Author Topic: Cryak=Cthulu?  (Read 1273 times)

Offline animefanboy

• I'd shake your hand, but, you know, peanut arms
Cryak=Cthulu?
« on: April 13, 2010, 12:04:26 AM »
I was reading some Lovecraftian stuff, and suddenly this idea popped into my head, could the Cryak be an allegory for Cthulu (Or any of the Old Gods)?

Forever Blue

Offline Shock

• Xtreme Member
  • Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
Re: Cryak=Cthulu?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 12:50:15 AM »
I was reading some Lovecraftian stuff, and suddenly this idea popped into my head, could the Cryak be an allegory for Cthulu (Or any of the Old Gods)?

really? Cryak was completely understandable in human terms. he was the "evil one" compared to the "goodness" of the Ellmist.

Cthulu is beyond such terms of "good" and "evil". he is beyond even whatever term humans come up for him because it is litterially beyond our understanding to know and if we did know what it really was, we would go completely mad.

Cannibals are seriously messed up
[17:05:27] Reiyn: Shock's tact and diplomacy is unparalleled.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information. For in his heart, he dreams himself your master
Quote from: K.A. Applegate
So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 05:44:47 AM »
Crayak is more like the personified form of evil, just as Ellimist is a force for good. I tend to interpret it as God versus Satan, although I believe Crayak is at least partly based on Sauron from Lord of the Rings (does that mean Drode is Gollum?) :P
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 10:12:57 AM »
X3 Nah. Gollum wasn't exactly a servant of Sauron, although you could argue that anyone who kept that ring as long as he did was. I guess the Drode is more comparable to Saruman?! XDXD

I never really saw Crayak as being a Devil-like figure, though the similarities were obvious enough and he might have been the Andalite equivalent if there ever was one in the past. Perhaps because in my head it is much worse to oppress and control something than to eliminate it. We never really got too much motive other than paranoia and "remake the universe in my own image" type stuff on why in the world Crayak wanted to kill off all sentient species except those he made.

Though his constant messing with Jake and the "deals with the devil" offered through the Drode suggest otherwise. ; )

BaronConall

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 10:04:24 PM »

Firstly, sorry but I must be pedantic here. It's spelt Crayak :P (Cthulhu is open to interpretation since it's an alien word to humans, like Metallica's Call of Ktulu)

Okay.
H.P Lovecraft based many of his sci-fi/horror ideas around the fact that most otherworldly beings are simply beyond our primitive scope of understanding since, in terms of universal evolution, we are ourselves quite physically and mentally primitive (a nice change from that "Humanity is awesome! We will meet aliens and kick their butts! ID4!!!" Hollywood idea).
Cthulhu (and Cthulhu-Spawn) has this nasty habit of driving his victims insane, sometimes just by the sight of him, other times by messing with their minds (fisherman is in a lake in summer, Cthulhu-Spawn appears and freezes the lake, fisherman runs across the lake to tell people but the lake is normal when he returns) and there are countless other species refered to in Lovecraftian novels that just can't be explained properly in the stories (Mountains of Madness gives a brief "From what I can figure" descritpion of the creatures preceeding man and doesn't even touch upon the education system used because it's so advanced and mind-boggling) because they are beyond the scope of human comprehension is every way.

The simplest link between Crayak and another book character would be Sauron (Big Red Eye) from LotR.

An interesting theory though. As a Lovecraftian fan myself, I like where your mind is at ;)

Offline animefanboy

• I'd shake your hand, but, you know, peanut arms
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 10:48:21 PM »
Ah, I knew I mispelled something. See, the reason I thought of the connection is because Crayak can literally do almost anything he wants, he more or less a god. Then again, Cthulu is just a priest, right?

Forever Blue