RAF Section > Suggestions / Feedback & Issues

Back Seat Moderating

(1/2) > >>

NateSean:
There's been a trend lately of relatively new members telling other members what not to post. There's a report button for a reason and the backseat moderating creates a sense of elitism that this forum doesn't need.

redtailedsaffa:
Thing is, the report button is a bit of an extreme measure, generally reserved for ad spam posts, or content that is obscene, derogatory, or openly rude and hateful (a little knowledge of RAF's history would help there). If someone is just politely telling someone that they're going off topic or they're being irrelevant, rude or annoying with the matter of what they post, that's fine, all it needs is a little talking out. That said, the report button does alert the staff to the presence of a critical post, so we don't want people pushing it for petty reasons.

--- Quote ---relatively new members telling other members what not to post
--- End quote ---

Perhaps you could just give us an example of this sort of thing? A screenshot with the names blacked out using MS Paint? Then it becomes a little clearer than this one-line post. I'm not saying you have evil intentions or anything, but we just want to know. I'm sure I speak on behalf of the whole forum here, even though I am not staff. And if this is just newbies learning the ropes, we might as well go easy on them. Have a three-strike policy before you, I dunno, minus karma or something. Hence my not understanding the "elitism" bit. Isn't that typically a characteristic of older members?

Dylan:
Eh, I might of did this :( I'm sorry :P :-[
I'll be the bigger person here and I'll own up to my mistake
[spoiler]
--- Quote from: Dpsb5 on June 19, 2015, 03:12:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: NateSean on June 19, 2015, 12:28:41 PM ---
--- Quote from: Dpsb5 on June 18, 2015, 02:51:41 PM ---
--- Quote from: Tim Bruening on June 18, 2015, 01:54:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: Dpsb5 on June 18, 2015, 09:15:10 AM ---Tim, you know that's a certain amount of dead posts you can bring back.

--- End quote ---

I don't see a rule specifically limiting how many "dead" threads I can revive.

--- End quote ---
IDK, just some of these posts are reaching a decade old!

--- End quote ---

There is no rule about reviving old discussions.

--- End quote ---
Eh, I'm sorry. I remember someone telling me that a while ago.

--- End quote ---
[/spoiler]

Cloak:
You know what, NateSean, I was going to let this whole thing slide. Didn't want to get involved with another Almighty Queen-esque debaucle.

Then I saw you had the audacity to accuse other members of backseat moderating, when the ONLY person I've really seen doing what you describe is YOU. And I know you've accused me of backseat moderating three years ago, and I was only telling Cornson (who hasn't been signed in for a while now) that double-posting is typically something to be avoided. Now I've seen you've taken it upon yourself to smite everyone you percieve to be "backseat moderating".

I mean, really how is what you are doing any different?

Dylan:
I owned up to my mistake. If what CloakedFigure is saying about you is true, then it's pretty b!tchy, hypocritical, and petty for you to be complaining about my coment. :mad:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version