Author Topic: Guilty Pleasure Books  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Kal

Guilty Pleasure Books
« on: February 21, 2012, 08:03:22 PM »
Are there any books in the Animorph series that are more often than not disliked by the fans, or you know the book isn't that good, but you still enjoy it anyway?

If that was a little confusing. Are there any books that everyone seems to hate, but you kind of like?

I'm embarassed to admit this, but I like #44 The Unexpected. Yes it's stupid, pointless, part of the Cassie trilogy of awful. But I can't help but enjoy it. And I have no reason to. I've never been in to the Austrailian outback, and usually I get annoyed at books like this that are not part of the major storyline. I should actually hate that book, but I like it.

This next one is even worse, though this isn't one that I like anymore.

As a kid I loved Alternamorphs 1. I was one of those nerdy kids that always wanted to be a fictional character and go on adventures. When I was into animorphs, well I wanted to be one. Alternamorphs was a dream come true and I completely saw past all it's flaws when I first read through it. I reread it recently, and it was... terrible. Inconsistent with the actual story and the second mission... well it was kind of boring and I couldn't finish it. I also thought that the writers had boys reading it in mind with the extreme biking hobby. Not that girls wouldn't be interested in extreme biking. Though judging by the character, a girl into BMX biking, who is shy and seems to do poorly in school, has a mom that is a good cook, could have been a very interesting character. Though besides that, it always felt like I was reading it as a male character.  Ah gotta stop rambling. Though I did enjoy the ferret part a little too much.

esplin

Re: Guilty Pleasure Books
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 09:17:55 PM »
Mine has to be number 41 "The Familiar."  I thought it brought up some awesome characterization, cool new alien races, a look into Yeerk culture, and a lot more.  It sucks it was written off with a couple of sentences in CAPS LOCK in the end but it was an awesome book. 

NateSean

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 11:10:03 AM »
I'm not even sure I'd say Alternamorphs was a guilty pleasure. If you read it expecting it to be part of the main story, yeah, it's gonna suck big time. But in the end it was another example of KA giving the readers what they were begging for. A choose your own adventure.

I read it several times.

Now Alternamorphs 2 has no excuse. I hated it and never read it a second time.

Offline Noelle

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • *Insert random text*
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 11:49:21 AM »
Book 38 for sure.  So inconsistent with the canon, but I've read it probably at least 15 times.

Offline yunyun

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Dreaming on :P
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 03:40:57 PM »
Just about every book people disliked in the main series. I just love the books, and I didn't care much about the plot. For me it was just 'I can get sucked into this book and enjoy it, I like it.'
Starfire is my RAFcousin. :D
click?

Thanks Ouroborus! ^_^

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 03:41:32 PM »
I liked 36 once they get to the Nartecs

I know some people hate 24, but I love me some Helmacrons. In fact that's why I hate 42, didn't do them justice.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 12:08:13 AM »
helmacrons and oatmeal. ALso William Roger Tennant. That guys name gave me a guide for naming minor characters.
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 12:40:01 AM »
First Helmacron book. :D It's amusing.

And yeah, I liked the first Alternamorphs, too! I keep wanting to write a fanfic set in the first Alternamorphs canon, actually... But funny enough, it wouldn't be a self insert! lol. I came up with a completely new OC for it. But yeah, I think it would be an interesting canon to work with, if I could come up with a plot.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 11:13:05 AM »
I kind of liked the Helmacrons to an extent. I didn't mind the Nartec book too much. I know book 2 and 3 are disliked by some that think they're just filler or that Tobias is too wangsty, but I liked them and thought his angst was justified.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 07:29:50 PM »
I have to cite #41 here. XD It was wrong in so many ways, but it was dystopian Animorphs. It really did, upon re-read, sound shockingly like the plot of a very lucid dream. I have honestly had dreams that vivid before. I think it would have worked better without the God-like entity.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 07:34:38 PM »
#48. As nonsensical and pointless as Crayak's little 'let's bring David back' plotline was, the end scene, where Rachel has to choose whether to let David live or die, is one of the most powerful scenes in the series, for me.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 09:57:32 PM »
I didn't mind book 48 either, though it did make me think what could have been. How David could have brought back earlier and been a good villain. Also Rachel showed she wasn't lost in the war and had her head on straight. She didn't need to be convinced that taking the deal with the devil was a bad idea. It was tempting, and who wouldn't at least be tempted, but she refused.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 02:39:31 AM »
I'm so glad other people like the Helmacrons!  I love #24, mostly for the Marco +Cassie moments.  I didn't like the second Helmacron book though.

I also like the dual Rachels book, although it probably could have been executed better it was a really interesting concept.