Author Topic: Animorphs kill-count?  (Read 13266 times)

Offline Darth Revan

• Master of the Star Forge!
  • Gold Donor
  • Now you see the true Dark Lord of the Sith!
Re: Animorphs kill-count?
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2009, 01:40:33 PM »
My thoughts exactly. I don't think they should count either, 'cause guess what, "They're not dead anymore!"
We're looking for who killed who, not what is weighing on their conscience.

Okay, so we need to create a template for the info for people to fill.

This is just a suggestion:

(Book #)

(Character Name)

[Type of death (Morph, Dracon, Starvation, etc.)]

[Victim type (Human,H-B,etc.)] - (How many)

Book #1

Jake

Morph kills:

Hork-Bajir-Controllers - 4
Taxxon-Controllers - 5
Human-Controllers - 1
Controlling Yeerks - 10

The yeerks should be counted, but I think as a separate total. That way there's some distinction

Any other suggestions?

RAFengaged to Midnight_Huntress

Offline anijen21

« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2009, 01:50:12 PM »
I'm thinking sanctioning off books might be a little daunting to prospective kill-hunters

so maybe we should just start at the beginning, and everyone can grab whatever's at the top of the pile, you know what I mean? As long as people announce what book they're doing before they do it, we won't have any doubles.

Or someone could just make a big list and people could take whatever books they wanted.
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2009, 02:01:22 PM »
Sounds like a good idea.  I'll go ahead and make the list.

Megamorphs 1
Megamorphs 2
Megamorphs 3
#32 -DinosaurNothlit
#33 -DinosaurNothlit
#34 -DinosaurNothlit
Visser
Megamorphs 4

I didn't miss any books, did I?

Anyway, I went ahead and called three books, if nobody minds.  If someone else is a huge fan of 32 or 34, I'll give in, but I figured it would just be easier to do those all at once since they're right next to each other.  Who else wants which books?

Oh, and another question.  In book #32, should I lump Nice Rachel's and Mean Rachel's kills together as Rachel's kills, or keep all three separate (not that Nice Rachel ever killed anybody, lol).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 02:04:13 PM by DinosaurNothlit »

Offline Darth Revan

• Gold Donor
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2009, 02:04:31 PM »
Okay, should we make a new thread in the projects board?

I think first come first serve would work, but they have to request the book first, so as we don't have 5 people tallying the same book.

I still need suggestions about the template. Do you like the template, or would you like some things changed?

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2009, 02:43:53 PM »
I still need suggestions about the template. Do you like the template, or would you like some things changed?

I think the template looks pretty good, but we should add some sort of system to cover ambiguous, indirect, and/or AU kills.  Or maybe just use asterisks to note things like that?

Also, a question.  Are we counting non-sentient kills?

Offline anijen21

« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2009, 02:48:04 PM »
Also, a question.  Are we counting non-sentient kills?

lol so we can count that falcon that David divebombed and that fish that Mean Rachel ripped to shreds?

Offline Darth Revan

• Gold Donor
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2009, 03:29:29 PM »
No, I think not. Sentient only.

I think at the very bottom there should be a section for group effort kills or "iffy" kills.

Only give credit for clean-cut "I shoot, you die" kills, and then afterward put the "fringe" kills.

#6 - The Capture

Jake KJ:LK
DJFKDJFL

Cassie lakdfadkf
al;dkfja

Rachel

Fringe kills:

One yeerk was starved out by the Animorphs

Offline Homiegee

« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2009, 01:28:29 AM »
Recently read both of these books, so I'll just go ahead and give the kill-counts.

Book 12 (The Reaction)

Rachel-Accidentally stepped on Jeremy Jason McCole's Yeerk

Book 13 (The change)

Rachel- Possible Hork-Bajir controller kill, says "she'd taken one of [the Hork-Bajir] out of the fight." Don't know if that means kill or simply knocking the Hork-Bajir unconscious. Probably the latter, as she later simply knocks another Hork-Bajir out. Otherwise there are none.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2009, 10:20:23 AM »
Book 12 (The Reaction)

Rachel-Accidentally stepped on Jeremy Jason McCole's Yeerk

I might debate that one.  Both times, in the books, when Yeerks have been stepped on, they are simply assumed to be dead afterwards.  Never do we get any proof that they can actually be killed that way, and when you think about it, it doesn't make sense that they should be.  I mean, if they're malleable enough to squish down into a person's skull, do you really think they're going to be killed by pressure?

I'm doing book 32, and there's a scene where some Hork-Bajir are hit by a car at full speed, and I'm not counting those.  Humans or Taxxons, and they would have been killed.  Hork-Bajir?  Don't think so.  Which means that Mean Rachel only got a whopping 4 in-canon kills; two Hork-Controllers, and the two Yeerks controlling them.  That surprised me.  I was sure she'd killed more than that.

Anyway, is someone going to make this into a Project, or what?  Or should I?

Offline Homiegee

« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2009, 12:14:30 PM »
She stepped on the Yeerk in grizzly bear morph.

A hundred pound human stepping on a Yeerk? Yeah, it will probably be OK.
But a half-ton grizzly bear stepping on a Yeerk? The Yeerk is going to be as flat as a pancake, if not dead.

I count it as a kill, especially since the book implies/assumes the Yeerk to be dead, but if you don't then that's fine too.

EDIT:
Just got through reading book 14, The Unknown.

Ax in rattlesnake morph bites a Hork-Bajir and the Hork-Bajir is shown to be suffering from poison during the battle. Rattlesnake bites are usually deadly if not treated with anti-venom, but it is not a confirmed death. Other than that, no kills in book 14.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 01:33:26 PM by Homiegee »

Offline anijen21

« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2009, 01:32:49 PM »
I think it's implied throughout the series that squashing a Yeerk will kill it. Visser Three almost does this to Aftran in #29, the Hork-Bajir stomp on all the spilled Yeerks in the Hork-Bajir Chronicles, etc. It is kind of weird that their method for infestation requires them to flatten and uncoil and disperse and they're still vulnerable to that, but...idk, wank all you want about that. Maybe they have to be in contact with gray/pink matter for that to work. Neurons and the like. Who knows.

Offline Homiegee

« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2009, 01:37:51 PM »
Yeerks could be thought of like water baloons. If you just step on a water baloon it will pop, but if you carefully press it toward a flat surface it will spread out to a point. Of course, Yeerks aren't made of water, probably more like a mushy substance which is more malleable, but the concept is similar.

In that manner, once they're ready to infest a host Yeerks can probably flatten themselves to a point using a gradual process which slowly re-arranges their internal organs. But if you were to just stomp on one you'd crush it.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2009, 01:49:45 PM »
Yeerks could be thought of like water baloons. If you just step on a water baloon it will pop, but if you carefully press it toward a flat surface it will spread out to a point. Of course, Yeerks aren't made of water, probably more like a mushy substance which is more malleable, but the concept is similar.

In that manner, once they're ready to infest a host Yeerks can probably flatten themselves to a point using a gradual process which slowly re-arranges their internal organs. But if you were to just stomp on one you'd crush it.

Okay, that's a good point.  Yeah, I can buy that.

So the kill in book 12 probably really is a kill.  I just wanted to make sure.

VisserZer0

« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2009, 02:02:24 PM »
What about the Howlers? Didn't Crayak kill them all after they had the kissing memory transplanted into them? I think he did, not sure, though. That would make Jake indirectly respobsible for the deaths of all the Howlers Crayak had created, since Jake gave the Howlers his memories.

Offline Jess

• God
  • nostalgia makes me come back
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2009, 02:51:57 PM »
20-22 are mine!

I'm right up to the David arc in my series re-read anyway.