Author Topic: Alien Civil Rights  (Read 3337 times)

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
Alien Civil Rights
« on: October 22, 2008, 05:28:54 AM »
Something that interested me at the very end of the series was the exposure of humanity, finally, to extraterrestrials.  The entire planet, that is.  The last few chapters made a small effort to describe the civil treatment of aliens visiting or living on the planet, such as Cassie's involvement with the Hork-Bajir in Yellowstone, alien tourism (humans visiting the Hork-Bajir, rich Andalites coming to Earth and going crazy over Cinnabon).  Arbron, as a Taxxon, is killed by a poacher in the Amazon.  The rest of the Taxxons are snakes in the rainforest.  It really changes the awareness of humanity, and apparently brings out both its curiosity and its darker side. 

What kinds of rights do you think would have to be set up for aliens living permanently on the planet, or aliens visiting?  How would different countries react, and what about all those crazy UFO X-Files groups, finally having proof? 

I mean, say if Yeerk nothlits were allowed to live on the planet--would they receive special rights as citizens of whatever country they lived in?  Can Andalites become permanent citizens?  What if Yeerks could remain in their hosts in special cases, and wanted to apply for health insurance or a job, do they have to send in two applications?  Are aliens discriminated against or attacked, or allowed to marry?  Are there rallies defending aliens in the post-war Animorphs world?

Discuss!   ;D

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline Shock

• Xtreme Member
  • Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
Re: Alien Civil Rights
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 08:15:02 AM »
well, realisticly, (to non-yeerks) they will be discrimated against (racism is alive today and thats just based on how humans judge each other, now take something that isn't even remotely human and throw it into the mix) and even some backlash aganist this.

as for the yeerks, they will be akin to the nazis. no one wants them (who wants a brain controlling slug in your head anyways) and it's poltically correct to just kill them (andalites don't care for their well being and what makes you think that humans will be much better off?) so i really Really doubt that they will stick around on earth.

as for the national level, the U.N. would eventually come together and nations will take steps for rapid moderization and militaritizion of alien techology (only the andalites for now but once humanity gets going, it can pretty much trade with anyone. i wonder if the andalites will start being more...agressive in preventing humanity in getting weaponary from other species.) and go forth and conqure the comos and all that stuff

Cannibals are seriously messed up
[17:05:27] Reiyn: Shock's tact and diplomacy is unparalleled.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information. For in his heart, he dreams himself your master
Quote from: K.A. Applegate
So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack.

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 09:27:20 AM »
Good thread, it can help me for the game ;)

At the end of my fanfiction, I tried to imagine Earth 10 years after the war... Some Yeerks lived on Earth as nothlits but they were clandestins, they just hide themselves, and some group of Yeerks help them to have false papers and all that stuff. Humans usually hate them and do nothing for them, when they know they're Yeerks of course. Andalites still come to Earth and visit. And people who were Controllers and had the morph power still use it for fun or ... other things. So police have some problem with that ^^'
But I didn't imagine every cases... I'll have to, for the game...
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 10:36:38 AM »
Yea I cant imagine any yeerks staying, even if they wanted to they wouldnt have kandrona to survive

I think that people would fear the aliens alot, and fear can bring violence in a mob, so maybe something bad happens, maybe be start thinking it was their friendly neighborhood andalite, so they head to his house and kill him

Its kinda like people fearing muslims, they dont really understand them, but some kind of social stigma makes them fear them, so they turn their fear into violence

I think it would be interesting how different countries deal with the change in different ways, maybe some of them would just completely shut the aliens out

Offline Gaz

• RAF's Resident Coffee Addicted Pirate
  • God
  • Forsooth!
    • Rachel Recaps
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 12:09:59 PM »
This actually reminds me a lot of Babylon 5. There are a lot of people who get along with the different alien races, but there is a human organization called The Nightwatch. Pretty much an anti-alien group who want to kick the alien influence out of Earth so Earth can be itself.

I could see that same sort of situation happening in Animorphs in the future. There would be people who would accept the alien tourism/cooperation. But there would most certainly be a group of people who wouldn't want anything to do with them. Like a futuristic KKK for lack of a better comparison.

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 03:22:02 PM »
I'd like to think that maybe some Yeerks stayed on the planet, since they were given the option of surrendering and morphing, or going back to their homeworld.  Those who surrendered and morphed must have lived somewhere, especially if they morphed human.  But it would be very dangerous for them, of course, being still considered members of the race of creatures that attacked the planet.  We have a hard enough time dealing with humans who attack us.  I think it'd be much less likely that any Yeerks remained in their natural state on Earth, but there have been some pretty good fanfics about Yeerks being used by the government to control crime or otherwise being constructive.  Anyway they'd make good psychologists  ::)  Mostly I'd think the peace movement would be the candidates for this sort of thing in general. 

Lots of countries probably wouldn't want any number of Yeerks in their natural state hanging around on the planet without very strict supervision or for very unusual circumstances (Visser One/Three in prison), because if they got together they could...I dunno, conspire, make more Yeerks...

Hey Dameg you know I never really thought about all those humans who still have the morphing power...heheh, oops.  Juvenile delinquents who can turn into a tiger and mug someone...

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 05:54:51 PM »
Though it shames me to admit humans are notorious for violence for no other purpose but hatred (since, alas I am a human.  Or at least, once I was a human . . .), ranging of course from race to religion.  So, doesn't seem all that farfetched an idea that some humans would like to remove said aliens to "purify" the Earth.  They probably would use that term, "purify", too.

Hey Dameg you know I never really thought about all those humans who still have the morphing power...heheh, oops.  Juvenile delinquents who can turn into a tiger and mug someone...

Unless the muggee could turn into an elephant or rhino. . . . ;)

...I dunno, conspire, make more Yeerks...

Sounds reasonable to me -- it takes three Yeerks to reproduce, and they all aren't like Aftran, as we all seen.  Truth be told, at the end of the series I assumed all Yeerks on that Pool ship became deliberate nothlits, but I can be mistaken.

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline demos666

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Satan is dad, hell is my home.
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 06:48:21 PM »
the only problem with them reproducing is now
we have a tight relationship with are alien friends
and they might have a small problem with the yeerks
and can easily kill them all.
My Theme song is The Number Of The Beast-Iron Maiden
Save a fire, Burn a tree
I put the laughter in manslaughter
“I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter.” - Winston Churchill
"Vidi, Vici, Veni." - Julius Caesar
"Hope is the first step to disappointment" - Librarian, Blood Ravens

Offline Starsword

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 06:58:23 PM »
If the yeerks all become nothlits, then they cant die as yeerks. In order for yeerks to reproduce they have to die. They are killing their species by not allowing themselves to reproduce. IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE!!!!! AAAAHHHH
Until then we fight.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 08:16:47 PM »
I actually think some Yeerks might stay and remain in Yeerk form, but not necessarily by choice.

If there's one thing humans understand its how to use people to gain military prowess (hmm...sound like any other species we know?). There is a constant struggle for power in Earth and just because aliens are thrown into the mix, that doesn't mean all of the other problems go away.

So if, for example, the US had possession of the only Kandrona sources on Earth, and a Yeerk did not want to accept nothlitism but for whatever reason wanted to remain on Earth, I see a perfectly plausible situation.

Yeerks being used to uncover spies. Yeerks being placed in the minds of felons to keep them from committing crimes. Yeerks as torture "devices".

I don't think its too far of a stretch, knowing what humanity is capable of at times.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 09:23:38 PM »
Hey, was it you who wrote the fic about Yeerks in the heads of criminals post-war? XD  Whoever wrote that rocks.  Well, you rock, too, but you know what I mean  ;D  Extra brownie points for creativity, whoever that was.

Knowing humanity, I can definitely see any of those things happening  :-\

And Starsword there would still be Yeerks on the homeworld, the species wouldn't die...although I would understand if Yeerks on Earth didn't want to become human, but still wanted to remain peaceful.  They'd be dependent upon Kandrona but there are ways of getting it, making the generators, bartering with the Skrit Na or whatever.

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 10:12:38 PM »
I started writing a fanfic at some point about the Yeerk Peace Movement who remained as Yeerks fighting for the rights to have voluntary hosts. I never got very far, but I had some really neat ideas for it.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline zaprowsdower

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Ancient of Days
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 10:50:27 PM »
There would probably be some antialien backlash, but any deaths and I guarantee that the Andalite Goverment would definitely do somthing about it. :P

If it became enough of a diplomatic problem to halt information exchanges, it would become enough of a problem for different countries to turn the UN into a world government so that humans would be united for to make sure that the most important event in human history isn't underminded. It would also give us a more equal footing with the Andalites.
"United we stand, divided we fall". :)
Not caring about what's popular since 2006.

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 05:21:38 AM »
The Andalite government, yes, but what about any Yeerks, Hork-Bajir, or snake-Taxxons on the planet?  Would the Brazilian government set up provisions against killing anacondas that start to speak Taxxon at you? xP  What about if there are Yeerks, nothlit or not, still on the planet, and some crazies kill one?  Is that as much of a crime as killing a human?  I'd hope so but who knows!  The Yeerks attacked our planet but they are still sentient creatures, and hopefully peaceful, almost human themselves if they've become fully trapped in human morph.  Interesting to think about.

Offline Starsword

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 07:13:31 AM »
And Starsword there would still be Yeerks on the homeworld, the species wouldn't die...although I would understand if Yeerks on Earth didn't want to become human, but still wanted to remain peaceful.  They'd be dependent upon Kandrona but there are ways of getting it, making the generators, bartering with the Skrit Na or whatever.

I suppose if they stayed on the homeworld but then they wouldn't have the joys of sight and such without conquering species again.
Until then we fight.