Author Topic: The Sharing  (Read 2716 times)

Offline Whammy

• Surrender or Die!
    • Persona Lascivio
The Sharing
« on: August 13, 2008, 08:49:49 PM »
I was wondering just how is the Sharing structured? I got a basic idea, but I was wondering if you all could help me out by giving me some detail, or telling which books have a good amount of information about it.
Currently RAFDating Tocade. :)

“There is no genius free from some tincture of madness”-Seneca

"Great wits are sure to madness near allied - And thin partitions do their bounds divide”-John Dryden

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”-Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
Re: The Sharing
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 08:58:18 PM »
I had to do a bit of research for this for my fic The Voluntary (*coughselfpromotioncough*).

The Sharing has it's large outer group. If you want to check it out you can just come to a meeting. When you come you fill out a form with information like your name, address, etc. etc. If you return for a second meeting you're assigned a full member who is kind of like your Big Brother (think of how fraternities work). He shows you around, gets you excited about full membership, and makes sure that you are having a great time.

After a certain number of meetings (in MM4 Back to Before Tobias says it's three, but I would think it would be a few more than that) you are required to either 1) become a full member or 2) quit.

If you decide to become a full member you are taken into a room where someone (ie Chapman) would explain the Yeerks to you in very convoluted terms, making it seem like giving up your freedom for a hostile alien takeover is no biggie. At that point you either agree and become voluntary or fight and become involuntary.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 11:03:58 PM »
i dont think they give much detail on the actual heirarchal structure of the sharing, if thats what you meant

check visser, that deals with the whole origin of the sharing so it might be there

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 07:48:16 AM »
Hehehe! Terenia, you are so funny. I am curious to read where your fanfic is at...
I think you summed it up what was written on The Sharing pretty well.
The aim is to emotionally hook the person to willingly surrender themselves in a noble cause that would benefit their lives. Pushing for a slow, but easy, silent and sneaky overtake.
A wise plan on Visser One's part... and no one would know she did it so she could protect her human offsprings...

Offline Whammy

• Surrender or Die!
    • Persona Lascivio
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 04:52:32 PM »
Yeah, thanks for the help Terenia. I was just asking cause I was thinking of starting a RP based within the Sharing.

And Duff I'll take a look at Visser this weekend when I can read it relatively uninterupted.

"Great wits are sure to madness near allied - And thin partitions do their bounds divide”-John Dryden

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”-Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 06:27:51 PM »
Hehehe! Terenia, you are so funny. I am curious to read where your fanfic is at...
I think you summed it up what was written on The Sharing pretty well.

My fanfic is here. I think I also posted a copy of it up on RAF Classic, but I can't remember...

No problem Whammy! I'd definitely be interested in an RP along those lines!!!

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 12:43:28 PM »
I'd be up for an RP like that, too  ;D

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline Whammy

• Surrender or Die!
    • Persona Lascivio
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 04:33:45 PM »
Good to know so I don't waste my time starting it for no one to join XD.

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 07:27:37 PM »
I already have this random old character from when I was younger, a young guy whose Yeerk is named Corliss from the UK who's involved in the development of the Sharing there, although his stint there is fairly short lived--he and his host end up informally kicked out of the Empire and formally become guerilla Yeerk rebels x3  Very Star Wars/Stargate inspired, although I created him and his sibling Myitt (hence the screen name) and the others before I ever knew about the Tok'ra from SG-1  ::)  Stoooolen.

So yeah.  I've got some characters I could easily throw into that kind of setting ^^

Offline Whammy

• Surrender or Die!
    • Persona Lascivio
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 07:30:16 PM »
Well the thread is up in the RP thread now...

Anyways, since we got this thread, let's talk more about the Sharing. How effective do you guys think the Sharing was in secretly invading the Earth and expanding Yeerk control?

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 07:50:04 PM »
I think, like most cults, it fed on the weaknesses of individual people.  People who had problems that they felt could be resolved by giving up their personal freedom to become a part of something that could presumably make them whole again.  Even those who just joined because it looked good on their college applications or whatever still inevitably ended up becoming Controllers, unless they decided to leave before it was too late.  Sad thing is there are plenty of people who would join something like that, being fed empty promises and vague ideas about becoming part of something.  Now, if I knew it had to do with aliens I might be tempted, myself...  ;D But, yeah.  I think it probably gathered most of the hosts the Yeerks had on Earth.  I always wondered, did Sharing chapters start to form in random, underdeveloped countries, like I dunno, places in rural Africa or the Middle East?  I also wonder if some groups of people, like maybe other real human cult groups, would expell the idea of the Sharing--or embrace it, making it an easier infestation process? 

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 11:18:43 PM »
I already have this random old character from when I was younger, a young guy whose Yeerk is named Corliss from the UK who's involved in the development of the Sharing there, although his stint there is fairly short lived--he and his host end up informally kicked out of the Empire and formally become guerilla Yeerk rebels x3  Very Star Wars/Stargate inspired, although I created him and his sibling Myitt (hence the screen name) and the others before I ever knew about the Tok'ra from SG-1  ::)  Stoooolen.

How do guerrilla Yeerk rebels keep themselves supplied with Kandrona rays?

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 11:19:50 PM »

So yeah.  I've got some characters I could easily throw into that kind of setting ^^

How do they keep themselves supplied with Kandrona rays?

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 11:28:59 PM »
Does the Sharing raise money for disaster relief?

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 07:39:42 PM »
I call on the Sharing to offer to mediate various international conflicts, such as Russia/Ukraine. Israel/Palestine, the Syrian Civil War, the Iraq Civil War, etc.  I am confident that the Sharing can get the various leaders of those factions to agree.  The Sharing's leaders just need to get each leader into a room by him or herself!