Author Topic: Sentences you'll never forget  (Read 30414 times)

Offline 11:11

• I always catch the clock, it's 11:11...
Re: Sentences you'll never forget
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2010, 04:02:43 PM »
Just re-read book 53. Chapter 15 breaks my heart every time reading it. When Jake's all "And I knew — knew beyond any doubt — that someone, and maybe more than someone, I loved was going to die." I'm just like </3
And in that moment, I swear we were infinite.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2010, 12:25:45 PM »
Quote from: donut
"the use of rhetoric to obscure a lack of content"
This one is awesome and has actually found its way into being the title of my blog. :)

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline JohnBlaze

• I'm telling you, Rachel's alive, I saved her
« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2010, 05:34:28 AM »
OH yeah....in 33 when Ax and Tobias went into the break room and saw Hork Bajir playing cards? I thought that was a good comical image
If I was an Animorph, we would've won in two weeks...just sayin'

Offline Seventhsage

« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2010, 12:56:28 PM »
I started typing mine a while back, and realized that it was a bit long, so i spoilerized it.

[spoiler]
"oh, that's not a problem, I talked to Erek, he gave me the code, everyone memorize it... 6"
"6, their code is a single digit?"
"they were a trusting species" Cassie said simply
"and now they're dead" Ax said just as simply

He called me something I've been called before (rachel)
<I heard what that guy called you... he's perceptive> - Tobias

<You fight well for a human> - polar bear controller in book 54
Kinda sums her up, start to finish, good fighting, but still human

"Animorph!!!" - I love this one, the first time something morphed and the controllers didn't scream andalite

"Don't touch me Andalite Scum" - controller Jake
this one really hits you.  This yeerk is looking at one hell of a promotion if he can pull this off, but he just
can't keep his cool around an andalite, even when so much is at stake

"Hey Tobias, I always wondered, are Hawks like pigeons, you just... you know... wherever you are" (Marco)
<Depends on who's under us> (Tobias)
"You should probably buy a hat marco" (Rachel)

<why are we climbing> I asked Aldrea
"on this planet, you go up to go left or right"
<I've been trying to tell them that for a long time, altitude's everything> -tobias

"Andalite"
<oh, so you are a controller, good, that makes things so much simpler>

<I can lead you to them> tobias said
I tried not to think about the reason Tobias would know the location of a litter of skunks
"are they alive"
<Some of them are>

-Tobias can be cold when he wants to be, but it's a form of acceptance and redemption for him.

<Ax, time?>
<We have been in morph for 97 of your minutes>
<you know ax, they're everyone's minutes, not just ours> (Marco)
<We have now been in morph for 98 of your minutes>
<I swear he does that on purpose> (Marco)

"Andalite"
<Surprise> Ax cried as he charged around the corner

I like how Ax gets a sort of "almost" humor mixed in with that almost accidental arrogance.

and finally:

A thermal is a column of warm air that rises straight up for miles

-just in case you didn't know
[/spoiler]

Offline Kotetsu1442

« Reply #94 on: July 02, 2010, 04:17:27 PM »
From HBC, an Esplin 9466 chapter:

I searched the data banks hungrily. And one day I realized I'd found my true calling.

I came across an old Andalite saying in the computer files. <Know your friends well. Know your enemies better.>

The Andalites were our enemies now.

Yes. Know your enemy.

That was my calling. That was the way to gaining my own host. I would learn all the computer held about the magnificent, powerful creatures called Andalites.

Someday we would face the Andalites in battle. Then I would be needed.

Man, I wish that the 'present day' Visser Three was still this cunning and awesome. I mean, sure it's reasonable for him to have grown far more arrogant as he moved off up in the Yeerk Empire, but he grew way too stupid and oafish as well.

(And did anyone realize that if Ax was in his Andalite form, he shouldn't have a throat to be tightened?)

He has no mouth, but he still breaths, so as other people mentioned there's nothing wrong with him having a throat though it wouldn't necessarily have an esophagus to swallow with... but when a better example about a KASU where the lack of "mouthparts" is forgotten is when V3's thought-speak of "Enraged shouts echoed throughout the canyon" in #39, The Hidden.

I'll always like Tom's line in uh...I think #53?  Yeah.

"Little brother, you've got to know by now: Wars aren't won with clean hands."

It just kind of summarizes their tension and the morality of the whole series.  And it's spoken by a "bad guy".  Doubleplusgood?

I totally agree with the Doubleplusgood, in making a 'bad guy' bad, fiction tends to make them less intelligent and deep-thoughted, so it's nice when they do get a chance to have a good line.

Marco: "What's the deal with you, Cassie? Half the time you're giving us crap over being too ruthless or whatever. It's always, 'Oh, is this right?' and 'Oh, should we do this?' I mean, you're Miss Morality, and then when you have a bad night you just bail on us?'
"Fine. You have your morals and your fine feelings and all that. We'll go off and risk our lives to save the world. You just sit here and feel righteous."

I think it got even more serious as that conversation continued. This was probably where many fans get their source of Cassie hating. Marco leaves, then:

I heard the flutter of wings and realized Tobias was gone, too.
Rachel looked hurt..
Cassie: "Rachel we can still be-"
Rachel: "No we can’t, see you’ve just said the whole world can drop dead, so long as you, Cassie, don’t end up turning into me."

A couple of my own favorite quotes:

"I’m not even average height for my age, although I make up for it by being cute, very cute. And charming. And witty. And modest."
~Marco in #5, The Predator

The Starbucks guy handed Ax a paper cup. Ax took it. He looked around to see what other people were doing. Like them, he put a lid on his cup. Then, still mimicking the others, he attempted to drink.
”Um, Ax?”, [Marco] I said. “ You have to drink where the little hole is in the lid.”
”A hole! In the lid! No spills!!! Lllls!!”
This was the coolest thing Ax had ever seen. I guess coffee cup technology hasn’t advanced very far on the Andalite home world.
~#5, The Predator

Rachel: "...We have a mission here. So lets go and get it over with."
Jake: "Rachel's right, we can debate animal testing some other day," Prince Jake said. "Let's just do this. In, Out and Right back."
Ax: <After These Messages.>
~#28, The Experiment

And perhaps the deepest thought to ever come from a tree:
Ellimist: Then why have another child? If not the disease, then the monsters, or a famine. Why have another child?
Tree: Disease take one. Monster take one. Famine take one. More children, some live.
~Chronicles #4, The Ellimist Chronicles

One line that should have been in Animorphs: The way that Marco's pop culture references and humor worked, he definately should have thrown in a "It's Morphin' Time!" somewhere along the way.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 05:05:54 PM by Kotetsu1442 »
If your attack is going well, you have walked into an ambush.

Offline AnyaSciarra

• "Computers don't care if they're yelled at."
« Reply #95 on: July 02, 2010, 07:01:28 PM »
"I am Canadese." --- Ax. I got to admit that it isn't very deep, but it is funny. I'll always remember that.

"Some people never change. Some do." The sentence on the cover of the Invasion. It's just amazing.
"The saddest day of my life was that day when I learned that Sherlock Holmes was not real. Boy was I wrong."--- Norah Yasgur

Offline Zeus974

« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2010, 01:53:51 AM »
"Answer this Ellemist: Did I . . . did I make a difference? My life, and my . . . my death was . . . was I worth it? Did my life really matter?"

"Yes," he said. "You were brave. You were strong. You were good. You mattered."

"Yeah. Okay, then. Okay, then."

I wondered if --

-----------------

I know someone already posted this, but yeah, this is the most memorable section of the animorphs books to me. Very touching.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 01:56:48 AM by Zeus974 »

Offline A ghost you know

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2010, 03:49:52 PM »
Quote from: Zeus974
but yeah, this is the most memorable section of the animorphs books to me. Very touching.
I totally agree. That's probably the most memorable part of the series for me, too, and definitely the most touching.
RAFdating Horsefan1023 (Seal)! :D

Offline donut

• Xtreme Member
  • Don't Blink
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2010, 01:44:33 AM »
"You think everything is so simple, don't you?  That it's all either right or wrong, black or white.  A good guy, a bad guy, and nothing in between."

"we have to win"

I don't know why at the time, but these stuck with me.  Later I was reading another book on human nature and it brought up a good point,  Everyone is justified in everything they do, at least at the time they do it, in their own mind.  And I thought of those lines from the books.  It made me realize how easy it is to see yourself as doing the right thing, being good, and your enemy as evil without realizing that from their point of view, they are doing the right thing and you're the one that's evil. And in reality both sides have done plenty of evil and good things.  And how you can justify anything you do to stop the ultimate evil that is your enemy because you are stopping that evil and "we have to win" and before your fight to stop evil is over, you could have become worse than what it was you were fighting.

Offline 11:11

• I always catch the clock, it's 11:11...
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2010, 03:54:52 PM »
"You think everything is so simple, don't you?  That it's all either right or wrong, black or white.  A good guy, a bad guy, and nothing in between."

Tom says that one right?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 03:56:45 PM by 11:11 »
And in that moment, I swear we were infinite.

Offline Xazi2003

« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2010, 04:02:24 AM »
We have our ultimate weapon," Marco reported to the others when we were
all safely assembled back in Cassie's barn. "Maple and ginger oatmeal."
"Instant maple and ginger oatmeal," I corrected.
"Instant," Marco agreed.
Cassie, Ax, and Tobias all just stared. Tobias was his hawk self, and he
can really stare. Ax was in his own Andalite body, and he could stare
with four eyes at once.
"Oatmeal," Cassie said.
"Oatmeal," Jake confirmed. "But only the instant maple and ginger. !
guess they don't know why."
<Maybe it's the maple,> Tobias suggested.
"Maybe it's the ginger. Or maybe it's the 'instant.'

Offline donut

• Xtreme Member
  • Don't Blink
« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2010, 11:31:24 PM »
"It's Oat-Freakin-Meal!"  sorry couldn't resist :-]

"You think everything is so simple, don't you?  That it's all either right or wrong, black or white.  A good guy, a bad guy, and nothing in between."

Tom says that one right?

Yeah Tom said it

Offline parangacett

« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2010, 11:04:34 AM »
But you can be more or less wrong, more or less right.  The statement "good guys, bad guys" assumes entire forces that are fighting against each other, and this characterization can be as accurate as anything can be to describe the broad majority trying to effect their change.  Individuals within each side may be neither all right or all wrong, but the cause they are fighting for can be - I mean, if you have time in war to know the individuals on the other side, this quote is a good thing to always keep on your mind.  But if at the moment, it's kill or be killed, you have to have other things on mind to survive. 
   I haven't been here in a very long time, so I'm sorry if this seems Captain Obvious or just random or too simplistic.

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2010, 03:08:19 PM »

"we have to win"

I really love that bit.

Offline A ghost you know

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
Quote from: Stephquiem

"we have to win"

I really love that bit.
Me too.
Before I read Animorphs, I thought of the world as basically black and white. Either something was wrong, or it was right. Now, I view the world as mostly shades of gray, with very little black/white. It's amazing how a few little sentences can change an entire worldview.
RAFdating Horsefan1023 (Seal)! :D