Author Topic: Yeerks and chemicals  (Read 2345 times)

Offline wolfev

Yeerks and chemicals
« on: July 30, 2008, 04:48:08 PM »
This is something I was wondering. Yeerks are much smaller than humans. However since they are connected to the human brain they should be getting all chemicals that are in it. Assuming that a controller would need to keep up appearances then a few should should be exposed high doses to alcohol and drugs that though non lethal to humans should poison the yeerk in the their head. Why does this not occur?
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]https://vspace.vassar.edu/evwaldron/warriors/banner2.jpg[/img]

Offline Yorick Brown

Re: Yeerks and chemicals
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 05:00:11 PM »
Why SHOULD alcohol and drugs be lethal to Yeerks?
This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 05:14:05 PM »
For once, I agree with Yorick. Why is alcohol lethal to Yeerks?

Offline Qwerty the Charliecorn

• The cannibalistic pipe-dweller
  • Xtreme Member
    • My deviantART
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 05:34:03 PM »
Hmm... Good point. Just because alcohol can be lethal to humans, doesn't mean it's lethal to Yeerks.

But don't you think there had to have been some sort of chemical that would kill a Yeerk, other than the crap in oatmeal?
If you are not in my avatar, and would like to be, or if you changed your name and avatar and would like me to update it, PM me. I cannot add or change anyone at the moment as I lost the file I use for this, but if people still want in, I'll work on it.

I am RAFmarried to my sweet shnukums, Rachel. ;D

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 05:42:45 PM »
well what chemical in instant maple and ginger oatmeal makes the yeerks go insane? We find that, and we might find other things that are lethal to them.

Offline wolfev

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »
Because its lethal in high doses to humans and is highly reactive. Remember they have neurons too and DNA. There are other chemicals too that I wonder about. Specifically if Yeerks are similar enough to mind meld then their neurons must be similar to ours. If so they how come when Visser one does drugs she does not get addicted to them as well.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]https://vspace.vassar.edu/evwaldron/warriors/banner2.jpg[/img]

Offline Qwerty the Charliecorn

• The cannibalistic pipe-dweller
  • Xtreme Member
    • My deviantART
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 05:52:23 PM »
Hmm... That's also a good point. Now I am slightly confused.

Do you think bleach would kill a Yeerk?
If you are not in my avatar, and would like to be, or if you changed your name and avatar and would like me to update it, PM me. I cannot add or change anyone at the moment as I lost the file I use for this, but if people still want in, I'll work on it.

I am RAFmarried to my sweet shnukums, Rachel. ;D

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 05:53:02 PM »
The Yeerks control certain body systems more consciously than humans.  Perhaps they are able to just funnel the toxins away from themselves.  Or they just join The Sharing and "turn their life around".  ;D
"Well, that idea might make a stupid idea feel better about itself."
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."
"Your conscience calls you on the telephone?"

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 05:56:27 PM »
Hmm... That's also a good point. Now I am slightly confused.

Do you think bleach would kill a Yeerk?

I don't know about bleach, but the chlorine in the pool definitely did something to the yeerk.

Offline wolfev

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 06:01:39 PM »
Exactly, it destroys the mucus membrane on the yeerks or something. Now think about this chlorine in pools is just a minor annoyance to eyes but alcohol really hurts. Since it crosses the blood brain barrier should it therefore get on the yeerks skin and hurt it.

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 11:58:24 PM »
If a human drinks alcohol, the alcohol itself isn't going to the human's brain, so it's not going to kill the Yeerk unless the human totally binges and dies of alcohol poisoning or something...but if you dunk a Yeerk in isopropyl alcohol, or hell, even a beer?  I don't know...it would probably absorb pretty quickly, and either kill it, or make it very drunk.  Isopropyl would probably kill it more than a beer, I'd imagine x3  I toyed with the idea of naturally occurring alcohol (yeast/fermentation plus fallen fruit or dead things in Yeerk pool water somewhere, stagnant?) on the Yeerk homeworld...because I think waaaaaay too much about this crap x3

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline Kharina

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 03:22:28 PM »
Because its lethal in high doses to humans and is highly reactive. Remember they have neurons too and DNA. There are other chemicals too that I wonder about. Specifically if Yeerks are similar enough to mind meld then their neurons must be similar to ours. If so they how come when Visser one does drugs she does not get addicted to them as well.

It's doubtful whether the Yeerk actually shares blood connections with the human.  It is possible they don't have a blood connection, meaning they aren't affected by anything in the human bloodstream.  However, if so then how does oatmeal affect them?  Perhaps it has particular qualities that make it affect electrical impulses in the brain in some way that is detrimential to a Yeerk.

I imagine alcohol would harm a Yeerk if you poured it onto the Yeerk's body, but it probably doesn't actually reach the Yeerk through the host's bloodstream.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 03:26:54 PM »
This may be slightly off topic, but what does anyone think of Yeerks dying due to host death. If a host dies, and the Yeerk doesn't get out of its head really fast, it will die as well. What do you think it is about host brain death that can cause a Yeerk to die?

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 04:59:00 PM »
This may be slightly off topic, but what does anyone think of Yeerks dying due to host death. If a host dies, and the Yeerk doesn't get out of its head really fast, it will die as well. What do you think it is about host brain death that can cause a Yeerk to die?
I always imagined that they didn't die, but they can't get out, and in 3 days they die of kandrona starvation. So I think the problem is they can't get out if the host dies.

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 09:14:59 PM »

In Visser, Visser One mentions that it's very difficult for a Yeerk to leave a dying host before death reaches it as well.  I think once the host dies they immediately leave, because they don't want to die themselves, or they die because they didn't get out in time.  It probably has something to do with the Yeerk's neurons, it's actual brain or extensions of it, being directly connected to dying human neurons.  The same connection that allows a Yeerk to control its host will probably tie its life and brain function to its host's continued...brain functiony...stuff.

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash