Author Topic: Yeerk Mothership  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
Re: Yeerk Mothership
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 11:09:49 PM »

"Pool" is a Yeerkish concept, unlike "bug" or "blade.", so Pool Ship is probably a Yeerk name. I think it's safe to say that Pool ships were built later in the war (unless there was a pool ship in HBC, which I don't recall). Makes you wonder where "Dracon beam" (also a Yeerk name) comes from.

I might totally be off, but I thought Aldrea and Dak named dracon beams? I'm positive they mentioned that the shredders the Yeerks had initially were being altered, the result being the dracon beams we see in the regular books. It was either them or Esplin who mentions it, but I could have sworn it was in HBC.

Offline Adrian Malacoda

• Break me off a piece of that
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 11:22:33 PM »

"Pool" is a Yeerkish concept, unlike "bug" or "blade.", so Pool Ship is probably a Yeerk name. I think it's safe to say that Pool ships were built later in the war (unless there was a pool ship in HBC, which I don't recall). Makes you wonder where "Dracon beam" (also a Yeerk name) comes from.

I might totally be off, but I thought Aldrea and Dak named dracon beams? I'm positive they mentioned that the shredders the Yeerks had initially were being altered, the result being the dracon beams we see in the regular books. It was either them or Esplin who mentions it, but I could have sworn it was in HBC.

"And we began to notice other things. The shredders we captured were being altered. The Yeerks called this new weapon a "Dracon beam." It did not kill as cleanly as a shredder. It caused more pain." HBC, p. 86.
Free Software Foundation associate member #8136

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 11:25:24 PM »
Ah, well. There you go. Never mind.  :-X

Offline adeon222

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Without whom, we would all be lost...
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 12:34:31 AM »
It's entirely possible that "Dracon" was first attributed to the weapon by the yeerks - it being their own "invention" developed from the Andalite shredder and other lesser known alien weapons. And since they did have their own language, it might be a yeerkish word, but I for the life of me can't imagine where the yeerks came up with that on their own.

I think it much more likely that they took an alien word to apply to the weapon.

Aaaand this entire post has been completely off topic, so I apologize, Fwahm.

So, I think that "Pool" and "mother" were siphoned from the Andalites, and possibly the Gedds.
- Ha! Totally not all off topic!
"Hey, who taped a full color picture of a forum to my screen? And why won't it come off??? What?? it's an Animorphs forum, and you can talk about your favorite Animorphs and such??? Oh, Best Thing Ever! Best Thing Ever!"

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 03:25:05 AM »
well on the bug fighter-mother- naming being foreign concepts and furthermore names given to them by the enemies of the yeerks,
this has precedence in human history: whig, tory, quaker, protestant were all terms of abuse that the subjects took up with pride.
I wonder where the linguistic origin of the term dracon would have come from? If indeed it is a yeerkish word.
What indigenous word would've inspired the words creation.

this gets back  to fire vehicle and train: the chinese character for train is a combination of the characters for 'fire' and 'vehicle' because trains are vehicles that run on fire.
Now my guess that dracon means 'fire' or 'dissolve' but would the aquatic yeerks have had a word for fire? maybe it is a Gedd word: after all yeerks communicate with squeeks so it should sound sort of squeeky esplin... edriss... and gedds would've had fire? but since so many yeerk names have rr's in them??