Author Topic: Somewhere between Human and Hawk.  (Read 6581 times)

Offline Chad32

• God
Somewhere between Human and Hawk.
« on: December 02, 2008, 02:55:27 PM »
I'm writing a fanfic about Tobias, as he deals with a female hawk coming to his meadow. He is torn between his love for rachel, and his belief that he is more hawk than Human. Musicman88 will be writing a similar fanfic, and we will compete with each other. Once both stories are done, a poll thread will be started for people to vote on which they like more. This will be a short story, so it's much more likely to be finished than my last fanfic.

Chapter One

Tobias had come home after a day of flying around and such on a day off from missions. As he came in, he noticed Ax.

<Greetings Tobias. I came to speak about random, unimportant things with you.> He said. However, he was looking in another tree from where Tobias had landed.

<Ax-Man, I'm over here.>

<What? Oh! I came and noticed a hawk of the same species as you, and assumed it was indeed you. I apologize. It is rare for another red tailed hawk to be within your territory.>

<That's ok. It's just a girl hawk that I haven't gotten around to chasing off. You wanted to talk?>

<Yes. I believe our friends call it chatting. Like when Prince Jake and Marco engage in conversations about the combat skills of a Human that is part spider, and another that is part bat. Or when Rachel and Cassie talk about clothing styles.>

<Sure, I'll chat with you.> He said, and they talked about things like food and nature. Eventually, talk went back to the female bird.

<If you do not get rid of her, it may be difficult to feed during the dry season. Over the last two of your years, I have noticed you have difficulty during the summer months.>

<Yeah well, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I've been kind of busy with stuff.>

Truth be told, Tobias got the same feeling for this hawk that he did for another he rescued some time ago. She had wound up being shot by Yeerks that thought she was him. He hadn't done anything to encourage her, but he hadn't made efforts to chase her away either.

She stayed in a tree on the other side of the meadow, and had been there for almost a week. He was fine with that, but during the next days she became less cautious around him. It started getting to where she'd fly over to greet him every time he came from missions or hanging out with the others.

One day Ax came over again. <So, is she going to be your pet now?>

<Pet?>

<Yes. Prince Jake has an animal that lives with him called Homer. I was wondering if this hawk is going to be yours. Even though you're actually of the same species.>

<No, she's a wild animal. Wild animals can't be pets. Besides, to hear Rachel talk I've always been Human. Always will.>

<My apologies. I have come to think of you as a hawk, even though I know you were born Human.>

<It's ok.>

The problems didn't really start until Jake called a meeting. The female hawk had gotten a habit of following Tobias around until he flew over territories that weren't his. Normally it wasn't a problem for him, but it intimidated her. During a certain meeting, all the Human members of the group were there before him and Ax. He did his regular procedure of checking around and telling ax when it was clear. Just about the time everything was about to start, Tobias heard flapping.

<Oh no.>

He looked towards the window, and there she came. Landing on the rafters beside him, in full view of everyone else. She looked wildly around at the animals and stuff and she perched very close to him.

<It seems that she followed you here, Tobias.> Ax said as the other just stared in disbelief. After a bit of time, she decided to fly back out.

"De ja vu." Marco said.

"What was that about?" Rachel asked.

<Nothing.> He said quickly. <let's get started Jake.>

"Ax called it a she. Where did she come from?" Rachel asked. Marco had a look of amusement on his face, but the others were more or less bewildered.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
Re: Somewhere between Human and Hawk.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 04:30:53 PM »
Interesting concept.  It kind of threw me off how it's in third person though; it feels like the narrator is really distant, but I guess I'm just used to Animorphs being in first person.  :P

Sounds good so far though!  I'm excited to see how the two fanfics will compare.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 05:16:47 PM »
I'm sorry. I like writing in third person. That's just how I preffer to write.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline musicman88

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 08:50:24 PM »
*comes into topic in order to bash his rival's story*

Nah, I wouldn't do that.  It wouldn't be necessary because my story is going to be 10,000 times better than yours anyway!

But seriously, it's a nice start.  It does seem like things are going a bit fast though.  Drawing a few of the things out would be somewhat better I think then simply mentioning them.
YOU'RE WINNER !

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 08:55:15 PM »
It won't be as rushed after this. I just couldn't think of many interesting things to happen before Rachel actually found out. Even though it's a short story, I'll try not to let it feel rushed.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Nateosaurus

• Superhero
  • God
  • Now madness takes you, forever
    • My youtube :)
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 01:35:27 AM »
It's an interesting idea, I'll definately read both fics, nice start.
Most likely to have a superhero identity 2012
Best superhero duo 2012 (Team Phate)
Most likely to survive the zombie apocalypse 2013

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 10:26:34 PM »
Chapter Two

<Um...the woods. So Jake, what's the mission?>

"No no no. Some random hawk does not fly in through the rafters after you like that." Rachel said.

"Go ahead and confess, Tobais." Marco said. "You're a player, aren't you?"

<Tobias does not play very many games.> Ax said.

"Figure of speech, dude."

<Why can he not just say what he means? It's annoying.> Ax said privately to Tobias. <What does he mean?>

"We really should get on with the mission. t's kind of important." Cassie said. Jake took that opportunity to immediately get with the mission briefing. That halted all arguments until it was time to morph bird, and leave. Tobais made sure it was clear, and gave everyone the go-ahead, but failed to look up beforehand.

<Oh look guys, Tobias' other girlfriend is still here.> Marco said.

Sure enough, the female was circling overhead. Possibly waiting for Tobias to come out. When he did, she flew towards him, but was scared off when all the others came out.

<Okay, look. She moved into my meadow a while ago, and I haven't chased her off yet. I'll do it when I get ready, ok?> Tobias said.

<You should do it as soon as possible.> Rachel said. <There's only one reason for her being there, and you know it.>

That was it until the mission was done. Tobias came home exausted, to find the female in a tree near his. As he came down, he decided to do it. He screamed at her, and charged aggressively. He tried not to let her bewildered and frightened cries make him feel bad as she quickly flew away.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 04:48:33 PM by Nohensen »

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 03:25:27 PM »
Chapter Three

It didn't take very long for her to come back. Early the next morning, she woke Tobias up by landing on his limb. After he woke and realized she was back, he saw she had a dead mouse in her beak. He side stepped towards him, put it down, then backed away.

<I don't want an apology breakfast. I need you to find another hawk. Prefferably one that wasn't born Human.>

Not getting anywhere, she took the mouse and placed it right beside him and stepped back. Tobias decided to take off and find his own food. As expected, she followed him. He tried to chase her off again multiple times that morning, but she refused to go anywhere. Since he always stopped short of actually touching her, she realized he wouldn't hurt her.

<Greetings Tobias.> Ax said later that day. <I see she has returned.>

<She won't go away, and I don't want to actually hurt her. What am I supposed to do?>

<I am not certain. Hopefully if Rachel comes and and sees her, she will not kill her.>

<I doubt that would happen. Cassie would have a cow.>

<Have a cow do what?>

<Figure of speech.>

<Of course.>

<Speaking of Cassie, I have an idea.> He said and left for the barn. He found her there, alone.

<Cassie, do you think you could relocate the female hawk?>

"Hey Tobias. You mean she came back?"

<She's stubborn. I was hoping you could catch her and relocate her far away.>

"I could definitely catch her, but I'd need a cage to carry her. If I take one of Dad's, and he does an inventory check before I return it, I'd have to explain that."

<Couldn't you come up with a lie?>

"The only time I lie is when it has to do with Yeerks. Not when it has to do with my friend having girl problems. Sorry."

<Ok, thanks anyway.> Tobias said, and left it alone.

Days came and went, and Tobias largely ignored the female. One day he came to his meadow to see Ax standing in the field holding up a dead mouse.

<I know that you understand the command. You did it yesterday.> He said to the female.

<Ax-man, what are you doing?>

<I am teaching her basic commands. Since she's staying, I feel it would prove helpful.> He said. <Now come!>

The female flew down from the tree, and landed on his tail blade. He then gave her the mouse.

<Where did you get the mouse?>

<I used my Harrier morph to catch and store food for the training. I have taught her to land on my blade, since it won't hurt.> He said as he walked with her towards Tobias' tree. Upon seeing him, the female decided she wanted a closer perch. He hopped to Ax's shoulder, and dug in.

<Augh! Down! Down! Only on the blade.> He yelped, and she flew down.

<Are you ok?>

<Yes, I have been through worse.> He said as he began morphing to get rid of the wound. <Still some errors to work out.>

<You think Rachel would want you to become attached to her anymore than she wants me to?>

<Well, she is not my special female friend. I have no obligation to swear loyalty to her.>

<True. I hope this works out, since it could keep her from following me to the barn.>

<Yes, I will continue my efforts. Shall we name her?>

<I don't know.>
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 04:48:56 PM by Nohensen »

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline musicman88

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 11:02:29 PM »
I like it so far.  It's nice that you can inject a bit of humor into the situation.
YOU'RE WINNER !

Offline Faerie Larka

• The Patron RAFian of Sarcasm
  • God
  • "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm."
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 11:08:16 PM »
Very nice.  I like the way you portray Ax.
RAFdating the Ellimist!  :D
Jess is my RAFWanderTwin!!

"Look like the innocent flower/ But be the serpent under't"
-Lady Macbeth

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 10:59:38 AM »
Thanks guys.

Chapter Four

Tobias began to get more and more used to the female being around. When he had free time, he sometimes went flying with her. As much fun as he ad flying with his friends, and as much as they had improved their flying, it was something else flying with her. She was just as good as him, if not better. He taught her some tricks, and she learned quickly. They even started competing with each other, and she seemed to have as much fun as he was flying through the forest or doing air tricks among the clouds.

It happened on a day off from missions, during a time when it was perfect for flying. Tobias and the female got up after the sun came up, and went flying. They flew for hours, enjoying the day and each other's company. They did tricks and raced. They did everything that was possible for two hawks to do in the great blue sky. They were both becoming exausted as she led him up for possibly the last bit of fun for the day. Higher than the clouds they flew until they just couldn't fly anymore. Then they dove together.

Tobias was so in the moment, that he barely noticed her reach out her talons for him. They grabbed onto each other and spiraled down together, while the trees went from looking like grass to looking like trees again. Something else happened that he didn't take much notice of at first. By the time he began taking notice, it was time to release. Their bellies skimmed over blades of grass as they glided away from the ground and landed on a tree limb. They rested against each other as the sun began to fade, and Tobias fell asleep.

The next morning, he completely forgot about that extra thing they did as they fell. He didn't remember until later, when he saw her carrying twigs to a dense tree. She went to a spot that was nearly impossible to see from the outside, so he ignored it at first. However, she kept doing it. Ax also noticed.

<Tobias, why is she carrying small fallen tree branches around? Is she building something?>

<The only thing birds build is nests, and only when they're going to lay eggs.>

<That is strange. If she has mated with another hawk, would she not leave?>

<Yes, she would. She hasn't, so it's not a nest.>

<Then what is it? Tobias, did you mate with her?>

<No! I think I'd notice if we were sitting on a branch and I started, um, humping her.>

<Not to be offensive or misguided, but the traditional Human mating process may not be universal to all species.>

<Well, I don't know. Cassie might, but I'm sure not going to ask her.>

<Would you mind if I did?>

<Uh...I guess not. Just don't say it's because of me.>

<I will attempt to be tactful.>

They went over to Cassie's house, where ax asked her to come outside. Tobias listened from the roof.

"Greetings Cassie. Thanks you for coming to speak with me." He asked while in Human morph.

"Sure Ax. What's up?"

"I am continuing my research into Earth species. I was wondering about mating procedures."

"Oh, um, well that's kind of, um, personal."

"Do not worry. It is a simple question. I am aware to the procedure of Human mating, but was wondering if Hawks did it the same way. I am also aware that dogs do it similarly to Humans."

"Not really, no. The two hawks fly up to high altitudes, then grasp talons while they dive to the ground. It happens on their way down. It's not like they do it on a tree branch or something."

"I see. Thank you for answering. I apologize if I made you uncomfortable."

"It's ok Ax. Maybe you should focus on the more public procedures of Humans and animals, though. Like eating habits and social heiarchies. That's interesting."

"Indeed it is."

After several minutes of Cassie talking about animals, Ax was able to leave to talk to Tobias.

<Ax-Man, I think she's building a nest.>

<What is to be done?>

<I don't know! Once she lays, I'm going to have to feed her. Between feeding her, hanging out with friends, and going on missions, how am I going to feed myself?>

<Perhaps we will eat at the food court more often. You could eat Human food that has already been processed.>

<Good idea. If Rachel finds out, though, she'll kill me. Or her. Or both!>

<We will be careful, then.>
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 05:30:37 PM by Nohensen »

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 11:26:31 AM »
Chapter Five

In the coming days, Tobias and Ax caught extra meals and stored them for emergencies. When the female layed her eggs, Tobais hunted for her. It would be very difficult to fly in from above, with the way she placed her nest. He would fly below the branches, then come up through a hole to land on the one that supported the next. Then he'd walk to her and give whatever he had. Things went pretty smoothly until one day he came home to find her extremely distressed. Ax was there also.

<Something is wrong! She continuously circles the tree like she is afraid of something!> As said.

<I'm going in. Try to calm her down.>

Ax started giving commands like down and stay, but she kept screeching. Tobias flew through the hole, and landed on the branch. He saw the nest was fine, but he heard a rattling sound. <Ax-man, we have a snake!>

<So I hear. has it gotten the eggs?>

<No, but it's way too close. I wish I had a mongoose morph or something.>

Tobias rushed forward to stand over the nest, and the snake struck at him. It missed but it was inching ever closer. He began morphing a raccoon, which was the best he could think of at the moment. The viper coiled up as he did, and was ready to fight. With a loud hiss, Tobias pounced on the snake. They both delivered bites, but Tobias pulled the snake away and threw it to the ground. A quick demorph got rid of the poison.

On the ground, the snake writhed, and the female attacked it with a fury. Eventually she calmed down and returned to her eggs.

<That was scary. I'll have to spend more time in the meadow. I don't know how I'll handle missions while being worried about this stuff, Ax.>

<Perhaps there is a simple solution to the ground based predator problem.> They went and gathered a wide sheet of tin from a junkyard, and nailed it up around the tree. This way snakes and raccoons couldn't get up the tree.

<This does make the tree suspicios if our friends come, though.> Ax said.

<Maybe you could say it's Andalite superstition or something.>

<The wrapping material and object to be wrapped are all wrong for that, though.>

<What?>

<Not that I'm superstitious!>

More and more often, Tobias began eating Human food. Since most of the money for the food came from the Animorph's pockets, they couldn't help but notice.

"So why are you eating more and more regular food, Tobias?" Marco asked. "It's not even the dry season."

"He can eat Human food if he wants. He's as Human as the rest of us." Rachel replied.

"I'm just trying to get more used to doing Human things when I'm in Human morph. It might not last forever, though." He said, wondering how long it took for hawk eggs to hatch. Once they hatched, the female could feed her babies.

"Uh huh." Cassie said. She had a curious look, which wasn't a good thing. Given her intuitive abilities. Ax had already asked her about hawk mating, and now Tobias was eating more Human food than usual during a time of plenty. Tobais tried to change the subject, and for a week they didn't seem to suspicious.

Tobias was visiting Ax and watching TV when cassie flew in. She demorphed and sat down by Ax. "Tobais, why is there a sheet of tin around a tree in your meadow?

<Andalite superstition, Cassie. I'd go into all the details, but it might bore you.> Ax said.

"Ah, I see. So it has nothing to do with the female hawk and her nest?"

After some silence, Tobais spoke. <How did you see it?>

"I got a small bird morph, and flew through the branches fairly well. She largely ignored me. Care to explain?"

<Okay. I chased her off after she first followed me to the barn, but she came back. I didn't want to hurt her, and I couldn't seem to get rid of her short of attacking. So I let her stay. We had fun flying together, and Ax even taught her some commands. I kept my guard up, but it just kind of happened. I didn't really expect mating to be in midair or anything like that.>

"So when Ax asked me about that, it was because she was starting to build a nest?"

<Yeah.>

"And you started eating more Human food at about the time it would take between conception and egg laying. Then I go to your meadow to find tin around a tree. Upon closer insection, I find the truth."

<Your knowledge of animals has undone us, Cassie.> Ax said.

<I know I cheated on rachel, but we just have to wait until the eggs hatch and the birds fly off. Then I'll dispose of the nest, and all evidence will be gone.>

"What about the guilt, and the further temptaion to mate next breeding season. You have to tell rachel. It's the only thing."

<I can't.>

"Either you do it, or I will."

<Cassie, no! If she finds out, she'll kill her. The eggs...I don't think I can take that. It was bad enough when that snake almost got them, but I can't imagine knowing Rachel destroyed them. I care deeply for Rachel, but I also care for the female and our eggs! You can't!>

"Tobias, who do you think you're talking to? I'm not going to let Rachel harm a mother hawk and her eggs. I will explain things to her, and comfort her after you tell her."

Ax got up and turned off the TV. <Cassie, the implications of this could be much deeper than just confessing the truth. It could ruin the group. Because of this, I will take drastic actions.>

"How drastic?" Cassie said nervously.

<I will give you something, regardless of cost or required effort.>

"You're trying to bribe me?"

<Yes. Humans enjoy material possessions. I have discovered this in my studies.>

"Study harder, Ax. Anything else?"

<Yes.> He said, and walked close to her. <I will stare into your eyes, and speak to you in a low voice. Like Prince jake does when he wants someone to listen to them.> he said soflty.

"No." Cassie said softly.

<She is difficult.> He said to Tobias.

<Ok, I'll go to Rachel's. I hope my other girl and the group doesn't get destroyed by my mistake.>

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Faerie Larka

• The Patron RAFian of Sarcasm
  • God
  • "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm."
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 06:44:39 PM »
Ooh. Jealous Rachel! Scary...
RAFdating the Ellimist!  :D
Jess is my RAFWanderTwin!!

"Look like the innocent flower/ But be the serpent under't"
-Lady Macbeth

Offline V2113

• Recently Returned Raffian, RRR
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 10:21:24 PM »
If I were Cassie I would've most definately kept it a secret. No matter what. I mean, Rachel would go ballistic and kill like, EVERYONE!!! For the sake of the eggs, I would keep it a secret and not tell anyone until after the eggs had hatched and the hatchlings had been raised and relocated along with the female hawk, + a few weeks.

I'm scared of the next chapter. Very scared.
I used to be V, before that I was Tobiasfan21. Then I disappeared for several months after being kidnapped by the Twilight series. Don't make me talk about it, it was horrible. Now, I'm V2113.

I am currently a Heroes fan who enjoys writing more than anything in the world.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 10:30:42 PM »
It goes along with the idea that Tobias shouldn't hide the truth. He cheated on Rachel. Besides, it will lead into something else that happens in later chapters.

I left it in a cliffhanger because I had already written a lot for the chapter. The next chapter will have a lot of talking too. Including letting Jake and marco know, of course.

I hope the superstition thing is funny. I meant for it to be funny, but it started to remind me of Rachel's body being wrapped in soft cloth. I didn't mean to imply that, since it's suppose to get a laugh.

Chapter Six

Tobias flew to Rachel's backyard, where he couldn't be easily seen morphing. He had cold feet, as it were, so after finishing his morph he just stood there for a bit. Soon, Ax came over and assumed Human morph.

"I came to give you moral support, Tobias."

"So she didn't change her mind?"

"No. She is coming, and expects you to be done by the time she gets here. Otherwise she will begin informing Rachel herself.

Tobias took some deep breaths, and went to the porch to knock on the door. Rachel came out, and they moved away from the house.

"Hey Tobias. Hey Ax. What brings you two here?"

"Rachel....I'm sorry."

"About what?"

"You know Ax, she looks like she's in a good mood. Myabe I should wait until tonight or something."

"You must tell her now. That is the agreement."

"Just spill it, Tobias."

"Okay. Um, you remember the female hawk, right?"

"The one I told you to chase off?"

"Yeah. I chased her off, but she came back. After that, I had trouble chasing her off again."

"Didn't you try kicking her butt. Tearing her a new one would go a long way towards getting the message through."

"I couldn't do it. She's bigger than me, and I kind of enjoy having her around. We make great flying buddies."

"It's ok, Tobias. You don't have to apologize for being a softy. I'll help you. Afterall, if you keep hanging out with her she'll get you to have sex with her. You know, it happens in the air, and not on a brach, right? I learned that from Cassie."

"Oh, I know. I know exactly how it goes. Her still being there isn't what I'm apologizing for."

"Tobias, you didn't!"

"She has eggs."

"How could you!? We're supposed to be a couple! We're together! This is nothing short of cheating! With an ANIMAL that will never have a complex relationship with you! With a creature that can never talk on an intelligent level! You're Human Tobias! On the inside, you've always been Human! That's what separates us from the animals! I thought you understood that! I thought...you...you!" Her voice began to crack a little, and she punched Tobias in the face. He fell down, clutching his head. After taking some deep breaths, she turned towards Ax. In response, he raised his arms up defensively.

"What is your excuse? Why did you let him do this?"

"On my planet, there are many nothlits who must choose between one life, or the other. Trying to live a reasonably normal Andalite life, or choosing to live as the creature they are trapped as. It is nessecary for us to respect those decisions. To do otherwise is immoral, and illegal. Tobias is my shorm, and I respect his decision to live as a hawk. If he so chooses."

"Tobias isn't a nothlit! He can becoem a Human if he wants! And stupid decisions don't have to be respected! They have to be fixed! Tobias, we are through!"

After that, she stormed back into the house. Cassie came by to look at Tobias, and saw a red mark forming. She then went to the back door, opened it, and ducked as a heavy pot was thrown through the doorway. "Rachel. It's me." She said as she continued in.

After that, Tobais and Ax headed to the beach. They made the nessecary demorphs and morphs to get there easily. He didn't want to see the female again, or be anywhere near the meadow. They sat on the beach as Ax attempted to cheer him up. Jake and Marco were there, as well.

"Hey Tobais and Ax. What are you doing here?" Marco asked.

"Greeting...Jake and Marco." Ax said, trying not to use the word Prince.

"Marco is here trying to pick up girls, and I'm here to keep him from getting into trouble."

"I'm going to be a dad." Tobias said bluntly. Jake and Marco looked at each other, then Marco walked up to Tobais and put his arm on his shoulders.

"I understand man, and I'll tell you what you have to do. You have to go to that female hawk, and tell her the truth. You can't hide it from her! It's going to hurt, but that's the only way the wound will heal!"

"I think it's the other way around, Marco." Jake said. "Have you told Rachel yet?"

"I just got through doing that. Cassie's there consoling her."

"Yeah, she told me she thought something was up with you. what with the extra eating and something about Ax asking about hawk sex."

"Personally, I'm surpried he's still alive. Rachel is going to crush that female hawk of yours, dude."

"Cassie said she'd keep that from happening."

"I'm sure she will. Maybe I'll talk to her too, since this could endanger the group."

"I'm really sorry guys. Rachel is done with me, and as much fun as it is to fly with the female I'll never be able to have an intelliegent relationship with her. Just flying and having sex. What am I going to do?"

"We will discover a solution to this problem, Tobias. I am certain. I am here for you."

"Dude, I think you should have been more here against him. That way he wouldn't have to worry about being mauled."
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 10:34:06 AM by Nohensen »

Ani-Master 2014!