Author Topic: Environmental Determinalism?  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Azguard

• God
Environmental Determinalism?
« on: October 23, 2008, 10:53:45 AM »
 I'm not sure if this question was posed before, but I'll state this simply.

Do you think the Yeerks are the way they are (aggressive, proud, greedy) because of the way they are (they HAVE to infest others to gain senses and expand themselves)?
RAFcrushin on Tyler. Come on, isn't everyone?

Offline Shock

• Xtreme Member
  • Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
Re: Environmental Determinalism?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 11:01:31 AM »
i wouldn't say that, most yeerks (im basing my theroy off of The Hork-banjir cons) didn't really like it infesting the host while some other did.
Cannibals are seriously messed up
[17:05:27] Reiyn: Shock's tact and diplomacy is unparalleled.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information. For in his heart, he dreams himself your master
Quote from: K.A. Applegate
So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 03:02:57 PM »
I think it's more due to the corrupt government than anything else. You can't get high up in the ranks without becoming like Visser One through Four, and getting a high rank helps keep you alive.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Azguard

• God
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 03:04:14 PM »
 so if the Yeerks did have the morphing ability they would actually be quite human in emotion? or possibly?

Offline demos666

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Satan is dad, hell is my home.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 03:54:56 PM »
well look at what most people see about us nothing but evil
The only thing brought by war is death because the victor writes history
My Theme song is The Number Of The Beast-Iron Maiden
Save a fire, Burn a tree
I put the laughter in manslaughter
“I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter.” - Winston Churchill
"Vidi, Vici, Veni." - Julius Caesar
"Hope is the first step to disappointment" - Librarian, Blood Ravens

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 04:18:48 PM »
I think some Yeerks became proud and greedy because a) they were influenced heavily by their society's propaganda or b) they were just crazy and power hungry.  We do know that there were Yeerks who didn't like infesting people, and I think exposure to so many different host species (especially humans) helped the less proud and greedy psycho-Yeerks figure that they felt sympathetic to the host species.

Those who were aggressive probably weren't exactly helped by the strict, aggressive nature of Yeerk society and their biological lot in life, but since they weren't aggressive--and in fact were pretty peaceful supposedly, before becoming an Empire--across the board it's probably more a nurture (the government), not a nature (their biology), thing.

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 05:22:28 PM »
i really think the yoorts and the yeerks should meet.
iskyoort, ishyeerk, who knows?

Offline Shock

• Xtreme Member
  • Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 08:12:03 PM »
i've actually come up with four factions in the yeerk goverment in one of my fanfics. the first one is are the extremeist "take the people and burn their village" faction to their lesser "take the people but keep the village, we can use it for latter" (this explaines the main difference between why earth turns into a craphole when the yeerks take over while the hork-banjir homeworld stays the same. different ideaologies in goverment). on the more peacist factions, you have a moderate group who simply see yeerks using other hosts as "distasteful" while the extremist see that the war as a preversion of yeerk sociality as a whole (one qoute from them: "we were once a sociality of culture and learning, we prasied the andalites when they came and marvel that we would soon travel the stars. but some of us look to the same stars with envy and slienced all who stood in their way with gunshots and lights. we watched with stunted lips as those who slienced us took to the stars and destoryed our name in gunfire. all we could do was wept")
Cannibals are seriously messed up
[17:05:27] Reiyn: Shock's tact and diplomacy is unparalleled.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information. For in his heart, he dreams himself your master
Quote from: K.A. Applegate
So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack.

Offline Azguard

• God
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 12:41:53 AM »
 i think what can also factor into is, there were only a fraction of Yeerks who left the homeworld. The ones who left probably propelled the movement to destroy and conquer.

Offline wolfev

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 07:19:21 PM »
yea, they are indoctrinated into it. Remember though, they live pretty sad lives in the pool. Being in a body is like crack to them. Its almost an addiction.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]https://vspace.vassar.edu/evwaldron/warriors/banner2.jpg[/img]

Offline Azguard

• God
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 07:24:39 PM »
 so in a way, i guess what appears to be greed and pride to us, may actually be pretty normal for them as they have to be to have a body. But they probably know they're pretty hated, and I bet that sucks to them when all they want is what everybody else has.