Author Topic: Regarding the "Appeal to Smiters!"  (Read 1720 times)

Offline KitsuneMarie

• On the move
  • Gold Donor
  • Fantastic Ms Fox
Regarding the "Appeal to Smiters!"
« on: November 02, 2010, 03:07:41 PM »
Regarding the latest blog post, I think the first half of the policy makes sense, as smites don't fix problems by themselves and may actually egg on some people; the second half, however, doesn't--at least to me. Here's why:

1. Reviewing all smites seems like a big added responsibility for our staff. Not only will they have to take the time to read and review all smites, but they'll probably have to do some digging to figure out why some of them were given. I can imagine that some members smite after a long period of irritation with another individual. The given reason for the smite may not be the root cause, so the smite might seem unfair or petty, when there may actually be a deeper and more valid problem under the surface.

2. Reviewing all smites seems to negate the first half of the policy--the half that I think would be good for RAF. If the staff is reviewing smites and the reason they are issued, then that discourages RAFians from directly approaching the leadership with their concerns. It discourages honest discussion and can breed increased resentment from smited individuals who wonder why the one who had the problem with them didn't just talk to them about it. I think smites can be used as an effective form of communication, if given properly and with adequate commentary.

3. Karma doesn't really mean anything. It may be indicative of a sense of humor, talent, or a knack for saying the right thing at the right time, but it doesn't really say anything concrete about how active, productive, community-oriented, kind, [insert various other positive adjectives here] a member is, especially because donors earn karma through their financial gifts to RAF. I'm not denying there's probably a reason that a lot of members with karma down in the negative numbers also happen to be banned members, but smites don't necessarily make a RAFian a bad guy. There's just no way to derive any concrete knowledge about someone from their karma. I thought the system was just for fun.

4. If the staff believes karma really does have more meaning than I can see, I'd argue that folks probably abuse giving positive karma just as much as, if not more than, negative karma. It isn't uncommon for folks to inflate each others' karma for no reason other than they are friends. If karma really is important, should we be regulating applause abuse as well as smite abuse?

If Richard chooses to keep these updates to the system, is there a way to broadcast these new regulations more widely? I know a lot of RAFians don't read the blog regularly, so they might not be aware of the changes.
Aluminator's RAFsister

Alic

Re: Regarding the "Appeal to Smiters!"
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 03:11:55 PM »
i think that people shouldn't cry over karma.
*shrug*

Post Merged: November 02, 2010, 03:52:44 PM
This was my reply to the blog post but it has not been approved yet:

Are people seriously throwing a fit over KARMA? Really? Wow.

I know I could smite more to those who deserve it. But honestly, there's a couple people that are so well liked by staff and others that I know reporting and smiting will do absolutely no good. Pointless.

Maybe if we all stepped up and smited every time someone deserves it, specific people wouldn't be singled out.

Smiting someone isn't BAD.
    And some of this smiting has been ENCOURAGED by some staff members.

Some people just need to get over it. It's a freaking button!
    November 2, 2010 2:42 PM
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 03:52:44 PM by Patty »

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 04:23:57 PM »
XD Okay, Patty, I just applauded you for that, and as it went through I realized the irony of doing so. ::) Ah, well. Still, I agree with your point.

I don't know about other people, but in my opinion the report button's for when I know--or think strongly enough--that someone's breaking a rule. I smite when the post doesn't necessarily break any rules.

Offline A ghost you know

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 09:24:33 PM »
IMHO, a smite is for when someone's being a jerk and the report button is for when someone breaks a rule (spamming, for example). Every so often both are necessary, but I don't think that's often.

Nah, the karma system is nothing worth throwing a fit over. It won't affect anyone's RL, it won't get them banned, it won't affect how they're received here on RAF (the posts that triggered the smites may affect their reception on RAF, but not the smites themselves). And as Marie said,
Quote from: KitsuneMarie
3. Karma doesn't really mean anything. It may be indicative of a sense of humor, talent, or a knack for saying the right thing at the right time, but it doesn't really say anything concrete about how active, productive, community-oriented, kind, [insert various other positive adjectives here] a member is

Quote from: Hannah Montana!!
    I know I could smite more to those who deserve it. But honestly, there's a couple people that are so well liked by staff and others that I know reporting and smiting will do absolutely no good. Pointless.

Maybe if we all stepped up and smited every time someone deserves it, specific people wouldn't be singled out.
I don't think anyone's playing favorites when it comes to smiting, especially the staff. Sure, personal grievances may spill over into excess smiting and personal likes may spill over into excess applauding, but nobody's "looking the other way".

As far as I can tell, people are consistent when applauding/smiting from post to post. If a member feels something deserves applause, it gets applause no matter who posted it. If a member feels something deserves a smite, it gets a smite no matter who posted it. And if one of the mods says "you really should smite this," it's more a "smite this type of post" than "smite this person", IMHO.

Maybe I'm just looking at things through rose-tinted glasses (I have been known to do that, which could partially explain why I have never used the smite button), but I feel this whole smite vs. report thing is much ado about (almost) nothing.
RAFdating Horsefan1023 (Seal)! :D

VisserZer0

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 07:01:15 AM »
I think that whole blog post was a load of bollocks.

Offline Kit Cloudkicker

• Reuben-Eater
  • Gold Donor
  • Cloud Surfer
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 02:35:49 PM »
IMHO, a smite is for when someone's being a jerk and the report button is for when someone breaks a rule (spamming, for example). Every so often both are necessary, but I don't think that's often.

My thoughts exactly. Thank you for phrasing it better than I've been able to.