Author Topic: A Warning  (Read 3023 times)

Offline Whammy

• Surrender or Die!
    • Persona Lascivio
A Warning
« on: March 29, 2009, 07:19:22 PM »
Well, today my stepmom mentioned that she is thinking about cutting our cable due to the cost, and in the conversation that followed she mentioned the same thing about internet. Now, when she said that it sounded more like a joke, and I really doubt she would end up doing that.

But, just in case, I am warning you now that should that happen, my time here would basically be over as I have no other consistent way to get here. I would also like to say that I have really enjoyed my time here on this site, and I will miss it greatly should our internet be cut. I have had many good times here, from the roleplay in RAF Classic, debating in the General Boards, the randomness in just about everything. About the only thing I am glad about is that I downloaded all the Animorph E-Books, so at least I'll still have those. Still, for me those were a miniscule part of the RAF Experience (and yes, I still have not gotten far in re-reading the series).

And I would really like to apologize to Tocade for having her RAF boyfriend possibly just disappearing into thin air  :-[
Currently RAFDating Tocade. :)

“There is no genius free from some tincture of madness”-Seneca

"Great wits are sure to madness near allied - And thin partitions do their bounds divide”-John Dryden

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”-Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline demos666

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Satan is dad, hell is my home.
Re: A Warning
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 07:22:35 PM »
Is there like a RAF leaving plague going around?!
My Theme song is The Number Of The Beast-Iron Maiden
Save a fire, Burn a tree
I put the laughter in manslaughter
“I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter.” - Winston Churchill
"Vidi, Vici, Veni." - Julius Caesar
"Hope is the first step to disappointment" - Librarian, Blood Ravens

Offline Whammy

• Surrender or Die!
    • Persona Lascivio
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 07:24:32 PM »
Hey,unlike the others, I don't want to leave. It's just that there is a possible outside event that would basically force me to for at least a year or so. By then I'd be in college so I wouldn't care if my family here had internet or not. But by then, RAF would have probably changed so much I wouldn't be sure if I'd want to come back.

"Great wits are sure to madness near allied - And thin partitions do their bounds divide”-John Dryden

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”-Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Faerie Larka

• The Patron RAFian of Sarcasm
  • God
  • "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm."
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 07:28:33 PM »
Thanks for the heads up!

Hopefully it will be an extraneous warning, though.
RAFdating the Ellimist!  :D
Jess is my RAFWanderTwin!!

"Look like the innocent flower/ But be the serpent under't"
-Lady Macbeth

Offline demos666

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Satan is dad, hell is my home.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 07:31:03 PM »
Helpfully it was a joke but just in case, we will miss you.
My Theme song is The Number Of The Beast-Iron Maiden
Save a fire, Burn a tree
I put the laughter in manslaughter
“I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter.” - Winston Churchill
"Vidi, Vici, Veni." - Julius Caesar
"Hope is the first step to disappointment" - Librarian, Blood Ravens

Offline Whammy

• Surrender or Die!
    • Persona Lascivio
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 07:32:34 PM »
I hope so to. Like I said, the way my stepmom said it I doubt it would happen. Basically, my little sister was arguing and fighting over the cable being cut, and my stepmom said something to the effect of "Watch it, cause the internet may be next"

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 07:35:59 PM »
I really hope you don't have to leave, but if so, you will be missed.

May your days without internet be short, and may your computer be prosperous.

I hope so to. Like I said, the way my stepmom said it I doubt it would happen. Basically, my little sister was arguing and fighting over the cable being cut, and my stepmom said something to the effect of "Watch it, cause the internet may be next"

That sounds like a good sign.  I'd behave extra good for the next few weeks, if I were you.

Offline Toc'

• Xtreme Member
  • One of RAF's French residents
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 07:49:10 PM »
Well, today my stepmom mentioned that she is thinking about cutting our cable due to the cost, and in the conversation that followed she mentioned the same thing about internet. Now, when she said that it sounded more like a joke, and I really doubt she would end up doing that.

But, just in case, I am warning you now that should that happen, my time here would basically be over as I have no other consistent way to get here. I would also like to say that I have really enjoyed my time here on this site, and I will miss it greatly should our internet be cut. I have had many good times here, from the roleplay in RAF Classic, debating in the General Boards, the randomness in just about everything. About the only thing I am glad about is that I downloaded all the Animorph E-Books, so at least I'll still have those. Still, for me those were a miniscule part of the RAF Experience (and yes, I still have not gotten far in re-reading the series).

And I would really like to apologize to Tocade for having her RAF boyfriend possibly just disappearing into thin air  :-[

Why would your internet be cut???
 :o

Oh noooooooo   :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Pink Piggy: Anyway, these are standard assumptions in economics. I have no problem with them. Quantum theory also seems weird but it is accepted, that is the way of science.
Brown Piggy: Quantum theory makes no claim about the motivations or welfare of quantum particles.
Pink Piggy: You just do not understand the mathematics involved. This is typical uninformed criticism of economics.

¤  Sharing a special bond of RAFenmity with Wildweathel since December '08 ¤

Offline Whammy

• Surrender or Die!
    • Persona Lascivio
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 07:51:19 PM »
Economy going down the tube, so money is kind of tight. So my step-mom has kind of gone on a cost-cutting spree to save money.

Offline Toc'

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 07:52:43 PM »
Ok, I've just read the whole thread....
(I was so shocked at first that I did not want to read the rest before replying ^^)

How is it possible to live without the internet??
Pink Piggy: Anyway, these are standard assumptions in economics. I have no problem with them. Quantum theory also seems weird but it is accepted, that is the way of science.
Brown Piggy: Quantum theory makes no claim about the motivations or welfare of quantum particles.
Pink Piggy: You just do not understand the mathematics involved. This is typical uninformed criticism of economics.

Offline Toc'

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 07:57:21 PM »
Economy going down the tube, so money is kind of tight. So my step-mom has kind of gone on a cost-cutting spree to save money.

:-\ :-\ :-\

Phew, my mum is a civil servant... at least she can't be fired and the crisis doesn't touch our family a lot for now...
But I read it was terrible in the US.
:s
Is it ?

Offline Whammy

• Surrender or Die!
    • Persona Lascivio
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 08:01:59 PM »
Should she start to seriously considering it, that is going to be my argument. That, and probably about time I tell them about this and all the other sites I'm on. Considering that they are the main source of not only entertainment but social contact and a creative outlet (fanfiction, roleplay, etc.), I would hope to convince her otherwise. There is also my dad who I can turn to, and should I fail to convince her the first time, I could hopefully convince him and he would convince her.

But again, I currently don't think she would because she does use the internet. Besides, with my sister and I still in school, we need it for research unless she wants to drag us to the library everday to do it, especially since the 'just use books' argument wouldn't work well when you consider that the library is pretty small. Add in that we already have problems with scheduling due to my sister's tennis and my volunteer work, a research project would be a great way to convince her we need to have the internet.

But again, she probably won't get rid of it.

Offline Whammy

• Surrender or Die!
    • Persona Lascivio
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 08:03:15 PM »

:-\ :-\ :-\

Phew, my mum is a civil servant... at least she can't be fired and the crisis doesn't touch our family a lot for now...
But I read it was terrible in the US.
:s
Is it ?

Well, my dad hasn't lost his job, but my stepmom had been working part time and she was let go. That was before things got bad though. Now she is looking for one, and I hope she gets one because that would mean she would relax on the cost-cutting a bit and I really think it would be good for her.

Offline Gaz

• RAF's Resident Coffee Addicted Pirate
  • God
  • Forsooth!
    • Rachel Recaps
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 08:07:30 PM »
Good luck, man!

Offline Toc'

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 08:12:55 PM »
Yes...
She is probably a bit panicked by the situation?

How is your country going to go out the crisis if everybody stops consuming as your mother does?
 ;D
Jeez talk to her about Keynes !
"Mum, i spent all our money buying various things yesterday so that we can restart our economy"
(She might not understand and kick your bottom instead^^)

But yes, the internet is "essential" you can reach the world with it ^^
(see me :p I'm learning English right now !)