Author Topic: New Here  (Read 3438 times)

Offline Ouroboros

• Oooh, I have pants now. This is an improvement.
New Here
« on: November 12, 2011, 05:14:35 PM »
Hey guys and gals, how's it going today?

I'm Ouroboros, and I loooove me some Animorphs. My favorite character is definitely Ax, since his fascination with having a mouth and talking with it is fantastic and always makes me smile.

I'm a college senior right now, majoring in English, with concentrations in medieval lit, modernism/postmodernism, and linguistics/grammar. I am also double minoring in classical philosophy and history (from ancient history until about the 17th century). It seems like a lot, but it really isn't so bad. My professors fortunately take it somewhat easy on us, and there is really no homework outside of reading and writing papers.

As far as interests go, I have a few. I love to read, I like to go hiking and spend time outside (I'm an Eagle Scout and an Assistant Scoutmaster in the greatest troop ever), I like to play a lot of video games (mostly handheld, I like to be able to play for short bursts throughout the day), I read a ton of comic books, I play D&D or similar RPGs every Friday night, and my friends and I play a ton of games, everything from Scrabble to Magic: the Gathering to Risk to Warhammer 40k. I like to watch baseball and hockey, and I don't watch much else on TV besides Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, and COPS (my guilty pleasure haha).

I've been seeing this forum for a while now, kinda popping up in my bookmarks (I've been meaning to join for a long time) but a few days ago I decided to do it. Hopefully with all that stuff up there I can find people to talk with, and I'm looking forward to it.

PS

If anybody wants to strike up a random conversation (I'm nice, I promise!), I'll be stuck in front of the computer all day writing a paper.

AIM: chrysouroboros
YIM: chrysouroboros
MSN: chrysopoeiaouroboro s@gmail.com

Thanks to Seal for the sig!

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
Re: New Here
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 05:20:36 PM »
Welcome to RAF! :D I'm Steph. It's nice to meet you!

Offline Ouroboros

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 05:41:15 PM »
Thanks! Nice to meet you too  :)

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 06:27:31 PM »
<DinosaurNothlit here!  Hi, Ouroboros!  You sound like a pretty cool person.  I'm also a fan of Ax (second only to Tobias), and I like to play D&D a lot too.  Anyway, welcome to RAF!  I hope you like it here!>

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 07:35:11 PM »
hey, welcome to RAF! :)

If anybody wants to strike up a random conversation (I'm nice, I promise!), I'll be stuck in front of the computer all day writing a paper.

AIM: chrysouroboros
YIM: chrysouroboros
MSN: chrysopoeiaouroboro s@gmail.com

you got a skype account? we have chats on there quite frequently.

Offline Ouroboros

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 07:53:57 PM »
Nice to meet you all!

@DinosaurNothlit: What edition of D&D do you play? Do you play any other pen & paper RPGs?

@goom: Yes, I do have a skype account, but unfortunately my mic/camera are a complete bust. I hope to remedy that soon, but in the meantime...as long as you folks don't mind my text chatting it's all good.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 07:55:59 PM by Ouroboros »

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 09:27:14 PM »
<Well, to be honest, when I used the present tense of 'play,' I was slightly lying.  I haven't actually had a group to play with for quite some time now.  However, I've played D&D 3.0, as well as some GURPS (the one I've played was 2.0, I think, but the books I actually own are for 3.0) and Hero System (no idea which version it was).  I've been planning to eventually one day maybe start up a GURPS-style roleplay here on RAF, if I ever get the time and motivation to GM such a thing.>

Offline Ouroboros

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 09:37:52 PM »
Aww, that's sad :(

Honestly, I was really let down by 4th edition, and I'm a big fan of 3rd/3.5. My real love is AD&D 2E. I'm running a campaign right now in 2E that has been running without a significant break for about 3 years now. I mean, I know people hate on THAC0, but...it's so good. Haha.

Hero System is crazy, how long ago was it that you played? That may be a good indicator of what edition it was (if I am correct it's up to 6th edition).

What sort of GURPS-y thing are you thinking about? I don't have too much experience running GURPS, but I have played it a decent bit. Granted, we played GURPS 3rd edition (which is an edition behind now) so I don't know a lot about the current state of GURPS.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 09:59:51 PM »
yeah, plenty of people just type. the main room that we keep has so many people that we actually can't call, so we make temporary rooms for when we want to.

http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=863.0

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 10:10:17 PM »
Was it 3.5 or 4 where they started introducing those elemental sprite things as a playable race?  I seem to recall that they did something to Druids that I didn't like in whatever edition that was.  (Heh, I am so knowledgeable on all the D&D happenings.  ^-^)

Let's see, it would have been . . . a year ago that I played Hero System?  Year and a half maybe?  Now that I'm thinking about it, it seems like it was edition 5.  Something in my brain is associating "Hero System" with the number 5, anyhow.  It's a pretty nifty system, probably my second-favorite after GURPS (and that could be just because GURPS is the one I'm most familiar with).

Well, what I had in mind, as far as GURPS-y things go, was to roleplay sort of an intersection between different fictional universes, so that people could play whatever they wanted (versatility is the beauty of GURPS, after all).  I've got a plot summary typed up somewhere, but the jist of it is that the various planes of the multiverse intersect in various places that nobody really notices most of the time.  Ever wonder where your socks go when you lose them in the dryer?  That's the basic idea.  BTW, you probably know about as much about the current state of GURPS as I do, I don't know anything about 4th edition either.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 10:11:59 PM by DinosaurNothlit »

Offline Ouroboros

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 10:54:01 PM »
@goom That's awesome. I'll definitely check it out. EDIT: I can't access that link you left me :(

@DinosaurNothlit: Well, like the Tieflings and stuff? They were "playable" in 3/3.5 (in special settings like Forgotten Realms and Faerun, and a few splatbooks had stats for them to be used as PCs), but not a standard race. That was 4th. Not sure about the druids. I didn't play or run 4th long enough to get to druids :)

It could very well have been 5th edition Hero System. I dunno, I'm not really well-versed in that one, and the books I have for it are 2nd and 3rd edition so it's obviously been a little while. I have a friend who is waaaaaay into Hero System, I'll ask him next time we talk.

So you're thinking like a Rifts type of setting, only GURPS instead of Palladium? That's cool. I like the idea of it being a sort of subtle take on different planes. Are you looking to actually run it as GURPS or just use it as the basis?

If you are looking for a cool universal type system that isn't GURPS, I would recommend Unisystem (they do the Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG as well as All Flesh Must Be Eaten, a supercool zombie RPG) or the Cortex System (they do the Firefly RPG). They're all really excellent, just in different ways.

Offline Ash

• RAF Ancient
  • Social Staff Leader
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 09:04:28 AM »
Hey there, Ouroboros, welcome to the forum! Hope to see you on Skype sometime :)

Have fun around the boards!
You may have been given a cactus. Doesn't mean you have to sit on it.

Generation One

Keep up with RAF! Twitter | Facebook

Suspicious activity? Bot alert? Report the post or PM a staff member!

Offline Ouroboros

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 03:01:10 PM »
Definitely! Is there a skype board or any such thing where we can find chats and stuff? goom posted a link earlier but I can't access it.

Offline Kit Cloudkicker

• Reuben-Eater
  • Gold Donor
  • Cloud Surfer
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 08:20:36 PM »
Hi, I'm Jess. Welcome to RAF! We're glad to have you!

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 09:04:02 PM »
Well, Tieflings weren't specifically what I was thinking of, but now that you mention it I think they may have been part of that same update, so hey whatever.  As for the druids, I've always paid attention to them in particular because they were always my favorite class (the fact that they can, at higher levels, take DINOSAURS as their animal companions may have something to do with that).

Actually, I'm pretty happy with GURPS.  As I mentioned before, I have the basic set of source books for 3.0, so to use any other system I'd have to get all different books and learn the new system, and I'm plenty happy enough with GURPS right now that I don't feel the need to do any of that.