Author Topic: Escafil device  (Read 4257 times)

Offline xmynameistobias

• "Be happy for me, and for all who fly free."
Escafil device
« on: January 10, 2011, 05:40:33 PM »
Hello! Hoping this is the right section to post this in, no thanks to J-Angel, ahem.. Lmao, kidding! -nudge-

But for the longest time, I've aspired to make my own sort of Escafil device replica prop, which could be easier or even harder than it might sound depending on how I can go about crafting it.

Absolutely any help, tips, or suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

At the moment I don't have much to go off of, other than that it should be 4 by 4" and be blue, obviously Lol.
"Be happy for me, and for all who fly free."

Offline Josh (J)

• The Dude
  • God
  • Back from the dead.
    • Josh the Normal
Re: Escafil device
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 07:10:35 PM »
Thanks a lot. :P
So basically it'd just be a cube that would be a replica of the real one, or what?

Offline xmynameistobias

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 08:34:32 PM »
Lol!

Basically yes, just something I think would be a fun project to make. Something neat to set up on my shelf with the books when I get them back.

It'd be amazing to make one that could actually light up to some extent, but I'm thinking that could be a future project. For now, might as well start simple -nod-

Question is, what kind of material would be best to use, and how to make it blue? I'll probably start with something like the picture below for practice.

Offline wildweathel

• Werret of Portland
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 10:25:27 PM »
Personally, I'd cast it in blue, translucent polyester or urethane, possibly with some LED's inside.  Something that thick might have heat problems during cure, though, fortunately, something translucent and colored will be much less difficult than trying to do a clear cast.  Cast it solid to give it some heft--most plastics are a little more dense than water, so estimate 40-50 ounces for a 4" cube.  It'll make a nice paper-weight.

The big issue for hobbyists is that most plastics are fairly toxic before they cure.  They'll give you nasty headaches and possibly cancer with long-term exposure.  Not too bad if you know what you're doing, have ventilation, and the right personal protective equipment, but certainly a "kids' project."  (Unless you have really cool parents.)  I have some professional experience with this sort of thing (mostly rubber and plastisol coating) and wouldn't mind pointing you in the right direction, with the usual disclaimer about not guaranteeing anything.

Once cast, you can etch and paint to make it look really damn cool.  Blue LEDs put out enough UV light to activate fluorescent paint, so if your resin doesn't block it--ooh, you're making me want to try.
Kony 2012
arrest the worst

Sharing a special bond of RAFenmity with Tocade since Dec '08.

Offline xmynameistobias

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 11:37:20 PM »
Wow! Really, really great advice, I'll definitely look into this further and would love any help you're willing to give along the way.

I don't think any animorph fan should be without their own cube, Lol. It could be a really fun project for us all with a lot of free time and extra money to spare to do! :D

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 01:54:44 AM »
You could always carve it out of wood and then paint it blue, if woodworking is your thing.  I once happened to find exactly such a replica blue box, a few years back.  And it was even in a construction site, no less.  I figured it had to be a replica somebody made.  No way was that a coincidence.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 01:57:21 AM by DinosaurNothlit »

Offline xmynameistobias

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 10:28:13 AM »
Wow, nice!!! Yeah I haven't had much luck with crafting woods, though I did make a pretty nifty vampire stake once Lol

Yeah at the moment, the main reference I intend to use is my plastic pieced together lament configuration (box from the Hellraiser series) which is about the right size for what I intend it to be. Now I just need to find the right stuff for recreating it, and making it blue.. If only we had cloning machines yet >_<

there's me with my box, now I just gotta make a blue cube from it Lol.

NateSean

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 01:58:23 PM »
Love the chops.

And my advice involves teal blue acrylic paint and some brushes, especially if you're just planning to cover over something else. Cheap, easy and effective.

Offline xmynameistobias

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 04:21:24 PM »
Lmao thanks! They were my Victory Chops, started growing them the day I kicked my dads bum in court last year. I have since been shaving, though Lol.

Great advice!! I'm taking everything you guys give into definite consideration, when I get my check I'll be taking a trip to the stores to see what all I can find! :D

Offline Josh (J)

• The Dude
  • God
  • Back from the dead.
    • Josh the Normal
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 04:53:44 PM »
Ooh, I love it. Hurry up and paint it so we can see the final thing. And then test it out to see if it works. ^-^

Offline wildweathel

• Werret of Portland
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 08:44:56 PM »
Found this cruising Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Wp9CmSKFY
And, the book they mention: http://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/pdf/Casting_Craft_Instruction.pdf

(No endorsement of this particular brand; I've never used it.)

It's got styrene in it, which smells nasty and makes you sick.  MEKP is toxic, irritating, and explosive (!); fortunately, you don't use very much of it.

For a mold, I'm thinking a box out of sheet polyethylene or aluminum, sealed with hot glue.

The trick to pouring something that thick is doing it in multiple layers.  You want them to be the same color, so I'd mix the dye/pigment in first, then catalyze enough resin for each pour.  

Maybe more later...
Kony 2012
arrest the worst

Sharing a special bond of RAFenmity with Tocade since Dec '08.

Offline xmynameistobias

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 10:39:17 PM »
NICE!! Great help!! I'm eager to get to trying to start this project soon!

Offline Class5_Full_Roaming_Vapor

• Ghostbuster Animorph!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 12:04:37 AM »
Wow this is going to be good. I can't wait to see the end result as well. I can't believe there are so many animorph fans out there.
Ronnie Lee Taylor: Sales Associate by day but attitude filled Ghostbusting Animorph fan by night.

NateSean

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 10:19:25 AM »
Lmao thanks! They were my Victory Chops, started growing them the day I kicked my dads bum in court last year. I have since been shaving, though Lol.

There's a larger story there, I know it.

I used to have these killer 19th century style mutton chops. They got so many compliments that I still wish bodily harm on the manager that made me gut them off all those years ago.

Offline xmynameistobias

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 09:26:43 PM »
Nice!!!

And Lmao, I might as well just re-title this post Cubes and Chops, lmao. Indeed there's a longer story there! Mostly from my fascination with Steampunk. -nod- That and my facial grows in very odd patterns, sideburns or chops are all I can really pull off when I go without shaving for three days, haha!

But not to get too off topic!! I've been conversing with a friend of mine who actually took art classes and graduated with a degree who, good enough, is also an animorphs fan! It only took one sentence about mentioning the cube to her to get a "YES I WILL HELP YOU!" excited squee out of her, Lol. So we're going to make some plans to meet up later this month and hit up some good craft stores, see what we can find! Will keep you guys updated!!