Author Topic: Time Travel Paradox...  (Read 2663 times)

NateSean

Re: Time Travel Paradox...
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 11:50:01 AM »
My advice when writing about time travel is the same as writing about vampires.

Figure out the rules in your universe before you start writing. Work out everything you're going to use in the context of your story. Ignore what everyone else has done and don't think too much about it.

Stick with those rules.

If you break those rules for any reason, make sure the audience knows why.

Pretty simple, really.

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 01:09:02 PM »
My favorite idea about time travel is that it cannot exist, because we know from our own history that there were not thousands of spectators from the future at every key historical event!

What little serious work that his been put into travel suggests is that if time travel is possible, it is linked to the machine, and as such, you cannot travel to a point before the machine existed.

NateSean

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 01:13:51 PM »
By "serious" I assume you mean scientific. In which case, without said machine to prove the point, it is superfluous.

Offline Josh (J)

• The Dude
  • God
  • Back from the dead.
    • Josh the Normal
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 01:50:17 PM »
Traveling to the past could take place from a limited free-will view, perhaps, that way it would be as though you weren't truly there, but only watching it. But that would stink. No character interaction, something I'd really want. Traveling to the future...if I do that in what I'm working on (assuming I stick with it!), the time traveler will most likely not remember the whole thing, since it really didn't happen, and that way he wouldn't be able to make great predictions in time and so on.

Offline invisiblecake

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 02:22:04 PM »
All I have to say here is wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey.

Time travel is confusing.

Offline ~

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Something slow an bittersweet
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 08:34:01 PM »
To aswer the first question, the animorphs were actually taken from the original timeline, Crayak and the ellimist kept them excluded from any further changes in the timeline including v4's erasure from existance. Also you have to remember that the time matrix isn't a time machine as much as a reality warper, hence the mashup world and lauren's 'I'm 18 now' in TAC. That wouldn't have worked with a delorean, BttF rules don't apply. Which brings me to the bit about the future. Yes you can see the future, but then you change it just for having seen it. Flashforward, the book more then the show, explains the concept pretty well using quantum physics.

Offline Josh (J)

• The Dude
  • God
  • Back from the dead.
    • Josh the Normal
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2011, 03:31:05 PM »
Just a question as to not get off subject...does anyone know where there's a thread for Time Travel?

Offline Nar Klawip

• Raf's Ever-Lovin' Blue-Eyed Howler
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 04:21:19 PM »
I found this company some time ago. Some of their stuff works and is pretty cool, but I have never been bored/crazy/reckless enough to buy any of their time travel stuff

Future Horizons-Advanced Technology- is a small research and developtment group dedicated to making secret, supressed and controversial information accessible to interested individuals. Our goal is to develop new advanced technologies and concepts and help move mankind into the 21st century and beyond.

http://www.futurehorizons.net/

http://www.futurehorizons.net/time.htm
"When life gives you lemons you make lemonade. When a dying Andalite Prince gives you the morphing power? Well then you make miracles." ~Me

“Screams of a billion murdered stars give lie to the night's peace, while we cling desperately to the few fragile spinning stones we call worlds." ~Hasturi the Mad Perseid, Andromeda

“Well, remember what you said, because in a day or two, I'll have a witty and blistering retort! You'll be devastated THEN!” ~ Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 10:34:13 AM »
My advice when writing about time travel is the same as writing about vampires.

Figure out the rules in your universe before you start writing. Work out everything you're going to use in the context of your story. Ignore what everyone else has done and don't think too much about it.

Stick with those rules.

If you break those rules for any reason, make sure the audience knows why.

Pretty simple, really.

Agreed. I don't care which rules you go with as long as you stick with them. It really annoys me when they establish rules and then break them without explanation.

A classic scenario being the idea of going back and changing something to affect the present; fair enough. However, you can't do that and also have things affect the present BEFORE you go back and change them. I know time travel tends to make cause and effect confusing, but you can't just alternate between the two without at least trying to explain it.

We do actually have a http://animorphsforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=6671.0 thread in General, so unless anyone has anything to add that's Animorphs related, we should post there. Or I could merge the threads if you prefer.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 10:37:15 AM by Phoenix004 »
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 12:16:31 PM »
     Do whatever you'd like, Phoenix. You're the boss.

As a little side note, it's funny how the Animorphs go back in time like...three times? (The Forgotten, Megamorphs 2 and 3?) But rarely change anything. Sure, in Megamorphs 2, they end the Mercora race, but that's not exactly changing anything since the asteroid/meteroite/comet (I honestly don't know the difference, so excuse my ignorance) collided into Earth and wiped out the Dinosaurs. So really, all the Animorphs books with Time Travel were just a slap in the face :P
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

NateSean

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2011, 02:32:02 PM »
Actually, if you want to go super technical, the future hasn't happened yet so one can't travel into it.

There's a story I read in an anthology once that was really funny. It was based on the idea that if you travel into the future, once you return to your own time you'll have no memory of the trip since paradoxically the trip could never have happened.

I won't spoil the story because if you ever get a chance to read it, it's actually quite funny.

Found it. I owe someone on a writing forum for helping me find this and here's the link. ;)

http://books.google.com/books?id=1M0Y2RYqffIC&pg=PA199&lpg=PA199&dq=The+Business,+as+Usual+Mack+Reynolds&source=bl&ots=T2v8Dfx-to&sig=rd87mjTIz4d2Kja1YGjDjask5L8&hl=en&ei=HcaYTYX-OPO90QGC77XwCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=The%20Business%2C%20as%20Usual%20Mack%20Reynolds&f=false

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2011, 03:41:31 PM »
OK first off a comet is a piece of flying ice/metal/dust in space that's in an orbit so unless something goes wrong comets don't hit anything. I think asteroids and meteoroids are the same thing just that one is still in space and one is in orbit. And the solution that some writers come up with is a time machine that you step inside and teleports not only you but it self to said destination. And in theory time travel is completely possible but if we made a machine it would take so much energy that the entire world would be drained of resources. The power needed at my guess would require a nuclear reactor the size of the moon. But then again I don't trust theory so we may find some unique energy source to power one. Now discuss my minions.
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline saamoz610

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2012, 07:18:39 PM »
What little serious work that his been put into travel suggests is that if time travel is possible, it is linked to the machine, and as such, you cannot travel to a point before the machine existed.

I just don't get that.  When traveling to the past, isn't the machine taken with the traveler?

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2012, 08:19:40 PM »
Yes, but one small malfuntion would cause you to be stranded with andrew jackson. The risk is completely insane.

On a different note, time travel is impossible. At least, the changing of events is. You cannot change history, because it is set in stone.
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

NateSean

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2012, 10:07:06 AM »
Not Andrew Jackson. That guy is such a jerk. Your best bet is to find Winston Churchill, he rocks.