Author Topic: Cast List Discussion  (Read 42917 times)

Offline Darth Revan

• Master of the Star Forge!
  • Gold Donor
  • Now you see the true Dark Lord of the Sith!
Re: Cast List Discussion
« Reply #405 on: October 31, 2011, 03:19:52 AM »
Yeah, I'm Tom, Steve (Tom's dad), and The Drode.
RAFengaged to Midnight_Huntress

Offline Gankhruun

• For unity.
« Reply #406 on: October 31, 2011, 03:22:31 AM »
Oh wow, neat!

Hello there follow colleague!

I'm Ax. ^^

Offline Darth Revan

• Gold Donor
« Reply #407 on: October 31, 2011, 05:00:50 AM »
Coolness.

Offline Gankhruun

• For unity.
« Reply #408 on: October 31, 2011, 06:41:51 AM »
It is.

Offline Horsefan1023 (Seal)

• RAF's Resident Tumbleweed Hater
  • God
  • TO THE BATMOBILE!
« Reply #409 on: October 31, 2011, 07:16:34 AM »
Rad filled in with those extra lines, if I'm not mistaken, they're in chapter four.  And Myth filled in for some bit parts in chapter...five, maybe?  Some random girls at Darlene's party.  I kidnapped her voice.  :P
Most Insane Member/RAFian Writer 2010!

Thanks to Bear!
Blue is my WonderTwin, Myth, Blocky, Jess, Kayla, Demos, Tony are my siblings, Shorty is my cousin, Bear is my RAFsupercodetective! (Yeah awesome!)
RAFdating Ghostie! :D
:raftrophy: RAFian Writer and Most Insane Member 2011!

Offline Gankhruun

• For unity.
« Reply #410 on: October 31, 2011, 07:31:05 AM »
You stole her voice? SEA WITCH! *points and accuses* <-- obscure movie reference.

Well there ya go Darth. Seems like you don't need to do the lines.

And you're the voice of Rachel! *gasp* I liked your take on the part. =D

[EDIT]
On another note, since I'm not even sure if RAFCast even check the blog posts on the project site but it'd be really nice to get a progress report on the project as a whole...Sorry if I'm asking for a lot but this is coming from a college graduate who's used to working in a project where we have clean communication. =x

So how far is the next release or should I not be asking this question? Or even that should I take Mg Guy's answer literally and it really is 300 f***ing years? o_O;;

[DOUBLE EDIT]
Neverind... I tinkered around the website and found the finished assets...

[TRIPLE EDIT]
-embarrassed lauhg- Okay okay, I found the schedule too... wow... I feel dumb.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 07:59:42 AM by Gankhruun »

Offline Gaz

• RAF's Resident Coffee Addicted Pirate
  • God
  • Forsooth!
    • Rachel Recaps
« Reply #411 on: October 31, 2011, 09:33:22 PM »
Need any extra voices or something? Maybe I can find some time to help out.

Offline Mr. Guy36

• im still in ur ear, still controllin ur body
« Reply #412 on: October 31, 2011, 11:47:26 PM »
Well I appreciate the attention on this thread, so I'll just kinda dump my thoughts on the project here... Here goes.

The most important thing is the principal cast, which currently stands as follows:
Jake -- Me
Rachel -- Seal
Tobias -- Slushie
Cassie -- Jess
Marco -- Duff
Ax -- Parker/Gahnkruun*

The most important thing is getting these recordings. This is the part that I hate... I am perfectly capable of being a major bastard and shouting in people's faces to get stuff done (ask Seal), if they are people I know who have a commitment to the work. This is a volunteer project. All of us have lives outside the internet (*le gasp*) and may have to go weeks or months without being able to spend lots of time on this. Everyone who has contributed anything at all has done much more than they're getting compensated for. Because of all this, it's difficult for me to point fingers at anyone to get their work in. We've all been guilty of not doing stuff at one point or another (except Duff) so there isn't any one person to single out either.

When I do have all the parts for a given chapter, it generally takes only a day or two for post-production, then another day or two to get them to Richard and uploaded. In the case of bit parts, typically someone has offered to do it, or someone recruits (conscripts) a friend to do it. Failing that, I will PM one of the people who have offered.

The other thing is the lack of overall coordination. The main site itself does a great job of managing audio files, and we could be using it much more than we do. However, there is still a great deal of coordination done here, which leads to several problems. First of all, people either check this section of the forum regularly, or don't check it at all. Sometimes I try to fix this with crossposts into General, but this leads to other problems, namely the need to edit. If I have to manually edit posts to convey changing information, things will naturally be incomplete or out-of-date. This leads to problems like the current Ax casting.

*Ax casting explained here: When the position opened up, Parker offered to fill it. However, I got no response for some time. Gahnkruun then offered, and submitted his audio. Two days later, Parker replied. So I'm still figuring that one out...

I'll close this with two requests: First of all, if you're involved in the project, please check this subforum/your PMs at least reasonably often. I'm really terrible at keeping up with the forum as a whole (I need to fix that) but I still check this part several times a day.
Second, I want your input. I proposed this project, but that's really the only claim I have over it. (Sorta Jake-ish, isn't it?) I'm not sure what to do with the project, really. So what do you all think?

~Mr. Guy

I refuse to remove this sig because of some petty argument. RAF must remain solid.
By popular demand, now with Gaz!

Above silence, the illuminating storms - Dying storms - Illuminate the silence above

Offline Gankhruun

• For unity.
« Reply #413 on: November 01, 2011, 01:45:37 AM »
*Ax casting explained here: When the position opened up, Parker offered to fill it. However, I got no response for some time. Gahnkruun then offered, and submitted his audio. Two days later, Parker replied. So I'm still figuring that one out...

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regarding the casting for Ax... I knew it was iffy in your PM response. You shouldn't have made me do my lines if there was still the consideration of the other candidate. I was a little ambitious and went ahead anyway so I apologise in advance for all members involved. I will like to make it easier for you to decide as I am telling you now that if the other Ax does better than your most logical decision would be to choose him over me. I won’t be discouraged, though I would still like to help in the project some way, timing, organisation, sound effects, music… I can see what I can do but I dunno.

For now my recording is on hold till there is clarity over Ax’s casting. I will fight for the position of courses. I can even submit on what I have done on chapter 15 for you to listen to as I have been trying hard to improve over my audition recording.

Second, I want your input. I proposed this project, but that's really the only claim I have over it. (Sorta Jake-ish, isn't it?) I'm not sure what to do with the project, really. So what do you all think?

And now regarding the project as a whole: I had my eye on this project since 1-2 years ago. I would like this project to advance, walking ahead and producing chapters for the Megamorph series. I had a chat about this subject on RAFChat with some fellow members and announced my vision to someday even have the project do the main books once Megamorphs was done and of course Blue scoffed at me. =P As you can tell I really want this project to work. I of course am not taking any leading positions as I viewed Mr. Guy 36 as the directing leader for this project. The project leader if you will who holds all the strings. You have claim but naturally you should lead as well. Be the man that you’re voicing. ;)

The other thing is the lack of overall coordination. The main site itself does a great job of managing audio files, and we could be using it much more than we do. However, there is still a great deal of coordination done here, which leads to several problems. First of all, people either check this section of the forum regularly, or don't check it at all. Sometimes I try to fix this with crossposts into General, but this leads to other problems, namely the need to edit. If I have to manually edit posts to convey changing information, things will naturally be incomplete or out-of-date. This leads to problems like the current Ax casting.

Agreed. The main site’s last post was from 2 years ago. It would be better to have all project related information transferred to the other website instead and post in the main forum for call outs or other volunteering work. I have worked in a project (not necessarily voice acting and what not but being part of a team of workers) and the communication isn’t that easily established. My very one feature I would like added is to have the main blog be allowed to be posted by all members involved in the project for work related blog posts such as posting absenses, progress update, community assets available to all – anything that benefits the project. It would also be nice to have something similar to this thread on the site as well so we all know what has been done, and what needs to be done: a clean record of information.

So to conclude I hope that this discussion will lead to renewed interest.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 01:49:17 AM by Gankhruun »

Offline Darth Revan

• Gold Donor
« Reply #414 on: November 01, 2011, 05:40:30 AM »
I mostly went for the Ax role 'cause I was excited as to getting a main character role. However, as I already have three other roles (albiet sporadic), 'Hruun can have the role of Ax.

As far as checking this forum, I check my replied posts constantly, and I've replied in almost all of these threads. So if there's a new posting, I normally catch it. There are days when I can't get on this site, work, family, etc, but I make it a concentrated effort to respond promptly.

What input are you asking towards? How the project is going? If we should continue? How we think we can inspire the actors to get moving? ;D

I don't think this project should be abandoned. Not one bit. It's an amazing idea, and it sounds great so far. As far as getting a got cinder under the actors' behinds, that comes down to how much they want to continue. I haven't heard/read/seen head or hide of Duff or Slushie on the site (though it could be that they're posting in a section I don't frequent); and I see Jess every now and again, but are they even still on board?

Offline Gankhruun

• For unity.
« Reply #415 on: November 01, 2011, 05:50:58 AM »
I mostly went for the Ax role 'cause I was excited as to getting a main character role. However, as I already have three other roles (albiet sporadic), 'Hruun can have the role of Ax.

Gah, you were the other candidate?! I didn't know. I acted like a total idiot when I said I was voicing Ax to you! I'm sorry! I honestly didn't know. I didn't intend to sound arrogant/smug about it because you were under the impression you were still waiting for approval and to having been told the position was already fulfilled.

Though with total meltdown, gasp-worthy, oh-my-god-what-the-f*ck reaction out of the way, I thank you for giving me the position. I'll work hard for the both of us. =D

According to this the actors for Marco and Tobias are still active, although Tobias having not logged in for nearly 20 days or so but I don't think it's anything major.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 05:57:50 AM by Gankhruun »

Offline Darth Revan

• Gold Donor
« Reply #416 on: November 01, 2011, 06:17:46 AM »
It's okay, you didn't act like an idiot; you were optimistic and hopeful. Your excitement just overrode your humility a moment is all. ;D
Honestly, you didn't sound smug or arrogant at all; a bit assuming, but not smug or arrogant.

I'm certain you'll do great.

Guy, we still don't have anyone doing Crayak's lines do we? 'Cause I may be able to do those as well. I kinda envisioned his voice to be like The Gravemind from HALO, deep, gravel-ly, and maybe a bit misty. Not as slow, or distorted, but deep and somewhat creepy.

[spoiler=Gravemind Speech in Halo 2]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZgumDHdOXk[/spoiler

Offline Mr. Guy36

• im still in ur ear, still controllin ur body
« Reply #417 on: November 01, 2011, 09:29:21 AM »
Yay discussion!
I'll try to respond to everything that was brought up:

First off, my major goal here is self-sufficiency. The way the site was envisioned, no nagging would be necessary, because actors would just check their to-do list, check things off, timers would be informed, parts could be created, all that good stuff. The idea was that nobody should have to wait on anyone else for things that don't actually require them. That's why I really don't care if Duff hasn't been seen in a while.. He's done with this book. Completely. While we're floundering through the first 5 chapters. Now not all of the functionality I described is completely implemented, but actor to-dos certainly are.

The Schedule post that Gahnkruun linked was mostly my attempt at guilt-tripping... The way I see it, nobody needs to know if someone else hasn't posted recently. That's something the managers can deal with so we don't end up at each others' throats. I just posted that because I was sorta freaking out about my requests being ignored. I think possibly a list of what chapters are in what general state (not recorded, principals recorded, waiting for post-, in post-, waiting for upload, done) would be good, but no more detail than that.

Parker and Gahnkruun, thank you so incredibly much for resolving that.

Parker, as long as your range is good enough, I think doubling Crayak/Drode makes a lot of sense. I seem to recall you tinkering with some FX for Drode. I'd prefer all of the effects to be done in post-production, but I'd certainly appreciate input on what sounds good. We should probably try to avoid doubling too much as a whole (I'd probably say none of the principals should double) but the more processed and weird-sounding a voice is, the more possible doubling should be.

Running off to calc, I'll reread when I get back and answer anything else.

JESS, where are youuuuuuuuuuuu?

I refuse to remove this sig because of some petty argument. RAF must remain solid.
By popular demand, now with Gaz!

Above silence, the illuminating storms - Dying storms - Illuminate the silence above

Offline Gankhruun

• For unity.
« Reply #418 on: November 01, 2011, 09:59:35 AM »
*backs into a dark and gloomy corner with his hands held together in front of him in an ominous gesture of inevitable doom* Spelling my name wrong now are we?  >:D

Though back on topic...

The Schedule post that Gankkruun* linked was mostly my attempt at guilt-tripping... The way I see it, nobody needs to know if someone else hasn't posted recently. That's something the managers can deal with so we don't end up at each others' throats. I just posted that because I was sorta freaking out about my requests being ignored. I think possibly a list of what chapters are in what general state (not recorded, principals recorded, waiting for post-, in post-, waiting for upload, done) would be good, but no more detail than that.
I didn't necessarily say add names. I just said similiar... :angel:... Oh who am I kidding, I WANTED NAMES TO GUILT TRIP PEOPLE!  >:D (nah... really joking this time)

But yeah, a continuously updated schedule would be nice so we know how the project, overall, is fairing and it's in one convenient place (our project website) so you don't have to look for it or peruse your watchlist! =D

That's why I really don't care if Duff hasn't been seen in a while.. He's done with this book.
Really? He's done all the Marco lines in the first Megamorphs books? All of them?! if so, kudos to you Duff! It's time for... Duffman... OH YEAH! <--another obscure reference

While we're floundering through the first 5 chapters.

Hey, don't write all of us off yet. ;) I plan to finish all of my Ax lines by the end of the month at max.

Offline Darth Revan

• Gold Donor
« Reply #419 on: November 01, 2011, 07:32:17 PM »
I haven't used that many effects with my recordings. I alter my spoken voice while recording, I don't use the comp that much. The only effects I use in Audacity is to change the pitch. I make sure all the lines are recorded, then up the pitch by a half step or so.

And we can upload future audio files? I thought we were just supposed to keep 'em on hold until a job was created for them?

If we can upload early, I've got all of Drode's lines rearing and ready.

I just have to begin recording Tom's lines. Then isolate Steve's lines and record his. Since Crayak doesn't speak until book 27/28, I'll leave him for last.