Author Topic: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers *treatment and ideas*  (Read 2863 times)

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers *treatment and ideas*
« on: April 06, 2009, 11:25:45 PM »
So I've been thinking about writing a trilogy of fan scripts that would work as kind of a Big Budget Hollywood revival of the original Power Rangers, like along the lines of Transformers and Star Trek and G.I. Joe all those - bigger budget, better effects, known actors, aimed at an older audience, more serious tone, ect. I've got some jot notes made up, along with a potential dream cast list. Let me know what you all think about it, and feel free to suggest your own cast ideas as well, cause most of them were made up on spare-of-the-minute and could change anyway, lol. Once I start actually writing the treatments, I'll post those here. I want to get the treatments for all three written before I start on even the first script.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers:

Jason – Chris Pine
Kimberly – Summer Glau
Zack – Bow Wow
Billy – Johnny Galecki
Trini – Charlene Choi
Zordon – James Earl Jones
Voice of Alpha – Reno Wilson
Rita – Tilta Swinton
Voice of Goldar – Jeremy Irons
Bulk – Ethan Slurpee
Skull – Johnny Lewis

Plot: The Rangers get their powers after Rita arrives on the Moon and starts Invading the Earth with her army of enslaved alien races and monsters.

- Jason really likes Kim and Kim kind of likes him back but would rather just be close friends then anything more. Jeff's note: I want this to be in there because most people agree that it seems like Jason and Kim have a tiny bit of chemistry together when the series first starts, and her and Jason were on a date in the Turbo movie

- The Rangers are in college in this instead of high school, and have jobs as well. Jeff's Note: I did this due to the cast I picked. It would be impossible to pass most of them off as high school kids.

- Bulk and Skull won't be in the first movie much, but will be more prominent in the sequels when they start trying to find out who the Rangers are. In the first, they'll just have minor roles.

- Military tries to take the Monsters down with both soldiers and various vehicles/weapons, but with little to no success.

- The monsters take special pills to make themselves grow when they feel they need to. Jeff's Note: I want to try to limit Rita's 'magical' powers in this.

- Toward the end, while the Rangers are fighting Goldar and the last of the Monsters for the main final battle, Rita finds a way to enter the Morphing Grid, with the intention of controlling it/becoming One with it, and thus not only becoming more powerful then she could ever imagine, but also being able to control and thus take away the Rangers' powers, and kill Zordon once and for all. However, Zordon gets Alpha to destroy his containment unit so he can return to the Morphing Grid to do battle with Rita, continuing a centuries-old feud.

- While the Rangers fight Goldar, their powers fluctuate depending on who is winning the Morphing Grid fight. When Rita is winning, their powers lessen, and even go away at times. When Zordon is winning, their powers return and they can resume their fight.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers II: Green with Evil

Tommy – Sam Witwer

Plot: Rita returns from her supposed death in the Morphing Grid, and she discovers that she still has a slight connection to the Morphing Grid. She uses that Connection to make a new Power Coin, which ultimately uses so much power that she uses up her connection to the Power Grid. She uses that newly-made Power Coin to make an evil Green Ranger to extract her revenge on the Power Rangers and continue her invasion of Earth. She also sends Goldar and a couple others in search of the mystical Spear of Destiny due to its rumored power.

- Kimberly starts falling for the new kid, Tommy, which makes Jason jealous and causes him to 'fight dirty' against him during the Martial Arts tournament and get disqualified, which he also blames on Tommy. This begins to cause a rift between him and Kim as well.

- At the end, Tommy gets waken from the evil spell or whatever I decide to go with, and he returns to Rita's Palace to knock out the communications and do as much damage as he can before he gets sent back to Earth by a pissed-off Rita. Back on Earth, he helps the Rangers against the last of Rita's new batch of Earth-invading alien monsters, as well as Goldar who got the Spear of Destiny, and ends up sacrificing all of his power to destroy Goldar and the Spear before he can use it to kill the Rangers. However, with all of his power sacrificed, he no longer is a Ranger, but he and Jason ends up becoming good friends, and he vows to always help the Rangers in any way that he can, even without his powers.

- It'll end with Lord Zedd arriving at Rita's Palace, but we don't actually get to see him. One of Rita's minions will finally get the power back up and running from Green Ranger's attack, and notices something on the scanners. When Rita asks him what it is, he stammers 'Lor...Lord Zedd', in which Rita gets very scared, but relaxes when she asks if he's on his way and her minion says 'No', but then worries even more when he continues 'He's already here', and then there's a very loud, strong, banging sound on her Palace doors, and that will be where the script ends.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers III: The Reign of Lord Zedd

Voice of Lord Zedd – Frank Welker

Plot: The Rangers have more then met their match when Lord Zedd invades Earth with no mercy and makes Rita's previous attempts seem like childplay.

- Kimberly and Tommy are dating in this one.

- Lord Zedd takes over the Invasion of Earth from Rita, and is ten times more powerful. He plunges the entire world into a continual darkness that will cause the death of all life on Earth due to lack of sunlight. To quicken the pace, he sends some alien monsters down as well.

- There will be a cult introduced in this one, that worships Rita, and then Zedd, due to the events of the previous movies and them believing its only a matter of time until Earth falls, so they feel they want to get on the Aliens' good sides. However, Lord Zedd has no good side. He turns them into monsters that will be so grotesque that I'll draw inspiration for them straight out of the mind of Clive Barker. Before that though, while still humans, they try to cause problems for the Rangers here and there.

- The Rangers are in way over their head this time – until Zordon reveals he has been working extensively on a new Ranger, even more powerful then any of them – the White Ranger, which turns out to be none other then Tommy.

- After saving Earth this time, the Rangers realize they need to go on the offensive if they want to put an end to it all, and blast up to the Moon to destroy Rita's Palace once and for all, and they get into a battle with a very large Lord Zedd, and Rita's and Zedd's remaining minions and monsters.

- This will be the final movie in the trilogy.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 02:40:19 PM by Slushie Man »

Offline Gaz

• RAF's Resident Coffee Addicted Pirate
  • God
  • Forsooth!
    • Rachel Recaps
Re: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers *treatment and ideas*
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 10:15:54 AM »
Wow. That sounds really interesting. I can totally picture James Earl Jones as Zordon.

Offline Slushie Man

• Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 10:26:33 AM »
I originally had Peter Cullen listed for that, but I changed it cause I thought it would be a bit TOO close to Transformers then, plus I decided to actually SHOW Zordon in his natural form when he fights Rita in the Morphing Grid, and Peter Cullen is a great voice actor, but I don't know about on-screen actor, so I changed it to another famous voice actor that IS a good on-screen actor - James Earl Jones, lol.

Those that want script updates as I write them, just give me your e-mail addresses and I'll send script pages to you every 5-10 pages or so, and you can read them and give me feedback on them. I'm trying to give them a more serious tone, aimed at an older audience (The people who were Power ranger fans when they were kids in the early 90's), yet keep enough in-jokes and winks in there as well. Scripts don't format well on this site, so when I finish writing them, I'll upload the file to my blog or something, and just put a link here to there.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 10:30:06 AM by Slushie Man »

Offline Gaz

• God
  • Forsooth!
    • Rachel Recaps
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 10:40:58 AM »
I'd love to get updates! My e-mail should be in my profile, or I can PM it.

Zordon's natural form would be cool. The original movie was weird cuz he was an old man in a burlap sack.

Offline Tyler

• Evil Kit Clown from Space
  • God
  • I'll kill you all!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 10:42:02 AM »
Bulk has to be Ethan Suplee, duh.
I am eternal. I am the Eater of Worlds.

Offline Slushie Man

• Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 10:50:14 AM »
Bulk has to be Ethan Suplee

Thank you! I'e been racking my brain for days trying to think of an overweight young-ish actor that could be Bulk, but the only ones I could think of were older actors, like, really older, lol.

Offline Slushie Man

• Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 03:28:05 PM »
Ok, so I decided to go ahead and write the first script, without doing the treatments. I figured I can always go back and change things in it, if I want to do things in the sequels that contradict the first, or that I'd like the first to hint at or something.

I've currently got the first 12 pages or so done, so anyone that wants to read what I got so far, let me know. Gaz, I'll be sending it to you shortly.

Offline Gaz

• God
  • Forsooth!
    • Rachel Recaps
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 03:28:49 PM »
Sweet! Can't wait to read it.

Offline Tyler

• Evil Kit Clown from Space
  • God
  • I'll kill you all!
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 05:15:41 PM »
If you could email them to me that'd be just peaches.

Oh, and happy to help mate; though unfortunately I just remembered that Suplee has lost a LOT of weight. Oh wells, he'd still be good. And I think Seth Green could play a good Skull.
I am eternal. I am the Eater of Worlds.

Offline Xan

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • It's a Trap!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 12:52:46 AM »
Needs to be made by My Way Entertainment. Check their Youtube vids these guys are AWESOME!

Offline Slushie Man

• Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 12:07:29 AM »
So anybody had a chance to read the 12 pages yet? At the end of those 12 pages is the treatment of the next couple scenes as well, as that was how far I got in the treatment before I decided to just start on the script.

Offline Gaz

• God
  • Forsooth!
    • Rachel Recaps
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 12:14:00 AM »
I'll read it soon. My mom is up visiting right now, so I've been distracted. lol.

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 09:15:20 PM »
that's good. except

1. you should keep the original voice actors

2. Bow Wow as Zach? i can't think of anybody else but still, Bow Wow? as a power ranger? I actually think this guy would make a good Zach, he even looks kinda like Zach(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tristan_Wilds) he did good in "Secret Life of Bees"

3. It'd be nice to have more than 3 movies so u could include Aisha(Hottest yellow ranger), Rocky, and Adam(the best Black ranger).

4. Billy's actor seemed a little old
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 09:24:50 PM by Army Blue! »
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline Slushie Man

• Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 09:27:46 PM »
1. you should keep the original voice actors

No, I'm trying to make this as close to what a Big Budget Hollywood re-imaging would be like. Plus most of them are currently dead.

ow Wow as Zach? i can't think of anybody else but still, Bow Wow? as a power ranger?

His roles in movies are generally very close to how Zach is. Plus I couldn't think of any other young black actors that are semi-known that would fit the role.

It'd be nice to have more than 3 movies so u could include Aisha(Hottest yellow ranger), Rocky, and Adam(the best Black ranger).

I'm trying to keep it simple, plus most everyone agrees that the very originals are their favorites and most well-known.

Billy's actor seemed a little old

You don't watch Big Bang Theory do you? He plays a character that's almost identical to Billy.

Offline Gaz

• God
  • Forsooth!
    • Rachel Recaps
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 03:26:57 PM »
Can't really say much about most of the actor choices since I'm only familiar with a couple (James Earl Jones and Jeremy Irons).

As for the script itself, I liked it! So far it seemed well adapted for film, but it still had that classic Ranger episode feel to it. The dialogue seemed natural for the characters.

:thumbsup: