Animorphs Section > Animorphs Fan Fiction & Art

Paragon Prince -- Ossanlin's Story

<< < (5/5)

Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin):
Thanks, Forlin!  ^^  Glad you enjoyed it.  I've got ideas floating around for the next chapter, but haven't put text the the keyboard yet.  I'm usually terribly irregular with the post-times on these things.

Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin):
Another chapter, woo-hoo.  This one's a bit shorter and is almost entirely plot expo, but it felt like a satisfying, organic stopping point.  So here it is.

[spoiler=Chapter 8:  Voices in the Dark]A Voice in the Shadows

Change was inexorable, Ossanlin knew that.  To deny change...to ignore it, or to attempt to thwart it was pointless.  Time moved, and change was its currency.  The price of its passing.  With time, as with tail-fighting, one could only adapt and move with the flow.  Such as it was, Ossanlin had a feeling in his gut...a spike of intuition.  As he rested in his sleeping cube, he could feel everything moving around him, changing.  Something was coming, he could feel it, and it was this feeling that kept him from sleep.

It had been several months since he'd been made Squad Commander of Swiftblade, and though the time had been short thus far, Ossanlin had to admit that it had been some of the best time he'd spent in his life.  Tail Fighters were his passion, there could be no doubt about that, and he'd adapted remarkably-well to his command role.  Swiftblade had been involved in several pitched battles over the past few months, and always made a difference in the battlefield.  But that which gave Ossanlin the greatest pride was the fact that he'd not lost a single squadron member.

Change was coming though.  He didn't know anything...hadn't been told anything, but somehow he could feel it approaching, looming, inexorable.  He sighed suddenly, exasperated with his inability to sleep.  He deactivated his sleeping cube and walked out into the concourse outside the Command Warrior quarters.  His cabin was right next to those of his squad mates.  They were all his family now, but that family had ever been temporary even from the start.  He shook his head and trotted to the dome.

The dome was empty at this time of night.  Almost no one availed themselves of the facilities during this portion of the night-cycle, and that suited Ossanlin just fine.  He walked, and then trotted around the dome, closing his eyes and losing himself in thought.  He thought of all those he'd left behind on the Homeworld...had it really been more than a year since he'd last seen everyone?  Mother, Father...sweet Siruvan.  Ossanlin shook his head at that thought.  "Sweet" Siruvan?  Siruvan had been a great friend, and Ossanlin hoped he would be again someday, but that thought had had a different connotation to it.  Of course Andalites acknowledged same-gender pairings, but it was still looked upon as out of the ordinary.  And Ossanlin had never had a thought like that in his life.  In fact, Arkani had been filling his mind of late.  His wingmate.  Would it not have been entirely inappropriate, he would have---....

<Hah, like minds.>  The thought-speech jarred him out of his reverie.  Ossanlin was embarrassed to admit that he'd not even heard anyone entering the dome, let alone the very object of his thoughts.  <I take it you couldn't sleep either, sir?>

Ossanlin slowed, directing a stalk-eye at Arkani as she approached him.  <I've had a lot on my mind lately.>

<Of course.  A commander never sleeps.>  She smiled coyly, walking up beside him.  <But you should always let your wingmate know where you are, else how is she supposed to protect your backside?>  She rubbed the flat of her tail gently against Ossanlin's flank.

Ossanlin, for his part, controlled his features though the surprise of her playful gesture shot through him with the strength of a lightning bolt.  He felt warmth spreading through his body and suppressed a shiver at the delightful feeling.  Arkani had been a tad flirtatious in the past, but she'd never been this forward  with him.  She continued dragging the flat of her tail over Ossanlin's fur up to his humanoid back.  <And it's such a pleasant backside to protect.>  She smirked and laughed coyly as she withdrew her tail and took off at a run across the dome.  Ossanlin gave chase, absolutely befuddled, but compelled to catch her.

After a spirited few minutes of galloping around the dome, Arkani finally stopped, her chest heaving, a sheen of sweat causing her lilac body to shimmer in the soft lighting of the habitat.  Ossanlin ran up to her, grinning with his eyes.  While larger than her, he seemed not quite so winded as she.  <What is the meaning of all of this, Arkani?>

<Oh come on, sir.>  Somehow the honorific had a different tone to it...she'd made it sound silky...seductive.  <You have to admit we have chemistry, else we'd never work as wingmates.  I'm female, and it just so happens that you're male.  And I like spending time with you.>

Ossanlin surprised himself by placing each of his hands upon Arkani's cheeks and bringing his face forward to touch breathing slits.  Arkani took in a surprised breath, but then exhaled in pleasure.  Suddenly Ossanlin pulled himself away, taking a couple of steps backward.  <No...no it's not right.  I'm your commander, and you're my second.  We're in the same squadron...>

Arkani stepped forward and gently but firmly placed her hands on Ossanlin's cheeks and brought their breathing slits back together.  <Why should that make a difference?  There aren't any rules or regulations against it.  Sometimes you're so uptight, Ossanlin.  You just need to...loosen up.>  With that, Arkani snared Ossanlin's tail with her own and Ossanlin gasped.  This was highly inappropriate!  Was she actually trying to engage in mating?  Ossanlin's body felt like it was on fire.

Suddenly a loud voice broke through the miasma.  <Ahem!>

Arkani backed off suddenly, untwining her tail from Ossanlin's.  Both of them had been so wrapped up in the moment that they'd not noticed the third entrant to the dome.

<P-Prince Kuro!>  Arkani stuttered a bit as the male stepped forward.

<You're dismissed, Command Warrior.>  His main eyes held Arkani's like vice-grips.

<I...I..yes, sir.>  Arkani quickly ran from the dome.  <<I'm sorry sir, I got carried away...it won't happen again.>>  She sent privately to Ossanlin as she disappeared into the ship proper.

<Prince Kuro.  I...apologize for what you saw.  It was...inappropriate .>

<That would be an understatement, Command Warrior.>  Kuro walked up to Ossanlin.  Kuro wasn't the largest Andalite, in fact, Ossanlin was actually a bit bigger than him despite being only seventeen...but the Prince had an air about him that demanded respect, and he exuded a confidence that said size didn't matter.  <You need to be more careful.  Fraternizing with those under your command is highly frowned-upon.>

<I understand, sir.>  Ossanlin looked down at the grass in submission.  Though he'd not instigated what had happened, he'd still allowed it to happen.  That responsibility lay with him, especially since he'd been the commanding officer in the situation.

<Well, we'll just forget it happened.>  Kuro fixed Ossanlin with a constant and steady gaze.  <To be honest, I came to speak with you, Command Warrior.>

<Yes, sir.  What do you require?>  Ossanlin looked up to meet Kuro's gaze.

<<I will be frank...I've been commanded to reach out to you.>>  Kuro began to walk around the dome slowly and Ossanlin followed suit.  <<Who are the People, Command Warrior?>>

Ossanlin was suddenly filled with unease and a sense of dread.  <<The Andalite People, Prince.>>

<<And who do we serve?>>

<<The Andalite People, sir.>>

Kuro paused a moment before continuing.  <<Come now, Command Warrior.  Do we truly serve the Andalite People?>>

<<The...Electorate, sir?>>

Kuro looked straight at Ossanlin with his main eyes, a look which demanded that Ossanlin cut to the quick.

<<We...serve the greater good.>>

Kuro finally nodded and continued walking.  <<Finally...results.  Of course we serve the greater good.  That is our duty, our true calling.  That is why we fight the Yeerks.  They must be eradicated for the good of the Galaxy.  I'm sure you can see that.>>

The conversation was beginning to tread upon treacherous ground, and Ossanlin had the distinct feeling that the future of his military career rested upon his responses.  <<The Yeerks must be as disparate of thought as any other species, Prince.  But I agree that the Empire must be destroyed due to the threat it poses.>>

<<Good, I was told you were intelligent.  Seeing the propaganda for what it is is the first step.  Tell me, Ossanlin...what do you believe about the propaganda?>>

Ossanlin took a deep breath, composing himself before answering.  He just needed to tell Kuro what he wanted to hear.  <<It's a tool, Prince.  Wielded by those who are charged with...guiding the Andalite people toward the greater good.>>

Kuro stopped, and finally smiled genuinely.  <<Oh, you will make an excellent addition.>>

<<Then you are Sector Seven, sir.>>  The statement is clearly not a question.

<<Just so, Command Warrior.  We seek out those with a...higher...view of things.  People of intelligence.  People of import.  You fit the bill quite roundly, Ossanlin.  An early graduate with honors...already a hero more than once over and a Command Warrior in only a few short months.  You're bound for greatness.  We can help you reach that greatness...or not.>>  Kuro stopped, fixing Ossanlin with another solid gaze.

<<Allow me to be frank once more.  Sector Seven wants you, Ossanlin.  The benefits of joining are vast.  Power, influence, notoriety...we are led by visionaries, Ossanlin.  The greatest minds in the Galaxy.  You can serve no greater good.  But our influence comes with a price.  If you refuse to join our ranks...well, it would simply be best for you to retire in such a scenario.>>  Kuro's tone belied no insincerity.

Ossanlin, for his part, repressed the shudder of dread that threatened to wrack his body.  Would they actually kill him if he refused?  Or would he be injured or discharged?  The coldness in Kuro's tone brooked no hint of exaggeration.  <<It would be an honor and a privelege to join Sector Seven, sir.  Ever have I wanted only the best for the Andalite People.>>

<<Splendid, I simply knew you'd understand our point of view.  I think you could become a very important individual within the organization, Ossanlin.>>  He paused, glancing around the dome with his stalk eyes.  <<We'll contact you again when necessary.  Otherwise, you will not speak of our conversation nor disseminate anything I have told you.  Continue on as you have been...for now, you'll have no responsibilities to us save your memory of this meeting and the implications thereof.>>  With no further ado, Kuro turned from Ossanlin and walked back out of the dome.

Ossanlin was left with bile in his hooves and a sinking sensation.  Somehow he felt like he'd just sold his soul, and for a price which was yet to be determined.  He'd only spoken the words Kuro had wanted to hear.  He knew that was all they were, yet he cringed at the thought of what he'd said.  It was all so...wrong.  But Ossanlin had always trusted Raigar, and it had been Raigar's counsel he'd relied upon for this meeting, though it be more than a year old.

Somehow Ossanlin had imagined some dark room with masked figures and some sort of oath or ceremony.  This had been a mere chat in the Dome.  But then perhaps Sector Seven had no need for oaths or any other sort of pretense.  If they were really as powerful as Raigar seemed to believe, they would be able to influence anyone who proved to be disobedient...if not directly, then indirectly.

He took a couple of deep, calming breaths.  His own intuition had not been wrong in the slightest.  What would Sector Seven ask of him...or demand of him rather?  Where would his life take him now?  Ossanlin's worst fear, perhaps, was that he might come to identify with, or even support, the goals of Sector Seven.  <'Never forget who you are...'>  Ossanlin's mother's words rang in his head.  Maybe that was the way through this mess...to hold to himself and his own beliefs and convictions as tightly as he could.

He shook his head a bit and trotted back into the ship proper, returning to his quarters.  There was simply no hope of natural sleep now, so Ossanlin used an option he rarely ever exercised...he administered a small dose of anizine to himself.  The mild sedative wasn't addictive, and had very few negative side-effects, but Ossanlin didn't care to use it anyway.  What if the Tree suddenly had to enter combat?  He'd have to take some sort of stimulant to counteract the sedative and even then his wits and reflexes would be dulled.  That dullness could mean his death, or worse, the death of one of his squad mates.  Still, his intuition screamed at him to sleep, and he knew that he'd never be able to do so tonight without chemical assistance.

As Ossanlin entered his sleeping cube and engaged it, his mind started to wander as it often did between waking and sleeping.  His thoughts slowly became more disjointed and abstract until sleep finally came.  Once the sedative took effect, his sleep came quickly, though it wasn't the most-restful.  Still, sleep was sleep.

Ossanlin woke with  a start, and later in the morning than usual.  He felt groggy and somewhat-removed...anizine commonly had that effect upon him.  He sighed and cursed a bit under his breath as he read the numbers on the wall chronometer...the extra sleep-in had cost him precious exercise time.  He'd have to forgo his morning martial-arts practice in order to be duty-ready.  Of course, the Tree was scheduled to remain in Z-Space all day and night well into the following morning, so there would be little for Tail Fighter pilots to do.  The morning dress-down and routine maintenance, that was about it.  Perhaps he'd have time for his 'morning' exercises later.

He felt a pang and realized that the delay in his morning routine had him hungry.  He'd have to make the run through the dome a cursory one...he'd barely have time before duty-ready.  He rushed quickly through the morning ritual, donning his uniform belt before jogging up to the dome.  It was busy this time of morning, though Ossanlin took pains to avoid interactions.  He returned the few tail-salutes that were aimed in his direction, going through the motions of eating as quickly as possible.  After a quick drink from the stream running through the middle, he jogged back down into the ship proper and made his way quickly to the docking bays.  The rest of his squad was already milling about the Swift Blade hangars.  Arkani quite obviously avoided eye-contact with him.

<Morning, Swiftblade.  Roll.>  Ossanlin came to a stop before his squad-mates, catching each of them with his main eyes.

<Command-Warrior Irania reporting for duty.>  <Command-Warrior Deknil reporting for duty.>  <Command-Warrior Kirtik reporting for duty.>  <Warrior Elric reporting for duty.>  <Command-Warrior Arkani reporting for duty.>

<Very good, all present and accounted for.  We don't have much scheduled for today.  Morning dress-down and go through your systems with a fine-toothed comb.  I know you'll all have that done by the mid-day meal, so as soon as those duties are completed, you have the rest of the day to yourselves.  To your ships.>

Ossanlin heard how sterile and detached his own tone sounded.  It wasn't like him to woodenly dole out orders like that, but last night's conversation with Kuro still had him reeling.

<<I really am sorry, sir.  I shouldn't have...I...Prince Kuro, did he...?>>  Arkani was looking at Ossanlin tentatively.  That wouldn't do, he couldn't afford to have her in this state.

Ossanlin quickly closed the gap between them, resting a hand on Arkani's shoulder.  <<It's okay, Arkani.  I'm not angry.  Neither is the Prince.  What happened, happened.  We were both participants and...>>  Ossanlin paused a moment before rubbing Arkani's shoulder gently and then removing the hand.  <<...I enjoyed it, Arkani.  But we're squad mates.  Wing-mates even.  You're under my command.  It's highly-inappropriate and as long as things remain as they are, we just can't go to that place, even if we both would enjoy it.  Okay?>>

Arkani smiled a bit and gave Ossanlin a grateful look.  <<I understand, sir.  I'm sorry I let myself get carried away.  But...if things change in the future, I would like to go to that place with you.>>

Ossanlin smiled and nodded.  <<The future holds the promise of change Arkani, and nothing is impossible.>>

With that Arkani smiled and moved toward her fighter bay.  The others had already gone to attend to their ships as ordered.  Ossanlin retreated to his own fighter bay and started the morning dress-down on his fighter when his ARC beeped and the holographic image of Prince Kuro's face appeared in front of his left eye.  <Command-Warrior, report to my office immediately.>

The ARC shut off and Ossanlin's hearts dropped to his hooves.  He'd thought, from what Kuro had said, that he would have some time to digest things.  To think it all through.  But a Command-Warrior did not ignore the order of a Prince, and Ossanlin set down the walkway at a brisk pace, controlling his nerves through sheer force of will.

<You're pushing him too fast, Kuro.  I'm telling you, reassigning him is a mistake!>

<Nonsense, Captain.  He's one of us now, and from what I've seen, he can handle himself.  He impressed me soundly with his level of understanding.  He needs to move forward.  The opportunity has presented itself and he'll take it.>

As he approached the Flight-Commander's office, Ossanlin heard two distinct tones, both of which he recognized.  One was Kuro himself, of course.  The other was Caseel.

<You're creating the opportunity on purpose!  Just stay on for another six months...he's more valuable in a Tail Fighter...>

The conversation died quite suddenly as the doors slid open.  Caseel looked somewhat upset...for him to show even that much meant the Captain must be very troubled indeed.  He also seemed a bit surprised to see Ossanlin standing in the doorway.

<Ah, Command-Warrior, come in!  I'm so glad you could join us.>  Kuro eye-smiled, but it wasn't pretty...more like a practiced mask executed by a person who'd never smiled genuinely during his entire life.  <The Captain and I were just discussing some exciting opportunities we thought you'd be interested in.>  Caseel still looked troubled, but Kuro only seemed happy.  <As it so happens, I'm transferring to a new post at our next cycle-exchange at Meridian.  Present First Helm Prince-Lieutenant Mescal will be replacing me as Flight Commander.  As such, the position of First Helm will need filling.>  Kuro 'smiled' again, nodding to Ossanlin.

Ossanlin felt as if he'd been knocked over the head with the flat of a tail-blade.  He didn't show it, but remained silent for a few moments as he processed what had been said.  His only facial expression, a raising of his eyebrows at Kuro, before looking over to Caseel.

Prince Caseel sighed and shook his head slightly before speaking.  <I'd like you to fill the position of First Helm, Ossanlin.>  His tone was almost as wooden as Ossanlin's had been with Swift Blade a moment ago.  Ossanlin furrowed his brow, looking back and forth between the two Princes with his stalk eyes, trying to understand just what was going on.  One thing was clear, however...with Kuro's threat still hanging at the forefront of his mind, Ossanlin felt as though he had little choice in the matter.

<I would be honored Captain.  Though I'm unsure that the rank of Command-Warrior is sufficient to fulfill the post, I will certainly do my utmost to live up to your expectations.>  Ossanlin sighed internally.  How could it all change so quickly?  He felt more lost than anything, and he knew he had to figure out what was going on somehow...the future of his career might depend upon it.

<Good!  Glad that's settled.>  Kuro clapped his hands together and glanced at both Caseel and Ossanlin with his fake eye-smile before moving toward the door.  <As such I'm sure the two of you have some things to discuss.  I believe I shall begin preparing my possessions for transfer.>  With that, the Flight Commander left his office, the doors sliding shut behind him.

<<I'm sorry, Ossanlin.  I tried to convince him to leave you in a Tail-Fighter.>>  Caseel looked sad and a bit crestfallen.  <<But he wouldn't take no for an answer.>>

<<Captain, I'm afraid I don't understand.  You outrank the Flight Commander, yet you speak as if he gives you orders...>>  Ossanlin directed his main eyes up at Caseel questioningly.

<<Ah...that.>>  Caseel fell silent for a few moments before explaining.  <<Ossanlin, people like you and I...and Kuro, we have two ranks.  We're initiates of the Andalite military, and are ranked accordingly.  But you'll soon find out that Sector Seven has its own ranks, and they have little or nothing to do with military rank.  You can guess which rank takes precedence...>>  Caseel shook his head before continuing.  <<Kuro is very highly-ranked within Sector Seven.  I know this because I was ordered to take him on as my Flight Commander.  Normally such officer positions are up to the sole discretion of the ship's Captain, but Sector Seven gets what they want.  From my dealings with him, I've come to the conclusion that Kuro is likely a Lord-Lieutenant in Sector Seven.  Just two steps shy of the Lord-Commander himself.>>

Ossanlin raised his eyebrows in surprise.  Sector Seven ranks over-rode military ranks?  So Kuro was actually ranked higher than Caseel?  He shook his head, trying to process all of the information.  <<Do you know why you were ordered to take him on, Prince?>>

Caseel merely raised his own eyebrows before speaking.  <<I think you already know that answer, Ossanlin.  He came onboard very shortly before you were stationed here, and now that you're initiated into Sector Seven, he's leaving.>>  Kuro shrugged his humanoid shoulders slightly.

Ossanlin laughed ruefully.  <<So he came to keep an eye on me, and to convince me to join.  I suppose I should be honored that they sent such a highly-ranked individual to recruit me.>>  Ossanlin fell silent before the realization about being 'reassigned' hit him.  He looked up at Caseel again, a bit of trepidation showing in his eyes.  <<Am I losing Swift Blade?>>

Caseel grimaced, looking at the floor before nodding.  <<Swift Blade is being...decommissio ned.>>

Ossanlin's eyes widened, his face showing his incredulity.  <<What?!  Prince, no!  Why would they do this?!>>

Caseel sighed audibly through his breathing slits before speaking up again.  <<For two reasons, Ossanlin.  And before you ask, there's nothing I can do to keep them together.  First, they don't want your history pulling back on you.  Swift Blade represents a temptation, a step into your past.  They want Sector Seven to be your home and family, Ossanlin.  But moreso than that...>>  Caseel paused, seeming to choose his words carefully before speaking.  <<...is the second reason...Ossanlin, your squadron has done some amazing things.  Don't misunderstand, Swift Blade was ever one of the best squadrons in the fleet, but under your command they've achieved nearly impossible feats.  Swift Blade is legendary now.  Imagine now that the squadron is decommissioned...fi rstly, it will reinforce your importance to the group, implying that they couldn't stick together without you.  Secondly, Swift Blade will remain a legend in the history books, and who will be remembered as Swift Blade's commander?>>

Ossanlin felt like spluttering, listening to Caseel explain the situation, barely managing to keep his composure.  <<Prince, each and every member of Swift Blade is just as important as myself.  None of the things we've accomplished could've happened without each and every one of them!  Are you implying that they would destroy one of the best Tail Fighter assets in the fleet just to boost one individual's reputation?!>>  Ossanlin did his best to control his tone, but he was having trouble.

<<Absolutely and without question, Ossanlin.  It's obvious that you're going to play an important role in the military and this war.  They're laying the groundwork to build you up as a legend whether you want it or not.  They simply want it to happen on their terms and not yours.>>  Caseel's expression was one of sympathy.  <<I'm sorry, Ossanlin.  I truly am.  You have my word that each and every one of your squad-mates will receive assignments that they'll truly appreciate.  I wish I could do more.>>

Ossanlin stood, stunned, silent, and most of all, abhorred.  How could they do something so foolish?  <<I'm sorry sir, but I feel that I should renege on my agreement for promotion.>>  He knew it would mean the end of his military career, but he couldn't bring himself to betray his squad-mates so.  They shouldn't be sacrificed just so some shadow organization could make Ossanlin out to be some sort of war-hero.

Caseel's expression went from pained to stern.  <<You've already agreed, Ossanlin.  And even if you hadn't, refusing this promotion would be military suicide for you.  I know you understand that.>>

<<Prince, I cannot sacrifice my squadron for my own career.  I will not allow that to happen.>>  Ossanlin stood straighter.  After the past night, after the other things he'd said, it felt right to once again speak his own mind.

<<It already has happened, Ossanlin.  It's out of your hands.  Even if you refuse the promotion, they'll dismantle Swift Blade.  If you don't play by their rules, they'll grind you under-hoof.  Don't throw everything away...>>  Caseel's expression looked tired, but there was no lack of firmness behind that visage.

<<At least I'll leave with a clean conscience and my head held high.>>  Ossanlin had already crossed the line into insubbordination and he knew it, but he couldn't stop now.

Caseel sighed audibly again, shaking his head before continuing.  <<Sometimes I forget, Ossanlin, that you're very nearly a child.>>  Caseel paused, holding up a hand to forestall any protests from Ossanlin.  <<Let me finish.  You have the intelligence of an officer.  You have the integrity, the bravery, and the bearing.  You're incredibly mature for your age so it's easy to forget that what you lack is the experience.>>  Caseel latched all four eyes on Ossanlin, his gaze deadly serious.  <<What do you think command is, Ossanlin?  Do you think it's all tail-salutes and miraculous wins where no one dies?  You're smarter than that, so it's safe to assume that you're simply avoiding the realization.>>  Caseel tapped a hoof on the floor.  <<You will command men to their deaths, Ossanlin.  You will give orders that will deprive mothers of their children...that will deprive sons of their fathers.  Your commands will end careers and lives.>>  Caseel paused a moment to let that sink in.  <<Do you think wars are won with a clean blade?  That Hork-Bajir you killed was an innocent host.  A son and possibly a father, being forced to fight you against his will.  You dispatched him.  Not the Yeerk, not someone else, you.>>  He paused again to get his point across.  <<Your tail will be soaked with the blood of both innocents and your own men, Ossanlin.  You may endeavor toward your ideals, but there will be times when you will be ruthless.  You'll be ruthless or even more of your Warriors will die.  You need to make peace with that, Prince-Lieutenant.  Welcome to the ranks of officership.>>

With that, Caseel swiped his tail at something on Kuro's desk, flinging it toward Ossanlin's chest.  He caught it with both hands, immediately recognizing the black box of an insignia badge.  He opened it slowly to see a gold-colored chevron laid over an aristh bar and Warrior crescent staring back at him.  The badge of a Prince-Lieutenant.  The first rank of Princehood.  While Ossanlin fingered the insignia, his fingers truly felt little but the hardness of the metal.  Truth be told, he was almost numb from Caseel's tirade.  His mind kept trying to refute the Prince's words, but no logic could back up his desire.  Caseel had made perfect sense, of course, but Ossanlin had somehow convinced himself that he could be different.  That somehow he could avoid the darkest realities of command.

Ossanlin felt his resolve waver as the thought of the Hork-Bajir's face ran through his mind's eye.  He had killed the poor creature.  He'd been seeing it as merely a Yeerk, but without that controlling parasite, the Hork-Bajir had likely been an innocent pacifist like the majority of his species.  He closes his eyes, fingers clutching tightly at the badge in the box.

<<None of your squad-mates have died, Ossanlin, and they're not being sent to their deaths now.  They're just being reassigned.  Listen, they're offering Irania command of her own squadron on the Starblaze.>>  Caseel's tone had become gentler again...a bit more soothing.  <<Deknil is being offered a position with Strategic Command on the Homeworld, and they want Kirtik to become a Tail Fighter instructor on the Homeworld as well.>>  Caseel finally stepped forward, placing a hand on Ossanlin's shoulder.  Ossanlin jumped a bit, but made no other movements.  <<I'm offering Arkani command of Doom Strike, and Elric will be allowed to join her if he so wishes.  They're down two members as of the upcoming cycle change.>>  Caseel stepped back before continuing on.  <<Never lose that will to fight against them, Ossanlin.  Keep it in your hearts, but appease them for a bit longer.  Let them believe you under-thumb.  One day you'll be able to oppose them.  Just...not yet.>>  Caseel moved toward the door, patting Ossanlin's shoulder once more as he walked past.  <<I'll expect you on helm simulations bright and early tomorrow morning.  Meanwhile, the Tree will be making a real-space stopover at Kerorat Station in approximately two hours...>>  With that, Caseel walked out.

Ossanlin continued to stand still, stunned and numb, in the middle of Kuro's office.  Prince-Lieutenant insignia in-hand.  Change was inexorable.  But for now, at least, Caseel was giving Ossanlin one last chance to fly with his squadron, and he meant to make full use of it.[/spoiler]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version