Author Topic: Thoughts on the ending  (Read 22563 times)

Offline EscafilDevice

Re: The ending
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2008, 04:26:08 PM »
uh...I'd be more please if he went to jail. sounds...ironic, I guess is the word. after all the evil he did, everyone expects him to die. no, he just ends up seving time in prison.

I don't personally agree with capital punishment - I know this isn't the place to discuss that, but I figured I should make that known - but I thought that Visser Three/One should've died. It just makes for such an anticlimatic ending for Visser Three/One to die in prison.

Offline CounterInstinct

« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2008, 08:08:17 PM »
Wars are never climactic. There is no final battle between good or evil. As Jake pointed out, at first people at war think of it as just a comic book battle or a chess game, where in the end, good triumphs over and evil bites the dust. There is a lot of high fives, celebration.... etc....

But in real war, as Jake points out, turns out to be the one who poison's people's lakes, burns farms... etc.
No clean climactic battle.

If there was ever a climactic battle in Animorphs, I'd hate K.A for making it ANOTHER video game war story.... where everything ends like cotton candy.

My grandfather was part of a war between Americans and the Japanese here in the Philippines. Part of the HUKs in case anybody knows about Philippine history (which I doubt). He lost a lot of friends/body parts of friends in that war, I believe, and I swear, he NEVER SPOKE again. One word, two words, no more than that.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 08:13:52 PM by CounterInstinct »
I'm just a writer, and my main goal was always to entertain. But I've never let Animorphs turn into just another painless video game version of war, and I wasn't going to do it at the end. I've spent 60 books telling a strange, fanciful war story, sometimes very seriously, sometimes more tongue-in-cheek. I've written a lot of action and a lot of humor and a lot of sheer nonsense. But I have also, again and again, challenged readers to think about what they were reading. To th

Offline EscafilDevice

« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2008, 08:39:18 PM »
Wars are never climactic. There is no final battle between good or evil. As Jake pointed out, at first people at war think of it as just a comic book battle or a chess game, where in the end, good triumphs over and evil bites the dust. There is a lot of high fives, celebration.... etc....

But in real war, as Jake points out, turns out to be the one who poison's people's lakes, burns farms... etc.
No clean climactic battle.

If there was ever a climactic battle in Animorphs, I'd hate K.A for making it ANOTHER video game war story.... where everything ends like cotton candy.

My grandfather was part of a war between Americans and the Japanese here in the Philippines. Part of the HUKs in case anybody knows about Philippine history (which I doubt). He lost a lot of friends/body parts of friends in that war, I believe, and I swear, he NEVER SPOKE again. One word, two words, no more than that.

I'm not disagreeing with you about the nature of war. However, I think that K.A's way of making a "realistic ending" was badly-done.

A good writer can make a realistic war ending that doesn't make all of the characters dead or depressed. I wasn't expecting a big, exciting war scene, I was expecting a battle scene that didn't suck. 

(On the other hand, it could be said that she didn't even need to make it realistic because of the nature of the series.)

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2008, 08:42:43 PM »
they're guerilla (ax was right about guerilla and gorilla) fighters. only about 20 fighters. how do you do a big war scene with like 20 fighters? maybe a battle like the one in matcom in book 10, but a big war scene? even if you add in the hork-bajir, they're less than a thousand. and taxxons aren't very good fighters.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2008, 08:49:08 PM »
they're guerilla (ax was right about guerilla and gorilla) fighters. only about 20 fighters. how do you do a big war scene with like 20 fighters? maybe a battle like the one in matcom in book 10, but a big war scene? even if you add in the hork-bajir, they're less than a thousand. and taxxons aren't very good fighters.
She could have written something good for Doubleday's forces besides being sitting ducks for the sake of a diversion.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2008, 08:53:42 PM »
there were only about a hundred...wait let me check...oh. no it's just less than a thousand. adding a total of a bit more than a thousand.

Offline EscafilDevice

« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2008, 08:54:53 PM »
She could have written something good for Doubleday's forces besides being sitting ducks for the sake of a diversion.

And also, sending just Rachel in was pretty stupid.

You don't need everyone in a diversion. Jake should've sent in some Auxilary Animorphs to assist the Animorphs on the Pool Ship and sent in Ax with Rachel. Then Ax could've killed Visser Three.

And regardless of whether or not it was wise to just send in Rachel, I don't believe that she could've died so easily. Rachel kicked a lot of ass throughout the series, I just don't buy it.

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2008, 08:58:01 PM »
if you send in ax with rachel, how does he kill visser three? visser three's on the pool ship. ax is on the blade ship.

she was bit by a cobra. in the eyes. so she had to demorph. and as a human...well no match for a polar bear.

Offline EscafilDevice

« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2008, 09:00:21 PM »
if you send in ax with rachel, how does he kill visser three? visser three's on the pool ship. ax is on the blade ship.

she was bit by a cobra. in the eyes. so she had to demorph. and as a human...well no match for a polar bear.

I'm saying that she could've written it differently.

Rachel's past character leads me to doubt that she could've gone done so easily. She probably should've gone in as elephant.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2008, 09:02:05 PM »
Rachel could have done the whole thing by herself. K.A. just needed to write in that the polar bear morpher died instead of just being wounded. Then Rachel takes down the buffalo by catching it by the horns, throwing it to the side, and ripping its throat out. Then take out the two lionesses. Also have Tom fall unconscious so he could be picked up and carried out later.

Or morph an elephant and crush them all.

There were multiple ways it could be believably written for her to survive.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2008, 09:07:13 PM »
she didn't have time to kill all of them before tom morphed cobra. once he was in cobra, well it lead to rachel having to demorph. and unless they were all killed, rachel would not survive as a human.

as for elephant...I don't really have anything to use as a comparism. I guess she could handle both lionesses no prob. not sure about buffalo or polar bear yet.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2008, 09:12:31 PM »
Like I said, it could have been written differently. Screw the spitting cobra, and just have Tom get knocked out.

It just seems wrong that someone with her experience didn't even kill any of them without help.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2008, 09:13:53 PM »
how does tom get knocked out?

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2008, 09:20:56 PM »
how does tom get knocked out?
He could fail to dodge. Rachle smacks him good instead of missing or just kind of running into him.

Instead of putting in the line where she hits his back, it could say she hits his head. Thus rendering him unconscious.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #104 on: July 04, 2008, 09:26:11 PM »
doesn't tom bite her eyes before rachel hits his back? and I doubt there would've been much force in that hit.