Author Topic: Thoughts on the ending  (Read 22563 times)

Offline Uza-chan

• Kiley can spot a liar from a mile away >:O
Re: The ending
« Reply #150 on: January 15, 2009, 03:03:13 PM »
Jake and Cassie. I understand that the guilt-ridden Jake couldn't find his way around Cassie anymore, but what about vice-versa? After all they've been trough for like, forever, had their lives changed like, together, Cassie simply moved to another man? That's so wrong.

I disliked Cassie going with another man but I could understand. I mean, remember in book 50? Cassie's last book, Rachel hadn't even died yet but Cassie was already saying that Jake wasn't "her Jake" anymore and that he was different. So it didn't happen all of the sudden or anything.

I also dislike but understand why Rachel was the one to die. I mean, how many times has one of the other characters or Rachel herself wondered what would happen to her if the way ended? And how many times did they say there was "something dark" inside of her? Yes, it's depressing and I hate it, but it makes sense ^^;;

I think Jake'd be more depressed if Cassie died :P Though the irony would be funny lol. And if Tobias died, well, Rachel would go ballistic on Jake and probably end up fighting him. Ax dying just... wouldn't make sense imo. Jake though would make sense. Him fighting to free his brother to the death. Marco... no, just no. lol, I don't want him to die XD

One thing I will mention that made me go WTF while reading the book was the fact that they put Visser three/one to court. I didn't even read that part, I just skipped over it. xP

Offline KOFSoldier

« Reply #151 on: January 15, 2009, 04:08:19 PM »
Jake and Cassie. I understand that the guilt-ridden Jake couldn't find his way around Cassie anymore, but what about vice-versa? After all they've been trough for like, forever, had their lives changed like, together, Cassie simply moved to another man? That's so wrong.

I disliked Cassie going with another man but I could understand. I mean, remember in book 50? Cassie's last book, Rachel hadn't even died yet but Cassie was already saying that Jake wasn't "her Jake" anymore and that he was different. So it didn't happen all of the sudden or anything.

I also dislike but understand why Rachel was the one to die. I mean, how many times has one of the other characters or Rachel herself wondered what would happen to her if the way ended? And how many times did they say there was "something dark" inside of her? Yes, it's depressing and I hate it, but it makes sense ^^;;

I think Jake'd be more depressed if Cassie died :P Though the irony would be funny lol. And if Tobias died, well, Rachel would go ballistic on Jake and probably end up fighting him. Ax dying just... wouldn't make sense imo. Jake though would make sense. Him fighting to free his brother to the death. Marco... no, just no. lol, I don't want him to die XD

One thing I will mention that made me go WTF while reading the book was the fact that they put Visser three/one to court. I didn't even read that part, I just skipped over it. xP

Now wouldn't that have been interesting?

I mean, Cassie's ending was 1000% predictable, but I'm still glad she made it. Everyone was wondering how Rachel would fare after the war, and this was our chance to finally find out.

It would've been a great chance to show how war can have an effect on people psychologically. I personally think Tobias should've been killed, and Rachel should have gone crazy or attacked Jake or something.

But, all in all, the ending wasn't bad, it just didn't feel.......complete .

I'd gladly shell out $30-$40 for a remake of the final book. But of course, for that amount of money, I want a book that ties up everything and goes deeper into the psyche of everyone. Plus, aa author's note from KA at the end of what she thought of Animorphs, it's success, andwhy she picked Rachel would be nice as well.

Offline adamjared

• RAF Ancient
  • Gold Donor
  • .: One of the few remaining RAF Elders :.
« Reply #152 on: February 21, 2009, 01:20:39 PM »
shes cant write she is not and will never be a writer shes just a wanna-be with some good ideas and i doubt she even thought of most of them if she couldnt think of an ending better than that.
i hate to burst bubbles but thats why there arent anymore animorphs despite the fact people are still talking about them.because scholastic knows she cant write they probaly have bags of hate mail because of this woman and than she tries to put the ending off on us saying its a war blah blah it aint suppose to be a happpy ending.NO its not is a SCIENCE FICTION SERIES for CHILDREN  you stupid woman dont make up excuses because your lazy and childish for that matter excuses why you cant write is all they are she doesnt deserve a penny for all those books i would rob her if i knew how to find her.she owes an ending i read these books a long time and paid for the majority and i was ripped off.writers arent suppose to write books for them selves im a comedian and im not gonna tell jokes that just suit me and forget everyone else "i can" but I DONT GET PAID and neither should she. and as far as if you dont like the ending write it yourself i say we should find another K.A. from fanfics RAF can do ti see them do alot of things here,they really do. i can get scholastics mailing addresses and email and well bombard them until we get the animorphs back hell they can throw the stupid B**** name on there still i dont care as long as it has and ending where it ends or at least goes on through more books and it it too much to ask to make sense??? huh anyone with me on that.and im getting the addresses and anyone who will write or read fanfics to send in,write letters basiclly help me harrass them till we get what we want let me know cause im not takeing that and im send K.A. soooooooooooo much hate mail i dont need help with that lol

Ok.. uh good luck with finding that address there buddy. I think i may be the only one on here who might even know that. And emailing scholastic won't do anything. KA and MG aren't even with them much anymore. Maybe Roscoe Riley Rules is published through Scholastic... i dunno. But i'm gonna stop here before i say something that would help this dude find them.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #153 on: February 21, 2009, 07:52:46 PM »
That would be a good plan, EtI.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Aleron

• Thunder and Lightning
« Reply #154 on: February 24, 2009, 03:25:35 AM »
Most of 54 makes sense.  It's realistic, at least as far as the characters go.  Or at least, as realistic and uncheapened as a sci-fi series like Animorphs could be.

It just wasn't complete.  My mind said yes but my heart screamed no.  And I think KA knew that.  Maybe she left it that way on purpose for fan fic writers.  Maybe she got to the end of the book and hit writers block.  Maybe she just didn't care and wanted to move on to Remnants.

Either way, we'll probably never know.

Offline ChimichangaChupacabra

• Banned
« Reply #155 on: February 24, 2009, 04:41:48 AM »
*snarl*
"WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?!" - Bale.

Offline JFalcon

• I need to get out more . . .
« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2009, 10:07:39 AM »
It just wasn't complete.  My mind said yes but my heart screamed no.  And I think KA knew that.  Maybe she left it that way on purpose for fan fic writers.  Maybe she got to the end of the book and hit writers block.  Maybe she just didn't care and wanted to move on to Remnants.

I firmly believe that even if she wanted to write more Animorphs schoolastic would raise a wary eyebrow to the idea just given the level of agression some fans have shown the final book.

I also suspect that she might have wanted to continue the series after 54, sort of an Animorphs II similar to what Kishimoto did with Naruto/Shippuden but probably got too ticked off at her fans or indeed couldn't get permission from the publisher, I was pretty surprised at how upset she seemed in her response to fan criticism, I can see her personally not wanting to continue the series after that alone.

But then again I also believe that Animorphs was as deserving of an EU as Star Wars, I guess that's where fan fiction comes into play but seeing some real books on shelves would have been amazing, how many ghost writers did she use that could have taken up the slack? Battletech had multiple writers in the same universe using the same rules and general storyline while each writer still managed to tell their own tale in an interesting way without stepping on anyone else's toes (Except at the very end when half of them quit) but meh.

We just have to enjoy what we've got and imo what we've got isn't anything to scoff at. Regardless of how you feel about the ending itself the series as a whole is fantastic.
"I would be a ghost of this dynasty before I'd be a general of rebels and traitors!" ~ Pang De, Romance of the Three Kingdoms

"My brain! My brain! Me hurty to think!" ~ Zim, Invader Zim

"Fight it off? You must have me confused with someone who's brave." ~ Church, Red vs Blue

Offline KOFSoldier

« Reply #157 on: February 24, 2009, 03:27:20 PM »
I agree, JF, I just still don't see why she was so surprised.

I mean, dont get me wrong, I'd probably be just as upset as she was (if not more so), but I'd have definitely seen it coming. I mean, she did end the series in a cliffhanger. EVERYONE hates cliffhangers, especially one that ends the series.

I'm sure she did have something planned (maybe still does), but we'll have to wait and see. I mean, she could've easily written and extra two or three pages and had all of them killed (except Cassie, but thank God she didn't).

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #158 on: February 24, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »
I can't say I sumpathise with her much for being angry with her fan's response. She seemed to have forgotten part of what made her series so popular early on.

I hope the main reason she didn't continue isn't because she was agry. That's no reason to not continue. She would just need to go back to doing it the way she started doing it. Add more comedy and non war related stuff to balance out the dark side of her series. And for goodness sake, give us some closure at the end, with the Anis coming out better off after the war. All of them. Not just the one character that represented herself.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline ChimichangaChupacabra

• Banned
« Reply #159 on: February 24, 2009, 07:04:26 PM »
She seemed to have forgotten part of what made her series so popular early on.

What hooked readers early on was pretty cover illustrations of kids turning into animals.  Don't kid yourself.  A ten-year-old sees that in a library/bookstore when their parents/teachers are trying to get them to read something, of course they're going to be like "cool, this looks better than friggin' Babysitter's Club or whatever".

The initial hook was a gimmick.  The series became more than that, by about book 5-6, when the story started falling into place.  The invasion became more than just a plot gimmick to allow kids to turn into animals, and rather became something worthwhile and meaty in its own right.

She didn't forget anything, she was just a believer in natural progression.
"WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?!" - Bale.

Offline Hylian Dan

« Reply #160 on: February 25, 2009, 01:10:53 AM »
I got a little irritated with the way I saw people react to the ending of The Incredibles. As a refresher, the ending shows how the family of The Incredibles is getting along after the story's conflict, living out their everyday lives with renewed happiness and confidence. Then, a new villain known as the Underminer appears out of nowhere and delivers his monologue about how he's about to carry out some great evil plan. The Incredibles look at each other and grin as they put on their masks, and the movie ends.

And people seemed to be bothered by it, expecting that there had to be a sequel to resolve this ending. But that was an ending; it wasn't about what was going to happen next, it was about the tone that was being sent, emphasizing what the characters have been through and what they stand for.

Animorphs used the exact same ending format. The One is more or less the same as the Underminer, albeit with several more layers of meaning. The ending isn't about what's going to happen next, it's about who the characters are and what they stand for. Harry Potter got a softer ending because a major theme of that story was the significance of parenting, and the ending emphasized that theme. Animorphs was about "Live free or die." The ending was congruent with that.

K.A. gave Animorphs the ending that suited the series. Think about the experience of reading it: each chapter lasted only a few pages, and the vast majority of the chapters ended in a cliffhanger. Reading the books consisted of jumping from one cliffhanger to another. The dramatic cliffhanger was a staple of K.A.'s writing style. The ending was congruent with that.

The books were about the Animorphs being faced with some impossible situation, coming up with some insane plan, Rachel saying "Let's do it," and Marco saying "Are you INSANE?!!" The books end with the Animorphs aboard The Rachel, and Marco groaning as he recognizes Rachel's grin on Jake's face. The ending was congruent with the books that came before it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 01:14:23 AM by Hylian Dan »

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #161 on: February 25, 2009, 05:13:51 AM »
I got a little irritated with the way I saw people react to the ending of The Incredibles. As a refresher, the ending shows how the family of The Incredibles is getting along after the story's conflict, living out their everyday lives with renewed happiness and confidence. Then, a new villain known as the Underminer appears out of nowhere and delivers his monologue about how he's about to carry out some great evil plan. The Incredibles look at each other and grin as they put on their masks, and the movie ends.

And people seemed to be bothered by it, expecting that there had to be a sequel to resolve this ending. But that was an ending; it wasn't about what was going to happen next, it was about the tone that was being sent, emphasizing what the characters have been through and what they stand for.

Animorphs used the exact same ending format. The One is more or less the same as the Underminer, albeit with several more layers of meaning. The ending isn't about what's going to happen next, it's about who the characters are and what they stand for. Harry Potter got a softer ending because a major theme of that story was the significance of parenting, and the ending emphasized that theme. Animorphs was about "Live free or die." The ending was congruent with that.

K.A. gave Animorphs the ending that suited the series. Think about the experience of reading it: each chapter lasted only a few pages, and the vast majority of the chapters ended in a cliffhanger. Reading the books consisted of jumping from one cliffhanger to another. The dramatic cliffhanger was a staple of K.A.'s writing style. The ending was congruent with that.

The books were about the Animorphs being faced with some impossible situation, coming up with some insane plan, Rachel saying "Let's do it," and Marco saying "Are you INSANE?!!" The books end with the Animorphs aboard The Rachel, and Marco groaning as he recognizes Rachel's grin on Jake's face. The ending was congruent with the books that came before it.
easily one of the best posts ever...

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #162 on: February 25, 2009, 08:36:45 AM »
I was actually not bothered by the ending of The Incredibles. I didn't think of that as a cliffhanger. Now if the Underminer had grabbed one of the members of the family, and held him/her hostage as he threatened the city or whatever, then that would have bothered me.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline JFalcon

• I need to get out more . . .
« Reply #163 on: February 25, 2009, 12:22:16 PM »
I don't know, I never felt like Incredibles had a cliff hanger ending, the Underminer didn't feel threatening, he seemed goofy, it'd be a waste to make a sequel on his account. Whereas The One had Ax, and could have been the set up for a great sequel.

And while you spend like an hour with the Incredible family (or . . . whatever their last names were, I forgot) before the end some people spent years with the Animorphs so you can't really blame them for being more emotional when Animorphs ended.
"I would be a ghost of this dynasty before I'd be a general of rebels and traitors!" ~ Pang De, Romance of the Three Kingdoms

"My brain! My brain! Me hurty to think!" ~ Zim, Invader Zim

"Fight it off? You must have me confused with someone who's brave." ~ Church, Red vs Blue

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #164 on: February 25, 2009, 01:57:54 PM »
I don't know, I never felt like Incredibles had a cliff hanger ending, the Underminer didn't feel threatening, he seemed goofy, it'd be a waste to make a sequel on his account. Whereas The One had Ax, and could have been the set up for a great sequel.

And while you spend like an hour with the Incredible family (or . . . whatever their last names were, I forgot) before the end some people spent years with the Animorphs so you can't really blame them for being more emotional when Animorphs ended.
I agree with this. The underminer seems like just a flunky type villain. Not a real threat to the world. Wheras the One has Ax, and the power to assimilate anyone it comes into contact with.

Ani-Master 2014!