Author Topic: Andalite Calendar and Dating system, and religion.  (Read 3257 times)

Offline Darth Revan

• Master of the Star Forge!
  • Gold Donor
  • Now you see the true Dark Lord of the Sith!
Re: Andalite Calendar and Dating system, and religion.
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2009, 12:11:20 PM »
modern andalites have fairly boring names for months and such

Well, May and June aren't exactly breath-taking names either ;D

I've always hated September, mostly 'cause Sept = 7 and September is not the 7th month.

well the whole reason i put this up, is help with the discrepancy between chapter 1 and 2 of HBC.

I fear this may just be a case of KA making up something cool on the fly, and not delving too far into it to make sure it corresponded correctly.
RAFengaged to Midnight_Huntress

Offline anijen21

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2009, 05:33:05 PM »
I haven't taken a latin class in like 4 years, but iirc when "september" was introduced as a month it was the seventh month, along with october-december, and then they added july and august and named them after the respective caesars

but it's been a really long time since I took latin
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline Darth Revan

• Master of the Star Forge!
  • Gold Donor
  • Now you see the true Dark Lord of the Sith!
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2009, 06:55:15 PM »
It may have been 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th, but not anymore, dammit!

It still pisses me off.
RAFengaged to Midnight_Huntress

Offline Jadedkoi

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2009, 07:23:23 PM »
If it helps the show I saw on NatGeo the other night said that most binary stars emit a circular trail of dust as they orbit each other, the path dictated by a larger star.

Oh, and could someone quote what's actually said about the suns and when they rise? It may be that Andal is orbiting between the two stars in the system.
Choose your enemies, your losses, and your regrets carefully; they will define you.

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2009, 07:17:12 AM »
we need either of the authors to do this at the very least.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitlekzrxgx4f?from=Main.SureWhyNot

Offline Yarin

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Per scientia totus est ostendo sum
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2009, 10:43:42 AM »
I watched that show
Live in peace and let your enemies be, but fiercely protect the ones you love. The Nyac Credo.

"Take me to jail please a Klingon is after me" Cave Guy Freakazoid  Freak-A-Panel.

"The fiction will see the real. The answer will question still."  Coheed and Cambria The Willing Well I: Fuel For The Feeding End 

The Pentagon has no contract with aliens or with afterlife entities... That I'm aware of... At this time

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
so we need to start summarising fanon theories and get them confirmed. I am now certain that Andalites have seasons, from the ellimist chronicles: concerned with keeping the fire going, with maintaining the roof of my little scoop, with carefully avoiding over feeding in dry weather, with tending the trees so they would drop their deliciousleaves at harrvest time..
My big one is the Andalite dates or this:

Chapter 1 of Hork-Bajir Chronicles   Chapter 2 of Hork-Bajir Chronicles
Andalite Year   8561.2   8563.5
Human Year   1966   1968
Taking into account that an Andalite year is 84 Earth Months (roughly 7 years on earth) we must conclude that since only 2 rather than 7 years have passed on Earth (between chapters 1 and 2 of HBC) that the final two digits of the Andalite year (1.2 and 3.5) have both changed we must conclude that not every digit on the Andalite date refers to years or months.
Perhaps the .2 and the .5 refer to days and the final 1 and 3 before the decimal point refer to months like this.
   Chapter 1 of Hork Bajir Chronicles   Chapter 2 of Hork Bajir Chronicles
Andalite Date   2nd day 1st month 856th year   5th day 3rd month 856th year
856*7=5992 human years since Andalites began counting dates: since Andalites are considerably older than humans we must conclude that this date refers to a historical event (similar to the Islamic calendar that counts from the Hijra) rather than mythological event (like the Hindu calendar that counts from the mythological death of Krishna).
Since each Andalite month lasts 252 days, 3rd month must be the 505th day of the year.
505+5=510. It is therefore the 510th day of the Andalite year in chapter 2 of the Hork-Bajir Chronicles. Since Chapter 1 took place 2nd of the 1st month of the same year to find out how many days have passed 510-2=508 days.
Now this still gives slight difficulty with the human date
Unfortunately 2 years have passed on earth (1966-1968) or approximately 730 days, unless you conclude that it was late 1966 or early 1968 respectively.
Chapter 1 must have occurred in the later part of 1966 let’s say around the 1st of December/336th day of the year of 1966. To find when in 1968 this must have occurred we do this 508-336=172. Therefore chapter 2 must have occurred approximately on the 172nd day of 1968, which is around May…
The latter sums are all a bit approximate, better maths or ideas or clarification would be most welcome.
However it should also be noted that in Chapter 1 of the Hork-Bajir Chronicles, Aldrea seems very young (perhaps a toddler) and yet in Chapter 2 of HBC she seems to be in late adolescence. Perhaps 2 Andalite years have passed (which is to say 14 earth years) which is to say that it went from being 2nd month of 8561 year to the 5th month 8563 year, but due to space time relativity (or some other complex physics theory that I don’t understand) only 2 years have passed on Earth, this however presents a few problems: Andalites would basically age by 7 years for every 1 year that passed on earth, although it does explain why the war seems to have lasted hundreds of years to the Andalites when it is has really only been going on since the late 1960’s… if this is the case then Andalites have been counting their dates since 8561Andalite years*7=59927 human years, which points to a mythological date in history or ancient historical date at the latest, even for a species as old as the Andalites. But still yikes.

Does anybody know of a way to calculate the andalite date for any given human year? If someone could that could be incredibly useful. Please help!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 11:10:57 PM by voodooqueen126 »

Offline anijen21

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2009, 12:55:53 AM »
Do you think the Andalites have a lot of holidays?

I bet they have like some sort of a spring-rebirth holiday. And at least one that strictly involves shame.
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2009, 01:05:53 AM »
Probably, I based my Andalite festivals off shinto ones :-\ as the Andalites always seemed like Space Samurai to me. I remember the Onion said of the Japanese "given the ability to feel shame a hundred times worse than any normal human" so you know it fits...
Here is a question a maths/physics person might help me figure out: what is the andalite date in 1982 or 1970 or 1990?