Author Topic: The Collector  (Read 3126 times)

Offline Venom

• Xtreme Member
  • We are Venom
The Collector
« on: February 25, 2009, 08:42:19 PM »
Prologue

It started as an experiment, it went horribly wrong. Back in 1943, back when the government thought they could do anything for what they called “the greater good”.  They called it Project Darwin, kind of ironic when you think about it. They named it for Charles Darwin and his theory of natural selection. That all animals will adapt to their situations through evolution. Project Darwin started off as a small scale experiment, it used modern genetic technology to attempt to speed up the evolution process. They first tried it in mice and received incredible results. Almost immediately the mice’s teeth hardened enough to chew through the cage and escape. 40 mice escaped, 4 were found dead in the facility within the hour, 31 were caught again and put into stronger cages and 5 were never found and were assumed dead.

After the success in the experiment on mice, Project Darwin was ready to test on humans. Five volunteers from the US army from 5 different services were chosen, they were the best of the best. The plan was to evolve these men into supersoldiers, men with extraordinary abilities who they could use to defeat the Nazis. The five soldiers were put through the experiment and kept in isolation. The pilot was the first one to change. The first night of the experiment, when he was asleep, one of the scientists on watch observed him hover over his bed. The second change came to the marine. The scientist in charge of watching him came back from getting his morning coffee and found him missing. He rushed into the room only to find him materialize right in front of him. The naval officer was the third, his senses were enhanced greatly, allowing him to see, hear and smell things that no human being ever could. The medic found that he was able to immediately heal any wound befallen on another person. Finally the ground troop received enhanced strength and perception.

After the success of the first batch of soldiers, Project Darwin was ready to go public... until the Lash incident. John Lash, the ground troop who went through the experiment, decided that he wanted to be the only person with these abilities, so he killed the others one by one. He slaughtered the medic first, snuck up behind and pulled his head clean off his shoulders. He moved on to the pilot and punched a hole through his stomach before being discovered. He killed nearly 100 scientists and soldiers that day, with his bare hands. He was finally put down, after killing the naval officer, when the marine, who had turned invisible, went behind him and shot him in the head. After the Lash incident, Project Darwin was deemed a failure and was effectively shut down. All records of its existence were wiped clean, and all surviving members from the project were eliminated. For all intents and purposes, Project Darwin never existed.

It is believed that this is how it all began, with the 5 mice that escaped from the lab. They bred, and created more mice, some of whom had enhanced abilities as well. These mice died years later and were decomposed into crops. The crops were then shipped out and served to us as food. Those fortunate enough to eat the food received abilities, these abilities were bred into their children. Unfortunately, the genes from Project Darwin lie dormant in 90% of cases when passed on. However in those 10% of cases, people receive all of the benefits from Project Darwin.

These abilities have remained secret since most people who receive them don't even realize that they exist. The abilities range from extremely subtle, like being able to do complex mathematics in their head, to something extreme like flight. There are some who have discovered these people, and have found a way to harvest their abilities. Some of these people use their newfound abilities to help others, or for the greater good, others use their abilities to bring chaos or destruction. These people are called collectors. That’s where I come in. My name is Steven Tarrell, I am a collector.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 12:15:45 PM by Shanker »
RAFDating Marie. Jealous?

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End

Basically I put everyone who looks like a good guy in Gryffindor and everyone who looks like a bad guy in Slytherin. The rest can go wherever the hell they want, I don't care.

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
Re: The Collector
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 08:45:56 PM »
This. Looks. Fawesome.

Keep writing!!!! ;D
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline Nateosaurus

• Superhero
  • God
  • Now madness takes you, forever
    • My youtube :)
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 11:45:58 PM »
This is awesome, Shanker, keep it coming or I shall kill you.  >:D
Most likely to have a superhero identity 2012
Best superhero duo 2012 (Team Phate)
Most likely to survive the zombie apocalypse 2013

Offline Venom

• Xtreme Member
  • We are Venom
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 11:48:10 PM »
thanks guys, will try to write chapter one this weekend

Basically I put everyone who looks like a good guy in Gryffindor and everyone who looks like a bad guy in Slytherin. The rest can go wherever the hell they want, I don't care.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 09:09:58 AM »
I love stories involving super powers, and this sounds liker a very original concept for introducing them. Looking forward to seeing more of this!
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Hunter

• The RAFdoctor
  • God
  • The resident Furry!
    • My FA
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 09:18:21 PM »
holy feckin poo

i love it so far! plz, keep it comin man!

GESB Character: Subject #2218
Intro Rando Character: Hunter

'There are days I hate being me, but then again, I'm not you.'

Offline Venom

• Xtreme Member
  • We are Venom
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 11:03:05 PM »
Chapter 1 - Meetings

It had only been four hours since I had gotten back from Ohio when my phone rang. I sighed and got up off my couch, heading to the kitchen to grab my phone.

“Hello?” I answered.

“Steven?” a gruff male voice replied on the other end.

“Yea?”

“It’s Darrell Fairman, I think I found one.”

“And what makes this one any different than the last four? Remember the one in Cleveland? Richard Boss? Turns out he’s just really good at basketball, and is not a flyer.”

“Sorry about Richard, but this one is close to you, maybe a half an hour drive north. Sam Lastman, in Greenville North Carolina, shouldn’t be too bad. The address is 4818 Yorkshire Circle.”

“Any idea on what this one can do?”

“Sorry Steven, I hope you find him” Darrell said before he hung up the phone.
I sighed again and grabbed my coat from off the hook next to my front door. I headed down my driveway and stepped into my jet black Toyota Corolla and drove up to Greenville. After 45 minutes I finally arrived at Yorkshire Circle. I looked at the numbers along the houses, 4810, 4812, 4816, and stopped at 4818. I walked over to the front door and stopped when I heard arguing behind it.

“What do you mean how dare I? How dare you!” the voice came from a woman screaming loudly.

“Oh really? How dare I? Well next time I’ll make sure not to come home early from work maybe then I won't find you in bed with Ted the man from the copy place!” a man’s voice screamed back.

“Stop exaggerating, we weren’t doing anything, I just had him over for coffee!”

“Well then why was he kissing you when I walked in?”

“He wasn’t! I had something in my teeth and he was checking it for me!”

“With his mouth!?”

“How dare you argue like this when our daughter is just upstairs”

“Oh, so now you act like you care about her? You were just making time with Ted and NOW you care about her?”

I cleared my throat and knocked on the door. A few moments later the door swung open and a man was standing in front of me with a
very annoyed look on his face.

“What the hell do you want?” he asked.

“Are you Sam Lastman?” I asked politely. "No, I’m Karl Lastman, Sam’s father, what the hell do you want with my daughter?”
I pulled out my 9mm and pointed it at him.

“Can you please get Sam for me, I have something I need to discuss with her.”
Karl’s eyes went wide for a second before he shouted, “Mary, call the police, get Samantha out of the house! This man-” he was cut off when I knocked him unconscious with the butt of my gun. I dragged his unconscious body into the house and closed the door.

“No Mary, don’t call the police,” I called out. I turned and saw a woman run to another room. I ran after her and knocked her unconscious in the same fashion as Karl. She fell onto a glass coffee table, shattering it, and sending shards of glass ricocheting in off of the walls and in all directions. “Sam!” I yelled, “where are you?” I heard a little gasp come from the kitchen, so I followed the sound. I looked around the white kitchen for Sam.

“I wonder where you are” I said in a playful manner, I could hear a sound coming from under the big white table. “Could you be under HERE!” I yelled the last word and looked under the table, it was empty. I looked up and saw a little girl, probably about 6 years, old run away from me. I smiled, I had her cornered against the fridge. I looked at the pictures on the fridge, none of them looked like they were a very happy family. All of the pictures had at least one person out of the three missing or looking like they wished they were missing.

“Sorry Sam, but there is something I need-” I was cut off as the fridge that Sam was cornered against sailed towards me. I managed to shield my face, but I was knocked to the ground and pinned by the large refrigerator.

“Bad move Sammy,” I said. I managed to get an arm free and reached for my handgun. I aimed and squeezed the trigger. Sam fell instantly with a hole in her head.

I struggled to get free from the heavy fridge on top of me when the window that I was facing shattered. I used my free hand to shield my eyes from the glass. When I looked over at the window I saw a tall girl standing inside the kitchen. She had long brown hair, and was very skinny. If I were to guess, I would say she was about 20 years old, and very pretty.

“Who the hell are you?” I asked her. She looked around, Sam was just out of her view, behind the fridge on top of me.

“Where is the girl?” she asked sternly.

“Who are you?” I asked again

“My name is Hannah Marks, I’m a collector. Now tell me where the girl is, and maybe I won't kill you.”

I slowly aimed my gun, hoping she wouldn’t see. “I have a better idea, I get out myself, and kill you, how’s that for a plan?” on the last word, I fired directly at her chest. She quickly jumped out of the way of the bullet, causing it to sail straight into the oven, knocking out the pilot light.

“So I see you have already have some abilities under your belt,” I said to her. She did a flip and jumped onto the fridge on top of me. The increased pressure completely knocked the wind out of me.

“I got a few under my belt. Now who are you?” she asked, not getting off the fridge.

“Why should I tell you?” I asked through short breaths. Hannah did another flip off of the fridge, moving it slightly as she did, freeing my other hand. She grabbed my wallet from off the floor.
Hannah looked out the window, her back to me. “Listen to me-” she paused to look at my driver’s license, “Steven, I have a dream. In that dream, I have every single D.O. and everybody worships me,” she kept talking and I slowly freed myself from underneath the fridge, trying not to make a sound. I crept out from underneath and crawled towards Sam’s body. I looked up, and Hannah was still talking with her back to me. I pulled the hunting knife from out of my pocket and made a quick incision underneath Sam’s chest but above her stomach. I reached into her body and pulled out a small red and blue ball, about the size of a marble. I looked at the Darwinian Orb and held it to my mouth.

“Do you understand what I mean?” Hannah asked, turning around. She looked at the fridge, then her eyes went wide and she looked over at me.

“GIVE ME THAT D.O.!” she yelled, running over. I quickly popped it in my mouth and swallowed. Hannah stopped in her tracks.

“There’s more than one way to get a D.O. I’ll just pull it out of you once I kill you.”
Suddenly I felt very hot, every muscle in my body felt like it was on fire. I fell to the floor and screamed, I couldn’t take the pain, and I just watched as Hannah closed in on me, holding a knife. The pain subsided immediately when she put the knife right against my neck.

“Any last words?” she asked me. She was stupid, she was standing in front of me.

“Just one. Moron,” I then punched her as hard as I could in the stomach. She flew back and hit the wall, making the dishes on a rack by the sink fall.

“Ow ow ow” I said, shaking my fist. “Hang on a second.”

I looked down at my fist and smiled. “I think the Darwinian Orb just kicked in,” I lifted the kitchen table with one hand and threw it at her. She easily jumped out of the way. She came at me again. I punched but she quickly moved her head out of the way and punched me. I threw my fist out again but she dodged it easily. She punched me a few more times and dodged a few more my blows before I got fed up.

“Stop!” I yelled. I pulled a match out from my pocket. “The pilot light has been out for about 10 minutes, if I light this match, the whole place goes up in smoke.”

“You’ll die too,” she replied, with a look of fear in her eyes.

“Maybe, but so will you. Get out of here now, and I won't do it.”

She looked at the match in my hand, then at the stove, then at the match again, then at the window. “You win this round Steven, but I will kill you, and I will get your D.O.”

“Maybe, but not tonight.” She hopped out the window, grabbed onto the drain pipe, and flipped herself onto the roof. I picked up my wallet and looked around the floor for any more of my possessions that had fallen. When I was sure that I had everything I headed out the door, stepping over Karl’s unconscious body. When I was outside I lit the match and threw it inside the house. I stepped into my car just in time to see the bits of rubble bounce off the hood as the house exploded.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 11:16:07 PM by Shanker »

Offline Hunter

• The RAFdoctor
  • God
  • The resident Furry!
    • My FA
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 04:22:53 AM »
wow! keep it coming man!

GESB Character: Subject #2218
Intro Rando Character: Hunter

'There are days I hate being me, but then again, I'm not you.'

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »
awesome stuff dude, really cool idea

keep it up this looks like a cool story

Offline ~

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Something slow an bittersweet
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 08:31:58 AM »
You... You killed a little girl...

STOP STEALING MY PLOT POINTS!  :P

Offline Venom

• Xtreme Member
  • We are Venom
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 06:15:39 PM »
i always kill little girls, like in every story i write from the perspective of a villain, i always kill innocent little girls. look at my first TC post, i kill Jenna Wong (granted she was 16) but still

Offline Xan

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • It's a Trap!
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 12:22:35 AM »
Very nice, Shanker, that's a very nice villain.

Offline Venom

• Xtreme Member
  • We are Venom
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 05:48:29 PM »
thanks guys, i'll probably write a new chapter in two weeks

Offline Kit Cloudkicker

• Reuben-Eater
  • Gold Donor
  • Cloud Surfer
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 06:01:27 PM »
Wow, Shanker! You are quite talented. I'm excited to read more!

Offline Venom

• Xtreme Member
  • We are Venom
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 08:21:52 PM »
Chapter 2- Gold

I was still getting used to my new found ability when the call came in. I jumped off my couch and sent it sailing backwards, knocking it into the wall. I winced but ran to phone before checking the wall.

“Hello, is this Mr. Tarrell?” the voice on the other end asked.

“Yes, it is, how may I help you?” I asked politely, walking with the phone over to the wall.

“Mr. Tarrell this is Norman Dossen, your landlord, it appears that you are behind on this month’s rent.”
I picked up the couch with my empty hand and put it back in place. I walked back to the wall and winced at the large dent. “Mr. Dossen, I sent you this month’s check last week.”

“Yes you did, unfortunately the check bounced. If you don't get me the rent by next week Mr. Tarrell, I’ll be forced to evict you. Have a nice day.” I heard a click signalling that he had hung up. I let out a scream and crushed the phone in my hand, splitting it completely in half. I looked down at the phone and cursed. What I needed was a good burger. I grabbed my hat and coat and walked out of my house. I got into my car and turned the ignition. The car sputtered then stopped before I had even pulled out of my parking space. I looked at my gas gauge and saw it sit down on E. I stepped out of my car and decided to walk. I went to a burger king and got a whopper. I had just sat down with my burger when my cell rang. I answered it and Darrell was on the other line.

“Hello Steven, I found another one,” Darrell said to me.

“Great, is it close? Cuz I'm kinda strapped for cash,” I answered.

“This one is in your town actually, 5328 Rodeo Drive. The name is Robert White, he’s rich, so he’ll have a lot security, be careful.”

“What is-” he hung up before I had a chance to finish my sentence.
The walk down to Rodeo drive took about 2 hours, when I got there, I cursed under my breath. The place was a mansion and had more security than the white house. I looked over the large iron gates. Two security guards where standing at the door, scanning the yard. One was walking around the grounds, and I'm sure there were several more around the back, and inside the building. I slowly walked toward the nearest parked car and slowly pushed it toward the gates from behind, stopping whenever the guard’s eyes turned to my direction. I waited for the guard walking around the grounds to be in front of the door with the other two. The guard stopped and started a quick conversation with the other two. None of them noticed as the dark red corvette flew towards them. All three were knocked unconscious when the car hit them. I walked toward the gate when I heard a girl’s voice from behind me.

“Thanks for taking out the guards for me, I was wondering how I was gonna take three at once,” she said.
I turned around and saw Hannah Marks standing behind me, dressed in skin tight black clothing.

“What are you doing here?” I asked her, annoyed.

“Probably the same thing you are, I’m here to get Robert’s D.O.” she answered

“This is mine, leave now!”

“No, I think I’m gonna take this one. Out of curiosity, how exactly were you planning on getting into the building and out without alerting the security. I mean, you must realize that the entire building is filled with security cameras, alarm systems, guard dogs, and plane old armed guards.”

“I uhh...”

She chuckled, “Well Steven, it was nice to see you again, but I'm going to go take that D.O. may the best one win.” She pulled a ski mask from out of her pocket and pulled it over her face. She blew me a kiss, grabbed onto the bars, and lifted herself 15 feet into the air and over the gate.

“And I will,” I answered quietly. I took my shirt off and put it around my face, covering everything but my eyes. I walked over to the gate and bent the iron bars apart, making a hole large enough for me to fit through and I walked over to the door. I looked up and saw a security camera just outside the door. I snuck around the house, watching out for guards and cameras until I found the circuit breaker. I opened it and looked inside. I shrugged and punched it in, causing lots of sparks, a pain in my hand and all the lights in the building to go out. I walked back over to the front door walked in. The fool relied so much on his security cameras that he didn’t even lock his door. I walked in and quickly backed against the wall when I saw a guard walk by with a flashlight. He looked around and then turned. I crept around but had to hide in another room when the emergency power kicked in. I swore under my breath and had to hide from the now active security cameras. I put my hand out the door of the room and grabbed a passing security guard.

“Where is he?” I yelled holding him to the ground.

“The library, he has a security hatch which he goes to when there are security breaches,” he said.

“How do I get into it?”

“You can't from the outside.”

I hit him on the head and knocked him unconscious.

I headed through the halls looking for the library, no longer caring about the cameras. I heard the guards when I got to the large hatch. I grabbed the handle and pulled. The entire door came off and sitting inside was a man in his late forties, wearing a crisp suit. I put the door back and looked at the man.

“Robert White?”

“Yes, now what the hell do you want,” he said to me. He levelled a small gun at me.
I raised my hands into the air and moved slowly to the floor. When I was down, I punched the floor, causing him to fall to the ground.

I walked over and put my foot on his head.

“Tell me what you can do, and I’ll make it quick. Otherwise it will be slow and painful.” I pressed down on his head and heard him scream. He reached over to a nearby shelf and touched it. From his finger a yellow streak shot out and turned the entire shelf to gold.

“I can turn any metal to gold,” he said.

“Thank you,” I replied. I pushed his head down with my foot, crushing it. I ripped open his stomach and pulled out the little yellow ball. I quickly swallowed the D.O. I stood up to go and the hatch opened. Hannah was standing in front of me.

“Damnit you got it first,” she pouted, “oh well, you’ll soon get caught.” She smiled and ran away. I pulled back my foot and kicked a hole in the wall of the vault. I jumped out the hole and into the yard. I made a dash for home and made it back without being spotted.