Author Topic: Alien Populations  (Read 981 times)

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
Alien Populations
« on: February 14, 2011, 08:08:12 PM »
     I'm going to start this off with a few facts:
     Planet Earth: Holding a population well into the billions
                     : Most of the planet is covered in water, but has several continents
                     : Earth has hundreds of countries
                     : Most countries have their own system of government and various laws that its people have to abide by

That being said, on with the topic. I never understood how Alien governments worked. I realize, of course, this is a sci-fi series, and politics tend to be boring wherever you are in the universe (that's just the way I see, feel free to disagree) but I never understood how one government system--such as the Andalite Electorate-- can govern an entire speices that numbers well into the hundred millions--unless I'm mistaken. Obviously Earth is different from the Andalites and the Yeerks (who aren't nearly as numerous) or the Hork-Bajir (tiny population [especially after the Alloran incident] and no official form of government outside the elders that they listen to) but you'd think the Andalites would have multiple systems of government; especially since they have less water on their planet.

Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline Darth Zakryn

• Banned
Re: Alien Populations
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 09:07:54 PM »

That was a good point. The Andalites have a war council, but is it the same council whose head Ax talked to in #8? Maybe the War Council is the head of the military, and there are multiple councils, like the prequels era Jedi Order in Star Wars.

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 09:18:26 PM »
     Well, I'm not sure about Star Wars, since I'm not much of a fan. But I just can't see one body of government leading millions of people. One body leading a country, sure. But not an entire planet. That's unrealistic--and that's saying something, considering it's Animorphs :P
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline Darth Zakryn

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 01:28:17 AM »

Maybe they have sectors? Or quadrants? Something like the Agricultural Council handles certain agricultural zones? Or something like that?

Offline Morilore

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 01:58:35 AM »
     Well, I'm not sure about Star Wars, since I'm not much of a fan. But I just can't see one body of government leading millions of people. One body leading a country, sure. But not an entire planet. That's unrealistic--and that's saying something, considering it's Animorphs :P
If you are saying that there should be multiple countries, consider this: the modern-day People's Republic of China is a single unitary government that is responsible for 1.3 billion people.  That whole order of magnitude is considered extraordinary in the Animorphs universe.

Offline Unknown User

• RAF's Official Ellimist Expert
  • Xtreme Member
  • ^-^
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 08:53:32 AM »
Of course the electorate would have smaller sub-councils that oversee local affairs, but why couldn't it rule the whole planet? It would just be like a really big country. If all areas of the planet agree to the authority of the council, there is nothing unrealistic about it. There is no law of sociology that says that a government becomes inneffective when population reaches a certian point. The only thing neccesary for the government to keep control of a large population is consent from 85-100% of it's citizens and a bueracracy that increase in proportion to the number of people that live under the rule of the government.
Meh.

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 10:45:31 AM »
Plus, again I cite that, Andalites have been around tens millions of years: that's a lot of time to make societal shifts.
I mean futurama has planet wide governments by the year 3000-humans may be "quick" but I'm sure Andalites could develop something like that over the eons.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....