Author Topic: Memoirs of a RAFian  (Read 592359 times)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
Re: Memoirs of a RAFian
« Reply #4440 on: July 09, 2015, 07:08:32 PM »
Noted. Anyway, since I'm posting this now, the next chapter will be later than usual.

New chapter.

CHAPTER SEVEN:
Christmas Defeatings

"Ah, the Christmas decorations," said Ash, as they passed through the town square, "aren't they lovely?"

"Possibly," Blaze said, dryly, "if they weren't hanging since July."

"Oh, don't be such a grinch, Blaze!" Ash laughed blithely.

"What in the world --" Broken said, paying attention to a man in a calendar-print Santa Claus jacket and hat, with green slacks. He was carrying . . . was he serious? How could he just waltz in here carrying that thing?! What was wrong with him? What was wrong with this country that that was an acceptable thing?!

The Calendar Creep kept his slung item steady and at the ready when he belted out:

"You see, Valentine's is lovely, and my birthday is a bless,
New Year's is a lot of joys, and Arbor Day's the best!
Halloween's a horror, I guess, but I must confess
That I really don't like Christmas!
You see Flag Day is minimal, April Fool's is jokes galore,
Mardi Gras is an acquired taste, unless you own a candy store,
All these other holidays I can admit that I adore,
But I really don't like Christmas.
Now, it isn't that I hate it, at the most, I feel an intolerance,
But should I really just destroy it? I'll admit that I'm off the fence,
It makes me tense!
From the supervillain community, I'm sure to get elected,
But for Christmas I can summon all true invective,
Because what is there to like? I mean, it's really so subjective.
No, I really don't like Christmas.
I love puppy dogs and kittens, I love flowers in the spring,
Heck, I even love the sunshine and the birdies when they sing,
I can't work up animosity for almost anything.
Tell me why I don't like Christmas.
My childhood was atrocious, and Christmas was always that bad, you see,
So the most that I can muster is complete and total un-empathy.
What's wrong with me?
How can I prove that I'm an evil supervillain worth his salt,
When with a holiday so jolly I can't even halt?
If I was more ambitious, I'd launch a big assault.
I really don't like Christmas.
No, I really...
No, I really don't like Christmas!

I have an intense BURNING intolerance!"*

With that, he geared up his flamethrower and fired it at the tree in the center of the square. But Blaze got in the way, absorbing the flames into his wings. This engulfed them and gave him a slightly Moltres-like appearance.

The Calendar Creep shrieked like . . . oh, you probably already know by now. He, like the previous failed schemes (which were failed from the very onset), ran. Only this time, Blaze gave chase, the flames on his wings dissipating rather quickly during this flight.

"Wait a minute," Blaze said. He scanned everywhere before him and beneath him. "Where'd he go?"

Nowhere. He was nowhere in sight.

"How?!" Blaze blustered and raged. "How could I lose track of someone dressed like that?!"

*Song source.

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #4441 on: July 10, 2015, 12:17:17 AM »
He does have something more serious planned, right?

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4442 on: July 10, 2015, 03:13:29 AM »
Serious? He's basically our version of the Box Ghost. Although . . .

New chapter.

CHAPTER EIGHT:
New Fear's Day

"Goom, how many times to I have to tell you?"

"I know, I know," the little goomba said, "you're not a taxi."

"How many times have gone over this now?"

"Ninety-two, I believe."

"Have I made myself clear each time?"

"Yes, yes, Dino. You have."

"Then why are you sitting on my snout?"

"I was seeing if you're awake," he said, in a cavalier way.

"Well, I'm awake," she said, with a grunt, "now get off."

She glared bleary-eyed at Rocklobster, growling grumpily, "You know about this, didn't you?"

"Hey, don't get me involved." he protested.

"Too late, Rocky, you're involved," Dino said teasingly.

Before Rocky could protest again, a man in a calendar-print, three-piece suit with horn-rimmed bifocals. He carried what appeared to be a scaled-down Saiyan pod in a cannon-like framework. As to what he planned to do with such a device in a secluded spot in the forest, which happened to one of Dino's favorite napping spots while at her full size (according to her, it is nice to "stretch out" for a while), as it takes conscious (sometimes unconscious) effort to maintain her condensed form, almost as if her size shifting was a muscle that fatigued every so often.

"What the --" Rocklobster's voice was incredulous.

"Happy New Year's Eve!" the Creep declared.

"It's not even Christmas yet," Goom noted.

The Creep paid him no mind, as he lit the unseen fuse of the Saiyan pod lookalike, "Ten . . . nine . . . eight . . ."

Dino got up.

"AAAAAHHH!!!" the Creep screamed in terror. "A dinosaur!"

Dino exhaled near the Saiyan pod mockup,and the fuse went out, as the Creep ran away as fast as he could.

"Why can't they all be that easy?" she sighed.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4443 on: July 11, 2015, 02:53:54 AM »
Although, a better question to ask is where he is getting these gadgets and costume changes.

New chapter.

CHAPTER NINE:
Love Him, or Leave Him

Helen, Genies, and Azguard were at an ice skating rink. They were skating, naturally, with Az's cryokinesis somehow making him proficient at it.

"Why couldn't we just skate on the lake at the forum?" Genies said, sounding rather disgruntled.

"The ice is too thin there," Az said, knowingly.

"And you couldn't do anything about it?" she countered, tonelessly.

"Nothing permanent," he replied, vaguely.

"Oh, Steph, don't be such a sourpuss!" Helen chided good-naturedly.

"We don't all have power rings to catch us before our backside touches the ice," Genies countered. "I still wonder why we had to come here. We could have gone to the food court at the mall with Saffa and 'em, or to look town square's decoration with Ash and 'em. I mean, look! We're the only ones here!"

"So it just means we have the facility to ourselves," Az said, brightly.

"Ugh," Genies groaned.

"Happy Valentine's Day!" a voice declared.

"What the? Who is --" Genies said, turning to look at the person who spoke. Only to turn around immediately covering her eyes, declaring, "AAH!! MY EYES!! MY EYES!!"

This was because the Calendar Creep showed up and all he wore was a calendar-print diaper, a leather quiver, and a bow. Nothing else. And he wasn't much to look at -- scrawny and pasty white, short black hair on his head only, hairless elsewhere.

And the bow was not a toy. It was a legitimate bow, just not a compound one. The arrows were also not toys, though they were shaped like hearts, with indented part attached to the shaft, with the point being quite sharp. It was intended to be dangerous.

"Valentine's Day?" Az noticed. "It's not even Christmas."

The Creep ignored this, and took aim with his bow with an arrow from his quiver.

"Is he serious?" Helen asked, astounded. "Or is he just stupid?"

He let fly the poorly aimed arrow which missed all three without any of them moving an inch.

"Seriously?" Genies asked.

Another poorly-aimed arrow. It glanced off the ice and ricocheted behind the RAFians.

"I think he is," Az said, conversationally.

Yet another poorly-aimed arrow. It embedded its tip into the ice before the RAFians' feet, bending it and distorting it.

"This is just sad," Genies pointed out, pityingly.

The Creep ignored her, and fired another poorly-aimed arrow.

"What, did he go to the same school that taught Stormtroopers how to aim?" Helen asked caustically.

But apparently he had ran out of arrows and fled the scene.

"Well, that was anticlimactic," Az noted.

THUD!! Genies had slipped and fell on her butt.

"OW!! Can we please go home now?!"
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 02:56:27 AM by CloakedFigure »

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #4444 on: July 11, 2015, 03:01:53 AM »
That was hardly criminal, not counting the disastrous aim. :P

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4445 on: July 11, 2015, 02:48:46 PM »
Attempted murder, Saffa. He had genuine malicious intent, he intended to kill Steph, Helen, and Az.. Granted, it can't really be proven.

New chapter.

CHAPTER TEN:
Fools Rush In, Creeps Rush Out

"I don't like being out in the open, perfectly exposed, like this," Blue said, speaking from his ninja sensibilities. He, SuperNate, and Faerie were walking in a toy store, because SuperNate was looking for a holiday gift for his niece. He wasn't about to settle for any old thing, either. It had to be, in SuperNate's view, absolutely perfect.

They were lucky, it was early enough in the season that the store wasn't an absolute madhouse, just as SuperNate had planned and hoped. The toy store, in this hour, was in a brief slump, so they basically had the place to themselves.

"Don't worry so much, Blue," SuperNate said. "All will be well."

"Besides, you're the one who wanted to tag along," Faerie said.

"I don't why, though," Blue said. "I just sensed . . . something. Something was going to happen."

"I thought that was Cloak's schtick," Faerie said, irreverently. Blue said nothing, which led Faerie to tease him again. "You gonna start wearing a cloak and spout exposition and whatnot?"

"You need observe more quip, Faerie," Blue said, calmly and simply, "over there, for instance."

A man in a calendar-print jacket, shirt, pants, dress shoes, and jester's hat was standing in the middle of the small, cramped, general atrium of the store. He held a whipped cream pie that was sickly green and seemed to sizzle a bit with each jostling movement.

"Is that the calendar man that the others were talking about?" SuperNate said, at once.

"If he's not, then he's one heck of an impersonator," Faerie replied dryly.

"Pay attention to the pie," Blue said, with shrewd observation.

"What about it?"

"It's acid," Blue said.

"How?" the other two said, emphatically.

"Dunno."

"APRIL FOOLS!!!" the Creep shouted in a very Quackerjack way.

"I don't think you understand the traditions of April Fools," SuperNate said, quickly.

He threw the pie . . . as if he never threw anything in his life. It flew from his hand and landed, face-down, two or three feet away. The pie sizzled, and ate through the floor.

"Ol' Jackie isn't gonna like that," Faerie said. Jack Christensen was the proprietor of the store, and Faerie was on amicable terms with him. "Nope, not gonna like it at all."

"Was that it? Seriously?" Blue said, actually flabbergasted. "Are friggin' jok-- okay! That's only cool when I do it!!"

The Calendar Creep had vanished before the pie had began to eat through the floor.

"Um," Faerie said, "what was the point of that?"

But SuperNate had his mind on something else, as he seized a product from a shelf, "Oh, she'll love this."

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #4446 on: July 12, 2015, 12:21:29 PM »
I just realized how you're keeping in sync with the 100-books-is-one-year timeline. The time of year referred to in all the chapters is sometime in winter but not yet Christmastime, which is somewhere like November, which would fit for book 92.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4447 on: July 12, 2015, 02:35:07 PM »
Yup. It's not gonna change either, I tend to stick to that as far as the chapter outlines go, and I'm currently planning Book . . . CDLVI, I think it is now. And as for this current book --

[spoiler=Behind-the-scenes snippet]I outlined this book and moved on to outlining the next some time before I made that decision. Originally, the Calendar Creep would attack on those days the holidays were on and he was more of a legitimate threat.[/spoiler]

New chapter.

CHAPTER ELEVEN:
Bunny Eggs

"Horse, I don't think this is the right way back to the forum," Marie was saying. Hunter was carrying Horse much the same way Misty carried Togepi, only Hunter didn't look too thrilled with this arrangement.

"Sure it is!" the little seal declared, with her pinniped-brand of bravado. "Trust me!"

"Famous last words," Hunter said, dryly.

Horse lifted her head up to look at Hunter, and said, "You might want to consider where my tail is placed when making snarky comments, Hunter."

"You might want to consider that I can drop you at any moment of my choosing," he countered.

"Do that and I'll freeze your snout," Horse issued the mock threat with a teasing tone.

"Horse, are you sure this is the right way?" Marie asked, quite seriously. "I'm sure we've seen that bush before."

"Sure, I'm sure!" the little seal insisted.

"Well, I'm n-- wait. There's someone nearby." Marie replied.

Hunter sniffed the air. "That scent. It's human. And it's close by. Upwind."

"And lemme guess," Horse said, jaded, "he's the 'clubbing seals' type."

Hunter gave a teasing smirk, before returning to seriousness, "A scent cannot tell such things. Unless they have fresh blood on them, I suppose."

"Thanks for the image," Horse said, tonelessly.

"You're welcome."

"HAPPY EASTER!!!" this newcomer declared rather more loudly than necessary. He wore a calender-print bunny suit with an exposed face and a white domino mask (despite not wearing one before now, his identity easily discoverable). He carried an oddly colorful weapon that looked like a cross between a bazooka and a rocket launcher.

"It's not even Christmas yet," Horse said. "You'll just have to hold your horses. Uh -- not unlike what Hunter is currently doing right now by holding me."

"BANZAI!" the Calendar Creep, ignoring the talking seal. Hunter was forced to dive out of the way, with Horse still in his arms, rolling to his feet in the same movement.

"Did someone clone Parker again?" Horse said, sounding a little dizzy, as the color-dyed egg propelled from the overly-colorful bazooka smashed against a tree, revealing it contained a dull red concoction that proved highly adhesive. "Wait, was that gum?"

"Not funny, Horse," Marie said, her body tensing. She knew how hard it would be to get that stuff out of fur. She didn't want any embarrassing bald spots that would inevitably come from that.

"BANZAI!!"

Another miss, but Hunter dropped Horse just the same. And he didn't dodge. And he wasn't hit.

"BANZAI!!!"

Hunter withdrew his firearm with a practiced flourish and comfortable ease, as Horse said, mildly impressed, "Wow, his aim is worse than Rotiart's."

"BANZAI!!!!"

"Definitely worse than Rotiart," Marie agreed.

"BAN--" Click. "B-Ban--" Click. "Banzai?" Click.

"Don't think so, creep," Hunter said. He took aim, not for the Creep, but the handle of the bazooka. The most nonlethal shot he could make. Hunter's aim (though he would passionately deny it whenever the subject was approached) was second to only Parker's. "You're out of ammo."

Hunter fired, and the Creep was forced to drop the bazooka. He left it behind as he fled the scene. Hunter reholstered his weapon as he and Marie gave chase.

"Hey! Wait for me!" Horse shouted, tottering after the two. But the two had lost his trail rather quickly.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 03:37:08 PM by CloakedFigure »

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4448 on: July 12, 2015, 08:02:41 PM »
New chapter.

CHAPTER TWELVE:
In Dumber

Noelle, Sam, and Kelly were spending their spare time simply going to a movie. Only to find that they didn't really care for anything that the theater was playing. All three were disappointed, but then they saw a calendar-print snowman singing:

"Bees shall buzz.
People shall blow dandelion fuzz.
And I'll be doing whatever Creeps do, only dumber!
A drink in my hand,
My booty up against the burning sand,
Prob'ly getting gorgeously tanned, only dumber!
I'll finally see a summer breeze blow away a winter storm,
And find out what happens to Calendar Creeps when it gets warm.
And I can't wait to see,
What my enemies all think of me.
Just imagine how much cooler I'll be, if dumber!
Dah-dah, da-doo, a-bah-bah-bah bah-bah-boo.
The calendar and Creeps are both so intense,
Put 'em together, it just makes sense!
Rrr-raht da-daht dah-dah-dah dah-dah-dah dah dah doo.
Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
But make me dumber and I'll be a . . . happy Calendar Creep!
When life gets rough, I like to hold on to my dream.
Of relaxing in the dumber sun, just lettin' off steam!
Oh, the sky will be blue.
And you guys will be there, too.
When I finally do what Creepy things do, only dumber!
"

Then the guy in the suit, right on the street, took off the costume and simply wasn't there the next moment. The three RAFians blinked rapidly.

Noelle, in her human morph, was the first to break the silence, "Did you guys see that too?"

"Unfortunately," Kelly said.

"Eh," Sam said, with a shrug, "it could be worse. It could have been directed by M. Night Shyamalan or Uwe Boll."

"M. Night is a better human being, and the lesser of the two evils," Kelly said.

"Do you think that was that Calendar Creep guy the others reported?" Noelle said, with plenty of time still in morph. She was very conscious of the fact that she was in morph.

"I certainly hope not," Kelly said, "because that means that --"

"-- That we let him get away." Sam finished.

"Best get back to the forum," Noelle said, "besides, I have an hour and a half left in morph."

(January 7, 2020)

guitarhero01234

« Reply #4449 on: July 12, 2015, 08:59:11 PM »
Ok, PLEASE never refer to the Calendar Creep's "booty" again.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4450 on: July 13, 2015, 04:34:42 AM »
Noted.

This book might be slightly shorter than normal, a little less than the requisite twenty chapters. But you will know if I'm ending the book early by just aking a peek to the left there, my personal text.

New, shortish chapter.

CHAPTER THIRTEEN:
Inside a Creepy Lair

The Creep, wearing his calendar-print shirt, jeans, shoes, and white domino mask, pulled at a previously unseen belt of black leather with a gold buckle. Then he clicked a button on the buckle, and he vanished with a quiet crack.

Near instantaneously, he was in a massive, expansive room. It was not opulent, but was in a dilapidated state and poorly lit. The singular light that had a surviving light bulb (which was not on) swung a bit from the Creep's sudden appearance.

The warehouse room was not empty, and extremely drafty. It was not heated very well, and that was something that was under the "not good" heading during winter. But Valen O. Day, the Calendar Creep, didn't care. It suited his needs for the moment, so it served its purpose.

He had managed to procure a mattress, a pillow, and a couple of comforters. All hidden behind two large crates, unseen by any intruder who came into the warehouse by the front door.

He went ahead and bundled himself up in this nest-like bed, pulling the comforters over his head. He realized that he still had the domino mask on, so he popped it off and set it down beside his mattress. He prepared to sleep, sleep here again, squatting in a warehouse that he did not own, that was abandoned, that was forgotten.

Of course, the Creep wasn't the only squatter here, but the previous one had abandoned this warehouse as her headquarters a great deal of time previously. She didn't even realize that she had left behind some raw materials that the Creep was quick to capitalize on when he discovered this place, as he was now effectively homeless when he decided to become a supervillain, and a rather ineffectual one (though he remains oblivious to this fact) at that. His lease at his last place, in some irony, was still unbroken.

The holographic projector, the toxic turkeys, the ballistic balloon launcher, the flamethrower, the orb firework, the bow and the formerly-filled quiver, the acid pie, and the Easter egg bazooka -- they were all here when he got here. He just made a few alterations, and fixed them up a bit, although rather unskillfully.

But the Creep was confident that his little hiding spot, and his little nest within this hiding spot. Confident that it would never be discovered. Never considering that this place had a former proprietor, a former squatter that might be a little ticked of her stuff being used without her express permission.

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #4451 on: July 13, 2015, 10:22:44 AM »
She collected all that stuff?

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4452 on: July 13, 2015, 03:28:52 PM »
Made, more like.

They're detritus of discarded schemes, Saffa. She doesn't always implement every scheme she has. Some don't make the cut.

Anyway, new book ideas.

• Book DCCLXVIII: "Falling Out" -- Two RAFian foes have a tumultuous relationship, and the RAFians get sucked in.
  • Book DCCLXIX: "The Fmek Reject" -- A Fmek retreats to Earth for sanctuary, which is seen as treason by other Fmeks.

New chapter.

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:
Debatable

"He's dangerous," Genies said.

"You said that he missed you by a wide margin," GH said.

They were back in the forum, and they had called together a brief council. Not a forum-wide announcement, mind you. The Creep's potential threat level was a rather contested subject on both sides.

"Imagine if there were other people there at that time," she pointed out. "He may have been aiming for us, but he might have gotten someone else, someone he wasn't aiming for. That is why he's dangerous, if for no other reason but that."

"He has pitiful aim," Faerie said, "he has all the athletic prowess of Rotiart."

"Are you sure this guy is a legitimate threat though?" Parker asked.

"Didn't hear my point, Parker? The threat isn't because of --" Genies said, but Parker raised his hand to indicate that he wasn't finished.

"My point being, is this within our jurisdiction?" the SPARTAN said. "Can't the police force competently cope with a joke like this guy?"

"He had acid pies," Blue said.

"Pie. Singular." SuperNate corrected.

"Not to mention that little bunny bazooka he had," Horse said. Then she looked rather mutinously at Hunter and Marie. "And thanks again for leaving me behind, you two."

"And those ugly holograms he had," GH pointed out. "Assuming he programmed them himself, and didn't just take it from anyone else."

"Those pink-headed arrows," Helen noted. "And the bow. He had those, too."

"That ball firework thing, too," Dino added, with a slight harrumph -- she doesn't like her naptime to be interrupted, and she found that as a grievance with the Creep.

"And that flamethrower," Ash said. "He was going to torch a tree in the town square."

"Not to mention those sludge turkeys of his," Abby added.

"Don't forget his ballistic balloon launcher," Saffa put in. Then she had something occur to her, "My god, that sounds like a 90s action figure accessory."

"Again, why can't the cops cope with that?" Parker insisted. "Every report given was that he couldn't throw the acid pie to save his life, he couldn't shoot and hit his target at point-blank range, and he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. How does that necessitate it to our jurisdiction? I ask, not because I don't want to take action, but because that's how the media will ask, and they could quite easily turn the populace against us if the gullible are massive enough."

"The media be damned," Genies said, anger getting the better of her. "This guy is dangerous. He may not be dangerous like Malice or Queen, but his own ineptitude and incompetence, ironically enough, makes him dangerous!"

"Unfortunately, the media has a lot more power to wield than you give them credit for," Cloak said, speaking at last. "Jombo and the Spineless Ones are crystal-clear proof of just how far it can go. And how destructive it could be."

"I still want to know how he escaped me," Blase said, mulishly. "One second, I had him. The next second, he was gone with no trace."

There was a brief muttering of confirming agreement, followed by an uneasy silence. It was only broken by . . . er, Broken.

"It's almost as if he Apparated," the magic expert said.

"That would mean that he was versed in Potterian magic," Faerie said.

"Who said he wasn't?" Broken said, with a shrug.

"There really isn't any evidence on way or the other," Richard noted.

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #4453 on: July 13, 2015, 04:00:57 PM »
So the previous occupant was...? :o

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #4454 on: July 14, 2015, 03:02:46 AM »
Oh, I think you know.

New chapter.

CHAPTER FIFTEEN:
Deductions

"The question should be where he's holding up, where he sleeps," Cloak said, with his usual quiet seriousness. "That would be where he stores his stolen or created gadgetry, as well as his workshop, if, indeed, he does make his own toys."

"And we haven't a clue where that could be." Genies said.

"Well, that's not entirely true," SuperNate said, "as we have not started to look for clues."

"Thank you for that, Confucius," Genies retorted acidly.

"As you wish, young one," he said, in deliberate self-mocking tones.

"He does have a point," Parker said, rubbing his chin, before realizing he was still wearing his helmet. "The task does seem daunting at first, but there are place we can eliminate."

"Like where?" Gaz asked.

"Places highly trafficked, for one," Blue said, thoughtfully. "With that fashion sense, he'd be easily noticeable. Someone would be bound to notice him if his lair was in a place where passersby were a common feature."

"I concur," Cloak and Richard said in unison, but Richard continued, "that eliminates a fair bit of ground to cover."

Cloak noticed that they seemed to assume they had jurisdiction in this matter. He kept this opinion to himself, though he wondered if he should.

"How can we be sure that he's still in the city?" Marie asked. "Couldn't he have his nest outside of the city, in another town perhaps, and he commutes to this one to commit his crimes?"

"What crimes, exactly, has he committed?" Saffa asked.

"Attempted murder, destruction of public and private property (if a store's floor is considered private property), attsmpted destruction of public property, attempted homicide," Terenia said, offhand,"and probably more then I can think of at the moment. So, yeah. He's not above reproach."

"My point still stands," Marie said, primly.

"Unless he has a teleporting device capable of long-range transport, like instantaneous transmission or something," Blue said, knowingly, "I don't see how. Unless he has a vehicle with cloaking technology. But that wouldn't fit with that flashy personality of his."

"But then that contradicts the whole 'not highly trafficked area' thing, doesn't it?" Hunter asked.

"Not really," Cloak put in, "not everyone can be 'on' like that. Everyone needs some time to themselves once and a while. Otherwise, I'd imagine it would be exhausting, being so flashy and extroverted."

"Well, where does that leave us? Which is the most isolated place in the city?" Helen asked.

"Best guess?" Cloak said. "Those abandoned warehouses."

"You mean that district that Malice used to have her headquarters in?" Parker asked.

"What better place to start than there?" the Realm Walker inquired earnestly.

(January 7, 2020)