead or the Champion was.

Pootang raced around the Champion, dodging his blades and claws, his quick darting movements allowing him to stay behind the back of his slower foe.  In the space of a blink of the eye, Pootang suddenly grabbed the Champion by the neck, the same move that the Champion had used on Pootang, mere moments before.  Pootang gripped the joints in the Champion's Spartan armor with his stubby arms and sharp claws, clinging tightly enough that the Champion could not move.

With the Champion held helpless, Pootang began to bite, chewing and gnawing on the Spartan armor.  The armor was resilient, but it had already taken a beating.  And Pootang had a great many sets of powerful sharp teeth.  He would get through, and it wouldn't be long before he did.

Worse, the monster was chewing on closest thing he could reach, which happened to be the Champion's neck.  If he got through, he would surely manage to hit an artery.  And after that, it was over.

Both of the Champion's Andalite forms were next to go.  First Ax's more standard Andalite, and then the other one, the Andalite with extra blades and force-field armor.

The Champion reached over his shoulder, pointing both hands at Pootang.  Point-blank, at the beast's face, he summoned Estelore's fire.  The column of flame, so close to the Champion's own face, melted through the visor of his own Spartan helmet.  Pootang howled, and clutched at his face.  There was almost nothing left of his features, only bare bone.

The most formidable of Pootang's forms finally, almost reluctantly, seemed to flicker and die.  The giant pixellated monstrosity that Blue had created, the owner of the red laser, was gone at last.

The Champion could actually feel Pootang's sudden decrease in strength when it happened.  The monster was still powerful, he was still strong, by any measure.  But nothing compared to what he had been.

With that final tip of the scales, the Champion was able to pull Pootang off of himself, dragging the beast by the arms until he came unlatched from his neck.  Still holding on, the Champion swung the creature around, hurling him forcefully into the Bored Board.

Several more forms disappeared.  Pootang's health was almost completely red, now.  The health bar itself seemed to be making an incessant dinging noise, but even that sound was difficult to hear over the other sounds of the battle.

It was obvious that Pootang no longer possessed the ability to heal.  His skeletal face was still the same, his skin no longer growing back where it had been burned away.  His features were a hideous mess, a bony joker's grin frozen on his face, which was slicked with blood.  There seemed to be blood coming from everywhere.

It was a wonder he was still able to stand, although it was obvious that even that small effort was a strain on his weakened body.  He wobbled weakly as he lurched forward.  Still determined, but that determination was mostly born of desperation now.

Richard took a deep breath, feeling almost reluctant to end it.  Up until now, the Champion had been fighting as much in self-defense as anything.  But now, he would be fighting to kill.  And, even for a creature as terrible as Pootang, that thought left an awful taste in Richard's mouth.

The Champion wearily approached the hideous monstrosity.  He raised a hand, and fire flashed from his palm in a blast of bright white light.  It was over in seconds.  Only a few RAFians could actually see Pootang through the glare, but for those who could, Pootang flashed like a slideshow on fast forward, as his remaining forms rapidly disappeared in the fire.

When the glare cleared, the infant could be seen, where Pootang had been.  Somehow, the baby had been the last form to die.  Perhaps it had been protected by its own small size, within a protective cocoon of the larger apparitions.  Like a russian nesting doll, where the smallest doll was the last to be revealed.

Whatever the case may be, it would seem that the monster, the terrifying creature that had caused so much destruction, was gone.

But . . . was it?

The baby saw the Champion, and started to cry.  It seemed to be trying to back away, to recoil from the enormous and terrifying apparition towering above it.  But it was still too small, too undeveloped, to move.

The Champion lowered his hand, dropping it to his side.  No.  Richard would not, could not, kill a child.  Not even a child, who might also contain some remnant of a bloodthirsty monster.

The battle was over.  Richard seemed to slowly come back to his own body.  At least, that's how it felt.  As though he had actually been physically somewhere else.

But, no more.  He was back, in his room, looking at words on a computer screen.