Author Topic: The Opinionated Animorphs Book Guide!  (Read 113419 times)

Offline Aftran261

Re: The Opinionated Animorphs Book Guide!
« Reply #225 on: March 31, 2012, 10:36:52 PM »
I was going to say maybe they don't have mass cloning facilities and are too tied up by the fight they have with the Andalites (and Vissers wasting resources on things like free-will draining magic potions) to develop one . . . but then I realised they could try to get a start at least. It'll get them more precious Hork-Bajir hosts, though I suppose V3 would want to keep his Andalite monopoly.
^Same. I kept getting the feeling, even on my first reading, that a few of them are trying to pull Cassie in a more interesting direction. But all of them had a slightly different angle in mind and some just seemed to not bother and make her even more ridiculous. Since the latter fits quite well with previous books, the overall trend made her look like her personality was time-travelling or something. XD
Also, I find your MM2 rants hilarious. :)

NateSean

« Reply #226 on: April 02, 2012, 05:07:25 PM »
First off, it's great seeing a new review. And I do appreciate your dedication to the project knowing full well that you're in job search mode. I liked your intro to this one which heralded the coming of the ghostwritten era as it told me a lot of things I didn't know about a writer I admired.

When I first got this book, something else came into my life. It was the year my mother got me a Nintendo 64 for my birthday. And the day I brought this book home I had also finally purchased my own copy of Golden Eye. I played that game well into the wee hours of the morning but I didn't want to go to sleep without finishing The Extreme.

The first snow level of 007, the one just outside the actual bunker itself with all of the snow and the trees, etc, was stuck in my head the entire time as I was reading this book. I kept visualizing the Venber as the Russian guards who approached and shot at me with their AK47's.

Anyway, I wanted to say a couple of things in defense of the story itself. The first one was of Visser Three's collection.

The collection of torture items really doesn't surprise me all that much. In Salem, Mass there used to be a store called Life and Death that was essentially death memorobillia. Embalming tools, coffin nails, fake vials of fromhaldehyde, etc. That shop lasted for a quite a while so obviously someone was buying the stuff.

And we've all ready seen from the Applegate written books that Visser Three is a guy who collects things he can use to harm others. Most specifically are the animals he kept as pets in Andalte Chronicles and the Veleek respectively. As a Yeerk grub he obsessed over the ability to control a new host and just the small taste of an Andalite and everything such a host had to offer occupied his thougts so much that he became the very first Andalite Controller, basically starting his collection with the tail blade and the morphing power itself.

As for Derek's belief that the Animorphs were spirits and your comments about people believing in such things in the 90's, I remind you that I live not far from Salem. This is a place that is known world wide for it's annual month long Psychic Fair every October and this has been going strong since 1950.

There have been and still are quite a few people who would see an Animorph and jump to the conclusions that Derek came to. It's one of the reasons why I think the Yeerks would have been smart to branch out from simply using The Sharing and exploit other religions for purposes of infestation.

Anyway, thanks again for the review.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #227 on: April 02, 2012, 06:48:08 PM »
Yeah I don't think the animal spirits thing is ridiculously farfetched. If you saw someone morphing (without any knowledge of Animorphs) you'd be thinking animal spirits, aliens, or freaky hallucinations. Most people's first thought would not be normal teenagers using advanced alien biotechnology to turn into seals and polar bears.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Noelle

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • *Insert random text*
« Reply #228 on: April 03, 2012, 12:27:40 PM »
I don't think the animal spirits thing is far fetched, but I think trusting a human they found so close to a Yeerk facility is.  A smart Yeerk would have played the "oh yeah...you must be animal spirits" angle then ran straight to the Yeerks and told them it was humans and saved their facility.

Offline poparena

« Reply #229 on: April 03, 2012, 12:40:34 PM »
I guess I shouldn't have been so flippant and expounded on my issues with this in the video. It really isn't so much that Derek believes in animal spirits as it how incredibly casual he is about it. Derek sees a seal turn into a guy and treats with same awe and wonder as someone casually reading the morning paper. I mean, imagine your a Christian, and a guy shows up out of the blue who can walk on water, heal the sick with a mere touch and feed a thousand people with one loaf of bread. Would your reaction be "Oh, neat, Jesus" or "HOLY **** IT'S JESUS"?
Winner, Best RAFproject 2011

THE OPINIONATED ANIMORPHS BOOK GUIDE

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #230 on: April 03, 2012, 07:09:29 PM »
Ha ha, fair point. Perhaps people are just more chilled out in the Arctic... no pun intended...

Offline poparena

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 08:14:31 PM by poparena »

Offline poparena

« Reply #232 on: May 05, 2012, 08:15:15 PM »
Had to upload a new version of Part Four. Youtube is giving me a lot of crap for some reason, I had to both cut some stuff and remove all the music.  :(

Offline Cloudbreaker

• My activity may be at/near 0% but I'm still here.
    • Animorphs: The Revival
« Reply #233 on: May 06, 2012, 12:49:40 PM »
Awesome review.  Keep up the great work!  These reviews are one of the main reasons I visit this site.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #234 on: May 06, 2012, 01:03:30 PM »
Loved this review and the book itself. I hate picking favourites in general, but #26 is almost definitely my favourite outside of the Chronicles books. Hell after your analysis of the themes and conflicts, I think I somehow like it even more now, since (as always) you manage to point out little details I'd never thought of before.

Pretty much the only complaint I have about this book is the fact that Cassie and Jake'd relationship doesn't seem to progress much after this book, possibly due to the ghostwriters. I mean do Jake and Cassie even kiss again after this book? The later books mostly give the impression that Tobias and Rachel have a stronger relationship, and he's only able to be in human form for 2 hours at a time.

Offline Noelle

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • *Insert random text*
« Reply #235 on: May 06, 2012, 01:30:31 PM »
Great review, I do wish the rest of the books could live up to this one.

But I never did get how Cassie didn't like Lion King...I loved it when I saw it.   :XD:

esplin

« Reply #236 on: May 08, 2012, 08:35:53 AM »
Great review and book.  Ditto on what Mike said.

NateSean

« Reply #237 on: May 08, 2012, 09:15:01 AM »
If there was ever a point where I agreed one hundred percent with everyone it's that the Attack is one of the best of the regular run of Animorphs. At that time I didn't know about the ghostwriter era. But knowing this is one of the last books KA wrote before they took over suddenly makes me all the more appreciative for the respect she showed her fans.

In the beginning of the review you said that no one had heard from Crayak since The Capture. And this is true in the actual storyline. However, on the published letters section of the Animorphs website, almost every other letter that KA responded to was a request for when the Big Red Eye was going to pop up. Applegate often commented that readers seemed obsessed with the concept since she mentioned it in Six, and at the time, she had no idea what to do with it. This was before The Stranger and I don't think she had fully developed the idea of the Ellemist as a regular player or what his nature would be. In The Andalite Chronicles, it's implied that the Andalites believed Ellemists were an entire species and not one being.

So The Crayak was very much KA Applegate's gift to the fans. It was a response to the thousands of inquiries as to what the creature at the end of The Capture was, whom Applegate referred to as The Big Red Eye. And to know that she gave us this gift in such a well crafted and thoughtful manner is a testament to the fact that however much she may jokingly downplay her readers devotion, she really was grateful and respectful to us.

Thank you for continuing to do these reviews with the effort and respect that you always put into them. You're like Applegate in that you do show appreciation to your fans by continuing to give us this small break from the pressing reality of our own lives, all the while juggling the challenges in your own life.

Words will never be enough to show gratitiude, so I can only hope that one day I can buy you a drink to make up for what words can't say. Because nothing says thank you like booze. ;)

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #238 on: May 09, 2012, 05:49:38 PM »
Well said Sean. I was also unaware of the ghostwriters until after the series had ended, but it's really cool knowing that one of the most widely considered favourite books was also one of the last to not involve the ghostwriters. It just seems right somehow.

I know that the first time I read #26 one of the things I loved was the Animorphs facing such a deadly threat that had nothing to do with the Yeerks. Especially since it was the infamous Howlers that wiped out the Pemalites. When I had to do a book review presentation for school and chose #26, I had to read out a short passage and I picked the part where Jake provides the first vivid description of a Howler. Even before they see one in action, you can tell they mean business.

Offline poparena