Author Topic: alternamorphs 2  (Read 1746 times)

Offline MoppingBear

alternamorphs 2
« on: September 03, 2009, 06:56:45 PM »
is it just me, or does this read like a poorly written fanfic?  i missed reading it my first time around. guess i didnt miss much.  it was obvious that you were supposed to be david, and i think the book tried to push it more than necessary.  

[spoiler]the animorphs decide to trap you as a nothlit after you refuse to stay out of the fight?[/spoiler]

i think vegemorphs portrayed the animorphs more accurately...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 12:35:05 AM by russianspy1234 »

Offline anijen21

Re: megamorphs 2
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 07:00:01 PM »
wait are you talking about the alternamorphs?

I kind of view those like the mcdonalds toys of the Animorphs franchise. Cheap, easy, quick buck with no concern about quality.
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline EscafilDevice

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 08:54:46 PM »
They're not a part of canon, they're just a fun choose your own adventure type thing.

Who cares? Stuff that WAS canon pissed me off a lot more.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 09:16:07 PM »
Yeah, both the Alternamorphs reeked.  They would have been kinda, well, almost cool if they actually were choose-your-own-adventure books.  But no.  They were you-go-this-way-or-you-die books.  No better than any other fixed ending book, except everyone dies at least five or six times before you even get to the end.

Gah.  FAIL.

Offline MoppingBear

Re: alternamorphs 2
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 12:36:19 AM »
the first one was at least decent, but the second one was total crud.  i get not being cannon, obv since "i" was never in the books, but they could have at least written the characters properly.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 12:38:07 AM »
i never liked them.
didn't seem to fit, wasn't fun to read.

it'd almost be better if rafians made a 'choose-your-own-adventure'.
that'd be an interesting project. :)

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 01:20:22 AM »
Aside from not being canon, did they provide any extra information that would be useful to our understanding like any new andalite words or yeerk names etc?
[spoiler]Is it possible that you can choose to stay and fight and be successful or do they always end up with you dying or being david nothlit? Are they just pushing the aesop that only the animorphs are allowed to be hereos and no one else can ever join and help save the world because only the animorphs are so fantastic?[/spoiler] This almost sounds like the nearest thing we have to David narrated book.

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 01:51:49 AM »
there are options where you can stay and fight, but the book actually pushes the escape / spy utility on you moreso.  there is one point in the book [spoiler]after you sorta accidently get cassie killed[/spoiler] where rachel asks you to promise to stay out of the way from now on.  if you refuse [spoiler]they trap you as a fly[/spoiler] if you agree all goes well.

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 02:11:23 AM »
basically only the animorphs are allowed to be heroes.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 11:57:02 AM »
i never liked them.

I would very much like to see that.  If a project like that got started, I would definitely help out with it.

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 11:33:05 PM »
meh, i am more interested in the moral message of alternamorphs...

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 12:36:54 AM »
i never liked them.

I would very much like to see that.  If a project like that got started, I would definitely help out with it.

me too. i'd be more focused on the layout of the story, rather than the writing itself.

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 12:51:26 AM »
Yeah, the second alternamorphs was pretty much fail.

I enjoyed the first one well enough since, even though the new char was supposed to be "me", I actually felt like s/he had a very well developed personality.

But the second one is obviously supposed to be David, so you don't even have that little bit of leeway to develope the "new" character's personality, so even that bit of enjoyability is gone.

When it first came out, I was actually expecting it to follow the canon of the first alternamorphs. So you would have had the same character, with the hyena battle morph, etc. Even if they had re-used an already-done mission, I would have accepted it more that way.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 12:54:08 AM »
i never liked them.

me too. i'd be more focused on the layout of the story, rather than the writing itself.

Hey, that works out then!  'Cause I'm a decently good writer, but I have no idea how the layout would go!

"Hi, Dave."  Should we make this an official project, then?  Or at least start a board about it, and see who else might be interested?

And what would we do, plot-wise?  Would we stick, at least somewhat, to the plot of the original Alternamorphs, or just scrap the whole thing and start over?

Oh, hang on, I've got an idea!  A lot of people hated the ending of the books, right?  And most everybody wishes they could see it done another way, right?  Well, we could have a choose-your-own-ending-alternate-final-arc!  Or possibly a choose-your-own-ending-sequel, if people don't want to see the plot of the original canon tampered with.  How does that sound?  It'd kill two birds with one stone if we could make it work.

In the choose-your-own-ending-alternate-final-arc scenario, the insertion part would be easy, at least.  "You" could just be cast as one of the Auxilary Animorphs, or possibly someone they recruited from another source towards the end of the war.  Only, we'd re-write it so that the Aux Anis could actually make a difference, depending on how you chose your actions.

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 10:50:12 AM »
Yeah, the second alternamorphs was pretty much fail.

I enjoyed the first one well enough since, even though the new char was supposed to be "me", I actually felt like s/he had a very well developed personality.

But the second one is obviously supposed to be David, so you don't even have that little bit of leeway to develope the "new" character's personality, so even that bit of enjoyability is gone.

When it first came out, I was actually expecting it to follow the canon of the first alternamorphs. So you would have had the same character, with the hyena battle morph, etc. Even if they had re-used an already-done mission, I would have accepted it more that way.

yeah thats what i was expecting as well, it would have been pretty cool.