Author Topic: GESB: OOC Discussion  (Read 224257 times)

Offline Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin)

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
  • May The Force be with you.
Re: GESB: OOC Discussion
« Reply #4980 on: July 02, 2016, 04:54:46 AM »
It's okay, most of us do go by our online nick's, but amongst ourselves, we use the nick and the real name interchangeably.  And yes, my first name really IS Luke, though my last is certainly NOT Skywalker.  Although I have made my own practice lightsaber out of PVC plumbing parts from Menard's.  XD  I'm also 100% purebred, cornfed homosexual...not that you would particularly care.  :p  It's just a known fact around here and I do make some off-color jokes from time to time.

Honestly as long as you have a firm grasp of the English language (Terenia is a former English teacher, and we're all sort of grammar nuts), and don't power-game, you'll be good.  Skills with creative writing are a major plus, and you seem to have those too.  Honestly your posts thus far have been well-crafted.  Substantive, purposeful, and grammatically and conventionally accurate.  Not to mention your character has flaws and purpose, even though you don't have him fully developed yet.  You seem like a great fit to me.  Certainly of a much-higher caliber than we're used to with new-comers.  :)

And I will happily overlook your heavy usage of emoticons if you'll kindly overlook my hailstorm of...ellipses.  :p
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 05:01:23 AM by Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin) »
:raftrophy:

Best Role Play Writer ~ 2012
RAF Silverblade
Genuine Kimmeree's Anichat Player

guitarhero01234

« Reply #4981 on: July 02, 2016, 05:11:00 AM »
Damn, that PVC lightsaber sounds badass! I'll oust myself as as failure of a nerd and admit that I've never seen Star Wars, but still, that's awesome! And yeah, doesn't bother me at all that you're "100% purebred, cornfed homosexual." Hell, I'm gay, myself :P As for the off-color jokes . . . yeah, I try to avoid them here on RAF (outside of my personal thread), but I'm pretty well-known for them IRL.

And thanks for the praise :D I actually have very little experience with creative writing. I took a class in high school which I failed due to never doing my projects because I'm a lazy bastard, but that's about it. I did write a couple fanfics (or as Cloaky would like to call them, companion books) to Memoirs of a RAFian based on my character, because as well as being lazy, I'm maybe a touch narcissistic. The first of these was complete complete garbage that I gave up on trying to make decent about 5 chapters in. The second fic wasn't the worst thing ever, though, if I can say so myself. :P

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #4982 on: July 02, 2016, 05:41:21 AM »
IDK about badass, but it does have a full tang.  :p  My buddy and I both made one and we were worried about the cops pulling us over while we were transporting the parts and thinking we were making pipe bombs or something.  XD  Even if you hate Sci Fi, Star Wars is a must-see.  Back when I was a teenager, someone never having seen Star Wars was unheard-of. :p

Ah, well then...we've become much more common of late.  XD  The "purebred, cornfed" thing was actually a joke in and of itself..."purebred" because I always play catcher...  >_>  "cornfed" because of where I live.  :p

I have a chronic laziness problem myself...screwed up my University career because I just didn't get up to go to class.  :(   Speaking of...I need to sleep really really badly.  So I'm going to.  :p  I'll check out your fic when I'm not passing out.  XD  Once again, welcome to the dysfunctional GESB family.  ^^

RAF Silverblade

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #4983 on: July 02, 2016, 02:24:57 PM »
I was in the GESB and RAF for probably close to 3-6 years in some form myself (Has it really been nine years?!) and to complicate matters even further (Because it just couldn'tve been simple...) Jeffrey Barnes is actually the current form of a character I've had for eleven years (...and that's only if you don't count Prince Margonite--- You could argue he's existed as a character for longer than that. o__O; ). And that's only counting as a character. In 2014 whereabouts, I got together with Estelore (Who was once a regular on the GESB) and my girlfriend Caitlin <3, and played the villain of the collaborative novel we wrote together as a sort of much-crazier, much-more-Joker-like form of "Mar."

Which is itself a reference to a number of interesting developments in my personal life, and has to do with how I started dating Caitlin in the first place. Long story short...

Trying to tease out all of the plot threads, side references, and commentary being used by the characters here is like trying to explain all eleven or twelve seasons of Doctor Who. But in another way the Bar's like Doctor Who--- You don't necessarily have to know what's going on to play ball. When I came in, everyone else's characters except Kitsune Marie's had been around for seven years, and Tara had been Roleplaying with me for three. ...I managed anyway. :]

Welcome, and sorry for the interpersonal mess! <3
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 02:27:33 PM by Shenmue654 »

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4984 on: July 02, 2016, 02:28:53 PM »
I managed well enough too, coming in about 150 pages into the old GESB thread here. Claxter the andalite is the one I think I've done the longest, but he's probably not going to show up. Unless Jessie wants to bring efaen back, and she and Luke want that trio of mess in the bar. Currently I'd just like to play with Verdana, who is a new character based on my new drug Undertale.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #4985 on: July 02, 2016, 09:54:56 PM »
I managed well enough too, coming in about 150 pages into the old GESB thread here. Claxter the andalite is the one I think I've done the longest, but he's probably not going to show up. Unless Jessie wants to bring efaen back, and she and Luke want that trio of mess in the bar. Currently I'd just like to play with Verdana, who is a new character based on my new drug Undertale.

Buahaha. We'll see. Efaen may show up at some point, but right now I'm having fun with my new characters.

gh, I taught high school English for five years, and I make a living off of writing, and I can wholeheartedly say your involvement so far has been incredibly fun and entertaining (and well-written!). :) Keep it up, dude.

Also, if it helps, my two characters currently at the bar have never been there before. William is absolutely involved in ZERO backstory (which is one of the reasons why I brought him in), and Dalik is very, very much on the fringes of Myitt's world. William is from a universe of my own making (well, mine and another GESB-er, Marie), so he and his abilities will be unfamiliar to pretty much everyone here.

As for my own involvement in the bar....I've been there since around 2009-2010ish, and admit to contributing to quite a few shenanigans. I'm going to keep most of those characters at bay, though, as I want to keep it easy for people to jump in without knowing all of the backstory. I don't want my characters to get so hyper-involved in "old hat" characters like Myitt and Ossanlin that they ignore the others at the bar.

That said, Terenia also may make an appearance at some point.......because she's everyone's favorite.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 09:56:57 PM by Terenia »

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #4986 on: July 02, 2016, 10:10:24 PM »
Yeah. I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said, but I will say that it's really good to be back doing this - and at 32, I really don't think I'm ever gonna stop. Whut.

Myitt was "born" in 1998, which is older than many human beings, some of whom I now teach (science) and have conversations with (terrifying).

Welcome to the madness, gh :)

I feel fortunate to call some of the folks here some of my oldest friends. And well, I've met Luke and Kelly in person at different points - both of them have let me crash on their couch, and Kelly went to my wedding (to my ex-husband, who is amazing, and also looks great in a pink bathrobe, long story), and we've been through ups and downs over the years, so I really mean that when I say it.

Also, Jessi's my partner, and we live together, so it's easy to egg one another on with this kinda stuff. Expect us to be involved as long as we all want to be!

Wow. That was a rant. /endrant
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 10:23:07 PM by Myitt »

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

guitarhero01234

« Reply #4987 on: July 02, 2016, 11:59:42 PM »
Thanks, guys :D Having a lot of fun with this so far, I gotta say!

Also, I just looked at your profiles, and HOLY CRAP, I'm a baby compared to y'alls (except possibly Shenmue) :P

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #4988 on: July 03, 2016, 12:24:09 AM »
Well, sorta. XD I'm 27 years old, and I've.....been around the bush a few times myself. <3 I'm the "Kelly" that's being referred to.

And Tara, that is the Pink Bathrobe of Evil and you will respect it. v___v XD

I missed you man...Welcome back. Also holy crap we really managed to get the band back together.

As for Jeffrey, while there's a reason he's so easy to play, he is a product of a system of mine that involves altering characters and their backstories to suit the setting, and not the other way around. The actual place he specifically is from, along with his backstory here, was invented by three bored writers over 2014 Winter Break. So none of you have seen any of that, unless by chance you read the books. ;)

gh, you're literally one of the best new writers I've seen on the GESB so far....And trust me, we know bad. The GESB in its heyday attracted all kinds of bad. Welcome to the show! <3
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 12:40:31 AM by Shenmue654 »

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #4989 on: July 03, 2016, 01:28:26 AM »
I could respond right now gh, but I want to give everyone a chance to respond to the event before moving through it.  I will definitely respond to your character, I generally try to respond in the order my character is addressed, just not quite yet if that's okay with you.  ^^

RAF Silverblade

guitarhero01234

« Reply #4990 on: July 03, 2016, 01:44:55 AM »
I missed you man...Welcome back. Also holy crap we really managed to get the band back together.

In which case, I guess I'm Joakim Svalberg?

. . . Why did I make that joke. There is no way anybody would ever get that joke.

gh, you're literally one of the best new writers I've seen on the GESB so far....And trust me, we know bad. The GESB in its heyday attracted all kinds of bad. Welcome to the show! <3

Thanks :D Honestly, I didn't think the stuff I was writing was all that great, but I guess you guys seem to like it :P

I could respond right now gh, but I want to give everyone a chance to respond to the event before moving through it.  I will definitely respond to your character, I generally try to respond in the order my character is addressed, just not quite yet if that's okay with you.  ^^

Yeah, I sorta figured that's how you guys do it. I'll try to follow that convention if I remember. If I dun goof, feel free to let me know :)

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #4991 on: July 03, 2016, 11:02:02 PM »
Happy 4th of July everyone! :D

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4992 on: July 04, 2016, 08:14:07 AM »
Yay, Fourth of July!

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #4993 on: July 08, 2016, 09:44:59 PM »
Hey Oss--- You coming back? : 3

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #4994 on: July 08, 2016, 10:04:24 PM »

And Tara, that is the Pink Bathrobe of Evil and you will respect it. v___v XD

Yep. Oh, that bathrobe. Dave sends his regards, by the way!

I missed you too! Holy crap, the band! *shiny star eyes*

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash