Author Topic: Animorphs:The Graphic Novel  (Read 34778 times)

Offline wolfev

Re: Animorphs:The Graphic Novel
« Reply #210 on: December 06, 2008, 08:18:55 PM »
So what are we going to change? Listen, we can't get it all in and we have every right to change a few things. How about we do the first chapter with Elfangor and do flashbacks to how they all got to the construction site at first. Also, I always wanted the Marco Rachel relationship to be explained more. We could get a little more there. Heck, we could have Rachel break it off with Tobias at one point because she has an interest in Marco. If we do this and get a new fanbase, there will be people who ship Marco and Rachel. Also we can go back to the rough draft of the story at first. We could bring back Jake's younger brother and have an arc involving him figuring out the truth about Jake and Tom.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 08:20:44 PM by wolfev »
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]https://vspace.vassar.edu/evwaldron/warriors/banner2.jpg[/img]

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #211 on: December 07, 2008, 01:14:48 AM »
Hey wolfev, that's awesome writing.

Thats pretty good. How about this?
Could you make a change or two to the visuals
Frame 1: maybe make Jake a little down as well and Rachel slightly less perky. Remember, this was the day that Jake didn't make the basketball team. We can say that Marco probably failed some test too and that they went to the arcade to blow off steam.
Rachel: Rachel:Hey their boys. So Jake, whats bumming you? Its no secret Marco knows nothing about Shakespear, but Jake normally you... (They walk by not caring)

The sequence I drew there is a bit abstract. I actually didn't draw it to link with them meeting up at The Mall on #1 kind of thing. More like a random background sequence of them at school, where they wouln't 'hang' but through Cassie and Rachel the reader can be introduced to a silent interplay between these main characters.
Though my last two writings there in the last panel suggest otherwise, I know, hehehe.
Drawing Jake and Marco being 'down' would play well to what you propose here. But I think Marco (being Marco) would have a sharp return to what Rachel throws at him there. Just not sure if we could slip it into this layout.
I could create another one for that in an authentic sequence for Book #1.

Frame 2: Rachel: I don't get why you don't make a move on Jake? I mean he's my cousin, I won't be jealous.

Frame 3: Cassie: One step at a time Rache. Besides, if your so eager to micromanage a relationship, why don't you go for Marco.

Frame 4: Cassie: (Heart) Its a mach made in heaven. (Heart)

Frame 5: Rachel: More like hell if you ask me. I'm not letting you pass this one up. Now's your chance. Lets hit the mall, I give you million:1 odds that they'll be at the arcade.
This is REALLY good writing. It gives across exactly what I was trying to say in the sequence, with the appropriate 'voices' to the girls. Well done!

If nobody else throws anything, let's blend this!!!

...how about making Tobias slightly younger, ie the age he was suppose to be normally in the books 13ish and just age the other animorphs up? It plays more to his character design and adds a new dynamic to his original relationship with Rachel.
Why do you think that?! Does Tobias strike you as the youngest in the group?

Offline wolfev

« Reply #212 on: December 07, 2008, 02:57:49 AM »
he looks a little younger in your vision of it. Plus it could create for some interesting dynamics.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]https://vspace.vassar.edu/evwaldron/warriors/banner2.jpg[/img]

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #213 on: December 07, 2008, 04:24:05 AM »
Thanks, you lot!

Excuse-me, but... you draw with an Hork-Bajir body?!! Why don't you ask a Human body to your Visser? Truth me, it's really better, and maybe you'd need only 2 days...
Anyway, it's quite long... How many hours by day?
Hehehe! I go on and off. Maybe 6 hours in total???
If I stay in front of a computer too long, I lose motor control over this stupid Hork-Bajir... And need to go tree picking to keep him content, you see.
Try installing your computer on the tree, then ;)
6 hours... ok ^^ If I count drawing (with pencil then with pen) and "traming" (put the "trames" (woof?)), maybe I need the same for each page, too... maybe more in fact ^^' I'm quite bad with traming, I'm just beginning... Not that I don't like the Japanese way to draw but I use to draw only with pencil...
PS: Oh... I'll try to translate my first little story tonight ^^' please take a look on my DeviantArt again, later...

About the dialog, I like the both... but maybe Wolfev's one, with the joke Rachel+Marco is the best.

And Cassie is really better now. At the beginning she looked too masculine... Her face is feminine now, so I'm sure, even with short hair, it'll be ok. ^^
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline QIfry

• A 28 year old that won't grow up. Growing up sucks
    • M.O.R.P.H. - An Animorphs Fancomic Series
« Reply #214 on: December 07, 2008, 12:37:26 PM »
Absolutely love these pics! Can't wait to see more! Love the detail work!

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #215 on: December 08, 2008, 03:18:19 PM »
Those pics are AWESOME, and I also really love Wolvev's idea of fleshing some stuff out, and his ideas of what to flesh out sound really good IMO.

Offline wolfev

« Reply #216 on: December 08, 2008, 04:33:09 PM »
Okay, my friend who KNOWS comics just told me that we can do the whole comic and send it to a comic company. If they like it they will buy the rights from K.A.. Or we can just keep going and do this online. And I'm going to do a dummy script I think.

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #217 on: December 08, 2008, 10:11:36 PM »
Hey, I am not sure about this completely….
So what are we going to change? Listen, we can't get it all in and we have every right to change a few things. How about we do the first chapter with Elfangor and do flashbacks to how they all got to the construction site at first. Also, I always wanted the Marco Rachel relationship to be explained more. We could get a little more there. Heck, we could have Rachel break it off with Tobias at one point because she has an interest in Marco. If we do this and get a new fanbase, there will be people who ship Marco and Rachel. Also we can go back to the rough draft of the story at first. We could bring back Jake's younger brother and have an arc involving him figuring out the truth about Jake and Tom.

The idea of exploring Rachel and Marco’s interrelationship definitely needs to be done. There was only a brief suggestion of the two being in toes, and even so, I recall the flirting was only in Marco’s part. It was interesting, but never something concrete, for we all KNOW whose heart Rachel’s belong to.
I think FOR THIS PROJECT, we should try to stick to the plot as much as possible. We can’t get it all in, granted. Aiming to fixing K.A.S.U.’s, yeah, two thumbs up. But I think, to try to INVENT things that DIDN’T happen could only complicate things.

Developing a plot where, eg:. Marco and Rachel invest on a relationship, to then have it end or something sounds a little off tune to what we are trying to achieve here.
There never was, of course, a ‘Jake’s younger brother’. Again, this could be a genuine wishful thinking on your part. And there's probably lots of fanfics already with it.
Since we hardcore fans KNOW the whole series we can help each others in the whole storytelling process. The idea of a flashback intro is sound, it is important! WE HERE would know what to include in the flashbacks.

My concern is that Animorphs is such a great fantasy series, it has stories within stories to tell. The implications of actions and reactions of war (good X evil) has always been something I took with me from this series. But Animorphs is also a story about fighting the odds, change, personal sacrifices, friendship, love, loyalty, justice, truth to self, etc...
All of the above would consist of A LOT of TEXT and a lot of text = a lot of speech balloons in a comic book. These reading components tend to 'slow down' the visual effect, and thus, the story-telling gets hindered.
I am not sure I would do well in illustrating pages and pages of dialogue between the 6 main characters and dialogue and no action. I mean, if you guys knew what work goes behind creating these layouts. Can you imagine HOW MANY panels one would need to make to break up all those paragraphs make them look interesting on a page?!?!?! It’s a real challenge!

This is why I am going to say that maybe, we should give more attention to the story telling and focus less on things such as long conversations or interplay ...
All that stuff has already been done and can be found in the series!!!
A Graphic Novel is a different medium, as a tribute to the series we love, it holds the potential to make the reader GO BACK to this rich and special series we've all read back to front to get the REAL detail.
That's my perspective on this project.

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #218 on: December 08, 2008, 10:11:53 PM »
Thanks, you lot!

Excuse-me, but... you draw with an Hork-Bajir body?!! Why don't you ask a Human body to your Visser? Truth me, it's really better, and maybe you'd need only 2 days...
Anyway, it's quite long... How many hours by day?
Hehehe! I go on and off. Maybe 6 hours in total???
If I stay in front of a computer too long, I lose motor control over this stupid Hork-Bajir... And need to go tree picking to keep him content, you see.
Try installing your computer on the tree, then ;)
HAH!

6 hours... ok ^^ If I count drawing (with pencil then with pen) and "traming" (put the "trames" (woof?)), maybe I need the same for each page, too... maybe more in fact ^^' I'm quite bad with traming, I'm just beginning... Not that I don't like the Japanese way to draw but I use to draw only with pencil...
PS: Oh... I'll try to translate my first little story tonight ^^' please take a look on my DeviantArt again, later...
Kewl! Never knew about traming. It does look like the background stuff used in traditional mangas.

And Cassie is really better now. At the beginning she looked too masculine... Her face is feminine now, so I'm sure, even with short hair, it'll be ok. ^^
I still have troubles making them look non-super-heroie. They need to look like average young adults!!!

Offline wolfev

« Reply #219 on: December 08, 2008, 10:24:18 PM »
Fine, I'll stick to the plot more. But we need to flush out Rachel and Marco cause that WAS there.
Idea for opening:
Panel 1:We open with some very bloody gory scene, whatever you want, as along as there is a lot of blood and it is a war scene of some sort. panel 2: we see its just a video game when the big letters game over appear on the screen. Panel 3: We see from the game's screen perspective Marco and Jake looking in. They should seem younger looking than usual. This is to show how they are innocent prior to the war and even take pleasure in virtual war.

That scene you drew earlier doesn't need to be used until a later book. It could be a flashback showing why Tobias followed them all to the construction site.

If we are going to do a first run for this thing what will be necessary is that by the end Jake is aware that Tom is a controller or at least suspecting it. We should go pretty fast into the encounter with Elfangor. Please tell me what you guys think so I can write something and get this thing in print asap.

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
« Reply #220 on: December 09, 2008, 03:16:40 AM »
Kewl! Never knew about traming. It does look like the background stuff used in traditional mangas.

I still have troubles making them look non-super-heroie. They need to look like average young adults!!!

IT is the stuff used in traditional manga ^^' even in a little manga club, they use the same things than true mangaka!

You should remember they're only kids at the beginning, 13 years old... it's very young. So I don't know what you can do... look at 13-years-old kids in the streets or near the schools lol
Good luck ^^
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
My Forum

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #221 on: December 09, 2008, 07:32:33 AM »

IT is the stuff used in traditional manga ^^' even in a little manga club, they use the same things than true mangaka!

You should remember they're only kids at the beginning, 13 years old... it's very young. So I don't know what you can do... look at 13-years-old kids in the streets or near the schools lol
Good luck ^^

Headline news: Gafrash is arrested for stalking pre-teens. Evidence includes sketchbook full of renderings of children and weird centaur thingies. Stay tuned.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #222 on: December 09, 2008, 07:51:05 AM »
Ohohoahahahahah! :D I thought that sounded dodgie, too. Cracker! Nope. Won't be doing that!

wolfev, the scene I drew and posted here was just a little something to bring some of you writers out and 'play'. Not actual piece I intended to use. An experiment, if you like.
So far, only you have given us response. So, I'd have to go with you and whatever idea you want to bounce with the Elfangor encounter scene.

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
« Reply #223 on: December 09, 2008, 08:30:11 AM »

Good luck ^^

Headline news: Gafrash is arrested for stalking pre-teens. Evidence includes sketchbook full of renderings of children and weird centaur thingies. Stay tuned.

lol Hopefully, somebody understood ;)
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
My Forum

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #224 on: December 10, 2008, 05:13:38 PM »
Gafrash, I was looking at your dA page and you mentioned the usage of type, but not having the Ani-font. I think I have it stored away somewhere in my gigabytes of Animorphs info I've been collecting over the past ten years.

If I can find it I'll pass it along. :)

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013