Author Topic: New Animorphs Television Series Discussion: Season Breakdown  (Read 9880 times)

Offline MoppingBear

Re: New Animorphs Television Series Discussion: Season Breakdown
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2014, 04:45:09 PM »
I'm entirely off the notion of 1 book = 1 episode, and this is just a skeleton anyway.  Stories will be fleshed out, and not all material need come specifically from the books.  Other things from other books could also be incorporated, this was by no means meant to be an exhaustive list of topics, merely an outline of the essential things that would need to be established in a season.  Other early book storylines could be included as well.

For one, the general origin story and learning about their morphs easily constitutes its own episode even though it only really makes up part of one book.  The first visit to the Yeerk pool would also be worthy of one episode when factoring setup and escape.

The same can be said for a book like (for example) The Predator, which I think could easily be fleshed out into a 2 part episode quite naturally.
That's a good point. I understand theoretically that it doesn't have to be 1 book = 1 episode, but I've grown so used to these stories being told this particular way that it's hard for me to think about them differently. The TV show, IIRC, split the first book up into three episodes. And I think they also did The Predator as a two-parter. But I think a lot of that was due to the time restrictions of a half-hour show. Would you have this show as a half-hour or hour-long? How many episodes do your think each season should have?

He doesn't actually violate the code all that often IIRC, most of his intrusions required a concession to Crayak.
You might be right. It's been a while since I read the Ellimist-related books, but I seem to recall that in his first-ever appearance, he offered to take the Animorphs and their families to another planet, like a nature reserve for humans. That seems like a hell of a concession.
The concession to Crayak was, the Yeerks take over the Earth and Elimmist loses that round.

Offline Snakie

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2014, 10:00:06 PM »
I'm entirely off the notion of 1 book = 1 episode, and this is just a skeleton anyway.  Stories will be fleshed out, and not all material need come specifically from the books.  Other things from other books could also be incorporated, this was by no means meant to be an exhaustive list of topics, merely an outline of the essential things that would need to be established in a season.  Other early book storylines could be included as well.

For one, the general origin story and learning about their morphs easily constitutes its own episode even though it only really makes up part of one book.  The first visit to the Yeerk pool would also be worthy of one episode when factoring setup and escape.

The same can be said for a book like (for example) The Predator, which I think could easily be fleshed out into a 2 part episode quite naturally.
That's a good point. I understand theoretically that it doesn't have to be 1 book = 1 episode, but I've grown so used to these stories being told this particular way that it's hard for me to think about them differently. The TV show, IIRC, split the first book up into three episodes. And I think they also did The Predator as a two-parter. But I think a lot of that was due to the time restrictions of a half-hour show. Would you have this show as a half-hour or hour-long? How many episodes do your think each season should have?

These are fair questions, and I'll admit I haven't given them the slightest bit of thought.  I was playing around with ideas and thinking more thematically than practically. 

A series like this probably needs hour long shows, unless you're planning on making it a series that markets specifically to young audiences like the first series.  I envision the themes catering to an older audience.

I could envision it having 12 episodes per season.  The fact that there is no getting around is that there's a significant chunk of books that simply aren't worth adapting, so you'd need to either create new content or make it a very limited series.  I think any realistic attempt to make a TV series would need to trim the weaker storylines and develop and expand upon the storylines we have.

The way I figure it there probably aren't more than 35-40 books plus the Chronicles worth adapting, and even that's generous when considering many of the Ghostwritten books, Megamorphs, and books like 11, 12, and 14.

A show that is relatively short (40 or fewer episodes) would feel hollow and would not feel like nearly enough time to develop a group of children into a band of guerrilla fighters that bring the strongest empire in the galaxy to is knees.  That's why I envision a longer series with some of the more compelling storylines fleshed out more and possibly even a few storylines added in.

Offline Liora

• Political Animorphs
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2014, 09:00:42 AM »
The concession to Crayak was, the Yeerks take over the Earth and Elimmist loses that round.
Thanks for reminding me. You're right; I'm thoroughly convinced at this point that the Ellimist and the Crayak need to stay in. They don't need their own season arc. Their story can build gradually through the entire series.

These are fair questions, and I'll admit I haven't given them the slightest bit of thought.  I was playing around with ideas and thinking more thematically than practically. 

A series like this probably needs hour long shows, unless you're planning on making it a series that markets specifically to young audiences like the first series.  I envision the themes catering to an older audience.

I could envision it having 12 episodes per season.  The fact that there is no getting around is that there's a significant chunk of books that simply aren't worth adapting, so you'd need to either create new content or make it a very limited series.  I think any realistic attempt to make a TV series would need to trim the weaker storylines and develop and expand upon the storylines we have.

The way I figure it there probably aren't more than 35-40 books plus the Chronicles worth adapting, and even that's generous when considering many of the Ghostwritten books, Megamorphs, and books like 11, 12, and 14.

A show that is relatively short (40 or fewer episodes) would feel hollow and would not feel like nearly enough time to develop a group of children into a band of guerrilla fighters that bring the strongest empire in the galaxy to is knees.  That's why I envision a longer series with some of the more compelling storylines fleshed out more and possibly even a few storylines added in.
I agree with all of this. I think maybe the series could benefit from one or two fewer seasons than your initial suggestion. Maybe combine seasons 1 and 2? Some of the best shows out there - Babylon 5, The Wire, and Breaking Bad were five seasons long, and all of them felt like the right length.
Political Animorphs: Overthinking a Plate of Yeerks.

Offline Snakie

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2014, 06:28:32 PM »

He doesn't actually violate the code all that often IIRC, most of his intrusions required a concession to Crayak.
You might be right. It's been a while since I read the Ellimist-related books, but I seem to recall that in his first-ever appearance, he offered to take the Animorphs and their families to another planet, like a nature reserve for humans. That seems like a hell of a concession.

That was never a serious offer.

That was just the Ellimist finding a loophole to show them where the Kandrona was.  He showed it to them without actually showing it to them.

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2014, 02:21:27 AM »

That was never a serious offer.

That was just the Ellimist finding a loophole to show them where the Kandrona was.  He showed it to them without actually showing it to them.

Well yeah, that was his plan all along, but he couldn't exactly pitch it to Crayak that way.

Offline lolapandi

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2014, 11:17:13 AM »
This is such a good idea and you guys have come up with some really great plans. I wish so badly I could see this happen!!! I'm with whoever said we need to get someone who can make flash videos and start a kickstarter. I'd contribute to that!
Sigs were never my strong suit. Just talk to me!!